Start by marking “Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree” as Want to Read:
Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree

Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree

A classic picture book celebrating all the joy a Christmas tree can bring!

Christmas is here and Mr. Willowby's tree has arrived! There's just one big problem . . . the tree is too tall to fit in his parlor. He cuts off the top so it will fit, but little does he know that the top of that tree will travel clear across the countryside, bringing holiday cheer to the homes of
Published October 17th 2000 by Doubleday Books for Young Readers (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree

Diane
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, christmas
An adorable children's story about a big Christmas tree that Mr. Willowby buys, but it's too tall for the room. The top part is cut off and given to the maid, where it's also too tall for her room. She snips off the top part and throws it away, but it's found by the gardener who takes it home. Then that top part of the tree is cut off and is found by a happy bear, and so on...

The book was first published in 1963 and it does seem like a classic Christmas story. I would highly recommend it for par
Pamela
I Love this timeless, children's Christmas classic.

Christmas tree, oh so grand - home to hearth, hand to hand, lop . . . lop . . . lop, tree top to tree top, stand to stand. From Mr. Willowby to Mistletoe Mouse, the perfect sized tree for every creature's house.

Merry Christmas, indeed. 🎄

FIVE ***** Timeless and Beloved, Children's Christmas Classic, in Rhyme. ***** STARS

booklady
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids of all ages
Recommended to booklady by: Sandy
A delightful holiday story first introduced to me by my dear hubby's mom shortly after we got married. Mom-in-Law sent Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree as a Christmas gift for our first or second Christmas as a married couple and it's been a tradition ever since. As best I can discover it was published it 1963. In any event it was a story my husband heard growing up, my children were charmed by in their growing up years and I still like to pull out (almost) every Christmas!

Mr Willowby has no use fo
Kathryn
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS. It's easy to see why this little treasure remains to be a Christmas treat since its debut in the 1960s. The illustrations are gosh darn cute and have that vintage '60s feel without seeming too old-fashioned or the least bit passe. (I love that I am not the only one who thinks Mr. Willowby looks like the Monopoloy man!) It's the sort of cumulative tale kids love--when Mr. Willowby's gianormous Christmas tree is just a bit too tall for his mansion, he has the top chopped off and gives i ...more
Davyne DeSye
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an enjoyable little book for the very young! This is one of the books I used to read to my children when they were little and I found it again as I was decorating...

Mr Willowby lives in a grand mansion and so, naturally, orders a grand Christmas tree. The problem? It's too grand -- being too tall for even his immense parlor. The butler solves the problem by cutting the top of the tree off. The maid is quite happy with the tree top, as it makes a perfect tree for her room, except for being a
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This was one of my favorite Christmas stories growing up. I was fascinated by how many animals were able to get a Christmas tree from pieces of this one tree, and how the trees and animals kept getting smaller and smaller. It's so nice to see this classic still in print, and to own it both in print and as an ebook. Highly recommended for the yuletide holidays!
ღ Carol jinx~☆~☔
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Willowby's huge Christmas tree is delivered but it's too tall, so he snips off the top and gives the top to the maid. Everyone just keeps snipping the top off and discarding it until even the mice have a tree that suits them just fine.
Matthew
To check out all my reviews: http://dancinginth3dark.blogspot.com

I have never heard of this Christmas book in my life until now and I am surprised how this is a classic and they even made a Christmas TV Special featuring the Muppets. I believe this classic should be read because I loved every moment of it from the illustrations to the craziness of the story.

Mr. Willowby's is getting ready for the arrival of his Christmas tree and when it arrives it is utterly marvelous in appearance and right fo
Ann
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ann by: Katie!
When Mr. Willowby's Christmas tree arrives at his mansion, and is just a tiny bit too tall, there is only one solution: to cut off the top! But, Mr. Willowby realizes that the cut-off-top would make the perfect Christmas tree for his maid. The grateful maid soon realizes that the tree is a tad too big for her room, so she chops off the top and tosses it. But, the top is discovered... and so on.

A great little rhyming story with charming illustrations that are whimsical and warm. I had a few qualm
David L. Flickinger
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my favorites for the Christmas Season. I read it to my children since I loved reading it as a child. Sharing is of paramount importance in this book, but you are not knocked over the head with it. Joy for others can be found in the trash you discard. I recorded myself reading this to an MP3 player that was left with my third child in the NICU for 10 weeks. She was able to hear this story and others that were read by me and by my wife when we were not there to talk to her. Gre ...more
Lizzie Jones
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is my favorite Christmas book, hands down.
Katherine
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Several years ago I began a tradition of reading children's Christmas books during the holiday season. This one was requested along with others from my library but turned out it was a straggler that showed up after Christmas. Even though we're well into January it was still a joy to read, it's a delightful story-in-rhyme with colorful fun illustrations.

