Start by marking “Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months” as Want to Read:
Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months

Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months

(Nutshell Library)

Maurice Sendak, the Caldecott Medal-winning creator of the iconic Where the Wild Things Are, created a warmly loved classic book of months, in verse, with Chicken Soup with Rice.

This rhyming book cleverly uses a little boy’s love for soup to teach children the months of the year and features Sendak’s imaginative drawings and lyrical verses.

Who says you can only slurp chick
Published March 15th 1991 by HarperCollins (first published 1962)

Start your review of Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months
Calista
I love rhyming books. They make me happy. There is something magic that happens when the words simply fit together.

This simple book made me smile. Each month talks about how to eat your Chicken soup with rice. There is a beautiful illustration with it. This book is about JOY, that's what it is to do is bring joy to the world and I have to say, it gave me a little. Thank you Maurice!

I've got to go, my Chicken soup with Rice is ready!
Sandra
reading chicken soup
with rice.
Ronyell
Chicken

I have first heard about “Chicken Soup with Rice” on a Weston Woods video where Carole King sings the song “Chicken Soup with Rice” on “Really Rosie.” “Chicken Soup with Rice” is a book about the months of the year by Maurice Sendak that details the months of the year in a poetic way and will surely be an instant favorite for many children who love learning about the months of the year!

I have always loved Carole King’s version of this classic book by Maurice Sendak and when I finally read this
Ann-Marie
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a favorite! I kept this in my babysitter's toolbag for years. In high school and college I amazed my friends by being able to recite the entire story from memory.
Emmeline Guest
Oct 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
As much as I love (adore, think the world of) Where the Wild Things Are, this is my favorite Maurice Sendak book. I loved it when I was little. I love it now. I love reading it to my son when he is home sick in bed (and requesting nothing but chicken soup with rice).

I love it :)
Kathy Davie
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fantasy
A standalone story in the Nutshell Library series for children that has fun exploring seasonal expectations of each month of the year.

My Take
The illustrations are darling — y'all'll get a kick out of Sendak's choices for each month — with a common color theme of blues and yellow. I can't decide if they're engraving-like images with watercolors or if Sendak used aquarelles.

The chapters are titled with the month and a seasonally changing blue, green-and-yellow and yellow background encased in an e
Rand
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
The edition I read, twice, was a tiny book. It is a wonder how an entire year can fit inside the palm of one's hand and a soup based upon two key ingredients.

As a system of verse, Sendak's treatise presents an important tool for the developing mind/body to learn how to change with the seasons yet remain true to the essentia of homespun nourishment via tried-and-true ingredients. For some that may seem a little wild, but, I think I must go check on my chicken and rice, now.
Jon Nakapalau
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My mom would make me chicken soup with rice and I would read this book...I always remember this book when fall turns into winter because that was the time chicken soup with rice would help keep colds at bay.
Sylvester
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
5* art
4* rhyme

The repetition in the poems is so satisfying, so inevitable and enjoyable - Sendak is a master.
Laken Doom
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
Chicken soup with rice: A book of months was written and illustrated by Maurice Sendak. This books follows his typical ways at witty and some what abnormal humor. The book has a new rhyme for every month ending in "Chicken soup with rice". Each month has a title saying its name and also has an illustration to go along with the rhyme on each page. My favorite month inside the book was July, it read: "In July I'll take a peep into the cool and fishy deep where chicken soup is selling cheap. Sellin ...more
Tressa
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I never read this book as a child, but a children's librarian recommended it to me when I was teaching my son about the months of the year. I took to it immediately and loved reading it aloud to my 5 year old.

While reading it he told me he already knew the February rhyme, and I was confused about this since it was the first time I read it to him. At a school open house months later, he showed me a huge flip poster with the Chicken Soup with Rice monthly rhymes written on it. It's how they were
Stephanie
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A classic book of months. I love it... the illustrations, the rhymes, the repetition... it's all so fun! It was short enough to keep Caleb's attention now (7.5 months), but will also be great for him when he's older and learning about the months and seasons of the year.
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

My fondest memory of Chicken Soup with Rice comes from my first grade classroom. My teacher, Mrs. Decker, would copy the poem for each month onto big easel paper and we would all read it together as a class. We also listened to the Carole King recording of the song so many times, that even today, I have it memorized.

