Start by marking “La metamorfosis” as Want to Read:
La metamorfosis

La metamorfosis

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  549,810 ratings  ·  14,672 reviews
La metamorfosis (Die Verwandlung, en su título original en alemán) es un relato de Franz Kafka, publicado en 1915 y que narra la historia de Gregorio Samsa, un comerciante de telas que vive con su familia a la que él mantiene con su sueldo, quien un día amanece convertido en un enorme insecto (aparentemente, un escarabajo, aunque no se identifica claramente en el texto).
Published September 28th 2004 by Agebe (first published 1915)

To ask other readers questions about La metamorfosis, please sign up.
Anne-Marie Noble Metamorphosis was first written by Ovid; it's about the changing of gods, demi-gods and heroes. Kaffka (as I know) wanted to show the 'modern'…moreMetamorphosis was first written by Ovid; it's about the changing of gods, demi-gods and heroes. Kaffka (as I know) wanted to show the 'modern' changing of people: if one becomes useless his family will not care about him (same things may happen to old and sick people as well). (less)
Marie I'll try to answer too, because Franz is also from Czech where he lived but wrote his pieces in German.
Franz was a very depressed individual and his…more
Franz was a very depressed individual and his childhood was hard, somehow it shows how he really felt in this book. His father had very high expectations from him and beat him a lot if he did a little mistake both physically and mentally. But it didn't mirror his life fully, he did it to break free from the world he lived but always put pieces of himself into the books. You can actually see how he felt smaller and smaller only by looking at the names of the characters. In this book he named the character as "Gregor Samsa", in the Trial his character is only named as "Josef K." and in The Castle the character is only a "K.".
Franz also destroyed a lot of his work already and publishers knew that the work would never be as Franz meant it to be and you can only guess what he meant by the words he wrote.
He was also very shy and he wanted to run away every time someone got close to him. He craved attention and romance, but he couldn't do it because his confidence was destroyed and everytime he ran. But sometimes he couldn't, like the big bug couldn't open the door and leave, he was trapped with the family he knew he disappointed. (less)

·  549,810 ratings  ·  14,672 reviews

Start your review of La metamorfosis
Miranda Reads
A BIG EFFING DISCLAIMER:

I read books for fun, not to better myself.

I originally published this review MONTHS ago, for a book published DECADES ago... and I just want to say: Reviewers be warned.

People are not the forgiving sort if you don't like this book. It seems that some classics must be liked, or else .

Since publishing this review, many people have posted their interpretations of this book - some of which I can see, some of which I don't buy and some that really are quite brilliant.
Rebecca
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I once used my copy to kill a beetle.
Thereby combining my two passions: irony and slaughter.

*wields*
Dan Schwent
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oldies, 2011
Gregor Samsa wakes up one morning to discover he's been transformed into a giant beetle-like creature. Can he and his family adjust to his new form?

The Metamorphosis is one of those books that a lot of people get dragooned into reading during high school and therefore are predisposed to loath. I managed to escape this fate and I'm glad. The Metamorphosis is quite a strange little book.

Translated from German, The Metamorphosis is the story of how Gregor Samsa's transformat
Gaurav
The Metamorphosis

Franz Kafka

The Metamorphosis can quite easily be one of Franz Kafka’s best works of literature- one of the best in Existentialist literature. The author shows the struggle of human existence- the problem of living in modern society- through the narrator.

Gregor Samsa wakes in his bed and discovers he has transformed into a some kind of a giant bug; he strugg
Petal X Planet
A paraphrase. When my ex-husband went out one evening from unsettling dreams of how faraway his wife was, he went out drinking and whoring. Next morning he found himself changed in his bed into a monstrous vermin. A cockroach. Much he knew it though. None of his friends recognised it, in fact they preferred the cockroach to the person he had been and he had a great time. When it was time for him to come home, armour-plated as he was he crushed his wife underfoot (well fists and kicks, but same t ...more
Nicole
Gregor waking up one morning as a bug was a hilarious analogy of the effects an illness can have on someone, as well as on those who are close to him. Though the underlying story behind the hilarity of the analogy was anything but funny. I took it as more of a warning of what NOT to do when a loved-one is afflicted by some unfortunate disease or circumstance. I found his resistance of acknowledging to himself that he had become a bug in the beginning of the story to be very interesting. When he ...more
JV (semi-hiatus)

My ever dearest Kafka,

It has come to my attention that you've left a manuscript behind pertaining to the extermination of vermins. So my eccentric little self decided to pick up a copy of yours hoping to annihilate pests of the worst, possibly, the most malicious kind, only to find out you didn't offer such trick. Well, woe is me! There goes me gay self screaming and running away from flying roaches! Ackkkk! Shoooo! Oh bollocks, you could've helped! Interestingly, what I discovered was a lustrous gem of
Glenn Russell
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kafka’s classic tale written in 1912 is about the changes that can come about in our lives. Up until the very end, the entire tale takes place in an apartment of a mother, father, son and daughter. The son is unfortunately unable to continue to perform his job as a traveling salesman and support his family financially. This abrupt change forces the father, mother and daughter to exert more energy in their lives and take steps to earn money. Here is a word about each member of the family:
Adina
4* for the novella + 1* for Benedict Cumberbatch narration ( I adore his voice).

