Start by marking “Fade to Blue” as Want to Read:
Fade to Blue

Fade to Blue

3.07  ·  Rating details ·  372 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
Sophie Blue started wearing a black skirt and Midnight Noir lipstick on her last birthday. It was also the day her father disappeared. Or spontaneously combusted. Which is sort of bad timing, since a Popsicle truck with tinted windows has started circling the house.

Kenny Fade is a basketball god. His sneakers cost more than his Jeep. He's the guy all the ladies (and their
Published August 1st 2009 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Fade to Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fade to Blue

Sesana
Mar 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, weird
What a strange book. Almost impossible to describe without going into an absurd amount of detail, or spoiling the many twists and turns the narrative takes. Let's try this: Sophie Blue's father is gone. He might be dead, or maybe not. Her entire family has been unable to deal with his absence. She herself may be going crazy, finding herself stalked by a speeding ice cream truck, hearing voices, and seeing strange things around her. Or maybe she isn't going crazy after all.

While I was reading thi
Donna
This book is nine different level of FUCKING AWESOME! I don't know what's better; the total snark attack or the fact that the plot is so FUBAR that you have to read it again and again and again because it's twisted your brain into a knot and no matter how much you squint, you just can't untie it.

This is not a book you can just skim through because if you do, you'll be more lost than Hansel and Gretel. You have to pay attention. And if you do, you will be amply rewarded and quite possibly become
April
Fade to Blue - like holy cow! It keeps you guessing to the very last. I definitely had NO clue where the story was going to end up - or where things were going along the way. Totally unpredictable. I have to admit to being a bit confused at times. I *think* I was able to keep up with things but it got pretty complicated. Doesn't change the fact that it was an entirely enjoyable read and I really liked the main characters.

Fade to Blue was also interesting because it had a small chunk that was a
Eric Townsend
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fade to Blue is like trying to explain insanity from the eyes of the insane. Even at the end you’ll have a bunch of questions that will go unanswered, simply because there was never an answer there to begin with. I think that’s exactly how Beaudoin wants it to be.

The book is, as the summary says, full of a crazy amount of plot twists that serve to confuse you as well as keep you on your toes. It makes you use parts of your brain that you didn’t know you had and probably wish you could hide and n
Jessica
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-crossing
This is definitely one of the strangest books that I have read in a while, and I'm not really sure if I liked it. It was a fascinating read, and I kept thinking about the book after I was done. But overall, I think it missed the mark in a few ways.
Fade to Blue is the story of Sophie Blue, who decided to start wearing all black, including her lipstick, on her last birthday, which was also the last time she saw her father. Sophie is pretty sure that she is losing her mind, and the scary dreams and
Paula Griffith
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a strange book meant for those who like those "edgy" books that drive many librarians nuts. What I can say about it is that it will hold your attention because you will be so busy trying to figure out what is going on and making predictions based on the clues that you will not be bored. Sophie Blue, also known as "Gothika," is trying to piece together a mystery that began with the disappearance of her father on her sixteenth birthday. He has been gone a year, and her family is falling ap ...more
Melissa
Jun 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of this book. Fade to Blue is an off-beat, confusing read, and I'm pretty sure it's meant to be. Parts of the story find Sophie and Kenny questioning their sanity, and as I read this, I found myself wondering if I was going crazy, as well. The book is that difficult to follow, but at the same time I found myself wanting to find out just what in the world was going on!

For the sake of being up front, this is the strangest book I've read all year. (And possibly t
E. Anderson
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fade to Blue is easily among the weirdest books I’ve ever read – and the most engaging. The heroine, Sophie Blue – or Gothika, as her not-so-friendly classmates call her – is haunted by visions of a mad popsicle truck driver, and thinks she hears a voice telling her to visit ‘the lab.’ Sophie’s best friend, Lake, an ex-cheerleader-turned-paraplegic, has little advice to offer. Her mother is too depressed and disconnected to help. The school counselor only makes her write essays, and her brother, ...more
April
Aug 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, dystopian
My initial thoughts after finishing Fade to Blue by Sean Beaudoin were WTF did I just read. Either this book is bloody brilliant or the most illogical, strangest book I've ever read. It sort of reminds me of Donnie Darko, I know I should get it, but I don't fully understand the work.
Read the rest of my review here
Carrie
I can not honestly rate this book. Not at the present time. I just can't. Too much odd for the wee hours of the morning to try and sort my brain around. I decided to read because I couldn't sleep, not realizing I would be finishing it and now I have to think about it. This strange little book. So nope sorry you get no rating from me right now, heck or real review. I, I just can't.
✟ℜoxanne✟(Death by Book Avalanche)
This book is very difficult to review as too much detail would spoil the plot. All I can really say is that this was one of the most bizarre and confusing books I have ever read. You're just going to have to read it...
Kelly Calabrese
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Clever writing and a story full of twists.
Matt
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Summary

