Start by marking “Cheat” as Want to Read:
Cheat

Cheat

The debut graphic novel from the artist of HOPELESS SAVAGES! Continuing the tradition of DUMPED, Christine Norrie’s CHEAT is a modern tale of romance and the failure of love in NYC. Janey and Marc live a hectic lifestyle that constantly keeps them apart. Then Janey ends up in the arms of another man, and the façade of a happy relationship the couple has built begins to cru ...more
Published March 30th 2003 by Oni Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Cheat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cheat

Start your review of Cheat
Vanessa Jaye
Dec 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
There was an interesting emotional story in here, but the minimalistic style made the graphic novel more of a outline than a fleshed out story.
StrictlySequential
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
You can see the characters get more consistent and nuanced as the book goes and when she gets them just right you'll find that their movement, body language and facial emotion are deliciously rendered!

I've always loved the style of drawing/illustration that she employs. I don't know what to call or how to describe it but Trina Robbins is the Omni-Deity of the style which to my knowledge is all comfortably female. When I saw the cover I knew I'd like it as long as it wasn't within some stup-alup-
April
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book doesn't have a shocking or non- predictable plot line. It's not supposed to- it's features that typical scenario where partners seem to be drifting apart and someone else steps in to fill the void. It's well done with believable characters that are neither villains or victims. The art is pretty good. I love the cover! My only complaint is that the transitions between different scenes with time passage seemed jarring- the sequential art would sometimes jump forward without me expecting ...more
Jan 22, 2008 rated it liked it
two of those stars are for the art. maybe i'm slow, but the subtext and character complexity just weren't there for me. i could see the gears turning in several places (and hey, i've attempted to write and illustrate a graphic novel before and it's tough. never figured it out, meeself.)
Kricket
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
i picked this one up because i really enjoy norrie's artwork, but i agree with another reviewer who said it seemed more like an outline than a fleshed-out story. i kept looking to the artwork to see what i was missing with the dialogue and didn't really find any answers.
Michelle
Apr 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book was short and simple, but upon further contemplation, features incredibly complex characters and subtext.

One of the few graphic novels I read that use images to actually tell the story instead of animating gesture.

Warning: there's no happy endings here.
Gretchen
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love the art.
Jim
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
an adult graphic novel in that it deals w/such adult subjects as adultry and the choice to be faithfull.
beautiful art
Speedtribes
Dec 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, romance
Modern day romance comic with a bit of a sad ending. Well drawn, well paced, and with believable dialogue/situation. Quite enjoyable-- and I usually don't like what I call "short" stories in comics.
Jason
Cheryl
Sep 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Cheryl by: Zine Fest UW-Madison
Shelves: graphic-novel
I liked the art. Cover is especially attractive. Story kept me reading yet was predictable. It did show complicity on all sides, though.
Zanne
Jan 25, 2008
Paolo Jose
Apr 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

• Those Left Behind (Serenity #1)
  • Mystery Society
  • The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
  • Black Moon
Christine Norrie is an artist and writer, telling stories through comic book illustration, in graphic novel form, as well as for serialized publications, and short story fiction.

Her most noted works include her original graphic novel Cheat , the Oni Press series Hopeless Savages, and the teen drama Breaking Up published in 2007 by Scholastic/Graphix.

Dubbed “a natural storyteller” by Publisher’s W