Start by marking “The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus, #1)

The Amulet of Samarkand

(Bartimaeus #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  104,139 ratings  ·  4,659 reviews
Nathaniel is a boy magician-in-training, sold to the government by his birth parents at the age of five and sent to live as an apprentice to a master. Powerful magicians rule Britain, and its empire, and Nathaniel is told his is the "ultimate sacrifice" for a "noble destiny."

If leaving his parents and erasing his past life isn't tough enough, Nathaniel's master, Arthur Un
Paperback, New edition, 480 pages
Published October 7th 2004 by Corgi Childrens (first published September 30th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Amulet of Samarkand, please sign up.
Kay I don't think they are similar at all. The writing style is totally different and with alternating points of view. The underlying themes are also very…moreI don't think they are similar at all. The writing style is totally different and with alternating points of view. The underlying themes are also very different. They are both amazing series but different in their own right. (less)

·  104,139 ratings  ·  4,659 reviews

Ian
Aug 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: magic lovers / smartasses
This book had some ground to make up to begin with because after checking its copyright date, all I could think was, "It's a book...about a magic apprentice...in England...written after Harry Potter." And that meant that I was skeptical, although not to the degree that I thought the main character would be named Barry Cotter or something.

Well, there is one big way in which it's like Harry Potter...

...I stayed up all night reading it.

This is a FANTASTIC book, one that suggests that Harry Potter b
Jayson
(B) 72% | More than Satisfactory
Notes: An interesting premise and humorous to boot, but the story’s flat, characters aren’t very deep and the ending’s weak.
Jason Koivu
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Within the first few sentences my heart sank. Oh no, I thought, fanciful purple prose attempting to set a magical aura about the opening scene.

"GOTCHA!" shouted Stroud.

Well played, sir, well played.

One thing The Amulet of Samarkand does not do is take itself too seriously. That was a relief. I had approached this with trepidation. I'd heard good things, but I wasn't in the mood for some heavy going in a kiddies' fantasy world with evil baddies, precocious sprites, etc. No, instead what you get
Judith Arvesu
If the quality of a book rested solely on its plot, this would be an excellent novel. The general plot is, of course, standard fantasy fare (save the world!) but its details and the world built to drive it is unique. Also, there appears to be a second plot running under the main one which will obviously be continued in the later books, and this plot seems much more promising.

Story-wise, this first installment in The Bartimaeus Trilogy is respectably good. However, the writing failed to appeal to
Leah
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a wise-cracking djinn, such a tiny, jerkish upstart. You will absolutely devour this book. It's hilarious. Told from the very different viewpoints of Bartimaeus ( a smart-aleck djinn who has lived thousands of years and has nothing to show for it but an I rock you don't attitude) and Nathaniel (12 year old jerkwad apprentice whose lifelong dream is to be a huge im portant government official and have millions of obedient djinn slaves at his fingertips. Bartimaeus isn't making it easy for hi ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Amulet of Samarkand, Jonathan Stroud
The Amulet of Samarkand is a children's novel of alternate history, fantasy and magic. It is the first book in the Bartimaeus trilogy written by English author Jonathan Stroud. First edition was published in Sept. 2003 by Doubleday in the United Kingdom.
Characters: Bartimaeus, Arthur Underwood, Martha Underwood, Simon Lovelace, Rupert Devereaux
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز بیست و ششم ماه فوریه سال 2014 میلادی
عنوان: طلسم سمرقند اثر: جاناتان استرود؛ برگردان: محمد
Angela
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angela by: Kelly Hoffman
This is a difficult book to rate: It was very well-written, with an intriguing plot and engaging wit. That being said, I must admit that it was more frustrating than enjoyable for me.

The main problem was that I disliked both of the main characters: one is a wily demon (Bartimaeus), and the other is a 12-year-old kid who is way too smart for his own good (Nathaniel). I think you'd get a similar result if you paired C.S. Lewis's Screwtape with Rowling's Draco Malfoy. Don't get me wrong - I love "T
Alice
Nov 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book, the first of the Bartimaeus Trilogy.