I am not sure where to even begin with this novel. For the most part, I really liked the story and characters but overall I just couldn’t buy into the concept the author was selling. I saw the cover of this book while strolling through a local bookstore and I was totally intrigued. A Goth girl with green eyes combined with comic books, it is just an awesome design. I discovered that Fade to Blue is a young adult novel with a Sci-Fi edge to it but it is written for a younger audience. I w
Rachael
Jul 03, 2010 rated it liked it
On Sophie Blue’s last birthday, her dad disappeared. Since that day, she’s worn all black. Now, her birthday is approaching again, and Sophie thinks she might be losing her mind. She keeps having these weird dreams that she’s going to get run over by an ice cream truck with tinted windows, and there’s one just like it that keeps circling her house, which also keeps getting broken into. Then there’s this whole thing about a lab and an evil Nurse. Of course, no one but Sophie seems to know about t ...more
Brittany
Mar 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
One day Sophie Blue's father disappeared and no one knows what happened. Sophie has since noticed a Popsicle truck with tinted windows that seems to be everywhere. Kenny Fade is a popular basketball jock. He seems to have a normal life, up until he doesn't. The only thing linking Kenny and Sophie is that they are both starting to see and hear things that aren't really there.

It says that this book keeps you guessing until the last paragraph. It does because half the time you have no idea who's wh
Rosa
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Sophie thinks she is losing her mind, seeing an ice cream truck and having horrible nightmares where she wakes up with bruises that make her wonder what's really going on. Kenny thinks he's losing it to, hearing and experiencing weird feelings, static and mysterious computer code. What does it all mean?

This book kind of reminds me of the Matrix (I'm afraid to explain why cause it might be a spoiler so if you care about things like that skip the end of this run on sentence) because of the Virtual
Mars
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is the weirdest book I have read all year! This book has a lot of twists and turns and it made me so confused. I didn't know what was happening when I got halfway through the book. I love the characters in the first part but then I was thinking what the actual heck. I like the geekiness that is thrown on this book. The details are so hidden in this book but always shown. If you want to be thrust on this crazy book then I will say pick up. But prepare for being confused. A LOT!

When I was rea
Abby Johnson
Jul 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: blogged
Sophie Blue is a loner, goth girl who has to go to therapy sessions and talk about her father who disappeared on her birthday. Kenny Fade is a star basketball player and the most popular guy in school. These two high schoolers have absolutely nothing in common... except the fact that they're both pretty sure they're going insane. Weird things keep happening... or is it just all in their heads?

This book is a major trip with nonstop crazy action and plot twists all over the place. It's weird and
Gabi
Jul 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was an...interesting book to say the least. I'm not quite sure if it was my proverbial cup of tea, but there were many things I loved about it. I think I'm just not into all the philosophical undertones (and often overtones); makes my head hurt. But I certainly did love Sophie, the main character. Even though her journey was a little confusing and twisted it was interesting and quite realistic (even while being told through a slightly unrealistic string of circumstances). And I have to say ...more
Sue
Apr 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
This was the most confusing book I've ever read. And I read a book in which the 12 or so characters you were introduced to were really only 2 people with multiple personalities. In this book just about the time you thought you knew what was going on everything fell apart. Then there's a chapter written as a comic in the middle. I liked the characters. I just wasn't sure what was happening from one chapter to another.

There are a few narrators. Sophie Blue, aka Gothika, has a brother O.S. whose re
Karin
May 26, 2009 rated it did not like it
It is hard for me to even decide what to write for this review. I still don’t know if I understand what happened.

Sophie Blue is a high school senior. She lives the life of a loner – especially since the disappearance of her father. She has taken to dressing goth and is being forced to see a therapist.