Shimelle
Dec 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
No matter how old I get, this is my favourite story at this time of year. Just a simple little idea of what one person can pass on to make someone else's day brighter, but oh so lovely. The illustrations are perfect as can be.

I'm certainly not the only one in my family to remember this tale. Growing up, my grandparents had a beautiful flocked tree. It was so, so tall, covered in velvet snow and little red satin birds. Of course, artificial trees have a lifespan and by the time I was in my last y
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I had a copy of this book as a kid and literally read it to pieces. The pictures were magical to me as a small child, as was the idea of the tree getting cut smaller and smaller--and some small critter enjoying the "leftovers" someone else threw out. Perhaps being the youngest of a large family made that resonate. That and my love of small things.
Read this with a child you love, particularly if they're the smallest, the youngest, or the one who consistently gets pushed aside or left out. Go on-
Heather
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Guy Vestal  - Counter Culture Critic
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children
This review was posted at Amazon, as well as My Website.

From the publisher:

"Mr. Willowby's Christmas tree
Came by special delivery.
Full and fresh and glistening green--
The biggest tree he'd ever seen."
That was the trouble. The tree was so tall, it couldn't stand up straight in his parlor. Mr. Willowby asked his butler to chop off the top of the tree. What happens to the treetop? Where will it be for Christmas? Snuggle up with this story and follow along through a forest full of friendly crea
Donna Mork
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Willowby orders a huge tree. It's too tall so he cuts off the top. The butler takes the top to the maid. She puts it up in her room but it's too tall, so she cuts off the top. This continues down all the way to the little mice. Their tree is just as nice.
Alisha
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this one to my son for his daily reading time. I liked this story, because no part of the tree went unused. It wasn't wasted in any way, shape, or form. I love hearing that. A good story to read to my son not only to show everyone has a Christmas but that every part of the tree top was used.
Kerri
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute, simple, fun pictures.
Erin
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fun story about sharing at Christmastime!
Dolly
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We just read Just Right for Christmas by Birdie Black and thought it was a very nice, entertaining story. We noticed that both Kathryn and Angela compared that book to this one. I knew that we'd also just borrowed this book, too, so I was very excited to read it next.

The story did not disappoint. As in their reviews, we saw how similar the two stories were. The rhyming narrative and the colorful, cartoonish illustrations work together nicely to create a lovely, fun story to read aloud. The chara
Amanda
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Forgettable

Every bit of Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree gets used in this tale for children as it's always just a tad too tall. But, given the illustrations, the tree ought to have been the right height quite some time before it was! Those who are expecting something like Jim Henson's made-for-TV movie (starring Robert Downing, Jr., no less) of the same name will find the similarities betwixt these scarce. Most of the people/animals who get a piece of the tree are left out of that rendition (with
Sam Grace
The formula of the gift that keeps on giving is a common one in Christmas books - my favorite of this type is Yuriko Kimura's Christmas Present from a friend (the data is all kinds of screwed up on that link, and pretty much everywhere online) - and this was fine if you like that kind of story, but not much more. A rich man gets a Xmas tree too big even for his enormous ceiling and cuts off the top (wtf? who cuts the top off?) and then that is thrown away where it is found by someone who wants i ...more
Qwendy
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Robert Barry’s Mr. Willowby’s Christmas Tree has enchanted children up to age seven since 1963 and it continues to hold broad appeal. Beautifully detailed, softly shaded colorful drawings nicely complement the rhyming text, unraveling a predictable Christmas story. Mr. Willowby’s tree starts off "too tall" and it is slowly whittled down, until the tree is a mere remnant of itself.

Through Barry’s rhyming prose children learn about the interconnectedness of life. As the tree grows progressively s
Abigail
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my all time favorite Christmas books. My mom read it to my siblings and I ever year during Advent time. This year she sent it to me for St. Nicholas' Day and I sat my husband down and read it to him as soon as I got it out of the package.
The story follows a tree as it makes it's rounds through the houses of those waiting on Christmas day. Starting with Mr. Willowby and ending with a small family of mice. Each person excitedly decorates the tree and then learns that the tree
Shayna
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This story is about this man who orders a really big christmas tree. He chops off part of the tree and trows it out. this story is about how the tree topper goes around and what happens when other animals find it. a great story perfect for all ages around christmas time. Love this story, great quick read!
Skylar Burris
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This is a cute Christmas story about the beauty of trickle-down economics. My four-year-old wanted it read several times.
Thera Grady
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this Christmas story book. It's beautifully illustrated and the story is so charming. My kids and I read this EVERY year!! One of our favorites.
Annamaria
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A bit old fashioend but such a great read and, talk about recycling!!
Wendy
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Adorable! Might need to add this to my Christmas book collections!

• The Christmas Magic
  • Shall I Knit You a Hat?: A Christmas Yarn
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • Silver Packages: An Appalachian Christmas Story
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Who Is Coming to Our House?
  • An Orange for Frankie