It's tempting to compare the book to the Harry Potter series. Young boy. Magic. Sneaking around. Breaking the rules. Stern teachers. But the similarities really end there.

In Stroud's world, magicians have no power of their own - their power lies in the knowledge of how to summon (and enslave) spirits, like the djinni Bartimaeus, to do their will. These magicians are the proud, arrogant, entitled upperclass that pretty much oppress the
Zach Judkins
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Maybe I'm feeling slightly defensive, but I honestly believe some of the best books written today are in the childrens/young adult section. Well, the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud is a book that fits completely into the great books written for children. This is one of my favorite childrens book of all time, primarily because of the great characterization of its protagonist, Bartimaeus. Bartimaeus lives in a world where magicians gain their power not from magic, but rather controlling oth ...more
Ashley
Like many people in the early 2000s who found themselves clasped in the claws of fierce Pottermania, I was fond of trolling the internet for Potter related stuff. Somewhere, on some website (probably Mugglenet), some industrious soul listed a bunch of books to read while waiting for the next book to come out. This series made the list. I added it to my Amazon wishlist pronto, because that’s how I kept track of books I wanted to read before Goodreads was a thing.

And then I didn’t actually read it
Emma
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a reread for me and a whole load of fun it is too! A young and talented magician gets himself in a whole bunch of trouble when he summons a 14th level demon to help in with a task. Bartimaeus, the demon called, is a hilarious character and the story is a rollicking read. Recommended for all ages!
Richard
This book is very cleverly written, with two alternating strands of narration. One in the third person, tells the story mainly from the point of view of Nathaniel. The other strand gives us a different perspective on the characters and events but it is in the first person, from the point of view of the devious, superior and sarcastic otherworldly being Bartimaeus.

While it bears some resemblance to other narratives of the underdog sorceror's apprentice (Harry Potter leaps to mind), this is diffe
Audrey
I don't know who or what recommended this to me, but I loved it. It is hilarious, adventurous, fast-paced, and creative.

In modern England, all the politicians and noblemen are magicians, and everyone else is a commoner. The story begins with a young but gifted apprentice magician summoning a djinni (genie), Bartimaeus. He sends Bart. off to steal the Amulet of Samarkand. This sets in motion a chain reaction of events that are perilous and fantastical and ultimately build up to a big climax. Eve
Daniel
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Priča o dečaku iz Londona koji raste uz Gospodara koji ga ne podnosi ali je primoran da ga trpi. I dečak oće da postane moćan čarobnjak. Zvuči poznato :) Ali glavna razlika je u samoj magiji u odnosu na druge slične poriče pošto ovde nema bacanja čini u klasičnom smislu već se prizivaju magična bića koja bacaju čini za vas. Bića ima različitih klasa i snage itd. Sasvim fino smišljen sistem.

Sama priča je u suštini jednostavna ali je prošarana sa puno humora (naročito sarkastičnog) što čini sve za
Stephen
4.5 to 5.0 stars. A very fun read, with an intelligent, engaging magic system and a wonderful title character ... namely the Djinn Bartimaeus. This is one of my favorite YA fantasy series.
Ivana Books Are Magic
Getting straight to the point. I absolutely loved The Amulet of Samarkand. This novel written by Jonathan Stroud was such a pleasant surprise. Don't you just love when that happens? You pick up a book from some author you have never heard off but before you know it, you're totally immersed in it and enjoying fully the reading experience. Yes, that's the best feeling in the world or just about. That was pretty much my experience with my first Jonathan Stroud novel, which also happens to be the fi ...more
Ghazaleh
سه؟چهار؟ نمیدونم چند ستاره بدم خوبه!!!!
به نظرم نویسنده خیلی خلاقه که تونسته این همه شخصیت عجیب و غریب خلق کنه.
پاورقی ها یکم برای من خسته کننده بودن، مخصوصا اونایی که خیلی طولانی بودن :)) اما مثل اینکه نصف جذابیت کتاب برای طرفداراش به همین پاورقی هاس.
Gypsy

