Start by marking “The Hobbit” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Hobbit

(Middle-Earth Universe)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  2,422,631 Ratings  ·  41,337 Reviews

Written for J.R.R. Tolkien’s own children, The Hobbit met with instant critical acclaim when it was first published in 1937. Now
Published August 15th 2002 by Houghton Mifflin (first published September 21st 1937)

To ask other readers questions about The Hobbit, please sign up.
Michael The Hobbit can be sort of a "gateway" book, as it provides Tolkien's amazing fantasy and storytelling but without the (sometimes intimidating) detail…moreThe Hobbit can be sort of a "gateway" book, as it provides Tolkien's amazing fantasy and storytelling but without the (sometimes intimidating) detail and complexity of LOTR. The Hobbit will introduce Tolkien's world and mythology, so you will have some context when you read LOTR.(less)
Fatima I was extremely dissapointed. Watching the battle of five armies had me thinkin "what is goin on" throughout the whole movie. I think Del Toro being…moreI was extremely dissapointed. Watching the battle of five armies had me thinkin "what is goin on" throughout the whole movie. I think Del Toro being envolved in the first place is what actually screwed up the hobbit movies, and after he ran off, Jackson had no time to clean up his mess.

Heres a link to peter jackson saying he winged it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20vA9...

Yet I still Blame peter jackson for all the senseless madness that was goin on that was not related to the story at all, and the abused CGI threw me off a cliff, not to mention very poor dialogue writing. The most and only 2 incredible and memorable scenes in all the Hobbit movies in my opinion, are riddles in the dark with bilbo and Gollum, and Smaug vs Bilbo conversation at erebor, the rest lost my interest.
(less)

Matt
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children, parents, all those that stay children in their hearts
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
Some books are almost impossible to review. If a book is bad, how easily can we dwell on its flaws! But if the book is good, how do you give any recommendation that is equal the book? Unless you are an author of equal worth to the one whose work you review, what powers of prose and observation are you likely to have to fitly adorn the work?

'The Hobbit' is at one level simply a charming adventure story, perhaps one of the most charming and most adventurous ever told. There, see how simple that w
Inge
Dear Tolkien fans: please don't leave a comment if you're going to spew hatred - I'll just delete it. I'm glad you enjoy Tolkien's work, but I am actually allowed to feel this way, no matter how scandalous you find that idea. Thank you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

To be fair, it really is a cool story. Mr Tolkien’s imagination is endless and I respect him immensely for that. To be able to conjure a whole new, magical world and all these creatures in it.. absolutely amazing. But it is also a very long-winded story and I fou
Scott
There are some days when I actually think that the humble Hobbit is superior to it's bohemoth brother, The Lord of the Rings . It's a much tighter story, and Bilbo is a much more appeal character than is Frodo. I also just love this poem, from The Hobbit

Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In
Will Byrnes
In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.
Books exist in time and place and our experience of them is affected by the specific time and place in which we encounter them. Sometimes an uplifting or inspiring book can change the path of a life that has wandered onto a wrong course. Sometimes a book, discovered early on, can form part of the foundation of who we are. Or, discovered late, can offer insight into the journey we have taken to date. Sometimes a book is just a book. But not The Hobbi
Jason Koivu
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
From a hole in the ground came one of my favorite characters of all time, the very reluctant and unassuming hero, Bilbo Baggins.

As a child, The Hobbit sparked my young imagination, causing wonderful daydreams and horrible nightmares. As a teen, the book made me want to become a writer of fantastical tales...or go shoeless, live in a hole and smoke a pipe. As an adult, Tolkien's novel maintains within me a link to my childhood, safekeeping cherished memories and evoking everlasting emotions.

The
Ben Alderson
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
JUST AMAZING! FUN AND BEAUTIFUL ADVENTURE!
I HAD TO READ THE END AGAIN BECAUSE OF MY LOVE
how they made three films out of this impresses me!
Hannah Greendale

Were it not for the irresistible allure of The Fellowship of the Ring, I'd start reading this book all over again right now. <3

Bookdragon Sean
To call this the epitome in which all high fantasy should be judged does not quite suffice; this is simply one of the best books that has ever been written or will ever be written. The Hobbit defines the high fantasy genre along with its sequel, of course, and has been an inspiration to countless authors and readers alike. Tolkien, quite literally, kick started a genre that would eventually capture the hearts of thousands of people. He changed the literary world. He made fantasy real.

The best f
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I probably won't write a full review here, as this is just a reread for me, but I found this just as enchanting as the first time I read it. While I still like this one only SLIGHTLY less than The Lord of the Rings, I'm glad I took the opportunity to read this first before diving into a reread of LOTR this year. When I first read Tolkien's books about 15 years ago I didn't experience The Hobbit until I finished LOTR, so it gave me the feeling of being able to read this one as an introduction to ...more
Joe
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book?
Precious.
Traveller
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Maybe one day soon I'll write a proper review of The Hobbit.

