Start by marking “Die For Love” as Want to Read:
Die For Love

Die For Love

What happened to Edward Wallingford? His great-great nephew William is determined to find out.

England 1935.
Edward Wallingford, an artist, is on a solitary walking tour of the West Country. To recuperate from pneumonia, he wants to walk, paint and enjoy the countryside. When he stops at Claeg, a village in Dorset, he visits Marston Castle on the outskirts of the town. He b
Published November 1st 2021

Recommended to paulinereidbookreviewer by: Ellen Read
15 December 2021
Podcast review

3 December 2021
YouTube Review along with artwork done by Ellen Read.
Great one to read for Christmas time.

A suspenseful, macabre ghost story, throwing you from past to present, with a mystery well worth figuring out. Superbly written and thought out, plot twist thrills and chills. This is definitely a page turner and I throughly enjoyed it. I'm sure this will end up on a book sellers list as one of
Brian O'Hare
When it comes to period stories, Ellen Read is in a class of her own. With seemingly little effort (a deceptive impression, surely!) she conjures up the mood and mores of whatever time she chooses to write about. I was particularly impressed by this gift when I read The Dragon Sleeps, one of her early Thornton Mysteries. In Die for Love, she juggles two time periods – 1935 and the present day – and does so with calm and impressive efficiency, and with such clarity that it almost seems as if she ...more
Anne
Jan 16, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Having read Ellen read's "Thornton Mysteries" I was looking forward to "Die For Love". I was not disappointed. Ellen is excellent at "painting the picture" and has a knack of placing her reader within the story. Set in the same village in England and alternating between modern day and the 1930's, with a well thought out plot, the story moved at a good pace. Described as a ghost story - there was much more to enjoy - with intrigue, suspense, mystery, history and romance added to make a very enjoy ...more
Tina
Nov 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Oh, how very intriguing. A mystery, a gothic fantasy, a romance...different threads expertly interwoven, like a magical carpet. A pleasure to read, highly recommended.
Linda Lou
Die for Love is a love story that has roots from a poem by William Wordsworth… Tis Said, That Some Have Died For Love is a poem that finds a place in this bizarre story of love. Of course, I had to read the poem before I started reading Die for Love.

Read has written a brilliant and grisly tale of unexpected love. Die For Love takes place in 1935 England and ends in the same place; except in the present. Two men related twice removed, a budding love for one of them, local rumors of other missing
Vicky Coughlan
Nov 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this macabre story. Told in the present and in the past. Will is trying to find out what happened to his great great grandfather and follows his steps to where he was last heard from. An haunted castle and 3 very nasty ghosts enter the mix in this very well told tale. I don’t give the plot away. Never do but invite readers to get this book. You’re in for a very haunted treat!
Ellen Read
A Ghost Story.

Die For Love will be released on 1st November 2021
Pre-order on Amazon is available now.

The idea for Die For Love came from a short story I wrote years ago.
The title is inspired by William Wordsworth’s poem 'Tis Said, That Some Have Died for Love

Claeg is a fictitious village in Dorset close to Corfe Castle. Because of this proximity to Corfe Castle, I’ve borrowed Corfe Castle’s history of clay making. In 1791, William Pike, a merchant from Devon, signed a contract with Josiah Wedg
Kazz Mossman
Feb 07, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2022
This was an excellent creepy story. There were times when I wondered how plausible it was. Would you visit a haunted house when you were told you would die?

William was under the spell of Rose who he didn’t believe was a ghost, just as his ancestor Edward did before him. Only he never returned which was why William felt he needed to solve the mystery.

