Jump to ratings and reviews

Bartimaeus #3

Ptolemy's Gate

Nathaniel 17 treats Bartimaeus worse than ever. The long-suffering djinni is weak from too much time in this world, near the end of his patience. Rebel Kitty 18 hides, stealthily finishing her research on magic, demons, and Bartimaeus. She has a daring plan that she hopes will break the endless cycle of conflict between djinn and humans. But will anyone listen to what she has to say? Together the trio face treacherous magicians, a complex conspiracy, and a rebellious faction of demons. To survive, they must test the limits of this world and question the deepest parts of themselves.

501 pages, Hardcover

First published October 1, 2005

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jonathan Stroud

82 books8,849 followers
Jonathan Anthony Stroud is an author of fantasy books, mainly for children and youths.

Stroud grew up in St Albans where he enjoyed reading books, drawing pictures, and writing stories. Between the ages seven and nine he was often ill, so he spent most of his days in the hospital or in his bed at home. To escape boredom he would occupy himself with books and stories. After he completed his studies of English literature at the University of York, he worked in London as an editor for the Walker Books store. He worked with different types of books there and this soon led to the writing of his own books. During the 1990s, he started publishing his own works and quickly gained success.

In May 1999, Stroud published his first children's novel, Buried Fire, which was the first of a line of fantasy/mythology children's books.

Among his most prominent works are the bestselling Bartimaeus Trilogy. A special feature of these novels compared to others of their genre is that Stroud examines the stereotypes and ethics of the magician class and the enslaved demons. This is done by examining the perspective of the sarcastic and slightly egomaniacal djinni Bartimaeus. The books in this series are The Amulet of Samarkand, The Golem's Eye, and Ptolemy's Gate, his first books to be published in the United States.

Stroud lives in St Albans, Hertfordshire, with his two children, Isabelle and Arthur, and his wife Gina, an illustrator of children's books.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2,175 (2%)
1 star
1,010 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,386 reviews
Profile Image for Amanda.
254 reviews4 followers
February 1, 2016
I suppose I asked for it. Stroud did not disappoint. I wanted to see some profound acts of selflessness and boy did I ever.

I'll hand it to Stroud, he stayed true to his style the whole way through. No coddling, kiddies. And I say that most pointedly, as I find it difficult to imagine how this series ever made it to the Young Adult shelf--it's merciless, is what I'm saying. Not even a goodbye kiss, and I think that stung most of all.

No happy endings, at least, not in the typical way, either. I mean, even Tolkien let us have all our little hobbits in the end. Sure, Rowling killed off a few of our favs, but the trio lived to have their cheesy flash-forward on the platform. But, Stroud, the proud realist, gives us neither the salvation of our lead, nor the rosy glimpse of the future.

So, two of the main characters lived. I guess that's pretty fair odds, two out of three. Still, dead is dead. And as is the way of the living, any brush with death, even fictional, has a tendency to leave a somber shadow. And of course Nathaniel was my favorite all along, because he had the biggest challenge, the biggest change to make, and he did it, just like I hoped he would. Though it's decidedly soured my taste for acts of heroism in all forms. And I feel remarkably less of a romantic than I was when I began this story. Sort of like how I imagine the pain of silver might feel to a djinn's essence.

Ah well.
Profile Image for Jamie.
1,375 reviews1,103 followers
June 9, 2017
Fantastic final book to the Bartimaeus Trilogy. I actually give this a 4.5 stars. In this book, Bartimaeus, Nathaniel (John Mandrake) and Kitty are back. Its three years after the events with the golem from the second book. Nathaniel is now a member of the council and one of the closest magicians to the minister and holds substantial power. Kitty had been working as an assistant to a magician in order to gain knowledge on Bartimaeus and his past. Bartimaeus....well he is much as he has been in the previous books.
We get a good look at the relationship between Bartimaeus and Ptolemy in this novel. As Kitty works to unravel his mysteries, Nathaniel is busy with the war effort but is met with opposition from many ends. When Nathaniel's career is put on the line, it draws our three characters together to unravel the dark mystery of Mr Hopkins and the relations between magician and 'demon.' Nathaniel of forced to learn that many, including his former teacher, are disappointed in the person he has become and just how hated the magician rule really is. As he questions his loyalties, Kitty is put to the test of drawing 'demon' and human closer together.
This book had a much more mature viewpoint and style. While the others were lighter in general, this one is darker. More language, violence and a unexpected ending. Mind you, Bartimaeus is cynical as ever, so you won't be disappointed there. A great book for older youth and adults of all ages.
Profile Image for Mike (the Paladin).
3,145 reviews1,782 followers
January 4, 2018
This book is very close to 5 stars...let us say it's another of those 4.5 books. I can recommend it and I do, but with a caveat, it is considered to be a youth or YA book. Be sure that your "youth" is mature enough for the book. I will go so far as to add a spoiler below for those who wish to know in more detail what I mean.

This is the third in the Bartimaeus Trilogy. They are good books, and deal with in an over all sense attitudes of cooperation and equality. The Magicians are the ruling class here and the "commoners" those who aren't magicians mostly "exist" simply for the and to serve the needs and wants of the ruling class, said magicians. The Jinn and other beings from the other place are enslaved by the magicians. With everyone basically hating the magicians I think you can see how things might go.

Throughout the trilogy we have followed Nathanial (the human who becomes a magician), Bartimaeus the Jinni, and Kitty a girl in the resistance. The stories are very well done, have some great (even humorous) dialog, and draw the reader in. If you're a parent be sure that your "youth" has a good reality concept and is mature enough for a story that turns somewhat dark at times.

