Start by marking “Occupied Voices: Stories of Everyday Life from the Second Intifada” as Want to Read:
Occupied Voices: Stories of Everyday Life from the Second Intifada

Occupied Voices: Stories of Everyday Life from the Second Intifada

As the Middle East peace process disintegrates & the second Palestinian Intifada begins, Wendy Pearlman, a young Jewish woman from the American Midwest travels to the West Bank & Gaza Strip in a quest to talk to ordinary Palestinians. A remarkable narrative emerges from her conversations with doctors, artists, school kids & families who have lost loved ones or ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Nation Books (NY) (first published May 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Occupied Voices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Occupied Voices

Kristin
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book about 4 years ago. And what stays with me is the fact that when I was read the book, I took 2 buses to work, and 2 buses from work every day. In between the 2 buses I would have a 20 minute wait outside. And for the time I read this book. I literally sat in shock on the street outside. Desperately trying not to cry. And in shock, literally, at the peace around me. The lack of bombs. The birds flying. People walking to/from work. Clean sidewalks. Everyday life just happening. No ...more
Doug
Mar 09, 2010 rated it liked it
The intellectual debate over Israel's hellish rule over the Palestinians often gets lost in details of dates, resolutions, Camp Davids, and recriminations. In the end, though, it's about real people, and this book does a wonderful job at compiling accounts from actual Palestinians -- surgeons, engineers, students, merchants.

Here's just a taste from one account, from Mohammed, a surgeon, heart specialist at Ramallah Hospital. He grew up in a refugee camp:

"Last week an eleven-year-old boy was sho
Valarie
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a must-read for anyone who wants to debate about the Israeli/Palestine conflict. The testimonies of real Palestinians are invaluable to understanding the effects of Israeli occupation. Even if you believe that Israel has a right to all of that land, I think we can all agree that killing civilians and strangling Palestine's economy is not the way to achieve this goal. The reason I took away a star was due to the narrator's self-centered intrusions on her interview subjects. Pearlman feels ...more
Guido
Sep 10, 2007 rated it liked it
Really just a collection of interviews with a little prefacing by the author (a Jewish girl from Nebraska interviewing Palestinians). Good read if you're interested in the perspective of occupied Palestinians with some general history of the Israeli/Palestinain "situation".

Mildly interesting anecdote about how I discovered this book: my roommate at the time, a Jordanian by birth, was given a copy by some girl he met at an Arabic conference in NYC. Unfortunately, he had read a total of zero book
Mark
Aug 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Mark by: library book
I wanted to read the story of the Palestinians from the viewpoint of the Palestinians. This book did do that but the ironic part was I found out Wendy Pearlman is a Jewish girl from Lincon NE. In high school she was the head of the Lincoln ACLU and since then has gone on to study history at harvard. She did interviews with various Palestinians from the west bank and Gaza strip and let the Palestinians tell their own stories. It was interesting.
Cara
Jan 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in foreign policy
Not exactly an unbiased read - there's a definite agenda, but its still informative. And plus, I'm a sucker for personal histories, or short stories, and these fit the bill. I could have done with less author commentary, but c'est la vie. Especially interesting at the moment, given Israel's recent actions in Gaza.
Kristin
The author is a Jewish woman from the Mudwest, which is interesting. The stories in this book are from Paledtinians of all walks if life, telling stories of personal tragedies and just general life experiences during the Intifada.
Steve
Jan 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A very compelling read. I had to keep picking this one up to find out the next person’s story. I found the author’s stories of getting to the interviews as informative as the interviews themselves. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the middle east.
Michelle