Start by marking “The Inferno of Dante” as Want to Read:
The Inferno of Dante

The Inferno of Dante (La Divina Commedia #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  111,020 Ratings  ·  3,692 Reviews
This widely praised version of Dante's masterpiece, which won the Los Angeles Times Book Prize and the Harold Morton Landon Translation Award of the Academy of American Poets, is more idiomatic and approachable than its many predecessors. Former U.S. Poet Laureate Pinsky employs slant rhyme and near rhyme to preserve Dante's terza rima form without distorting the flow of E ...more
Paperback, Bilingual (English-Italian), 384 pages
Published March 30th 1996 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1320)

To ask other readers questions about The Inferno of Dante, please sign up.

Andre LeMagne The Divine Comedy (which is not just the Inferno -- read all three parts!) is a masterwork of psychology. Each little vignette reveals something…moreThe Divine Comedy (which is not just the Inferno -- read all three parts!) is a masterwork of psychology. Each little vignette reveals something important about the human mind. The punishments in hell show people simply experiencing the consequences of their childish/neurotic/sinful behavior. There is poetic justice in each punishment. The Purgatorio shows people struggling to grow up and stop being infantile sinners. And the Paradisio -- is about science!(less)
Edward Richmond That's kind of a tricky question. Most people will read it in translation from the original 13th-century Italian, so the vocabulary will vary in…moreThat's kind of a tricky question. Most people will read it in translation from the original 13th-century Italian, so the vocabulary will vary in difficulty depending on the translators' goals. In general, any reasonably recent translation will be quite intelligible to most readers. I have seen bright teenagers handle it without any trouble at all, in terms of their ability to comprehend the vocab.

The real challenge is the historical and theological background of Inferno, which is complex. Dante was a high-ranking career politician in Florence, and was subsequently exiled from there, stripped of his property and forced to flee for his life. He was an intensely political man, extremely well educated, and he was nursing grudges that show up in the poem. He makes a lot of references to political events that most modern readers won't understand. And also, he spends a lot of time talking about medieval Roman Catholic theology, applying it to the story at hand. Again, modern readers tend to have trouble.

The best way to ensure a good experience with this poem is for you to choose a translation that is intended to be readable, with good notes on the text. I cut my teeth on the poem with the translation by Mark Musa, which you can find in The Portable Dante. It has fairly good explanatory notes.

A more recent, and possibly better choice, especially if you like parallel text translations, is the Inferno translation by Durling and Martinez, which has excellent notes. It's easily my favorite of those that are commonly available, and I have had glowing reviews of it from friends who wanted an accessible introduction to the poem.(less)

Paquita Maria Sanchez
I just want to start off by saying that "Through me you enter into the City of Woes" would make an EXCELLENT tramp stamp. Jump on it!

Being that I am an atheist living in the "Bible Belt," I was certain that reading this would lead to some sort of goodreads tirade, which can at times feel about as good as vomiting up a sour stomach or...you know...doing other stuff like shit that ladies don't do. However, I was from the outset hypnotized by Dante's très Baudelaire-esque-grotesque imagery and over
Glenn Russell
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Dante’s Inferno - the first book I was assigned to read in my high school World Literature class. Back then I couldn’t get over how much the emotion of fear set the tone as I read each page. I recently revisited this classic. Rather than a more conventional review – after all, there really is nothing I can add as a way of critical commentary –- as a tribute to the great poet, I would like to share the below microfiction I wrote a number of years ago:

JOYRIDE
One balmy July evening at a seaside a
Michael Finocchiaro
One of the great classics that everyone should attempt reading once. For Walking Dead fans, had there been no Dante, there could never have been a Kirkman. There is incredible violence and suffering (it is Hell after all), but the relationship between Virgil and Dante is a beautiful one that evolves as their descend lower and lower.
I read both the John Ciardi translation in verse (rhyming for the first and third lines in each stanza trying to keep to Dante's 11-syllable structure) and John M Sin
Manny
Since it's Good Friday, and thus exactly 717 years since Dante's pilgrim descended into the underworld, I thought it would be an auspicious moment to tell people about the project I've been pursuing together with Dr Sabina Sestigiani, an Italian lecturer at Swinburne University in Melbourne. Dante's poem is celebrated as one of the treasures of world literature - but it is not very accessible, being written in archaic Italian. Although there are translations, and even these are wonderful, a tran ...more
Manny
The other day, in the comment thread to her review of The Aeneid, Meredith called The Divine Comedy "lame": specifically, she objected to the fact that Dante put all the people he didn't like in Hell. Well, Meredith, you're perfectly welcome to your opinions - but I'm half Italian, and I've been politely informed that if I don't respond in some way I'm likely to wake up some morning and find a horse's head lying next to me. So here goes.