In the meantime, I want to say this:
If you are a child, you need to read this for Gollum's riddles.

If you are an adult, you need to read this book to children (if you don't have children, rent borrow some) for at least one opportunity to roleplay Gollum.

Becuz GOLLUM ROOOLZ!!!!!

See here, he even won an award!!
(PS. Since Gollum features so strongly in this review, here is an interesting video on the acting and CGI genius that went
Ana
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, tolkien, fantasy
lord_of_the_rings_hobbiton

The book is almost always better than the movie, and The Hobbit is the prime example of this sentiment.

I have spoken.

Michael Finocchiaro
What makes The Hobbit such a seminal work in the fantasy genre? Is it the nine hours of over-budget, sensorially explosive movies by Peter Jackson? Nope. Is it a complex tale of multiple human kingdoms slaughtering each other for an Iron Throne with buckets of blood and guts and plenty of sex? Nope. Is it simply wonderful writing. As simple and boring as that. Does that mean that I was incredibly disappointed in the movie adaptation (not to say abortion)? Yep. Does that mean I don't love Game of ...more
Fares
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Gosh, that last chapter. Sigh.
And you can start celebrating the updates are over. Now let's start LotR :)

Buddy read with Jen the unexpected party
Get it? the unexpected party, as in chapter one's title. Oh I'm hilarious.

----------------------------------------------------
OK let’s do this.
But first let’s talk about something totally unrelated but totally is.

So I don’t know about you guys but when I watch a sporting event, no matter what it is, and I see these world class athletes doing their thing
Luffy
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Now I don't remember all the names of those 13 dwarfs, but still I can legitimately say I enjoyed the book. The Hobbit (the version rewritten by Tolkien) is sophisticated enough to please adults and children alike.

Initially, nobody knew how Gollum looked like. Seriously, just take a look at the various covers of the book and you'll see diverse bodies as Gollum. The Ring acquired by Bilbo is so quaint, so practical.

Tolkien weaved his magic here and delivered a timeless classic. The adventures of
Ahmad Sharabiani
610. The Hobbit = There and Back Again, J.R.R. Tolkien
The Hobbit, or There and Back Again is a children's fantasy novel by English author J. R. R. Tolkien. It was published on 21 September 1937 to wide critical acclaim, being nominated for the Carnegie Medal and awarded a prize from the New York Herald Tribune for best juvenile fiction. The book remains popular and is recognized as a classic in children's literature.
عنوان: هابیت - آنجا و بازگشت دوباره؛ جی.آر.آر. تالکین؛ ادبیات فانتزی انگلستان بر
Lyn
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.”

So begins J.R.R. Tolkien’s love letter to fantasy literature.

A reader to this timeless classic will first notice that this is a first person narration, the reader hears Tolkien’s voice as he narrates the tale of Bilbo Baggins, Belladonna Took’s odd so
Manny
Dec 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love the feeling of connectedness you get when you've wondered about something for a long time, and finally discover the answer. I had a great example of that yesterday. As I said in my review of The Lord of the Rings, for me Tolkien is all about language. I must have read The Hobbit when I was about 8, and even at that age I was fascinated by his made-up names. They sort of made sense, but not quite.

Then, when I was 21, I learned Swedish, and suddenly there were many things in Middle Earth th
Alejandro
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where there's life there's hope.

I've been thinking a lot of how many stars giving to the book, since there were parts that I loved a lot, but there were others that I found tedious and even anti-climatic, but in respect to this great writer, J.R.R. Tolkien, I think that the book deserves at least 4-stars rating with which I feel easy since I am not giving it a full rating but also I am not punishing it for things that maybe a future re-reading will solve.

In a hole in the ground there lived a
Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー)
Buddy read with Fares and I could not be more excited!

Edit after finishing: So I'm bawling right now. Every time I have to say goodbye, I just can't bear it. Full review to come.
Image result for last goodbye billy boyd gif

Image result for last goodbye billy boyd gif

Image result for in a hole in the ground

Since this is a buddy read with the awesome Fares , my review will be chapter by chapter, accompanied by appropriate gifs and quotes every two days.

Chapter 1: An Unexpected Party. This is giving me such nostalgia!

