Start by marking “The Talisman (Daughters of the Moon, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Talisman (Daughters of the Moon, #10)

The Talisman

(Daughters of the Moon #10)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  3,248 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Maggie is running out of time on this earth. And before she can name her successor, she reflects on the incredible, age-old journey that brought her to where she is. As a girl in ancient Athens, her father was a great warrior and leader of men. However, it was Maggie, known then as Penelope, who chose to battle the greatest enemy of all-the Atrox. After seeing an innocent ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Volo

To ask other readers questions about The Talisman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Talisman

Annika
Apr 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This book gives insight into Maggie's life, before she dies. Not bad.
Katie Rios
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Maggie's story was interesting enough to keep me entertained, but it wasn't my favorite. I think I skimmed a good portion of the end, only reading the dialogue. I feel like I'm at a point where I just REALLY want to know what happens at the end of everything.

Now, this is where I quit reading this series 10 years ago, so the next 3 books for me will be brand new and never read, which is kind of exciting.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD...

I think Jimena is going to be the new Maggie. It really lead to th
Megan
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Koorihime-sama
CHECKED OUT THE BOOK FROM MY PUBLIC LIBRARY.

APART OF THE GOODREADS 2011 READING CHALLENGE.

2ND REVIEW. 1ST REVIEW IS HERE.

Review/Rating:

5 out of 5

Maggie is running out of time. She has to pass her title of mentor to the Daughters of the Moon to the new successor. However, will the Atrox stop her before she can even tell the new heir?

I decided to do a better review of the Daughters of the Moon series by Lynne Ewing since my first ones weren’t done very well. This book is really a fast read, but si
Alexis
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
This installment of the book series was Maggie's (the mentor of the Daughters of the Mooon) flashback on her life in 431 B.C in Athens, Greece. She was a teenager reliving her destiny envolving the Atrox and how she became the gaurdian mother to the many of the Daughters of the Moon. It takes you through the incident envolving her romance with Hector that was mentioned in the book the Moon Demon number 8 in the series, and it showed you her struggles in fulfilling her destiny.

Likes:

1. The probl
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Maggie is old and takes the last of her potion to restore her youth. The book then goes into Maggie's own past, starting in 431 B.C.E. She's in Athens, a youth, and wants to be accepted into the Temple of Selene.

She sees a soldier attacked by odd beings. Later she's chased by them. Pandia is her mentor, and they are attacked by the creatures. Panida explains about the Atrox.

Penelope (Maggie's Greek name) falls for a soldier named Hector. Her sister tricks Hector into going after the Atrox alone
Laurel
Oct 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 11th-grade
This book takes place in the past and shows the history of Maggie and how she became the guardian of the Daughters of the moon. Maggie is running out of time on this earth, she is getting older and she ran out of youth potions, but She still needs to name her successor. Maggie isa girl in ancient Athens, her father was a great warrior and leader of men. Maggie, known then as Penelope back then, chose to battle the the Atrox after seeing an innocent man succumb to the Atrox and his shadowy follow ...more
Britney (BookDrunkSloth)
Well this book had many of the same flaws as its predecessors. Conversations and interactions would go way too fast. Characters' moods change dramatically and often. I would keep thinking to myself, "Well, that escalated quickly..."

What I did really enjoy about this book is what really sets it apart from the rest in the series. The book was about Maggie's life back in long ago Athens. So it's great to have the change in scenery and it's exciting to learn a little more about Maggie.

I love Greek M
T.J. Day
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it
The Talisman definitely wasn't one of my favorites. It moved slowly, but at least most of the chapters left you hanging. Lynne Ewing is definitely getting used to cliffhangers. I do like, however, that she is continuing to answer questions you have in one book in the next and doesn't just forget them or make up some random explanation for them.

Penelope/Maggie is an interesting character. I wanted to punch Temaestra in the face continually. And I like how she added "Chryisspus" into the plot as w
Anahi Velazquez
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I took a long break in the middle of reading this, so the flow of the story dropped from my brain a bit. I like this story better than some of the others in the series because it is not about the main characters. It gives the back story of one of the other characters in the series, Maggie, who is a mentor and guide to the five girls the series focuses on. It's a welcome shift from the on going plot, and fills in a few holes as well.
Khalia Hades
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
ok,i've been a fan of the Daughters Of The Moon series ever since they started. you might even call me obsessed!this book wasn't exactly as good as the others because there is no mention of the Daughters but what is really cool is that in the beginning, Maggie talks about the girl who will take her place, but she doesn't tell you who it is. bummer, huh? but the book was still good and it was really cool learning more about Maggie i totally recomend this book to everyone!!!!!!!
Kathryn
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was okay. It was interesting seeing how Maggie got her position as the guidance counselor of sorts for the Daughters. Some of the things she did were pretty stupid, but I guess that's just the author's way of going about things.