A family (mother, father and sister) are forced to become responsible and find jobs when the son, the sole provider of the family, has a sort of a disease and cannot work anymore. As he becomes useless he is marginalized and despised. I almost forgot, the disease is that the son wakes up in the morning as a cockroach.

Methamorphosis is considered one of the best books ever written which is quite remarkable consideri
Henry Avila
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gregor Samsa awakes from a bad dream, into a mad nightmare, as he struggles, stuck in his own bed this weary, young traveling salesman, has overnight been miraculously transformed... incredibly Gregor is now a hideous bug, a dung beetle , or even a cockroach does it really matter what ? He has missed his train in more ways than one, but Samsa, is a real trooper, still thinks he can catch the locomotive and make that vile business trip, eventually getting off the bed with great difficulty, just a ...more
s.penkevich
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to s.penkevich by: Nabokov
It was no dream.

Gregor Samsa awakes one day, changed forever. How unpredictable is life, one moment leading to a new labyrinth of existence where forward is the only motion available, our scars and choices following us in a tuneless parade with few interested spectators. Despite our lives being a personal struggle, it is constantly judged, criticized and appraised by all those whom we encounter. Oh, the injuries we inflict upon one another. We alienate and assume instead of communicate, we fe
Lisa
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One morning a young man woke up and decided he didn't want to leave his room. He felt at odds with the world and wished he could opt out of his busy life.

He knew he was unlikely to get away with skipping school, so he thought about how to find a perfect excuse. His eyes fell upon the half-read copy of Kafka's Metamorphosis he had left beside his bed, and was pleased. When his stressed mum banged on the bedroom door and yelled that it was time for breakfast, shower and school, he answered:

"I ca
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Surreal, inexplicable and unusual, Kafka explores the futility of human existence. Or does he?

Gregor Sansa is turned into a bug and through the process he realises just how insignificant he is, how insignificant we all, ultimately, are in the greater scheme of things. He was his family’s backbone, holding them up, supporting them financially whist they took the easy path. However, when that backbone is removed the unit adapts; it carries on and finds new means of survival. The most important me
Ahmad Sharabiani
Die Verwandlung = The Metamorphosis, Franz Kafka
The Metamorphosis is a novella written by Franz Kafka which was first published in 1915. One of Kafka's best-known works, The Metamorphosis tells the story of salesman Gregor Samsa who wakes one morning to find himself inexplicably transformed into a huge insect and subsequently struggling to adjust to this new condition. The novella has been widely discussed among literary critics, with differing interpretations being offered.
تاریخ نخستین خ
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Any day you wake up as a cockroach is a shit day.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

"Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt." ("One morning, as Gregor Samsa was waking up from restless dreams, he discovered in his bed that he had been changed into a monstrous verminous bug.")

This novella starts with a shock, but ignores the "why" and "how" (I don't think anyone in the book ever asked either of those questions) in favor of exploring Gregor's and his family's reactions to the change and how it affects thei
Samra Yusuf
When I was a child,I used to get myself hide for some time and animatedly hear what’s everyone saying about my disappearance……we all are walled up by insecurities, incarcerated by uncertainties, captivated by absurdities and haunted by fears of losing the people we love so helplessly …………
Kafka touches delicate strings of relations, with such audacity and ingenuousness that Metamorphosis becomes a voice on drum even after more than 100 years of its publication..
Kafka’s writings largel
James
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-fiction
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to The Metamorphosis, written in 1915 by Franz Kafka. I think most people are familiar with the premise of this book, and rather than do a normal review, I thought maybe I'd question how on earth Kafka came up with this one? It was such a great way to tell the story and teach a lesson... a man wakes up as a giant beetle? (I secretly suspect he came across a huge cockroach in his apartment while in NYC one day). And how do you deal with such a change? Your family is afraid. They are embarra
Kevin Ansbro
"I am constantly trying to communicate something incommunicable."
— Franz Kafka

Taking bedbugs to a whole new level, travelling salesman, Gregor Samsa, wakes one morning to find himself transformed into a giant beetle.
Rather than waving his legs and antennae in the air, screaming, "Omigod! Omigod! I’ve turned into a frigging cockroach!" he keeps his composure and goes about his daily business with a selfless determination. His family, by way of contrast, are a selfish, unpleasant bunch and mer
Kathy
May 09, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Technically I read this book in German, and if I could give it zero stars, I would. I read the first sentence (in German, mind you) around 3:30 in the morning earlier this semester, and was convinced I was loosing my mind and that I couldn't be translating it right. It read: "Gregor Samsa awoke on morning to discover that he had somehow transformed into a giant cockaroach". After typing the sentence into freetranslation.com and finding out I actually had read and translated it correctly, I thought ...more
Cecily
NOTE: Some of the stories in this edition have also been published in separate collections, and those ones are reviewed under those titles (links included here).

