Start by marking “Loot” as Want to Read:
Loot

Loot

April 1945: In the last convulsive days of World War II a convoy of Nazi trucks loaded with Europe's greatest art treasures winds its way through the Alps toward a cavernous Austrian salt mine. With the Allies closing in and chaos erupting, a single truck silently disappears into a mountain snowstorm with its cargo of stolen masterpieces.

Fifty years later, in a seedy Bos

Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published December 1st 1999 by Avon (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Loot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loot

Janebbooks
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.0 out of 5 stars A hunt for a cache of stolen art...

Charlotte Elkins noted on an Amazon mystery discussion that her husband's art trilogy about a museum curator in Seattle, Washington was written "before its time." The first novel in the Chris Norgren trilogy is A Deceptive Clarity (1987). She could have easily said the same about this standalone novel LOOT (1999). Elkins bases the novel on the famed MFA&A...the Monuments, Fine Arts and Archives Unit...an Anglo-American organization of has
Cat.
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Another new character, Benjamin Revere, is introduced in this book. I like this art guy better than Elkins' other art guy; he's just more real for some reason.

The hook here is that a friend of Ben's, a local pawnshop owner, asks him to come look at a painting someone just brought in to be pawned; he thinks it might be a 'real' painting. Next thing Ben knows, his friend is beaten up, dies as a result, and the painting has disappeared. In researching it, he finds that it disappeared during World W
Kathy
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great story. Boston art expert follows a convoluted path to track down the murdered of a pawn shop owner and the provenance of an old masters painting looted by the Nazis. His travels take him to Vienna, to Salzburg to St. Petersburg, to Budapest, back to Vienna To Altausee, and finally to Geneva. This was a good fictional companion read to the non fiction "The Monuments Men" that I read a few weeks back.
Ladyhawk
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story immensely! Very unique and entirely plausible to me. Definitely recommend to those readers who wish to expand their knowledge of classic fine art, European destinations not overly mentioned in books, and just the right amount of Holocaust references to remind us not to forget, without making the story depressing. The narrator did an excellent job of bringing the unique cast of characters to life! A hidden gem I hope more readers discover!
Kristy
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a nice read. "Loot" refers to art stolen by the Nazis in WWII. The book starts with the stolen art being catalogued in a salt mine, but quickly jumps to present day and the quest to find the works in the missing truck. I enjoy mysteries with a basis in history!
Janet
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to a discussion on DorothyL about art looted by the Nazis, some of which was re-looted by the Soviets and never returned, I found that Aaron Elkins had this stand-alone book. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Steph
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Twisty, turny and some stuff I never saw coming, with enough history to the mystery to make it a lot of fun to read.
Thompson
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Mystery and history...a good combination.
Liz V.
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Benjamin Revere, an art expert, has helped the Boston police from time to time with assessment of stolen art. On one such occasion, Revere meets pawn shop owner Simeon Pawlovsky. They become casual friends, with Revere dropping by the shop to visit or Pawlovsky calling Revere for an opinion on whether a newly pawned painting is valuable. Usually it's not, but this time, Revere believes Pawlovsky has acquired a $5 million, old master for $100. While Revere goes off to confirm his suspicion, P ...more
Shannon Wise
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ben is an art historian. He gets a call from his friend who runs a pawnshop, saying that a guy came in and pawned what he thinks is a very expensive painting. The painting is a Velasquez, which was part of a truckload of paintings that went missing during WWII. When Ben goes back to his friend's house, the friend has been murdered and Ben is attacked.