**** SPOILER ALERT SPOILER BELOW ****

The end of this book took me by complete surprise...and that doesn't happen much anymore. I am about to reveal the ending surprise to the story so if you don't want to read it read no further. I include it here for parents who may wish to know before allowing children to read or listen to these books.

****SPOILER BELOW ****

Profile Image for Ahmad Sharabiani.
9,568 reviews55.5k followers
April 9, 2018
Ptolemy's Gate (Bartimaeus, #3), Jonathan Stroud, C2005
Ptolemy's Gate is a children's novel of alternate history, fantasy and magic. It is the third book in the Bartimaeus trilogy, written by British author Jonathan Stroud. It was released in the United Kingdom in September 2005, and in the United States in December of the same year.
Characters: Bartimaeus, Kathleen "Kitty" Jones, Nathaniel
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: از هشتم ماه مارس تا بیست و پنجم ماه مارس سال 2014 م
عنوان: دروازه ی پتولمی؛ اثر: جاناتان استرود؛ برگردان: محمد قصاع؛ نشر: تهران، افق، 1391، در 760 ص، فروست: رمان نوجوان؛ ۸9، رمانهای سه‌ گانه‌ ی بارتیمیوس‏؛ 3، شابک: 9789643697525؛ موضوع: داستان‌های نوجوانان از نویسندگان انگلیسی -- قرن 21 م
بسیار خواندنی ست، حتما پیشنهاد میکنم بخوانید. ا. شربیانی
Profile Image for Liz.
540 reviews
March 2, 2011
I read this series a few years ago, and could never quite put into words how I felt about it. I adored The Amulet of Samarkand and The Golem's Eye, but by the time I got to Ptolemy's Gate...things changed. There I was, reading along all cheerily, thinking "what a great, funny series!" fully expecting a happily ever after. Then I read Ptolemy's Gate. I cried for an hour straight after the last page of this book. An hour straight. Then I took a break, and cried some more. This had never happened to me before; yes, okay, I'd shed a few tears and become misty eyed over a few books before, but this was completely different. I was bawling my eyes out and I couldn't stop. I just kept sobbing and sobbing. Luckily no-one was around to hear me or they'd have thought someone had died. I don't know why the ending shocked me so much; I should've expected it. But I didn't.

I wanted to hate this book. I really did. After I was done crying, I tried to convince myself the whole series was worthless and the ending didn't matter anyway. But I couldn't. I couldn't forget the wonderful characters, the magical world they lived in, the humour (Bartimaeus was possibly the funniest being I've ever come across in fiction), the way they grew up, the realisations, the heartbreak, the sacrifices. Nathaniel...that boy. I went from loving him, to feeling sorry for him, to hating the way he'd become, to screaming at him, to cheering him on, to pitying him, to loving him, to crying for him. The way Stroud developed his character...his writing is a magic of its own. Because Nathaniel was and still remains one of my favourite characters of all time; flawed, wrong, insensitive, tactless, kind-hearted, guilty, and above all, a hero. I felt for him more than any other character in any other book. Which was why the ending upset me so incredibly. And despite the fact the ending was the complete opposite of what I wanted, I still loved the series. The ending was still amazing. I realised it had to happen that way. And I just couldn't bring myself to hate it, no matter how much thinking about it made me cry.

I can never read this series again. Ever. I can't, because just thinking about how much I cried the last time makes me want to cry again. And I don't usually cry. Titanic? Nah. Bambi? Nah. But Ptolemy’s Gate...think Alice in Wonderland and the pool of tears. But that in no way means that I regret reading it. I think The Bartimaeus Trilogy is something everyone needs to read. Unlike most other children’s books, it doesn’t sugarcoat the bad stuff. It shows you how easily anyone can spiral into corruption. And it shows you how difficult it can be to redeem yourself. But most of all, it shows what it is to be a true hero. You don’t have to be a perfect, goody-two shoes to do what’s right.

And that, I think, is all you need to know. Read this book. Read this series. No matter if you like it or not, you won’t forget it.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller.
710 reviews1,152 followers
November 16, 2022
Check out my Booktube channel at: The Obsessive Bookseller

[4.5/5 stars!] It’s official: Bartimaeus is a new favorite series.

I cannot believe I let this one collect dust on my shelves for so many years. I had an inkling I’d like it, so I saved it for a rainy day… [Note to self: stop doing that!!! Read the best books now!]. I imagine had it not won for book club, I would’ve continued passing it up for several more years. Almost 20 was long enough.

For me this series had a Harry Potter-level of addictive quality. I was completely absorbed. I loved the atmosphere Stroud created, and couldn’t get enough of the demons. Picture if you will a story of magic and mayhem set London – evoking nostalgia of the muggle-heavy sections of Harry Potter where you get to see how magic in the world affects us very sadly ungifted people. It’s “magical” quality was strong through all three books and one of the reasons I found it so compelling.

I liked this third book as much as the first one. It gave me backstory on a couple of characters that I’d been craving from the beginning. Beyond that the pacing was on point, the characters had arcs I found completely satisfying, and the action was gripping. And it all culminated into one of the best endings I’ve read in ages. Truly a slam-dunk!

Recommendations: if you want a great story that will make you feel like a kid again, this is the series for you. It has the added bonus of being presented in a sophisticated, completely accessible for adults format with great humor and witty dialogue. The footnotes are everything, so I’d recommend going the print or ebook route for this one.

Thank you to my Patrons: Filipe, Dave, Frank, Sonja, Staci, Kat, Katrin, and Melissa! <3

Via The Obsessive Bookseller at www.NikiHawkes.com

Other books you might like:
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo (Leven Thumps, #1) by Obert Skye Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1) by Brandon Mull A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1) by Naomi Novik
Profile Image for Stephen.
1,517 reviews10.8k followers
July 19, 2010
4.5 to 5.0 stars. Having now finished the entire trilogy, I can say that this ranks in my top 5 "All Time" YA fantasy series ever. After loving the first book, The Amulet of Samarkand, I was a little disappointed in the second volume, The Golem's Eye, for reasons set out in my review. Thus I was a little worried about how the final installment would play out.