Underrated quote: The hobbit was a very well-to-do hobbit, and his name was Baggins. The Bagginses have live
Zoë
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I discussed this novel with my book club, Austentatious, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vvG4...
Mohammed Arabey
But.. The Oscar Goes to.. J.R.R. Tolkien for BEST STORYTELLER
فعلا لعل اكثر ما اعجبني في رحلتي مع الهوبيت ..تلك الرحله غير المتوقعه لي
هو اسلوب روايه جي ار ار تولكين للقصه
فله اسلوب مميز بالفعل في الحكي, كانه يروي وهو يجلس معك أنت شخصيا
الهــوبيت هي حجر الاساس والبدايه في واحده من اهم الروايات في العالم "سلسله ملك الخواتم" "وكانت السلسله الاعلي مبيعات حتي اطاحت بها روايه الساحره الانجليزيه جي كي رولينج عن قصه حياه هاري
Ryan
Unpopular opinion time: I don't like The Hobbit.

description

Before all of you start hating me forever, please, hear me out. I truly respect J. R.R Tolkien. If I'm not mistaken, this was one of the first really popular fantasy books ever written. And fantasy just happens to be my favourite genre. So you can see why I really wanted to like this book. I wanted to like it so much, in fact, that I have tried to read it three times now. But each time, I have had to DNF it.

I love The Lord of the Rings movies. I l
Julio Genao
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
this is not a review.

this is smack-talk.

me and a buddy saw the first two films in the peter jackson trilogy (for a second time) this weekend. he says he loves actor lee pace just like i do, but that his character, thranduil, was campy as fuck and also what the hell were they even thinking?

to which i reply:

description

y'all know i like 'em long, lean, and unavailable.

aint nobody gon' talk shyt 'bout muh boo.

ACTIVATE MEME BATTURR
Emily May
Dec 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
In certain crowds, my rating and the words I'm about to write (well, type) would probably get me shot. But The Hobbit is still one of the most boring books I have ever read. Tolkien's writing seems so dry and impersonal, though I can't deny he had a lot of fascinating ideas.
Evgeny
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I find it hard to believe there are people who have no clue what the book is about. Still the possibility exists so I will give the high points of the plot. See there once was a hobbit (a race entirely created by Tolkien and endlessly recycled since under name halflings - for copyright reasons) named Bilbo Baggins. Think a humanoid creature of about half of a grown-up adult human height with furry legs who goes barefoot - it is a hobbit.
Hobbit
These guys live underground in holes similar to rabbit's, b
Eryn
3/5

I'm definitely glad I gave this a fourth chance (lol). There's no way this is a 1 star novel like I previously rated it; however, there's no way it's five stars either.

When I started my fourth "re-read," I could immediately tell I was going to enjoy the story more this time than I had previously. The writing grabbed me and I wanted to know where the journey would go... It was all great.

Somewhere in the middle I started getting tired of the whole "journey" thing. The writing never wavered, but
seak
Dec 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to seak by: Mrs. Burrows, my 8th Grade English Teacher
Amazing.

-----------------
The above was my first review of this and really summed things up quite succinctly. Below is actually a review of the first of the trilogy of movies following The Hobbit (kinda).
-----------------

There have been lots of thoughts on this movie already, but I felt I needed to add my two cents, because, well, lots of people are just plain wrong.

Okay, maybe people have good reason to be disappointed with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, but I wanted to tell you why you shou
Barry Pierce
I really hate fantasy. However I do consider myself a "reader". Therefore I feel obliged to read the works of Tolkien cos well... he's a pretty major name in 20th-century English literature. *sighs* The things I do for the love of books.

I was apprehensive when I started this. I was introduced to hobbits and dwarves and wizards and I very nearly quit on page 16. However I decided to continue with one thought circling in my head, "it's just a bit of fun". Whenever I came across a passage with trol
LHS_Saucey Kids : The Hobbit 1 1 Nov 16, 2018 08:42AM
Books & Coffee Bo...: October 2018: The Hobbit 21 20 Nov 10, 2018 03:55AM
Ms H 8.4 Reading ...: Hobbit - Chapter 1 Question 1 6 Sep 11, 2018 03:07PM
/r/Fantasy Discus...: May 2018: The Hobbit 1 4 Sep 09, 2018 12:09AM
  • Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2)
  • Lord of Emperors (The Sarantine Mosaic, #2)
  • Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • The Guns of Avalon (The Chronicles of Amber #2)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • The Druid of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #2)
  • The Mystery Knight (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #3)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Grey King (The Dark Is Rising, #4)
  • Foxmask (Saga of the Light Isles, #2)
  • The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2)
  • The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)
  • The Mirror of Her Dreams (Mordant's Need, #1)
  • A Tolkien Bestiary
  • Mountain of Black Glass (Otherland, #3)
  • Siege of Darkness (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #9)
  • The Endless Knot (The Song of Albion, #3)
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lang

Middle-Earth Universe (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Silmarillion (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth
  • The Children of Húrin
  • Beren and Lúthien
  • The Fall of Gondolin (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part One (The History of Middle-Earth, #1)
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two (The History of Middle-Earth, #2)
311 trivia questions
24 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?” 3838 likes
“There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.” 2155 likes