راستش بارتیمیوس اونقد برام جذاب نبود. خود بارتیمیوس چرا، زبان طنزش و پاورقیهاش خیلی عالی بود. نویسنده مشخصاً خلاقه، از فکری که برای دنیای جادوگریش داشته تا همین طنز بارتیمیوس و شیوۀ راوی دردسرسازش. دو نوع روایت رو پابهپای هم پیش ببری کار راحتی نیست. از ارباب ناتانیل بدم میاومد. خیلی رومخ بود. کلاً عجیبه که دیگه مثل سابق از فانتزی اونقدرا لذت نمیبرم. از علمیتخیلیها چرا، یا ترسناکها یا مثلاً فانتزی حماسی. اما میدونم اگه راهنمایی یا دبیرستانی بودم اینو میخوندم، خیلی بیشتر لذت میبردم. برام ملالآور ب
Yasamin Seifaee
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, persian
ساعت 5 و ربع صبح و من این کتاب رو برای بار دوم خوندم :)
شاید ریویو نوشتم شاید هم ننوشتم. ولی دوباره خوندن این کتاب برام لذت بخش بود. :)
ویرایش:
هومم دلم میخواد خیلی چیزا بگم ولی همه ی حرفام برای جلد سومه. که وقتی انشالله دو جلد بعدی رو هم دوباره خوندم تو ریویو جلد سوم میگم :دی
ولی شاید الان یه اشاره هایی بکنم :-"
خب راستش بعد از اینکه این کتاب رو دوباره خوندم به نظرم باید چیزی بین 4 و نیم و 5 میدادم به کتاب و نه 5 کامل. ولی چون درس خیلی بزرگی از این سه گانه گرفتم این موضوع رو نادیده میگیرم!
واسه من بع
David
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Maitrey
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
This is a hilarious, fast-paced book about a world where many state governments are ruled by magicians. Great Britain, for example, is governed by an elite group of magicians--many of whom are greedy, ambitious, and uncaring for other people. Magicians themselves have limited powers; most of their strength stems from their ability to summon powerful demons who are obligated to do their bidding.

At the age of six, Nathaniel is apprenticed to a mediocre, hypocritical, incompetent self-consumed magi
AH
What an awesome book to listen to on a very long car trip! The narrator was incredible. He was able to change up voices and input just the right amount of pomposity into Bartimeus' character to make him both believable and humorous. For those looking for a book in a similar vein to the Harry Potter series, this story of a young apprentice magician is a must read. I would recommend the audio version to children ages 9+. The parents in the car enjoyed the story, too.

This audio book was downloaded
সালমান হক
Well i do not usually compare any book with Harry potter but this one here just made me do so. It was an amazing read. Nearly everything about the book is just great.
Jonathan created a new magical world where magicians have no power of themselves. They use the spirits(imps, djinnis,afrits) to complete their every tasks through summoning and commanding them. They are arrogant, boastful, self-centered creatures(the magicians). Every magician is assigned to train an apprentice.
The main protagoni
Femmy
Jul 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I love this book! A djinn with an attitude (who had me constantly chuckling to myself), and a boy bent on revenge. Great characters, fast-paced action, fully-realized world with a cool magic system, what more could you want?

What I appreciate most, though, is that the characters face real danger. None of that false suspense -- you know, like the ones you see on movies/television like Prison Break . Apologies for the fans, but it really irked me whenever Michael Scofield is in the tunnel and the
Anna
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Απολαυστικότατο ΥΑ με ένα τζίνι που εκτελεί τις επιθυμίες του εκάστοτε αφέντη του σχολιάζοντάς τες!!!