Turns out that each one of my gripes about the second volume were dealt with beautifully in this story. The series ended on an incredibly high (though bittersweet) note and I could not have been happier. Bartimaeus is one of the most unique "voices" in fantasy literature over the past 10 years and I hope to read more stories with him in the near future. HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!!

Winner: Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Young Adult Novel.
Profile Image for Paul Weiss.
1,182 reviews124 followers
October 31, 2022
A satisfying conclusion to an exciting trilogy

PTOLEMY'S GATE, the final novel of THE BARTIMAEUS TRILOGY - introduced in THE AMULET OF SAMARKAND and continued with THE GOLEM'S EYE - completes the tale of John Mandrake, the magician and now Information Minister in the corrupt government of a downtrodden, dystopian England. The dominant theme of THE GOLEM'S EYE - the corrupting influences of power, ambition and greed - left the reader mourning a flawed Mandrake's fall from grace and wondering whether he could find the moral strength and intestinal fortitude to re-assert himself as the fine young man left far behind in THE AMULET OF SAMARKAND. His one-time resistance foe, Kitty Jones, narrowly escaped from her encounter with the Golem three years earlier, has slipped under the radar entirely and is quietly learning the craft of magic herself. Bartimaeus, the witty motor-mouth djinni, is feeling weak, wan, sickly and near death as his essence or spirit has badly deteriorated as a result of his almost non-stop presence in the human's world subservient to his summoner, John Mandrake.

If THE AMULET OF SAMARKAND was a light-hearted, childlike (and definitely hilarious) romp through Mandrake's early education as a young magician and if THE GOLEM'S EYE was a richer, more gothic telling of Mandrake's succumbing to the siren calls of power, corruption and wealth as a member of England's ruling government, then PTOLEMY'S GATE is certainly the darkest of the three novels. Mandrake, Kitty and Bartimaeus, each with their own ambitions and motives, are all on a desperate life-or-death hunt for the perpetrators of a coup that threatens to topple the government and throw their world into a dark demon-ruled chaos.

In PTOLEMY'S GATE, Stroud has treated us to a much more sophisticated, adult examination of motives such as cruelty and selfishness along with their mirror images, kindness and altruistic selflessness. The ending feels good, warm, cozy and satisfying in a way that is not entirely unexpected for a young adult novel but Stroud has also added the much more adult elements of sadness, death and loss.

Despite this darker approach to the story than its predecessor, readers need not worry that Stroud has lost his flair for comedy. Footnotes, while not quite as plentiful as in the first two novels, are still a veritable fountain of wit. They also introduce the character of Ptolemy and take us 5000 years into the past to build the character of Bartimaeus and provide the readers with an understanding of what it means to be a djinni painfully subservient to the beck and call of a summoning magician.

A highly recommended addition to the bookshelves of fantasy lovers and young adult readers.

Paul Weiss
Profile Image for Maria Salinas.
18 reviews
March 1, 2010
In this fantastic ending to a wonderful trilogy, Jonathan Stroud has managed to do something that I find is rarely done in any series. With Nathaniel, Kitty, and most importantly, Bartimaeus back for another riveting book, deeper conflicts emerge that we didn't fully understand in the previous two books. With secrets from Bartimaeus's past, we get a window peek at The Other Place, and a slowly changing relationship between the three characters, this book is by far the greatest ending to the trilogy.

Something interesting about Stroud's style of writing for this series, which was separating the narration between all three main characters, I find that what he creates is a perfect balance. Although Kitty's and Nathaniel's are both written in third person, Bartimaeus's is written in first. By doing so, Stroud has created a more personal bond with Bartimaeus than with the humans. By creating a bond with the deamon, we see the faults in Nathaniel and the things that make Kitty special and different. This plays with our emotions throughout, and at the end, I think, cause the perfect mix of sadness, excitement, and curiosity. The thing I value the most about this ending, is the fact that it's not the perfect, pretty in pink, happy ending we have seen so much of. It clearly shows that the world won't become perfect after it, that sometime hero's fall and not for noble causes but for selfish ones, and we are left with so many questions that will not be answered, leaving it up to our imaginations and creativity. For that, I am extremely grateful and happy with this book. Five stars and two thumbs up!!
Profile Image for Sache.
148 reviews
February 20, 2011
so, I decided to write my review here.

is it possible to give 7 stars for this book? because I really would have, if Goodreads allowed me.
meanwhile, I read this series right in fasting month where I lay my head in the midnight, read this book and sobbed like crazy when morning came. and I was not exaggerating, because it turned my eyes got very puffy, red, and I didn't mind.

first thing about so WELL DEVELOPED characters here:

Bartimaeus never ever got me bored with his funny wits, eccentric behavior. he was the kind of character you missed so much, he told everything in his mind in a cynical, sarcastic, unique way. he hated human world so much, toward John Mandrake who forced him to do what he hated the most, but he did everything to save them because for Kitty, who reminded him of his best master, Ptolemy. and as time passed by, I could feel that despite his resentful, he loved Nathaniel and Kitty.
though he would never say that.

Nathaniel, always the same selfish guy like ever, but you couldn't blame him, he was young yet he had enough authority to made every guy big-headed. still, as time passed and problems swirled, he learned there was nothing about authority that he turned to his old self, the gloom boy, eager to be a grown-up, sad, and determined. he did everything he could to settle things even if it means he had to sacrificed himself.
for one thing and another, he really was a VERY cool guy anyone ever imagine.

