Start by marking “Jeremy Poldark: A Novel of Cornwall, 1790-1791 (Poldark, #3)” as Want to Read:
Jeremy Poldark: A Novel of Cornwall, 1790-1791 (Poldark, #3)

Jeremy Poldark: A Novel of Cornwall, 1790-1791 (The Poldark Saga #3)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  5,268 Ratings  ·  357 Reviews
Cornwall 1790. Ross Poldark faces the darkest hour of his life. Accused of wrecking two ships, he is to stand trial at the Bodmin Assizes.

Despite their stormy married life, Demelza has tried to rally support for her husband. But there are enemies in plenty who would be happy to see Ross convicted, not least George Warleggan, the powerful banker, whose personal rivalry with
Published June 6th 2008 by Pan Books (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Jeremy Poldark, please sign up.

Rhea Courtney It shift stems from a couple of things. Primary is Julias death. Both are handling it separately as opposed to discussing their feelings. Then the…moreIt shift stems from a couple of things. Primary is Julias death. Both are handling it separately as opposed to discussing their feelings. Then the trial and money issues come into play. Ross not talking to Demelza about things leads to assumptions. Like not wanting another child. Or Demelza thinking Ross is interested in Elizabeth again. He questions her actions while he was in jail and on trial. Just a lot of disconnection due to pride and stubbornness.(less)
Fiona It seems like this must have been a mistake - maybe an attempt to show a grown-up Jeremy. The cover has been changed to one that shows Ross and…moreIt seems like this must have been a mistake - maybe an attempt to show a grown-up Jeremy. The cover has been changed to one that shows Ross and Demelza.(less)

``Laurie
I found the third book in the Poldark series as enthralling as ever and I highly recommend this series. Can't wait for the PBS miniseries "Poldark" to begin at the end of June either.

Ross and Demelza are experiencing tough financial times thanks to George Warleggan and cousin Francis. Will Ross lose everything he owns to the rapacious George Warleggan? Can't wait to read the next book "Warleggan" to find out.

I'm beginning to strongly dislike Elizabeth who doesn't seem to be able to appreciate
Linda
Oct 07, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"He realized that all the struggle and anxiety of the next few months would not be his alone. She would bear her share of the burden. She was bearing it now."

Within the pages of Winston Graham's Book 3 of the Poldark Series, we come to see the strength and determination of the slight waif who won the heart of Ross Poldark......Demelza. An unlikely young girl who would become his wife. An unlikely frail figure who would cast a giant shadow on things to come.

Ross Poldark, who returned to his famil
Zoi
Aug 06, 2013 Zoi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've just finished the first three of the Poldark novels.

I'd never have considered reading them if I'd not had the opportunity to read the first one for free on kindle, mainly because I shy away from romance-novels-made-into-a-long-running-TV-series.

Pity that.

Winston Graham wrote the first four novels as a series in the 1950's, and then returned to them in the 1970's and wrote another five.

I've read the first three only, because the fourth is not available on Kindle. I will seek it out at th
Sara
The third book in the Poldark series. The farther into the series I go the deeper my feelings become for these marvelous characters. Demelza Poldark is one of the most finely drawn, enthralling women ever put to paper. She has become the heart of the books for me, and I feel that Winston Graham must have felt the same. She is open and honest and leads with her heart, and she puts the gentry to shame.

In this book we become better acquainted with Dwight Enys, a doctor ahead of his time, who feels
Samantha
Apr 06, 2017 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this riveting third book, Ross must face trial for the actions he took following the death of his infant daughter. The feud with the Warleggans threatens the entire community and the relationship with his cousin Francis remains strained. It is then that his wife Demelza makes an announcement that changes their lives in unexpected ways and offers a glimmer of hope for the family's future.
Mary
Sep 02, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this even more for re-reading.
I would encourage others to read as there is far more in the book.
Loved the original series and had Robin and Angharad my mind as I read.
Had a walk around the coastal path yesterday with the dramatic music from that series also.
Very atmospheric!
Enchantress  debbicat ☮
This series is simply amazing! This is the third book in the Poldark series. After a horrific tragedy in book 2, Ross is angry and fragmented. In his pain he does something that will bring him to trial later on. Demelza by his side - loving, supportive, unselfish...stands up for him at all costs.

These are some of the best written characters out there. A highly enjoyable read. I am reading this series as part of a buddy read. Most of my "buddies" are ahead of me, as I joined late. But, oh the di
Piper
Feb 01, 2016 Piper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Another fabulous installment in this Poldark saga that I am LOVING!!! On to book number four!!
QNPoohBear
KOMET
It has been a long while since I've read a novel which has both excited and dazzled me in the way that this one has. As a writer, Winston Graham paints pictures with prose the way Michelangelo did with his palette. Not a word is wasted, evoking images of the windswept landscape of Southwest England abutting the ocean sea that is Cornwall, dotted here and there with a smattering of landed estates, villages, inns, mines, coves, and houses of varying kinds.