I actually have two separate defenses. First, let's conside
Joshua Nomen-Mutatio
Sep 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
THIS BOOK IS ABOUT HOW HELL IS GONNA SUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
Nefariousbig
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
A fantastic representation of Dante's Inferno - Nine Circles of Hell as divined by divine Lego artist, Mahai Marius Mihu. This is as close as I hope to get to understanding the Nine Circles according to Dante Alighieri.

i. LIMBO - A place of monotony, here the souls are punished to wander in restless existence while they moan helplessly in echoes between the ruins of a temple
Limbo

ii. LUST - Surrounded by erotic representations, those overcome by lust are forced to watch and experience disgusting thin
Bill  Kerwin
Jun 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

An excellent translation--even better than John Ciardi. Like Ciardi, Pinsky is a real poet and makes Dante the poet come alive. His verse has muscularity and force, and his decision to use half-rhyme is an excellent one, since it allows us to attend to the narrative undistracted.
James
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to Inferno, the first of three books in the "Divine Comedy" series, written around 1320 by Dante Alighieri. A few pieces of background information for those who many not know, before I get into a mini-review. Inferno, which means "Hell" was one of three books Dante wrote in the 14th century, essentially about the three spaces people occupy after death: Hell (Inferno), Purgatory and Heaven (Paradiso). I've only read Inferno, so I'm not able to discuss much on the o
Maureen
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I DID IT. I FINISHED IT. BLESS.
This is such an interesting book, though definitely very hard to get through. I think if I was able to read it in Italian it would be a little easier as it would actually be read like Dante intended, but it's still really cool to see all the concepts! This is such an influential piece of literature and is referenced SO MUCH in culture that it is really cool to have a basis for it. I think I may reread this in a different rhyming translation next time to see what th
Algernon
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Before I start talking about the book proper, I have a confession to make: I wasn't sure I really wanted to read philosophical poetry written seven centuries ago. I had doubts about style, quality of translation and my own lack of literary background in decyphering the numerous Christian and mythological references, not to mention political and cultural trivia from Dante's Florence. Thanks to my Goodreads friends, I took the plunge and I can report back that it was well worth the effort. Even be ...more
Vessey
I realize that I need to edit one particular part, but this review means a lot to me and I would like for it to stay the way it was written, regardless of the revalations and events that took place later.

Beautifully written and emotionally draining. However, this isn't simply a tale of terror. It is a philosophical and, I suppose, historical work as well. (I learned interesting historical facts). Who among us are sinners? Who are the righteous ones? Are people and deeds simply right or wrong, go
Riku Sayuj
About Translation

It took me a while to decide on the translation to use. After a few days of research and asking around, I shortlisted Musa and Hollander. Went with Hollander since it seemed better organized. Turned out to be a good choice.

The translation is fluid and easy on the ear. The Italian version is also available when you want to just read the Italian purely for the sound of verse. I am no judge of the fidelity of the various translations, but this was an easy read and that was good. Th
Nahed.E
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: للدراسة

عشت مع كلمات دانتي ليلتي أمس .. وتأملته وهو يصف حال الفلاسفة والشعراء الذين نتغني بأعمالهم طوال عمرنا وهم في الجحيم
فقد كان مأواهم جميعاً في الجحيم
تخيل أن تجد سقراط وافلاطون وأرسطو وأبيقور وديموقريطس وهوميروس
واين سينا وابن رشد وكليوباترا وأخيل وكثير من الفلاسفة والشعراء والزعماء الذين تظل تقرأ لهم وعنهم طوال حياتك وقد أصبح مصيرهم جميعاً الجحيم !!
!!
شئ غريب للغاية أن يتخيل شاعر إيطالي هذا المصير لكل هؤلاء
والأكثر غرابة أن يصف لنا حالهم وسط الأهواء والرياح والنار والهوة السحيقة المظلمة التي يعيشون
Ahmed Ibrahim
استغربت حين رأيت على غلاف الكتاب أنه ترجمة د.سامي الدروبي، وما أعرفه أنه لم يترجمها، ولم تخرج ترجمته خارج الأدب الروسي.. لكن بعد أن قرأت مقدمة المترجم وجدت أن التوقيع عام 2002، ضحكت كثيرًا على كونهم لصوص أغبياء، فسامي الدروبي متوفى في أواخر السبعينات.
وعندما وجدت أن الترجمة جيدة، وحواشيها مفصلة بشكل ممتاز، فعلمت أنها مسروقة، فتصفحت في ترجمة كاظم جهاد وجدت أن هذه النسخة بالفعل مسروقة منها بدون أي تغيير.
دار الألف كتاب لصوص لكن بشكل أرقى من بائعين الكتب الكوبي.