Kitty. in the first book, she was... well, there was not enough of her. in the second book, she was the kind of bossy girl but loyal to her friends. and here in the third, she amazed me.
the same strong girl after what she had been through, yet she determined to risk everything for her curiosity and justice. when she made up her mind, she would do it without hesitation.
but then she helped her own enemy, risked her life to save the world and cleaned up the mess though she hated the government much.
she was cool I wanted to cry.

second, the plot.

it was beautifully written, full of humor, romance, action, politic, the distaste of commoner toward authority, and everything. I couldn't imagine or judge what will happen next and it made me curious to finish this book, even didn't aware that I sobbed until the end of book.
I could feel how much angry Kitty was toward the government, commoners distrust of authority, and the war that began crumbling everything in London. Bartimaeus affection toward Ptolemy, or Nathaniel emotions when the world he tried to keep much ruined.
and the ending? so unexpected and beautiful! war was never any good, they had to settle everything that destroyed, Nathaniel had pay the government faults, Bartimaeus learned to trust a boy who had been an annoying master and a girl who risked her life for them, and the fact that Kitty had to face her life after the tragedy that followed her.

I slightly liked tragedy, and this series had the best ending I've ever read.

by the way, I heard Jonathan Stroud will release a prequel book about Ptolemy and Bartimaues in November. whooa, it feels like I'll get presents in November, like Harry Potter 7, and Bartimaeus!
I can't wait! :D
1 review
November 22, 2010
First of all, don't be fooled by the "Young Adult Fiction" label.I think anyone who enjoys a good read should give this trilogy a try. Yes, I even recommend it to those who don't normally read fantasies.
This books is the final installment in the Bartimaeus trilogy, and arguably the most unique and satisfying conclusion I've ever read in any story.
I find most fantasy heroes to be generic and predictable, for they are "destined" to fulfill an important role. They are depicted as brave, determined, and resourceful, yet they lack the fine flaws that make a character genuinely human. Stroud has captured exactly this. Nathaniel was not bestowed any particular talent, rather he drew his determination from a wounded pride. Spurred by a particular encounter with Lovelace way back in the first book, Nathaniel sought a way to gain his place in the world of politics and power, although he didn't really understand what true strength meant until the last few chapters of the book.
On another note, I really love the switch between John Mandrake and Nathaniel, with the former being the corrupt and power thirsty magician and the latter being the innocent youth. ALthough Mandrake always carried a piece of Nathaniel somewhere deep down, it wasn't until this final book did that identity completely crumble. It's a story about growing up and realizing one's life values.
I should probably comment on the great Bartimaeus himself. This witty spirit's utter most sarcasm had me rolling on the floor on countless occasions. I must applaud Stroud once again on this master piece creation. I've never felt such a deep connection with any character, probably because no one ever tried to use footnotes the way Stroud did.
Again, this is not your typical ending to an epic hero story. With Nathaniel's final act, everything comes to a full circle, where the present echoed the past. By renewing the bond Bartimaeus treasured so dearly, Nathaniel had rekindled the possibility of a harmonious existence between humans and spirits.
The ending isn't spelt out word for word, but the idea is there, albeit elusive.
I must make a final confession here, I actually cried upon reading the last words! But I must say, it is tears worth. No review could do this trilogy justice, you really need to read it yourself to understand.
Profile Image for Amin.
Author 9 books129 followers
May 29, 2018
الان که این چند خط رو مینویسم ساعت 5 صبحه و من تازه کتاب رو تموم کردم.
راستش نمیدونم راجع به این کتاب چی بگم.
آغاز داستان معمولی بود.ضعف بارتیمیوس برای من که باهاش ارتباط برقرار کرده بودم تلخ بود.
روند داستان بد نبود.اواسط کار داستان واقعا ��وج گرفت.زمان ظهور شیاطین در بدن های انسانی واقعا هیجان انگیز و هر لحظه اش غیر قابل پیش بینی بود.
اما پایان داستان.قبلا گفته بودم که داستان های با پایان شاد و خوب زیاد به دلم نمیشینه.داستان هایی که آخرش قهرمان با خوبی و خوشی ازدواج میکنه،با وجودی که قشنگه اما نه،اجازه بدین بگم که برام جذاب نیست.
شاید معدود داستان هایی بودن که این انتظار من رو برآورده کردن.
"دروازه پتولمی" یکی از اون معدود داستان ها بود.داستانی که 3 قهرمان متفاوت داشت.
تغییر ناگهانی خلق و خوی جادوگر داستان،با وجود سرگذشتی که داشت و وجدانش، غیر قابل باور نبود.اما حرکت آخرش،میتونم بگم تحسین برانگیز بود.
داستان پایان خوبی داشت و این ویژگی مثبت برای من اونقدر بزرگ بود که از بعضی از ویژگی های منفیش چشم بپوشم.
الان که به آخر این سه گانه رسیدم باید بگم از خوندنش پشیمون نیستم.
Profile Image for gio.
1,008 reviews387 followers
April 7, 2015
NO FREAKING WAY.

LYS GO HIDE IN A CORNER.

"I want to see what you think of the ending"
By now I should know that when Lys says that, I'm going to suffer. I mean, I didn't see that coming. At all. And it was a fitting and beautiful ending but...but, my heart is crushed, broken in little pieces! T.T

It's kind of pointless to talk about the plot, because I don't want to spoil the series for anyone. I loved Bartimaeus (Barty :3) and Nathaniel. I've always liked Kitty's character but I've never loved her part in the story. To me, this series will always be about Bartimaeus and Nathaniel and no one else.
Profile Image for OKSANA.
147 reviews56 followers
January 27, 2022
«Бартімеус. Книга 3. Брама Птолемея»
Джонатан Страуд
Видавництво «А-ба-ба-га-ла-ма-га», 2019

Це був дуже правильний вибір для підняття післясвяткового настрою!