The story switched between 1935 and present day, and very cleverly done by the author. I found myself absorbed, even though at times I questioned wh
Steve Griffin
Nov 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read several stories by Ellen Read so was looking forward to reading Die for Love, her first ghost story. I wasn’t disappointed! The book’s title, inspired by a Wordsworth poem, is perfect for this tale, which follows the stories of two men, a painter from the 1930s and a modern-day photographer, who both fall for a fey woman they meet in the grounds of an old castle in south-west England. Much doesn’t add up about the ethereal Rose, nor her sisters, stern Adelaide and disconsolate Emily, w ...more
Megan
Oct 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This ghost story is so well written, I would be lulled into a sense of charm and mild curiosity before being startled with such creepiness!! Then lulled again, and creeped out again! Ellen lured me through the story like Rose lures into her garden. There were plenty of moments that had me cringing in fear as well! This is the kind of ghost story I can read, with a touch of creepiness throughout rather than constant fear and disturbing actions.

The pacing was great. The story moves back and forth
Charles
Oct 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this ghost story set in the past and the present. An exciting read.
Hetal  G
Sep 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
My opinion is to read these fantastic books.
Heather W
May 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Die for Love is an intriguing read that shifts between the past and the present. This book is interesting and engages the reader as the time periods come together with mystery, suspense, ghosts, and romance.

Donna White
Feb 17, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Touches of the Victorian era surrounding a Norman-style castle made the perfect backdrop for this mystery. The author writes in a calm style that soothes you into relative safety until someone goes missing. It is rare that I do not have the discipline to go to bed on time, but I could not put this book down!
Nicole Miller
Mar 28, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I have ever read. It has a great story line, well written and keeps you in suspense.
Kara Harte (KattitudeReads)
Jan 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing
𝘋𝘪𝘦 𝘍𝘰𝘳 𝘓𝘰𝘷𝘦 by Ellen Read was an absolutely vivid, immersive experience. With stunning prose and imagery, Ellen swept me away, absolutely charmed me, and left me unsettled and flabbergasted when least expected in the best way. 𝘋𝘪𝘦 𝘍𝘰𝘳 𝘓𝘰𝘷𝘦 was original and spellbinding, and I highly recommend it!
Tracy Thompson
Feb 03, 2022 rated it it was amazing
What a gem of a read!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed Die For Love!!! From the first chapter, I was fascinated - spellbound. This incredible story shifts back and forth between past events and current events. It follows two men's stories—Edward, a painter in the 1930s who mysteriously disappears and William, a modern-day photographer, searches to find out what happened to his great-great-uncle (Edward).
This story absolutely charmed me. And I can say I was not disappointed. I was so absorbed in the story
Brian O'Hare
Aug 03, 2022
Allyson G
Aug 04, 2022

• Priory
  • Meet Me in London (Meet Me, #1)
  • The Wolf in Winter (The Trystan Trilogy #1)
  • On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8)
  • A Spell of Rowans
  • The Rakehell of Roth (Everleigh Sisters, #2)
  • The Wise One (The Scottish Scrolls, 1)
  • The Temporary Roomie (It Happened in Nashville, #2)
  • Isn't It Bromantic? (Bromance Book Club, #4)
  • Pumpkin Spice Pie-Jinks: Pumpkins & Shades
  • Magical Midlife Meeting (Leveling Up #5)
  • The Duke's Virgin Sister (Those Kilted Bastards, #1)
  • House of Diamonds (House of Jewels, #1)
  • Death Below Stairs (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #1)
  • Seven-Year Witch (Witch Way Librarian Mysteries, #2)
  • My Thanksgiving Faux Paw (Peculiar Mysteries #5.5)
  • Turkey Basted to Death (The Cast Iron Skillet Mystery Series A Holiday Novella 2.5)
Ellen Read is the author of The Dragon Sleeps, The Inca's Curse, The Amber Trap & The Feathered Nest - historical mystery romance novels, and Love The Gift - an eBook Novella, a time slip romance, a story to heal grief. Also When Jacarandas Bloom, a novella, a romance with a twist. Also Due For Love - a ghost story.

Ellen was born in Townsville, Queensland in Australia. She has always enjoyed readi

News & Interviews

The college campus has been a popular setting for books since the days of ancient Greece. In fact, Aristotle once wrote a dark academic...
“The castle rose above the early morning mist like a ship sailing majestically on a grey sea.” 0 likes