It is August 1790 and Ross Poldark finds h
Rebecca Huston
Third in the Poldark saga, this is one that resolves the final twist that occurs at the end of the novel Demelza. The first half of the novel is taken up with Ross' impending trial for disturbing the peace, striking an officer, and other assorted bits of mayhem. Ross for his part has turned dark and sullen, especially as if he is found guilty, he could quite well be executed. Demelza, his wife, is mourning the death of their daughter Julia, and is trying hard to keep Ross in line, and find a way ...more
Piper
Aug 19, 2016 Piper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, re-read
5 FABULOUS SECOND TIME AROUND STARS!!

Not by a hairbreadth would a single external circumstance move to accommodate him and his schemes—he knew that. As well ask, on the butterfly's behalf, for the postponement of sunset or tomorrow's gale.

Her face was preoccupied, thoughtful, intent, but not on what she was doing. He realized that all the struggle and anxiety of the next few months would not be his alone. She would bear her share of the burden. She was bearing it already.

He went to join her.

On
Lisazj1
4.5 stars. Loved the continuing saga, of Ross and Demelza and all the other lives that make up their story! Though I'm reeeeally not happy about what I see coming a mile away. (view spoiler) ...more
Maryanne
May 22, 2015 Maryanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still obsessed with the Poldarks. If you haven't yet, do watch the BBC (2015). But advise DONT read Poldarks' Cornwall before you have read all the books - its FULL of spoilers for the whole series!
Goldilocks Reads (Jenna Vahue)
Jeremy Poldark was very similar to the seaside town of Corwall where it takes place: turbulent, complex infrastructures, and it was breathtaking. Considering the first half of the novel presides over a court case, I was surprisingly intrigued by the whole ordeal. I thought I would have been bored, but a small town filled with my favorite Poldark characters holds plenty of charm for me. Everyone was scattered around the village and it could have been a party despite the dire circumstances.

There w
Tanya
Aug 09, 2015 Tanya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winston Graham once again highlights the plight of the poor in 1790's Cornwall, first through Ross and then through Dr. Dwight Enys. As Ross must focus more of his energy on his trial and then his own financial problems, it is Dwight that seeks to become the champion of the lower classes. An argument between Dwight and the alluring Caroline Penvenen, written as historical fiction in 1950, sounds similar to arguments about income inequality taking place in the 21st Century. It doesn't matter that ...more
Sønia
Me encantan estas series largas que libro a libro se va desarrollando toda la historia. Una vez te metes en ella, no hay manera de dejarla y solo quieres saber qué pasará después. Con el primer libro ya dije que la historia tenía infinitas posibilidades. Luego el segundo fue algo más flojo pero en este tercer libro se incrementa la intensidad y preveo momentos duros en los próximos. Veremos a ver.
Sarah-Vita
BREEZED THROUGH THIS!!!! It felt so good to be reading Poldark again, since I haven't since Series 1 ended. It picked up perfectly after Demelza's ending. I admit, I cried from relief when Ross was found not guilty. And my poor Demelza!!!!! You just wanna hug her!! Ross, I love you, but ugh! You're such a man!!
It ended well though, and I'm so glad they're happy! At least for now...
Rick Slane
Apr 26, 2016 Rick Slane rated it liked it
Pulp historical-fiction that you can read fast. A friend is lending me these books. 3.5 Similar to and a bit easier to read than Outlander No time travel emphasis more on class struggle.
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
4'5 realmente. Adoro el carácter de Ross y se prevee un siguiente libro muy muy interesante
Elena Sala
JEREMY POLDARK is the third book of the Poldark saga. It is an enthralling book, and - I believe -artistically superior to the previous ones. Well, having said that, I have to admit that the irritating Jud Paynter episode near the end is ridiculous and superfluous. It makes absolutely no sense.
However, Graham's neat descriptions of the landscape, the strong plot and the suspense are as good as ever and some of the most outstanding things in this novel are its finely drawn characters and the subt
Abby Jones
Apr 19, 2017 Abby Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good continuation of the Poldark series. It felt very 'middle of the series', but was still a nice evening read. I'm not sure how much more time I'm going to give to this series. I enjoy the tv show, but if Ross doesn't stay true, it starts to loose it's joy. We'll see.
Jamie Collins
3.5 stars. These books are really one long novel; one continuous story broken at regular intervals into independent books and named rather randomly after characters -the titular Jeremy isn’t born until the last pages of this book. Either they're getting better, or I've just become really invested in the characters. I think I'm going to read through the rest of them more quickly, because I was bothered this time by some references to details that I had forgotten.