This is the set-up for Loot by Aaron Elkins. It is a mystery and a thriller. It has three of my favorite things, a murder, Nazi-looted art, and pa
Arlene Blackmer
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not as good as other books of his
Maureen
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the first I have read in the art curator series with Benjamin revere as the Boston art cop...I liked it pretty well .... probably will read another one
Monica Willyard Moen
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A stolen painting and the beating of his friend lead an art curator into a mystery featuring Notsi war treasures, greed, Russian mafia, and an aging Earl who claims art was stolen from his family.
Jen
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jen by: Andy
Shelves: fiction, historical
I really enjoyed this book! I learned a lot about the WWII era that I had previously been unaware of or at least don't remember. The writing style was such that it just kept me reading and reading, even when there wasn't a lot happening. In fact, there were quite a few times where it seemed that nothing was going on, but later it was discovered that all of the events tied in together. The narration is in first-person, which was fine; but there were a handful of times throughout the book where th ...more
Penny
Jan 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked this book quite a bit, but I didn't love it in the same way I do Elkins' "Gideon Oliver" series. I think it's because the characters didn't come alive for me in the same way. While Gideon and his associates seem like people I would like to have as friends, Ben Revere was less engaging. Also, when you see Gideon interaction with Julie and occasionally working with John, the relationships between them bring the characters to life even more. Ben, on the other hand, was pretty solitary excep ...more
Annabelle
Jun 24, 2010 rated it liked it
The main character is Ben Revere, a curator, whose pawn broker friend Simeon has found a Velasquez painting. What ensues are murders, visits to others with claims to the picture in Austria, Russia and Romania, and history of Nazi’s stealing art, and others stealing Nazi art, as well as the Russian mafia. There is a great character of a crusty policeman in Austria, And a happy romance with between Ben and Simeon’s niece, Alex. There are great double crosses and clues seem inconsequential at first ...more
Karla Huebner
I quite enjoyed rereading this. I suppose that's not surprising, given that it tells of the adventures of an art historian sleuthing the death of an old pawnbroker and is full of well-researched background about the Nazis' appropriation of works of art and the restitution problems that have resulted. The only thing I wasn't wild about was the pawnbroker's niece as love interest. Her character never exactly grabbed me. However, that's a small matter.
Ruth
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
David has been on an Aaron Elkins kick so I have read a few of his books recently. This one was quite captivating, having to do with art work disappeared during WWII and the recovery of some. Keeps you going to the end, which for me was 1:15 a.m.! All you people who have mentioned I have read a lot lately - that's what I do when I can't sleep!
Steve
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-2
In April 1945, one of the last trucks of plundered art headed for a Nazi storage facility in the Alps falls into Russian hands. Fifty years later, boston art historian Ben Revere finds out the hard way that a few people are still looking for it.
Sep 25, 2007 rated it liked it
Kate bought this book because she knew I liked books about WWII and art and history. Pretty interesting!
Pat
May 15, 2011 added it
Gideon Oliver
Tanner
Mar 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book sucked. Too predictable and way too much time spent talking about food.
Debbie
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
Although I love his Gideon Oliver series, I don't care for this series with an art background. I think it's because I don't care for the main character.
Hapzydeco
Oct 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Greed and deception abound in this story of a convoy of paintings looted during World War II.
Ruthanne
Sep 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Not Gideon Oliver but a good story about Nazi Germany and the legacy of that era.
Clyde
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling story. Enjoyed it cover to cover.
Amanda
Sep 29, 2010 rated it liked it
I wish I had written about this book right after I read it. I picked it up on a whim, and enjoyed it more than I ever would have imagined!
Christina Hurley
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-things, 2014
Fun book. Really liked the characters and plot. Worth the read.
Jim Moffett
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
06-99
Joanne Miller
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful story of lost art

As an art lover I've always been fascinated with the events of stolen art. This was one of the best
  • Rotten Lies (Lee Ofsted, #2)
  • Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7)
  • Ravenmocker (Molly Bearpaw, #1)
  • Death, Guns, and Sticky Buns (Tori Miracle, #3)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Echoes
  • Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)
  • The Library Paradox (Cambridge Mysteries, #3)
  • The Night Visitor (Charlie Moon, #5)
  • Dead Write (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #3)
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
  • A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5)
  • The Silver Ghost (Kelling & Bittersohn, #8)
  • The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5)
  • Withering Heights (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #11)
  • Scots on the Rocks (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #23)
  • Lost Island
  • The Flower Drum Song
Aaron J. Elkins AKA Aaron Elkins (born Brooklyn July 24, 1935) is an American mystery writer. He is best known for his series of novels featuring forensic anthropologist Gideon Oliver—the 'skeleton detective'. The fourth Oliver book, Old Bones, received the 1988 Edgar Award for Best Novel. As Oliver is a world-renowned authority, he travels around the world and each book is set in a different and ...more