Якщо ви пропустили цю трилогію - це must read для відпочинку!

Серія «дорослішає» разом з хлопчиком-чарівником Натаніелем. Тепер він став одним з Міністрів магії, але поступово втрачає свою людяність.

В цій книзі ви не будете вболівати за чарівників, бо вони в команді «поганців».

Для мене головна зірка цієї серії - це саркастичний, харизматичний, задиркуватий джин Бартімеус!

Дуже люблю «занурюватися» в книжки!

Ця книжка дозволить вам відчути магічний Лондон майже на дотик! (якщо ви читатимете паперову версію)))

Про книгу:

«Дія в книзі відбувається через кілька років після подій попередньої частини. Молодий маг Натаніель тепер є постійним членом британського уряду. Але він стикається з безпрецедентними проблемами: іноземні війни йдуть погано, а вороги Британії нарощують атаки поблизу Лондона.
Натаніель відноситься до Бартеміуса гірше, ніж будь-коли: багатостраждальний джин слабшає через занадто довге перебування в цьому світі, і його терпіння закінчується. Тим часом, під прикриттям в Лондоні, Кіті непомітно закінчує своє дослідження магії та минулого Бартеміуса. Вона сподівається розірвати нескінченний цикл конфліктів між джинами та людьми, але чи зможе вона здійснити свій план.
Перш, ніж будь-яка з цих проблем може бути вирішена, катастрофа обрушується на Лондон з несподіваного джерела, і доля знову зводить воєдино Бартеміуса, Натаніеля і Кіті. Вони повинні протистояти підступним магам, які будують довготривалі змови.»

Цитата:

Циклоп аж вирячив своє єдине, яскраво підфарбоване око.
«- Бартімеус?! - здивовано вигукнув він. - Це неможливо! Невже великий Бартімеус потрапив до такої дурної пастки? Ні, ти, напевно, біс аб�� мулер, що наважився вдавати його голос… Ні, ні, я помиляюся! Це справді ти! - Він вражено підняв брову. - Неймовірно! Тільки подумати, до чого дійшов славетний Бартімеус! Господар буде дуже невдоволений…»

#примхливачитака
Profile Image for Chie.
47 reviews5 followers
November 13, 2010
I understood the character Mandrake wholly, why he was scared,frightened or arrogant. And towards the end i was so proud that he was becoming such a wonderful person,i even hoped following this Kitty and him could be involved romantically, they had some sparks between them, but then JS had to do the inevitable, he took my beloved (cheesily feels for a character)just as he began living.

Tears were in my eyes,I had to stop myself from crying.I knew JS would do something horrible, and had a terrible feeling it was going to be Kitty or Mandrake. And there you go, like a fist pounding my heart, gone. And it hurt more than i expected because I practically GREW up physically and mentally with Mandrake( its funny i read all the books around his ages , when i was 10,then 13, then 15). As his demise neared all i wanted to do was tell Mandrake i loved him, no joke, no one deserves to die without hearing those words told with sincerity.

SO there it is, Ptolemy and Mandrake my lovelies. If magic is possible in that world, i hope in this book there is also heaven-like afterlife , because they deserve a chance at peace & happiness.I also thank Bartimaeus for giving them a taste of true friendship.My main point being it was an amazing book,using different methods i.e the fantastic plot and fantastic writing style, it really propelled me into 'living' in it.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Mary Grace Nakao.
180 reviews42 followers
June 22, 2014
This is by far, the best book ive read the whole year and possibly one of the best in my entire life. If I could make a top ten list of my favorite books, this is definitely one of the top five or three. Doesn't really matter cuz its THAT great.

Even up until now, I could still feel the tightness in my chest and the shallowness of my breath. I havent felt like this about a book for almost a year.

Let me start from the very beginning. The book started out okay. It wasn't really gripping enough but I persevered (albeit after a few more days of setting it aside). Bartimaeus is certainly not something or someone you could ignore. Teehee. After a couple more chapters, the book became more and more interesting to the point where I couldn't possibly put it down. There were so much going on but it never felt rushed. The pieces that have been given to the readers from book 1 and 2 came perfectly into place.

I must admit though that I figured out who the traitor is while I was reading book 2 but what the heck, the book still managed to kill me inside.

The usual humor is ever so apparent that I continually find myself chuckling at myself. Also is it wrong for me to associate this specific paragraph with this?

"But other cultures had no qualms about fusing djinn with inanimate objects: the Persians went in for carpets;

description

certain down-at-eel Europeans went by mortar and pestle. Venturesome Chinese magicians even tried their hand at riding clouds."

description

Despite all the shortcomings of Nathaniel and the other characters during the first and second book, the character development was indeed present. I could sympathize with Kitty and Nathaniel more. I think Jonathan Stroud did an excellent job finishing the series. I have no problems with it and personally think its perfect :D

Also, this is basically me when I was reading the second to the last page till the very end:

This is me when I had the idea of what is going to happen:
description

Then I became like this when it really did happen:

Then this
description

And out of sheer coincidence, it began to rain (its crazy! Its like the universe knows how I felt deep down inside) so I became:
description

Profile Image for David Rubenstein.
801 reviews2,502 followers
March 19, 2014
The British empire is falling apart, even as its troops are fighting off the rebellion in America. Commoners are starting to protest in the streets of London, as they see the casualty numbers. Meanwhile, the elite magicians cannot put aside their personal ambitions for a moment, to think through how to preserve their country and their empire.

