Start by marking “Lou Gehrig: The Luckiest Man” as Want to Read:
Lou Gehrig: The Luckiest Man

Lou Gehrig: The Luckiest Man

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  224 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
This biography traces Gehrig’s life, from childhood through his illustrious career with the Yankees to his struggle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and his tragic death at age thirty-seven. Expressive illustrations capture the strength, modesty, and dignity for which this remarkable man will always be remembered. “Readers will feel good after reading this biography--and ...more
Published April 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

Steve Holden
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This has been another baseball biography I've made available in my room throughout the beginning of the MLB season and my baseball unit. This takes readers through Gehrig's young life, through successes (and hard times) of his great playing career, and his diagnosis of ALS. It's a good biography, and seems to hold the interest of young students. I've seen more intriguing options for them in this genre, and with them, give information in more effective ways. Regardless, it's hard to not include a ...more
Emily Tidwell
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This autobiography of Lou Gehrig is a book that not only shows the life of Lou but why he is considered the most luckiest man. His life began in 1903 in New York City, in an area with immigrants just like his parents. Unlike most families during this time period, the Gehrig's loved the aspect of education and had a desire for their son to attend school. After going to college in 1923, he was signed to play for the Yankees after two home runs. He then went from not missing a single day of school ...more
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book details the life and career of Lou Gehrig from his childhood to his death. Gehrig's impressive career with the New York Yankees as well as his influence in his community are outlined in this narrative. I rated the book so highly because of the beautiful illustrations, detailed account of historic information, and endearing depiction of "the modest Lou Gehrig." This book would be perfect for an interactive read aloud or social studies integrated lesson.
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades 3-5
This is a great biography of Lou Gehrig, detailing his time as a NY Yankee and relationship with the team and Babe Ruth. It is a very inspiring book and touching story. I loved it. Highly recommended for Grades 3-5.
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a children's book that made me cry. Taught me a few things, too, like how the Yankees started out in Baltimore.
Kelley Gavel
Title (italicize): Lou Gehrig: the luckiest man
Author: David A. Adler
Illustrator (if separate from author): Terry Widener
Theme(s): transportation, song, country, etc.
Opening line/sentence (type directly from text):
“1903 was a year of great beginnings.”
Brief Book Summary (2-3 sentences in your own words):
This follows Lou Gehrig’s career through adolescence to the big leagues. This book dives into the struggles of his diagnosis of ALS and his perseverance through the disease.
Title: Lou Gehrig: The Luckiest Man
Author: David A. Adler
Illustrator: Terry Widener
Genre:Picture Book
Theme(s): Celebrating life, baseball
Opening line/sentence: “But the Yankees fans and the team wanted to do more”
Brief Book Summary: Lou Gehrig was a baseball player on the New York Yankees. He was very successful as a baseball player. Lou always had a positive outlook on life even though he was diagnosed with a rare disease at a young age.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:This picture-b
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Genre: Junior Book- Biography
Summary: This biographical picture book tells the story of Lou Gehrig’s life. Gehrig came from humble beginnings, but went on to become one of the best baseball players to live. Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with a rare life-threatening illness that ultimately cut his baseball career short. The inspirational tale of “the luckiest man” encourages everyone to be grateful of each day we are given.
Critique- Historical Information
Lou Gehrig’s short life lasted from 190
Mary Mitchell
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
• This book describes Lou Gehrig’s life from childhood, and reveals details about him that we may not know. These details include that his mother was adamant that he went to college, and that he never missed a day of school in grade school or missed a game in the 14 years he placed baseball. While these may seem irrelevant, Adler uses these details to convey the type of person that Lou Gehrig was, and not just as a baseball player. Terry Widener’s illustrations capture the energy and emotions of ...more
Mrs. Tongate
Having had a student's father die of ALS, I wanted to know more about Lou Gehrig.

Lou Gehrig was born and raised in NYC. His mother valued education and thought sports were a waste of time. He attended Columbia University. He eventually quit when a Yankees scout saw him play while at Columbia. He received a good salary plus a $1500 signing bonus. His mother was furious, but his family needed the money.

Lou Gehrig #4, played in 2,130 consecutive games. A shy man who never missed a game. He was MV
Watervliet Public
No Yankee fan should miss THE LUCKIEST MAN, a gripping and emotional biography that depicts the inspiring and tragic life of home run hitter Lou Gehrig.

As most people know, Gehrig was the second greatest home run hitter of the Yankees after Babe Ruth. The two of them played together in the Twenties and Thirties, and were depicted in the press as a dynamic duo much like Batman and Robin.

In real life, however, Ruth and Gehrig were opposites. Both were from the streets, and both were sons of Germa
Payton Hiscok
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Henry Louis Gehrig, Lou for short, was born in New York City in 1903 to German immigrant parents. Gehrig excelled in baseball and played in both high school and college before being signed to play professionally for the Yankees. Lou's mom did not approve of this choice and thought it would be better for him to finish college instead. Despite this, Lou played for the Yankees for fourteen years and earned many awards including two MVP's. However, in 1938, Gehrig became very weak from sickness and ...more
Cassie Ehrenbock
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lou Gehrig: The Luckiest Man is a biography about the world famous baseball player who eventually succumbed to the disease we all know now as ALS. The author wrote his story in sequential order beginning with his birth and ending with what his legacy is now. What makes this book a fascinating read is that many of the details included about his life aren't as well known. We learned how he spent a semester at Columbia University before becoming the baseball story people knew and loved. We also lea ...more
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Interest Level:3-5
Grade level Equivalent: 3.5
Lexile Measure®: 750L
Guided Reading: M

This book is about the life of Lou Gehrig, from youth to adult. The books shows oh his strong work ethics instilled by his mother, from his never missing a day of school, to never missing a game. The book demonstrates how humble and hardworking Lou Gehrig was, and how he never gave up. The book walks us through his caree
Oct 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-5, biography
While I love baseball, this is not my favorite book.