Κλασικό παραμύθι, με συμπεθέστατους χαρακτήρες και μια πολύ ευχάριστη περιπέτεια. Το χιούμορ του όμως είναι αυτό που το κάνει να ξεχωρίζει. Πάρτε το δώρο σε αδερφάκια - ξαδερφάκια - ανηψάκια και διαβάστε το όταν αυτά κοιμούνται!!!!
Thomas J. Benedict
Very creative, different and refreshing!

I believe it was written for children, but it was a fun ride.
Eirini Proikaki
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Διασκεδαστικό,αστείο,με πολύ δράση.Ο Βαρτιμαίος με τις ατάκες του και την κοφτερή του γλώσσα με έκανε να γελάσω.
Jamie
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting and fun read. Bartimaeus is an unforgettable character and very witty. Well done Jonathan Stroud for a well invented young adult, fantasy novel. I ended up enjoying this book more than I thought I would.
When I first started reading, the pace was a bit...well, I guess scattered is the best way to put it. But Stroud quickly picks up the pieces and creates a unique and thorough environment and story. The book is written in two styles. The first is first person with Bartimaeus. He
Robin
Dec 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Robin by: my husband
Shelves: fantasy
I was given this book by my husband because I was feeling a bit overwelmed by a number of large fantasy reads I had on my TBR file. I had just read a number of "smaller" works and really enjoyed them.

I was instantly captivated by this book. The begining is one of the most creative starts I've seen in a long time. I loved the humor of Bartimaeus and immediately got an impression of the character and I loved is Bravado.

I found the footnotes entertaining - I know some people have been crtical of th
Hamidreza
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
اوه ... عجب کتابی ! هیچ کتابی تا حالا ندیدم که شبیه به این باشه . اطلاعاتی داشت که فقط از یه همچین نویسنده دانا و توانایی بر میومد . بعضی دیالوگاش واقعا به یاد موندنی بود و حالا حالاها جا داره تا روشون فکر کنم و مثال هایشون رو تو زندگی واقعی ببینم . نمیدونم چی دیگه بگم فقط میتونم بگم که مطمئنم عاشق این سه جلد میشم ...
Long Live Bartimaeus! 5 79 Nov 02, 2017 08:28PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Bartimaeus Sequence #1: Amulet of Samarkand - Starting 18th November 1 7 Oct 19, 2017 08:11PM
awsomeness 1 4 Sep 07, 2017 11:59AM
I wouldn't want this turned into a movie 42 480 Jun 11, 2017 03:20PM
SciFi and Fantasy...: Recommendation for Similar books - Anti Hero 24 663 Mar 20, 2016 09:33PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Ruler of the Realm
  • The Pinhoe Egg  (Chrestomanci, #6)
  • Fly Trap (Fly by Night, #2)
  • Lamplighter (Monster Blood Tattoo, #2)
  • Wizards: Magical Tales From the Masters of Modern Fantasy
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Seventh Tower (The Seventh Tower omnibus, #4-6)
  • The Ropemaker
  • The Edge Chronicles 5: Stormchaser: Second Book of Twig
  • Lilith (Uralte Metropole, #2)
  • The Sphere of Secrets
  • The Indigo King (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #3)
  • The Wish List
  • Pirate Emperor (The Wave Walkers, #2)
  • Gods of Manhattan (Gods of Manhattan, #1)
  • The Raging Fires (Merlin #3)
Jonathan Anthony Stroud is an author of fantasy books, mainly for children and youths.

Stroud grew up in St Albans where he enjoyed reading books, drawing pictures, and writing stories. Between the ages seven and nine he was often ill, so he spent most of his days in the hospital or in his bed at home. To escape boredom he would occupy himself with books and stories. After he completed his studies

Bartimaeus (4 books)
  • The Ring of Solomon (Bartimaeus, #0.5)
  • The Golem's Eye (Bartimaeus, #2)
  • Ptolemy's Gate (Bartimaeus, #3)
“One magician demanded I show him an image of the love of his life. I rustled up a mirror.” 389 likes
“And then, as if written by the hand of a bad novelist, an incredible thing happened.” 196 likes