Start by marking “Writing the Sacred Journey: Art and Practice of Spiritual Memoir” as Want to Read:
Writing the Sacred Journey: Art and Practice of Spiritual Memoir

Writing the Sacred Journey: Art and Practice of Spiritual Memoir

Writing the Sacred Journey shows readers how to write about spirituality and the interior life with heart and flair. It helps readers get motivated, generate materials, move swiftly through drafts, and gain confidence and ease in their writing. Writing the Sacred Journey helps readers to uncover and honor the sacred within their own life stories. Elizabeth Andrew, an exper ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Skinner House Books (first published December 15th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Writing the Sacred Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing the Sacred Journey

Kressel Housman
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
I’m getting back into writing again, thank G-d, and because I try and live a religious life, writing about my own “sacred journey” is only logical. This was the first writing book I’ve ever found that specifically addresses the topic of spiritual memoir writing, and it was a good beginning, but by no means the end. Unfortunately, I don’t think I used the book to its full potential. I didn’t do any of the suggested writing prompts since I’m busy with the ones I’m being assigned in my current writ ...more
Sumangali Morhall
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is surely a treasure trove for any budding, struggling, or thriving memoirist. It's meticulously researched – both inwardly and outwardly – showing a rich depth of understanding. There is also a refreshingly broad use of the term "spiritual", beyond the more obvious religious experience, to include any inner quest for meaning through outer life: whether via nature, or the death of a loved one, or even via writing itself.

This is a courageous work, and clearly a labour of love. Its very authe
Cheryl
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I used to journal all the time; it was a useful tool although it has been several years since I did it regularly. This writing guide was somewhat beyond that, in the realm of actually writing a memoir that chronicles your life and your spiritual journey. It was fascinating, and very practical: there were exercises on nearly every page, and I sampled from them, and it was a fantastic exercise that really opened my heart and eyes to what is around me and within me. I never want to be a sleepwalker ...more
Charity
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, owned
Elizabeth Jarrett Andrew's insights are amazing and poignant and really speak to me. I've worked through some of the exercises and some hit me more than others (as I would expect). Then there are the ones that are tedious and daunting and I know those are likely the ones that really need my focus but instead I tend to shy away from them. For example, a really heavy and personal blog post arose out of one of the exercises in this book, and I've not had the courage to try another exercise since. I ...more
Melanie Griffin
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
At a time when books on writing and so-called "spiritual memoirs" are as ubiquitous (and about as worthwhile) as the tabloids, Elizabeth Andrew's book really stands out. She is a wise and compassionate guide for the process of writing a spiritual memoir. Tons of fun and unusual exercises in the book, just enough of her own story to pique my interest and make me want to read her memoir Swinging on the Garden Gate.
She's an excellent writer, has a lovely gift for metaphor, and is a born teacher. I
Jessica Wicks
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Aspiring writers of memoir
She discloses as well as anyone the inner nature of writing good spiritual memoir. If memoir writing is your thing, I highly recommend it.
Patricia Mohney
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on writing I have ever read, including books about memoirs. Highly recommend it for anyone in the process of or thinking about writing a fiction book or memoir.
Rachel Rueckert
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have decided to start writing a spiritual memoir this summer. After scouting out model books and memoirs, this book kept popping up. Elizabeth Andrew clearly knows her stuff and has read a lot in the genre. Overall, I think it had a lot of valuable insights and writing exercises, especially from an entry level for people who probably don’t have a lot of experience writing anything, despite feeling semi dramatic and sappy at times.

Andrew quotes others who define spiritual writing as “poetry or
Baxter Trautman
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: writers, memoirists,
Lucid, inclusive, she gets to the core of writing spiritual memoir. Plus she quotes often from other writers - something I love because it introduces me to new writers. Highly recommended if spiritual writing is your interest.
Yaaresse
Read for possible use in group setting.

One of the better books on the topic I've read. The emphasis is on writing with spiritual introspection as the focus. It can get a little overly dramatic at times, but that seems to be the norm for these kinds of books.

Plans for using this in a group setting sort of petered out, but maybe I'll revisit it for personal use.
Serena Asta
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Writers, spiritually-minded (thoughtful) readers
Shelves: favorite-writers
One of the best books I've found to help me unravel (or is it "to ravel"?) my own spiritual memoir. Elizabeth Jarrett Andrew's Writing the Sacred Journey is an essential companion as I walk my own personal labyrinth of spirituality and story.
Anonymous
May 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Not what I was looking for. There are other great memoir writing books out there.
Daniel Jr.
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Using this in my memoir class at the retreat center. I can't imagine a better resource--very well written, with a spiritual understanding that is deep and rich.
Mariah McKenzie
Jan 12, 2008
K
May 11, 2010
Lindy
Spiritual memoir and finding the sacred amidst our daily lives is the focus of this resource.
Amie Stuart
Dec 22, 2010
Renee Dechert
Feb 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Hello, fellow readers! I'm using Goodreads to track my reading, to find like-minded book-lovers who want to share titles, and to connect with readers of my books. Feel free to follow my reviews or become a virtual friend.

As a writer, I'm passionate about creating stories that nourish the soul. I love exploring how faith functions, both inside and outside of religious traditions, and depicting the