This is a biography of Lou Gehrig of the dreaded Yankees. I have fun teasing the students about the Yankees. Why there are so many fans in South Jersey has always amazed me. Anyhow, Lou was a remarkable man. Students learn of his dedication to the game, his modesty, and tragically, his disease.

The students always seem to be into the book, which is good. Judging from test scores, they "get" what they need from the reading. Again, there is good
Elizabeth Taylor
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a biography about famous baseball player, Lou Gehrig. The book shares stories of Gehrig from his childhood to his heart-breaking death. I like that many of these stories are about aspects in Gehrig's life that aren't often shared. I found it really awesome that his family was so big on education in a time period in history where many people didn't worry too much about higher learning. Gehrig never missed a day of school, similiar to how he went 10 years without missing a baseball game. T ...more
Book Riot
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very nice and beautifully illustrated children's biography of the baseball great Lou Gehrig. It covers his childhood, the disappointment of his mother when he chose baseball as a career, focuses on his intense work ethic that enabled him to have his amazing consecutive game-played streak. And then the sadness with which he took himself from the line-up when he was no longer able to perform up to his standards. Finally ending with the outpouring of love and admiration from the New York ...more
Samantha Howard
This biography tells the story of Lou Gehrig, from his childhood to major league baseball career and diagnosis of a rare disease. This is a biography because it is someone telling his true story. I chose this book because it is great for lower elementary students, between 1st and 3rd grades, depending on the teacher involvement and the student’s ability. This book could be used to tell the story of triumph and inspiration, and to spark conversation to build students’ character.
Children's Literature Project
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Guided Reading Level M.

Lou Gehrig was born in New York. He attended Columbia University and left to become a professional baseball player. He was a great baseball player and was inducted into the hall of fame. At the age 36, he contracted a disease in his central nervous system (known today as Lou Gehrig's disease). He is remembered for his bravery and courage during his illness.

This book is great for 3rd grade.
Hannah Carlson
This is a great biography book for beginner readers. I think a child interested in baseball would really enjoy this book. Even though this book is centered around a very sad subject (ALS), the book is written with the positive mindset of Lou Gehrig. I wish the book would have explained a little more about the disease the Lou Gehrig had (it just said that he had a terrible disease- it never mentioned that he had ALS) because I think it is an important part of his story.
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is the story of Lou Gehrig. One of the New York Yankees greatest players of all time. He also happens to be one of toughest men you will ever meet. This is an extremely well done biography. Artistically the book is appealing using detailed images that have been painstakingly researched and presented with accuracy. This is a must read for any true baseball fan.
Jordan Plank
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el-230
This book covers the life of Lou Gehrig. Naturally I chose this book to be a part of my collection because it had to do with baseball. Lou Gehrig is a big name in baseballs past and I think it is important for kids to know who he is, especially because kids can then make the connection to Lou Gehrig's disease and who Lou Gehrig was.
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is entirely a secular book but it does "give praise where praise is due," emphasizing that what made Lou Gehrig so beloved by his fans was his exceptional integrity more than his skills as a baseball player, holding him up as an example of good character to all children regardless of what vocation they choose.
Savanna Grace
This would be a great book for boys in the classroom who have trouble finding something to read about something they enjoy. This was a wonderful book about a great American figure who will never be forgotten.
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have always liked and shared this picture book biography of the great Lou Gehrig. His gentle spirit and positive attitude were qualities to be admired. This book is older and if written today, I'm guessing the back matter would be very interested!
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-2015
A beautifully illustrated biography of one of America's great men. His story is poignant, yet inspiring. My fourth graders loved it. It is a great read aloud to use for Black History month...or anytime.
Corri Johnson
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4th-grade
Just read this one out of our 4th grade basal book. I decided that I knew nothing about him. I really enjoyed this book and even got a little emotional reading it to my class. Bought it just to have in my library.
Feb 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
in the book lou gehrig ,it shows how lou was courageous and never complained about anything . he went to the district of Columbia university! i learned to be thankful and always look at the bright side when things go wrong.
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Lou Gehrig was my father's hero when he was a boy. I almost never buy children's books for adults, but this was one that I gave him 2 year's ago on Father's Day. He was so touched to receive a gift that he knew I loved as much as he did!
Lou Gehrig: The Luckiest Man is a National Parenting Gold Award winning book. He was a true hero, and a picture of strength in the face of adversity.

Curricular connections: Read aloud, sportsmanship, baseball history, turn of the century and Great Depression era.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Noah Webster and His Words
  • Gandhi: a March to the Sea
  • Daredevil: The Daring Life of Betty Skelton
  • Molly Bannaky
  • You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?!
  • Thomas Jefferson: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Everything
  • Papa Is a Poet: A Story About Robert Frost
  • A Home for Mr. Emerson
  • Gingerbread for Liberty!: How a German Baker Helped Win the American Revolution
  • Dare the Wind: The Record-breaking Voyage of Eleanor Prentiss and the Flying Cloud
  • Passage to Freedom: The Sugihara Story
  • Whoosh!: Lonnie Johnson's Super-Soaking Stream of Inventions
  • The Boy Who Invented TV: The Story of Philo Farnsworth
Adler was born in New York City, New York. He graduated from Queens College in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in economics and education. For the next nine years, he worked as a mathematics teacher for the New York City Board of Education, while taking classes towards a master's degree in marketing, a degree he was awarded by New York University in 1971. In that same year, a question from his then- ...more
More about David A. Adler...

Nonfiction Deals