الكوميديا الإلهية ملحمة شعرية من أشهر
Foad
ای آن که بدین مکان داخل می شوی، از هر امیدی دست بشوی!
سر در دوزخ

کمدی الهی، شاهکار "دانته" شاعر ایتالیایی، شرح سفر خیالی او از دوزخ به برزخ و سپس به بهشت است. دانته در توصیف طبقات دوزخ و بهشت، از تلفیقی از الهیات مسیحی و اساطیر رومی و تخیل خویش بهره برده است.
معشوق او، "بئاتریس" که ساکن بهشت است، یکی از ارواح را (روح "ویرژیل"، شاعر رومی) می فرستد تا دانته را راهنمایی کرده، از دوزخ نجات دهد و به بهشت برساند. برای این سفر، دانته باید از طبقات دوزخ یک به یک پایین برود و از میان ارواح معذب بگذرد تا در
Richard
For the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh versus The Divine Comedy

(All citations from the Inferno are from the Longfellow translation.)

To You

Paw in paw we come
Pooh and the Bouncer
To lay this review in your lap.
Give us one of those sultry little smiles
and say you're surprised!
Say you can't get over it!
Say it's just what you've always wanted
and it's even more fun than a day at the spa
(because, let's face it, hunny honey, on my salary
I couldn'
Γιώργος
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient, read-in-2017
uscimmo a riveder le stelle (εβγήκαμε να ξαναδούμε τ' άστρα)

Έτσι τελειώνει η Κόλαση, με τον Δάντη και τον οδηγό και δάσκαλό του Βιργίλιο να τελειώνουν το ταξίδι τους βγαίνοντας από τον αναποδογυρισμένο κώνο της Κολάσεως στο νότιο ημισφαίριο της Γης. Μου είναι πολύ δύσκολο να μιλήσω για το πρώτο μέρος της Θείας Κωμωδίας. 34 άσματα, 4.720 στίχοι. Γραμμένο πριν 7 αιώνες. Περιγράφει το ταξίδι του Δάντη στην Κόλαση του Χριστιανισμού όπου τιμωρούνται με σκληρότητα οι κολασμένοι από τον Δίκαιο μα καθόλ
Joseph
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
The Inferno or Dante Alighieri need little introduction. Most people are familiar with the Divine Comedy regardless of their religion or lack of one. The Divine Comedy is one man's journey with his guide, through Hell and Purgatory, Virgil. Beatrice is his guide in heaven. The Inferno is the journey through the nine layers of hell and, to many, the most interesting of the three journies. Purgatory is a boring place by design and Heaven is well, heaven.

I always felt The Inferno contained the best
7jane
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
(2016: review to 9780141195872 cover - hardback, red devils cover art:)
(I didn't read the main text of this one, but I think I will read the English half at some point.)
This one has chronology, introduction, map of Italy, plan of Hell plus commentaries and notes at the end. The main text itself is shown with Italian text on the left side, English on the right side. Commentaries include many comments on the linguistic details that I don't remember the paperback Penguin version having. There is al
Sura  ✿
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry-شعر
في البداية لا يمكن انكار ان الترجمه سلبت الكثير من هذه الملحمه الشعريه لكن انصح بترجمه كاظم جهاد فهي الافضل وتحتوي على الاجزاء الثلاثه , بمجلد واحد
تعكس هذه اللوحه الرائعه اضطرابات الوضع السياسي والديني في تلك الفتره ,
وسيطرة الكنيسه وفسادها انذاك لذا نرى دانتي يترنح بين الشاعر العاطفي الميال الى الرحمه وبين رجل الدين المتعصب
الذي يحكم على من اعتنق دين غير المسيحيه بالعقاب في الجحيم , حتى وان كان نبيا -قبل او بعد المسيح- فهو يواجه هذا المصير.
وهاهو يرمي خصومه الذين عاصروه - وحتى من لم يعاصرهم لك
Sarah ❤
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I really liked this book because it was just so interesting to learn all the different levels of hell, whose in each, and what the punishment is for every sin.

