Start by marking “Poop Culture: How America Is Shaped by Its Grossest National Product” as Want to Read:
Poop Culture: How America Is Shaped by Its Grossest National Product

Poop Culture: How America Is Shaped by Its Grossest National Product

Is The Origin of Feces a Darwinian concern? Perhaps not, but it is the title to the preface of this tongue-in-cheek and unexpectedly revealing exploration of human behavior by the webmaster behind the popular PoopReport.com.

This book is not a history of poop, but a study of today. Its goal is to understand how poop affects us, how we view it, and why; to appreciate its
Published May 1st 2007 by Feral House

To ask other readers questions about Poop Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poop Culture

Start your review of Poop Culture: How America Is Shaped by Its Grossest National Product
SeriouslyJerome
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Who gave me this book?

Not just another poop humor book. In fact not a humor book at all. The first few chapters might produce giggles, but this really is about poop in our culture as the title suggests.

It was very informative, & interesting for this poop fascinated person. Especially the chapter on poop in our current culture & the future possibilities - like foam flush toilets that use half as much water, or sewage systems that compost that poop. I didn't know you could compost human
Kamran Sehgal
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Something more than a novelty book about crap and actually delves into history, psychology and culture. There is a lot in this book that should be in our public discourse if we were not so shy at talking about our so called grossest national product.

There are also poop jokes, lots of poop jokes.
Mandy
Apr 16, 2010 rated it liked it
I was a little more than disappointed with this book. I don't know if it's because I thought it would be the best book about poop ever or if it just wasn't original enough. Honestly, I had been exposed to most of the information in my other readings. So, maybe this book would be better for a poop newbie or someone looking for a quick overview. It wasn't until the chapters on art and media that I even learned anything new. However, I did learn some interesting wiping facts. Praeger does do a good ...more
Jenni
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is without doubt the shittiest book I've ever read! 200 pages of crap!! ;-)

Seriously though...awesome read, couldn't put it down. Laugh out loud hysterical while loaded (accidental pun) with informative, thought provoking, and interesting commentary on our, uhm...potty habits. I learned way more about...this subject...than I ever thought possible. And I may never look at a toilet quite the same way again!

Highly recommend for anyone with a sense of humor, a slightly twisted interest in
Kathryn
Aug 20, 2007 rated it liked it
Birthday gift from Anne and Jon. hey, they know their audience.

While I did enjoy the book, I found the last 1/3 to be repetitive... almost as if the author needed to really push to make an editors requirement of 200 pages. Still, informative at times (I never knew the mechanics of compost toilets...)and witty at others (e.g., the psychological profile of shameful versus shameless shitters). A decent read.
Bill
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's hard to write anything about this book without devolving into poop puns, which may be a strong argument for Praeger's assertion that poop the act and substance is deeply symbolic in our culture.
I really enjoyed the history lessons, though thought some of the art analysis went on a bit long. But overall this was a fast and interesting read.

It's worth noting, or not, that I read this book over consecutive days entirely on the toilet.
Ryan Daly
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Highly entertaining read .. Full of laugh-out-loud poop humor and a ton of history that you never knew you wanted to know .. From the origins of sanitation systems to poop references in pop culture. Poignant social commentary as well
Jordan
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I make it a point to read anything published by Feral House. And this has taken me down some strange paths. This book takes on an indelicate subject and handles it with aplomb. Just the right balance of science, humor, and philosophy.
Kathleen Gamez
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting book about a topic we don't talk about much even though we all do it. Interesting how history and current times influence how we think about pooping. First half of book good, then it dragged along.
Jeroen Berndsen
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it
An often hilarious and sometimes insightfull documentation on the 'last taboo', poop. Not nearly as good as 'Kakafonie. Komrij's encyclopedie van de stront' and not nearly as scientific as Danny Lamarq's 'Het latrinaire gebeuren', but still a very good read for the interested person.
Robin
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very clever, very educational, and very entertaining. If you can handle the topic, it's well worth the read.
LeisureSuitLarry
Interesting but not as funny as I hoped it would bev
CJ
Dec 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
incredibly interesting so far.
yes, it's about poop. get over it.
Ania
Aug 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and informative book. A serious take on the history of plumbing and poo, and the way we've dealt with it throughout history. Funny too, but not childishly so.
Brendan Mcmackin
fuuuuunnnnyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ronna
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Some parts were interesting in terms of socio-cultural/economic stuff. Some parts were just...well, you can imagine.
Anna
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Surprisingly entertaining
Shannon
rated it did not like it
Aug 22, 2014