Many are short, poignant vignettes, rather than stories, though some have a surreal/magical angle. A definite voyeuristic slant to several (two are explicitly titled about looking through a window).

Metamorphosis

The provider turns parasite, and in giving up his life, liberates his family.

It's a surreal situation: Gregor wakes
Sid
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
The way how the wide spectrum of human behavior, nature, emotions and reactions is illustrated in this book does a huge favor to every single word written in it. The truth of every relationship, the vanity of human nature, the highs and lows of human emotions, the actions one takes in certain circumstances and the reactions one gives intentionally or unintentionally have been very beautifully portrayed in this book. This book has a lot to teach if one is a keen reader. Must read for people who e ...more
Florencia
So, he woke up and found himself transformed into a big insect. That is something you don't read about everyday.
I loved this novella. Kafka's well known for creating absurd and claustrophobic universes that a lot of us can relate to. The Metamorphosis is no exception. It has a lot of meanings, symbolism everywhere; a deep, philosophical twist that I love.

There's this guy, who is not quite excited about his job, his boss in particular (weird, huh?). And then, out of the blue, he beco
Shaina
Re-read

Once again, I just have deep feelings of sorrow for the main character and pity at the ignorance of the others.
Some people whom are bullied, not accepted, or abused might feel like Gregor does in this story. The thing is; that in this story, it happens within the home.
A type of metamorphosis does happen in these types of homes; In homes where you don’t feel wanted, accepted, loved, needed, valued. Sometimes that is what I think of when I read or think about this s
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Q:
One morning, as Gregor Samsa was waking up from anxious dreams, he discovered that in bed he had been changed into a monstrous verminous bug. (c) I can't help thinking of Dave Cronenberg's 'The Fly', which gave me nightmares once. 'The Metamorphosis' is a close contender.

I admit the idea to put it all like this is fantastic! But, Lord! I am conflicted about this one, since I'm simultaneously hating this book with passion and feeling its cathartic potential.

Q:
‘... Grego
Lyn
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ant-Man, Spiderman and The Fly sit in a café in Prague and discuss Franz Kafka’s 1915 story Metamorphosis.

Ant-Man: What in the hell was that anyway?

Spiderman: Bug man.

Fly: Guys, please, this is a modern classic of existentialism told in absurdist comic fashion. It’s an allegory about isolation and alienation, and ultimately a rejection of modern ideas about materialism and family unity. Kafka was decades ahead of his time, he quite literally influenced literary movements following him.

Spiderman: Or it’s a story about a guy who wakes up as a big bug and hi
Carol
What a shocking beginning.........

Gregor Samsa is a devoted son working as a traveling salesman, a stressful job he abhors, in order to support his parents and seventeen year old sister, but looks forward to the time when all their debts will be paid so he can finally make a change.......... but not the kind he soon experiences.

"As Gregor Samsa awoke from unsettling dreams one morning, he found himself transformed in his bed into a monstrous vermin. His many legs, which were pathetically thin compared to the rest of his bulk, flickered helplesslexperiences.

beginning.........

Gregor
Robin
This short story contains more than meets the eye. My copy of this dark classic is almost 200 pages long, 150 of which are notes and various critical essays with all manner of interpretations.

It tells the story of Gregor, who wakes up to a living nightmare: having been transformed from the son, big brother, family provider, into a large, icky insect (a dung beetle, according to the cleaning woman). The fifty pages explore many different themes, the main ones being transformation and alienation.
Forest
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Forest by: Herr Koppensteiner
Said to be one of the most important works of the 20th century, this story mirrors the way humans to this day treat others who are different. This is especially true for people with disabilities. Imagine getting into a car accident and spending the rest of your life without the use of your legs, arms, and voice. How would people treat you? This is why it is highly important for us to be unconsciously competent in our relationships with people with disabilities. Even more important is to focus on ...more
Nandakishore Varma
"Gregor Samsa woke up one morning to find himself transformed into a giant insect."

Gabriel Garcia Marquez says that it was this sentence (one of the most powerful opening sentences in world literature) which convinced him that he could also write and started him on his literary career. Until then, he had thought people were not allowed to write such outrageous things in stories!

"Metamorphosis" talks about alienation in a direct way which packs a tremendous punch. There is
Catching up on Cl...: Metamorphosis - April 2016 176 282 Oct 07, 2019 04:04PM

• Crime and Punishment
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray
  • 1984
  • Brave New World
  • Franz Kafka's The Castle (Dramatization)
  • Hamlet
  • One Hundred Years of Solitude
  • Notes from Underground
  • Chess Story
  • The Plague
Franz Kafka was one of the major fiction writers of the 20th century. He was born to a middle-class German-speaking Jewish family in Prague, Bohemia (presently the Czech Republic), Austria–Hungary. His unique body of writing—much of which is incomplete and which was mainly published posthumously—is considered to be among the most influential in Western literature.

His stories include "The Me
“I cannot make you understand. I cannot make anyone understand what is happening inside me. I cannot even explain it to myself.” 1760 likes
“As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.” 447 likes