Young Nathaniel, a magician who is slipping away from his earlier idealism, writes wartime propaganda for hometown consumption. Idealistic, feisty Kitty Jones seeks to educate the commoners about the limitations of magic, and the truth behind their oppression. She seeks a way for commoners and demons to combine forces, to overthrow the magicians.

This novel is the third in the Bartimaeus trilogy. It is hilarious, as we hear Bartimaeus in his usual witty, sarcastic, sometimes long-winded comments as he struggles to satisfy his master, Nathaniel. The three main characters, Bartimaeus, Nathaniel, and Kitty must learn to trust one another, in the climactic conclusion of the story. This is not easy, as magicians look upon demons as "slaves", commoners look upon magicians as oppressive overlords, and demons look at all humans with disdain, and sometimes even with hatred.

As with the first two books, I listened to this one as an audiobook, narrated by Simon Jones. He is marvelous, giving the dialog exactly the right touch. He makes the book "spring to life" in a way that is wonderful, and full of fun.
Profile Image for Aida.
41 reviews
September 19, 2017
پایانی غمناک و زیبا...
اولین کتابی که باهاش گریه کردم :")
Profile Image for Галя.
34 reviews67 followers
January 13, 2023
кінець просто знищив мене…

це так логічно, але так збіса боляче

останні сто сторінок пролетіли неймовірно швидко
я вражена
приємно вражена

достойне завершення циклу

не впевнена, що буду перечитувати, але зараз я посміхаюсь крізь сльози, бо це чудово

справді

якщо хочете розбити собі серденько, то читайте не роздумуючи 🤧
Profile Image for Iva.
380 reviews33 followers
April 21, 2020
Я не маю бажання читати спін-офф про Соломона, бо історія Бартімеуса, ІМХО, завершена річ у собі. Із живою моральною різнобарвністю, що її втілює в собі кожен із персонажів, з іронічними, хоча й серйозними, роздумами про природу влади та суспільства. З екшончиком, ясна річ.
"Трилогія Бартімеуса" не вчить вас дружбі або любові, не нав’язує вам ніяких моральних цінностей. Вона вчить вас думати та розуміти інших, показує абсурдність поділу на "себе" та "решту", що завжди є протиставленням.
Духи також є життям, простолюдини також є людьми. Суспільна мораль - сумнівна, а суспільне схвалення зі славою абощо - повна маяч��я.
Маст-рід.

Profile Image for Jessica.
220 reviews48 followers
October 20, 2020
Voy a hacer una confesión: no me siento preparada para escribir esta opinión al igual que no estaba preparada para leer La puerta de Ptolomeo.

Jonathan Stround pone fin a la trilogía (bueno, realmente no, he descubierto otra entrega más reciente que narra una historia anterior a la del primer libro) de una manera magistral. Todo, absolutamente todo me ha encantado: la trama no para de subir, hay momentos/diálogos muy divertidos, la evolución de Nathaniel y Kitty me han encantado (toda una sorpresa este último), Bartimeo sigue siendo tan maravilloso como siempre y qué puedo decir de las escenas de combate... aquí están de las mejores, especialmente en la recta final.

La recta final... solo puedo alabarla con los momentos que ofrece. Me ha emocionado como una chiquilla, me ha mantenido en tensión y, finalmente, me hizo llorar. Aún con esto, es un perfecto final aunque admito que me habría encantado disfrutar más de las aventuras de Nathaniel, Kitty y Bartimeo.

En fin, querido Jonathan Stroud, aquí te dejo mis cinco estrellas de puntuación y la promesa de que leeré más libros tuyos. Ha sido un placer conocerte a ti y a los fantásticos personajes que has creado.
Profile Image for Z. D'Aleo.
Author 4 books923 followers
March 25, 2022
Ma quanto è bello quando una serie che inizia bene finisce per migliorare libro dopo libro portandoti a rivalutare tutto quanto e passare da definirla semplicemente carina a geniale?

Si tratta proprio di questo caso.

La Tetralogia di Bartimeus è un piccolo capolavoro.

State cercando una serie ucronica ambientata in un mondo distopico e complesso in cui al potere abbiamo maghi disposti a tutto pur di mantenere salda la propria posizione?
State cercando una serie in cui il narratore talvolta coincide con un millenario demone sagace, ricco di sarcasmo?
State cercando una serie in cui capire da che parte stare è davvero difficile?
Se la vostra risposta è sì anche solo a una di queste domande allora la Tetralogia di Bartimeus è esattamente quello che fa per voi!

Ho appena finito di leggere anche “La Porta di Tolomeo”, ultimo libro della trilogia di Bartimeus, (quarto volume della Tetralogia) e ho le lacrime agli occhi. Un finale perfetto per una serie perfetta.

Un romanzo di formazione.
Geniale.
Una trama ben strutturata.
Una lettura scorrevole e piacevole.
Personaggi interessanti e non scontati.
Worldbuilding eccezionale.

Di che cosa parla?
È un fantasy, ucronico, distopico.

È ambientato a Londra, probabilmente intorno agli anni 2000.

È una specie di Harry Potter distopico dove, per farla breve, Voldemort ha vinto la guerra e i maghi hanno affermato con la forza la propria supremazia sui non maghi, ma non lasciatevi ingannare, questi maghi non hanno chissà che potere e, soprattutto, non frequentano nessuna scuola di magia, non volano sulle scope, non giocano a quidditch e non hanno bacchette.

Studiano di continuo, fino all’esaurimento, se la tirano tanto, tramano in segreto e tramandano il sapere da maestro a discente e non di padre in figlio, che sia mai!

Per buona parte della propria vita, i nostri maghi si dilettano in piacevoli evocazioni; possono, infatti, tramite rituali di convocazione sfruttare e assoldare flotte di demoni costretti a servirli nei più svariati modi, anche fino alla morte propria o del proprio mago padrone.