(view spoiler)
Mar 16, 2011 rated it liked it
I took a long break in the middle of reading this, so the flow of the story dropped from my brain a bit. I like this story better than some of the others in the series because it is not about the main characters. It gives the back story of one of the other characters in the series, Maggie, who is a mentor and guide to the five girls the series focuses on. It's a welcome shift from the ongoing plot, and fills in a few holes as well.
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was more exciting than some of the others. It was good from beginning to end. Can't wait to pick up the next book to see what the girls are up to know. I love how each book is abot a different girl and how their lives are turning out. You get more insight into the past and what's happening now at the present time. They have all had some close calls and delimias but they stay true to themselves.
Arra Abella
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Adult (girls), Mythology enthusiasts
Shelves: 3-stars, its-ya, mythology
It was fine. Though I somewhat find it boring to go and see the past of Maggie and it left me hanging when she didn't reveal who will replace her. It is not that exciting as the other books and it did not really satisfy my reading expectation.

Read more HERE
Jocelyn
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hands down my favorite of the Daughters of the Moon series. I always found Maggie such a fascinating character so I thought this book was more than overdue. Plus, not only did The Talisman give us a rest from the series (I mean, seriously, 13 books is a bit much no matter how short or easy to read they are), but it also brought us back in time!
N.L. Riviezzo
While it was a good story and a great insight into the childhood of Maggie, I felt it ended strangely and abruptly which left me a bit disappointed. If it had been a little longer & clearer in the storyline, it would have been a 5 star read.
Lizette
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
When i got this book i didnt know who this was about. i wasnt that hooked by it in the begining but while i read more, I learned that maggie has a big part in the atrox. even though it took me a long time to finish i was happy with the ending.
Jessica
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was by far my fav so far of all of them. I loved the backstory idea and the mythology blended into it all. This and the story of Serena and stanton is what will make me continue the series to the end.
A*Writer*in*Time
Nov 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Alex
Jun 15, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was pretty boring in the beginning, but then got pretty action-packed towards the end. It was set in the Greek Mythology times, which we all know I LOVE. Left way too many questions unanswered though, and considering there is only 3 books left, they need to get to work answering them.
Taejiana
I LOVED IT!
Hannah
Nov 15, 2008 marked it as to-read
i tried to read this book last year and it was really hard to get through... i should probably try again so i can finish the series
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Near the end, wow was that sad. Anyway, this one was really good as it focuses on Maggie past and the present. And that ending. This series is one of my favorites.
Ruth
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
wasent the best one but still good
Kayla Chauvin
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Written really well. I only got lost once or twice, but that was my own A.D.D. and bad memory kicking in. This book explains a lot about parts of the story about which had questions.
Taylor
Oct 27, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: fantasy
Didn't like it at all. Did not keep me interested
Sophia Rose
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! It really exceeded my expectations.

I loved the setting and plot. It was great to learn more about the characters and the ending was really shocking.
Niamh
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
My favorite of the series so far.
Ulrika
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Inte min favorit i serien, ganska seg och tråkig.
  • The Witch Hunters (T*Witches, #8)
  • Building a Mystery (T*Witches, #2)
  • Wolfcry (The Kiesha'ra, #4)
  • Reckoning (Sweep, #13)
  • Red is for Remembrance (Blue is for Nightmares, #4)
  • Wolf Wing (Claidi Journals, #4)
Lynne Ewing is an American author and a screen writer.

She always had to move around a lot when she was growing up because her father was in the Marine Corps. She has two sisters. Lynne graduated from high school in Lima, Peru after attending seven other schools. While she was in Peru, she learned to speak Spanish. She attended the University of California at Santa Barbara. When she was 30 years ol

Daughters of the Moon (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Goddess of the Night (Daughters of the Moon, #1)
  • Into the Cold Fire (Daughters of the Moon, #2)
  • Night Shade (Daughters of the Moon, #3)
  • The Secret Scroll (Daughters of the Moon, #4)
  • The Sacrifice (Daughters of the Moon, #5)
  • The Lost One (Daughters of the Moon, #6)
  • Moon Demon (Daughters of the Moon, #7)
  • Possession (Daughters of the Moon, #8)
  • The Choice (Daughters of the Moon, #9)
  • The Prophecy (Daughters of the Moon, #11)

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99