It’s high drama. Demelza is especi
Andrea
Apr 27, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
WRONG TITLE FOR BOOK!! IT SHOULD BE TRAIL OF ROSS POLDARK!!

Jeremy Poldark is another well written story in the continuing Saga of the Poldark family. The story picks with Ross Poldark on trial by the Crown for attacking and causing the raid of two washed up ships and the stealing of its it contents. The trail takes up 50% of the story. It is well written and interesting, but it was just to much to keep track of. We find Ross in a state of depression at the loss of his baby daughter Julia and a b
D.D. Syrdal
Dec 06, 2015 D.D. Syrdal rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance, classics
Fair warning: Minor spoilery stuff.

Lots of drama in this one: Francis and George, Ross and George, Francis and Dwight, Demelza and Ross, Verity and Francis. Dwight's love interest, Caroline, baffled me. She seems like a horrid person, but he's smitten because she's pretty. Typical guy.

Ross and Demelza misinterpret each others' actions leading to tension and hurt feelings. Nobody'd heard of marriage counseling in the 1790s but it would have done them a world of good to talk more.

Ross seems to
Jeanne Johnston
May 24, 2015 Jeanne Johnston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't have much to say about the last book, which kind of skated through the first year or so. Lots happened, I guess, but it didn't feel like it so much and then POOF. It was over.

This satisfied me a little more. A lot of the conflicts are resolved, including a big threat of prison for Ross (not sure how that came on from left field so, though we know who's behind it). I thought Jud was finally getting his just desserts, but that failure was the only real clunker.

Politically, this is getti
Trisha
Jun 03, 2016 Trisha rated it it was amazing
Andrew
Feb 04, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy a family saga , set in Cornwall
This, the third book, covers the years 1790 and 1791. It will stand on its own, but I recommend reading the previous two books first to get the most from the story.

This book opens with the build up to a trial in Bodmin. It picks up on the end of the second book, when Ross was involved in some shenanigans involving a couple of ships which ended up on the shore line between Nampara Point and Hendrawna Beach.

There follows a tension-filled build up to his trial at the Summer Assizes. This section ex
Marilyn
Dec 06, 2015 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SPOILER ALERT!

Unsatisfyingly SHORT! Otherwise brilliant. Ross and Demelza move forward against great odds, and of course, neither of them comes up short. I must say that as time goes on, much against my wishes, the character of Jud Paynter has wormed his way into the title of favorite character. I absolutely laughed out loud at his treatment in this novel. The reconciliation between the cousins is wonderful; I wonder how long it will last? I'm beginning to dislike Elizabeth...I wonder how long T
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Reviews 5 30 Apr 17, 2017 10:04AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Favorites 9 36 Mar 19, 2016 11:05AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Synopsis and Major Events-SPOILERS! 4 54 Nov 25, 2015 03:31PM
Poldark Saga discussion group 1 7 Nov 24, 2015 12:03PM
  • The Green Gauntlet
  • Isabel the Fair
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • All Change
  • The Story of English: How an Obscure Dialect Became the World's Most-Spoken Language
  • My Enemy's Tears: The Witch of Northampton
  • Vendetta
  • The House at Sunset (House, #3)
  • Deadly Engagement (Alec Halsey Mystery, #1)
  • Fortune Made His Sword
  • The Dutch Girl (Renegades of the American Revolution)
  • The Tudor Bride (Catherine de Valois, #2)
  • Deadly Election (Flavia Albia Mystery, #3)
  • The King's General
  • The Gilded Lily
  • The Thames River Murders (Captain Lacey, #10)
  • The Heaven Tree (Heaven Tree, #1)
  • The Lost Prince: The Survival of Richard of York
Winston Graham was the author of forty novels. His books have been widely translated and the Poldark series has been developed into two television series, shown in 22 countries. Six of Winston Graham's books have been filmed for the big screen, the most notable being Marnie, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Winston Graham was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and in 1983 was awarded the O.B ...more
More about Winston Graham...

The Poldark Saga (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Ross Poldark (Poldark, #1)
  • Demelza (Poldark, #2)
  • Warleggan (Poldark, #4)
  • The Black Moon (Poldark, #5)
  • The Four Swans (Poldark, #6)
  • The Angry Tide (Poldark, #7)
  • The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8)
  • The Miller's Dance (Poldark, #9)
  • The Loving Cup (Poldark, #10)
  • The Twisted Sword (Poldark, #11)

“Do you believe we are masters of ourselves, or merely dance like puppets on strings having the illusion of independence?” 18 likes
“I believe yours is the only wisdom, Demelza.” 8 likes