Nell’universo di Stroud esistono diverse tipologie di demoni, dalle creature più semplici, tipo i folletti (simil elfi domestici, aka piccoli Dobby stupidi), facilmente “addomesticabili”, fino a creature in grado di distorcere lo spazio temporale che se evocate possono rivelarsi in grado di creare fratture e danni irreversibili (ciaone Atlantide).

I demoni vivono nell’ultraterreno e per arrivare sulla terra devono essere convocati, tramite rituali: cerchi, pentagoni, origano, incensi e candele.

Ora immaginatevi il nostro jinn Bartimeus, antico, potente, furbo, beffardo, intendo a svolgere le solite commissioni da millenario essere dell’ultraterreno, convocato da uno smilzo e ambizioso ragazzino mago dodicenne.

Il ragazzino riesce eccezionalmente ad assoldare Bartimeus costringendolo a rubare l’amuleto di Samarcanda dalle mani del noto Simon Lovelace, mago senza scrupoli e noto membro del Parlamento.

La situazione si complicherà quando le infantili motivazioni del giovane mago Nathaniel si scontreranno con i piani ben più articolati dell’ambizioso Lovelace.

Tutto ciò verrà narrato dalla piacevole voce del nostro magnifico Jinn audace che riuscirà a trasportarvi nella storia non su uno, ma attraverso ben sette livelli di realtà.

Una cosa che ho amato pazzamente sono proprio questi sette livelli, ai mortali totalmente (tecnicamente) inaccessibili, ai maghi accessibili solo per meno di metà, tramite l’uso di lenti a contatto. Si parla di essenze e soprannaturale in modo quasi scientifico.

È scritto davvero molto bene. Sono state davvero poche le volte che sono stato costretto a tornare in dietro. Ho apprezzato tantissimo lo stile, la narrazione in prima persona dalla prospettiva del demone e la narrazione più lontana in terza persona per il pov di Nathaniel… poi beh, la rottura della quarta parete attraverso le note a piè di pagina lo rendono a mio avviso un vero capolavoro.

Nota negativa?
Nessuna. La storia di base, in alcuni punti, può sembrare scontata, alla fine del primo libro vengono lasciate molte trame aperte, perché appunto è solo il primo libro di una serie…

Oltre a spaziare dall’antico Egitto, all’antico Medioriente, a una Londra degna di Dickens, Stroud è stato in grado di dare vita a un mondo vasto e complesso al pari di quello creato dalla Rowling, in cui, però, vediamo i maghi al potere e i comuni succubi.

Una struttura narrativa che mi ha ricordato tantissimo quella della Bardugo in “Sei di Corvi”, per il giusto ritmo tra scorci del passato e proseguimento della narrazione.

Se avete letto “L’occhio del Golem” suppongo che non abbiate proprio bisogno di una spinta per leggere anche l’ultimo, soprattutto considerato come finisce. Ma io devo pur dir qualcosa, no? Quindi... sì, alla fine de “L’occhio del Golem” le domande non mancano di certo. Vi dico che sì, dovete assolutamente continuare perché qui troverete tutte le risposte. Inoltre, credo che tutti vogliamo rivedere ancora una volta Kitty, Bartimeus, e John Mandrake. Nathaniel crescerà tantissimo. Conosceremo quindi il nuovo John Mandrake e rivedremo Kitty Jones. Avremo modo di seguire Bartimeus avanti e indietro nel tempo. Conosceremo finalmente Tolomeo. E vi sorprenderà piacevolmente unire tutti i punti. Se, invece non avete ancora letto nulla di Stroud, vi consiglio di rimediare al più presto!

Vi lascio qui sotto l’ordine di lettura consigliato:
#0.5 L’anello di Salomone
#1 L’Amuleto di Samarcanda
#2 L’occhio del Golem
#3 La porta di Tolomeo

Io ho iniziato da “L’Amuleto di Samarcanda”, ma iniziare dal Prequel sarebbe stato meglio e in ogni caso attualmente si trova in ebook come Tetralogia completa; quindi, tanto vale iniziare direttamente da qui: https://amzn.to/3ixkmzn

Accendete tutte le candele che avete, afferrate gessetti, incensi e preparatevi a immergervi in ben sette livelli di una nuova realtà!

Questa Tetralogia potrebbe diventare fin da subito il vostro nuovo libro preferito.
Profile Image for Hamidreza.
83 reviews23 followers
July 25, 2017
من که معتقدم الان زوده واسه نظر گذاشتن چون تاثیرشو کامل روم نذاشته ولی به دو علت الان ریویو میذارم : 1. ممکنه یادم بره 2. الان تو تب و تاب داستان هستم و همیشه هم غریضه آدم میگه که چه کتابی خوبه کودوم بهتره و ازین حرفا .
اخطار ! اخطار ! اسپویل ! اسپویل ! درسته واضح نیست ولی اسپویله . اگه نخوندید کتابو و قصدشو دارید اینو نخونید . ولی توصیه میکنم حتمااااا بخونید .