Here’s all the levels:

Here is a good map of all the people there:

1st Circle of Hell: Limbo

Well I’m not sinning
Mary Ronan Drew
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 Reasons to Read Dante's Inferno

1. To finally figure out the difference between the Guelphs and the Ghibellines. Dante was a Guelph.

2. To discover why Constantine made his famous donation.

3. To learn some new and ingenious ways to torture your enemies. Dante is very imaginative in this regard.

4. To find out what happened to Potiphar's wife, Mohammed, Ulysses, Atilla the Hun, Cleopatra, and Helen of Troy. We meet them all in The Inferno.

I recommend Dorothy Sayers' translation because of the exce
Debbie
Jan 26, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure where the copy of the book came from. The copyright is one year before I was born, but I don't remember picking it up in a used book store. But I guess that's neither here nor there.

I wish I could honestly check off 5 stars and say that my eyes were opened. That I really felt transformed by having read this classic of literature and that I will make it point to re-read it every year on the anniversary of my having discovered the error of my ways in not reading it at age 5.

But I can'
Stephen P
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephen by: A Scary Impulse
I understand there is nothing new I can say about this classic. What I can do is offer my experience of reading Dante’s opus, to hope that by writing the review much more will be revealed to me of my reading than I know here at the start. I imagine I will offer much speculation which has probably been speculated upon for eons. But for me speculation is at the heart of reading and of writing. There is no Virgil to guide me-us. On our own let’s step into The Inferno.

Homage is due for this epic sc
Ritu Raveendran

Inferno is part one of the Divine Comedy Series where Dante Alighieri puts across his version of Hell, Purgatory and Heaven of course based on the Christian perception along with the addition of Greek Mythology.
Dante is lead on by his dear friend Virgilius through the Inferno and Purgatory, further Beatrice comes forward to lead him through the Paradise .

Dante has divided the hell in 9 circles with further subdivisions and all the sinners namely Heretics, Gluttonous, violent ones, Flatterers an
Michael Finocchiaro
[Repeat of review of Sinclair translation]
Andrew Spear
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As though I could really give Dante anything but five stars? Seriously, The Inferno in general and this edition in particular is a great read. Anthony Esolen does a great job of not only placing the book in its historical context (almost anyone who can write numbers can do that), but also of helping the reader to appreciate and to almost step inside of the world-view held by Dante himself. This is accomplished both through the use of copious informative endnotes and through the inclusion at the ...more
Richard Derus
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: This widely praised version of Dante's masterpiece, which won the Los Angeles Times Book Prize and the Harold Morton Landon Translation Award of the Academy of American Poets, is more idiomatic and approachable than its many predecessors. Former U.S. Poet Laureate Pinsky employs slant rhyme and near rhyme to preserve Dante's terza rima form without distorting the flow of English idiom. The result is a clear and vigorous translation that is also unique, stude
RK-ique
I very much loved reading this. Such a joy to read. Right behind Cervantes for pure audaciousness.

Hell is a place full of marvels and Dante has taught us well. Can't wait.

The Mandelbaum edition is great - no attempt to write in rhyme scheme but still very poetic. Notes are good but I would recommend reading something before hand that gives sense of Dante and medieval thought. May write more if I can turn the world off.
The Most Significant Wrinkle Lotion In Generally Market 1 1 Oct 10, 2017 03:01AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct/add credit 5 14 Jul 01, 2017 02:28PM
  • The Song of Roland
  • Tales from Ovid: 24 Passages from the Metamorphoses
  • The Decameron
  • Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained (Signet Classics)
  • Selected Essays
  • The Lais of Marie de France
  • The Canterbury Tales
  • Orlando Furioso
  • Bulfinch's Mythology
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. B: The Sixteenth Century & The Early Seventeenth Century
  • Yvain, or The Knight with the Lion
  • The Waste Land
Dante Alighieri, or simply Dante (May 14/June 13 1265 – September 13/14, 1321), is one of the greatest poets in the Italian language; with the comic story-teller Boccaccio and the poet Petrarch, he forms the classic trio of Italian authors. Dante Alighieri was born in the city-state Florence in 1265. He first saw the woman, or rather the child, who was to become the poetic love of his life when he ...more
More about Dante Alighieri...

La Divina Commedia (3 books)
  • Purgatorio (The Divine Comedy, #2)
  • Paradiso (The Divine Comedy, #3)
“Do not be afraid; our fate
Cannot be taken from us; it is a gift.”
2660 likes
“In the middle of the journey of our life I found myself within a dark woods where the straight way was lost.” 563 likes