Start by marking “Antropologia de La Pobreza - Cinco Familias” as Want to Read:
Antropologia de La Pobreza - Cinco Familias

Antropologia de La Pobreza - Cinco Familias

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  196 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
This seminal work in modern cultural anthropology is a dramatic and forceful account of the men, women, and children of five poor Mexican families.
Published September 1st 2002 by Fondo de Cultura Economica USA (first published January 1st 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Antropologia de La Pobreza - Cinco Familias, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Antropologia de La Pobreza - Cinco Familias

Nancy
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd already read The Children of Sanchez and The Death of Sanchez by this author, and was thrilled to run across this one completely by accident at the library. This one depicts a day in the life of five Mexican families - one in a rural village and four in Mexico City. Even though it was written in the 1950s, a lot of the details reminded me of the colonia I visited outside of Mexico City, and of the stories of my students and friends. The book is a work of anthropology that reads like a novel. ...more
Lukman Hakim
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lewis mengintegrasikan dirinya dalam keluarga miskin di Meksiko. Ilustrasi kemiskinan diceritakan sangat mendetail dalam buku ini. "Kemiskinan sudah menjadi budaya yang secara senagaja diciptakan oleh kelas atas" sebuah "kemiskinan menjadikan diri mereka tidak berdaya dan tidak memiliki kekuatan untuk membela diri, hanya kekuatan komunallah yang mampu mengangkat dan menyampaikan suara-suara orang miskin
Keeley
Apr 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives descriptions of one day in the life of each of five families. Four of the families are poor, and the researcher takes great care to depict events as they happened as if he were telling a story. He also gives relevant background information where applicable. I enjoyed reading about how the people of Mexico live and to get some insight into their lives. I realize this lifestyle if from the 1950's but it is still very interesting.
Nisaa
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
buku terjemahan yang aku baca.. Menceritakan tentang kisah lima keluarga yang ada di Mexic pada tahun 50 tahun.an.
Metode penulisan yang digunakan oleh Oscar lewis adalah Novel etnografi karena Oscar bennar - benar menggambarkan tentang lima kelurga tersebut. Seakan-akan pembaca ikut terjun dan melihat secara langsug kegiatan sehari-hari mereka.
Recomennded buat yang menyukai etnografi
Len Gibbs
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As an excursion of the poverty in 1950s mexico it is probably unique. However, the detail can become overwhleming and also questionable (how does the author know what people are thinking?). It does not draw conclusions and perhaps that is deliberate but I think the book would have benefited from some proper ending.
Jackie
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a great book to read. It was assigned to me for a class in college and dreaded it. However, it was a pleasant surprise, I couldn't put it down. I was actually upset when the book ended and there were no other families to learn about.
Erin
Jul 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erin by: Dana Bolluyt
I had to read this when I was a senior in high school for my Spanish IV class. As someone who has enjoyed the luxuries and tolerated the challenges of a lower class citizen of Mexico, I thought the book was accurate and educational.
Jim
Sep 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this while at the University of Southern Mississippi but cannot remember for what class. What I remember is the book had a big impact. This is odd because I do not remember a single story or line from the book. I just know it is going to be on my reread list.
Jchin
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different take on ethnographies. I jumped into the study because of the work of Donna Beegle as she explored poverty. A very god read, but dated.
Rabinovich Ed
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buen ensayo, una imagen del México de antaño.
Barb
Oct 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a thoroughly interesting Ethnography; though, it was hard to read in the sense that it was somewhat sexist (understandable due to time period) but also depressing to read.
Sheabody
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic.
Diana Elizabeth
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
i really wanna read this book!!!
Busra
Aug 10, 2007
Elisa
Sep 29, 2009
pjr8888
my copy is paperback Mentor Book, pubished by The New American Library, c 1959, sixth printing
Nelly
  • Crossing Over: A Mexican Family on the Migrant Trail
  • No Shame in My Game: The Working Poor in the Inner City
  • Weapons of the Weak: Everyday Forms of Peasant Resistance
  • Forgotten Dead: Mob Violence Against Mexicans in the United States, 1848-1928
  • Capitalism and Modern Social Theory: An Analysis of the Writings of Marx, Durkheim and Max Weber
  • Leftism Revisited: from de Sade and Marx to Hitler and Pol Pot