خوب بسم الله الرحمن الرحیم . گریهههه 😭😭😭😭 یعنی دیگه آخرش ، هم اشکمو در اورد هم عرقمو . اون دو صفحه آخر هم رسیده بودم به یه آهنگی که باعث شد از اعماق وجودم ، ورود به یه دنیای جدید رو حس کنم ؛ دنیای جاناتان استرود
😢
توصیفات فوق العاده ، کمدی و طنز تلخ ، بیان مفاهیم در غالب فانتزی و خیلی چیزای دیگه که قابل بیان نیستن . فقط میشه گفت ، باید حصار ها را شکست ، بندها را پاره کرد ، از جهانی که مارا برده خود کرده فرار کرد . هیچ چیز نمیتواند ما را نجات دهد مگر خودمان . و قس علیهذا
Profile Image for Kevin Wood.
37 reviews4 followers
October 2, 2022
3.5 🌟

- چیز جدیدی برای گزارش دادن وجود ندارد. مردم شبیه گله‌های گوسفند در حال چرا هستند و به تغییر عادت نمی‌کنند و فکر مستقلی هم ندارند. اما به جنگ فکر می‌کنند و من معتقدم که نارضایتی گسترش پیدا می‌کند. آن‌ها کتابچه‌های ما را می‌خوانند، درست همان‌طور که روزنامه‌های شما را می‌خرند، اما بدون لذت این کار را می‌کنند. کتاب‌ها و روزنامه‌ها آن‌ها را راضی نمی‌کند.
+ این نارضایتی چگونه بیان می‌شود؟
- من نارضایتی را در بی‌حالتی و بی‌احساسی چهره‌ی آن‌ها، هنگام نزدیک شدن پلیس تشخیص داده‌ام. آن را در حالت سرسختی چشمان‌شان هنگام عبور از کنار دکه‌های پذیرش سرباز دیده‌ام. من با تماشای انبوه دسته‌گل‌هایی که مقابل در خانواده‌های قربانیان جمع می‌شود، به این حقیقت پی می‌برم. بیش‌تر مردم آشکارا حرفی نمی‌زنند، اما خشم‌شان از جنگ و دولت در حال افزایش است.
+ این‌ها فقط حرف هستند. تو هیچ مدرک ملموسی به من نشان نمی‌دهی.
- هیچ انقلابی ابتدا ملموس نیست. عوام حتی از وجود مفهوم انقلاب خبر ندارند، اما هنگام خواب آن را تنفس و هنگام نوشیدن آن را مزه می‌کنند.

ص ۴۲ و ۴۳
Profile Image for Ashley.
2,553 reviews1,631 followers
January 22, 2019
Worth slogging through book two just to get to this one. (And I’m still not convinced my reaction to that book wasn’t just me trying to read it at the wrong time.)

This is the third and final book in the original Bartimaeus Trilogy (he wrote a prequel in 2010 but I think I’m going to pass on that one). It takes place three years after the events of The Golem’s Eye. Nathaniel/John Mandrake is high up in government now, in charge of what is essentially the propaganda department, and is currently preoccupied with sniffing out spies and resistance members, as well as making the war in the American colonies palatable to an ever more unhappy public. He is miserable. He dismissed Bartimaeus at the end of the last book, but apparently had been calling on him for greater and greater intervals ever since, and it has now been a very long time since Bartimaeus was allowed to visit the Other Place. This means he is weak and vulnerable, but Nathaniel stubbornly refuses to dismiss him, out of some secret fear, presumably.

Our third protagonist, Kitty, has been busy these last three years getting an informal education in magic and magical history from a disaffected magician. Something about her meeting with Bartimaeus three years before struck her, and she’s been tracking down information about his past. In particular, she’s curious about his preferred form of the young boy, a former master. What kind of djinni would take on the form of someone who enslaved them?

Not going further into detail about what actually happens here because it’s really satisfying to be surprised by it, but I was pleased with how all three of our main characters ended up, and pleased with the overall trajectory of the series. Stroud set up a lot of pins to be knocked down in books one and two, and I was worried he wouldn’t be able to realistically deal with them all, but he somehow manages it.

If you like fantasy, I’d highly recommend checking this series out. The themes and plots it works with are not the ones we typically see anymore in children’s or middle grade or YA fantasy. There’s a refreshing lack of a love story, the most sympathetic character is not the human, and the white male is not the unexamined savior of the world. The focus on the alternate history of it all was fun as well. I overall really enjoyed it and can see myself revisiting in a couple of years (though I think I might do it by audio–my editions have such small print; this is how I know I’m getting old).
Profile Image for Mia Prasetya.
400 reviews251 followers
July 7, 2010
Bisa dibilang kesan yang saya dapat setelah membaca bartimaeus trilogy ini tidak sama dengan membaca kisah fantasy biasa.
Tanya kenapa?

Mungkin karena celetukan Barti yang apa adanya dan bikin ngekek kalo baca sendirian malam-malam in ngangenin. Saya jadi berasa kenal dekat dengan sosok Barti.

Atau bisa jadi juga karena membaca ketiga buku ini, saya dapat merasakan pertumbuhan masing-masing karakter plus juga gejolak commoner, penyihir, demon yang kian gelap dan kian menegangkan.
Nat, dari seorang bocah pemalu namun juga keras kepala bisa menjadi pemuda gagah yang ambisius dan dingin.
Kitty, gadis keras kepala yang semakin lama semakin terang auranya plus sifat kolerisnya itu lho, saya ikutan takut kalo doi sudah mulai bentak-bentak, hihi.
Barti, oh barti, siapa yang tak bakal jatuh hati dengan jin satu ini, walau berubah bentuk jadi kodok dan piramida berlendir ia tetap bisa membuat saya tertawa.

Salut dengan mas Jonathan Stroud, pengembangan karakter, plot dan ending yang luar biasa di buku ketiga ini. Endingnya, walau sudah tau dari beberapa tahun yang lalu tetep bikin saya bolak balik halaman terakhir. Heeeehhhh???!!!! Yakin cuma gini endingnya? Apa mungkin gramed kurang nyetak satu halaman terakhir?? Arrrgh.

Oia, satu lagi kenapa bintang 5, baru kemarin malam kelarin buku ini, pagi ini saya sudah kangen Barti. Nah lho, gimana ga dapet bintang 5 buku Ptolemy's Gate ini :) Hail to Jonathan Stroud.

Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,386 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.