Sophie feels like she is losing her mind. She keeps seeing a dilapidated ice cream truck everwhere she goes and sees things that others around her don’t seem to see. Her emotionally-detached mother
Lo
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: confused, 2012
(view spoiler) ...more
Natassja
I borrowed this book from the library thinking I would be reading a light-hearted quirky YA novel. It was not. I won't really discuss the storyline, because to be honest I'm not really sure what it was myself.
To me, it seemed I was reading through a dream, not really making sense, but it seemed to fit.

To get an idea of the theme, think Dr Who meets Tim Burton meets Grant Morrison. Completely nuts, but it works.

I must admit at the end I was mostly thinking WTF, but overall it was a ball to read.
Amanda
Jun 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
I was being generous by giving this book one star. The only reason it is getting one star is because the story line could have been great. Instead it was a jumbled mess of characters and the plot was nothing short of confusing.
I got the fact that Sophie's father left and she is supposed to be some weird expreiment, but I was so confused halfway through the book I really have no idea what happened between chapter twelve and the final chapter, which oddly is chapter zero. I felt like I could have
Lil' Grogan
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, ya, lol, 4, suspense, chokle
It occurs to me that when I was a "young adult" I didn't read young adult books. I had no interest in reading about other teenagers (I was too busy fighting orcs, oh the nerdity). I read about teens when I was 10, and now as an apparent adult. Hmm.

Thought the spinning out of the story was done well. From a seemingly normal situation (Sophie in therapy for her missing father) to the surreal. The slightly off-kilter feeling grew into outright paranoia as hints were dropped along the way. The end l
Tori Pierce
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect blend of every genre that appeals to me. It's sci fi, with horror and romance and mystery and a zombie attack and an added comic strip ..it is just fucking insanity. At first it doesn't make any sense but it will eventually start to sink in if you read it thoroughly. It really is not your typical teenage book. Looking at the cover I thought it would be like about some depressed emo chick and was like fuck it lets read about some boring teenagers problems. I was in expectation ...more
Kathy
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Follow the story of Kenny Fade (Fah-day) and Sophie Blue in this fast paced story. The chapter titles count up from 0 until you reach the comic book and then count down to 0. The three stories are all interrelated. You follow Sophie Blue as she tries to piece together what happened to her dad and why that Insane Ice Cream truck keeps trying to run her down!

The book is filled with smart, sarcastic comments, pop-culture references, and virtual reality. I couldn't put it down, except to look up Sea
Sasha  Mizaree (Reviews)
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
So at first I found myself thinking "This cover is really amazing, Hope it's not a let down" (yes I'm a sucker for pretty covers, especially once featuring badass goth girls).

Then I started reading. My reaction at first was "Huh?". I found it a bit confusing, but of course that was the point. It did start to come together, gradually, revealing everything in the end.

The comic book pages were a cute touch.

Overall, the book is very short and is worth the read. If you don't mind having your mind f
Desmond
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
This book jerks you around and you never truly know what is going to happen. Much of it was confusing for me, but I think that it was perfect that way, since the main characters were confused to the point that they believed they were insane. I feel like there is some kind of easy to grasp explanation to what I read, but it escapes me the harder I try to reach it.

I was very fond of Sophie Blue and was rooting for her from very early on. I was so frustrated by the (view spoiler)
Coralie
This was a YA book that I do not recommend. The main character's father disappeared one day, and ever since, wierd things started happening to her and her brother, and some of their friends. This book was science fiction, and hard to follow and understand. Other reviewers on goodreads have compared this book to The Matrix. It's a good comparison, I didn't understand The Matrix either, and the switching between realities that occurred in both Fade to Blue and The Matrix caused them both to be con ...more
2017 Reading Chal...: Fade to Blue by Sean Beaudoin 1 11 May 15, 2015 06:01PM
  • The Doom Machine
  • Paint It Black: A Guide to Gothic Homemaking
  • Fairest of Them All
  • Stranded
  • Death Never Sleeps (Michael Nicholas #1)
  • Vampire Mistress (Vampire Queen, #5)
  • Andromeda Klein
  • The Sky Always Hears Me: And the Hills Don't Mind
Sean Beaudoin is the author of five Young Adult novels, including the rude zombie love story The Infects, and the black comedy rock and roll love story Wise Young Fool. Sean likes love stories almost as much as he loves to talk about himself in the third person. Welcome Thieves is a short story collection that will be out March '16 with Algonquin Press.
More about Sean Beaudoin...