The book takes us through the entire year using various references and analogies to chicken soup. In January, the boy in the sto
Rosalinda
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Main Character/s: A Young Boy
Setting: Each month has a new setting
POV: N/A

Summary: This book is great for introducing the months of the year to young students. Each month has its own special rhyme that always ends with chicken soup with rice. The words used in each rhyme create great visuals for young readers. The visuals and aided illustrations for each rhyme helps the readers follow along. The title of each rhyme is the name of the month. Visually seeing the name of the month and having a rhy
Andrea
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's hard to review this book with any amount of objectivity, since every time I so much as look at the cover, I hear my own five-year-old voice chanting "Whoopee once, whoopee twice, WHOOPEE CHICKEN SOUP WITH RICE!". But I'll try.

A charming children's book, perfect for small children who like poetry with a strong rhythm or beat. It taught me my months, it taught me the basic pattern of the weather and the holidays, and it left me with an unresolved obsession to find out what sort of magic chick
Holly Crepps
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I really loved this book. It not only has a really fluid rhyme in it, but it also helps to teach about the months. This book is about a little boy who shares his experiences with Chicken Soup and Rice in every month of the year. The rhymes are easy to follow, and would help to keep young children's attention. The illustrations of this book are wonderful, too. I really liked the one where the wind is eating chicken soup off of the floor in the month of March. I would use this book with a younger ...more
shranicky
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Chicken Soup with Rice is a book of poems about a guy who likes to eat chicken soup with rice. There are poems for each month of the year and in each poem, there are repetitions of the words “once and twice” and “chicken soup with rice”. It’s a very funny poem book because it’s so random. I think that Sendak did a good job of keeping you interested. It can also help to teach children the months of the year and provides the opportunity to do several different activities with it. I also really lov ...more
Emilia
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edsl-520
Sendak, Maurice. Chicken Soup with Rice; A Book of Months. [New York]: Harper & Row, 1962.

*Predictable

-This is a collection of poems about each month and eating chicken soup with rice during those months.

Themes
-Months of the year

Activities to do with children
-Use this to reinforce the months of the year. Have students predict what month comes next and some of the things that may be included in the poem about that month
-Have pairs of students create a page for a month of the calendar. Have them
Brad
I love simple and fun, and what could be more simple than Maurice Sendak's calendar of chicken soup love, or more fun than Chicken Soup With Rice's celebration of imagination?

Naked boys In the Night Kitchen with Oliver Hardy, I suppose ;)
Terri
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I gave Sendak's tiny Nutshell Library to my daughter when she was about three. We read those delightful concept books countless times. Then we discovered the Weston Woods video Really Rosie which integrated an original storyline about a young diva with Sendak's books and music by the incomparable Carole King. Jackpot! Ever since, "Chicken Soup with Rice," "Pierre," and "One Was Johnny" sing in my mind. What better way to learn the seasons and months than by reading, singing, and eating Chicken S ...more
Carole King's "Really Rosie" album was my jam in the early eighties. My Cool Aunt Edie gave me the record (yes, the record!) and I wore that sucker out. Only later did I discover the Nutshell Library and Maurice Sendak's genius little books that inspired "Really Rosie.". And what should come across my desk today but "Chicken Soup with Rice" taking me back to the days of Cabbage Patch Kids and Strawberry Shortcake (the real one, not the tween) and rocking out to "Alligators All Around" and "Pierr ...more
Rukia Rogers
Aug 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm already a fan of Sendak's work but this is amongst my favorite! He once again captures the reader's imagination in with two things that I love;food and humorous rhymes.The book takes you through the months and season of the year with a young man's simple request ,chicken soup with rice! The book is also wonderful to sing, check out Carole King's singing the words from the book and join in! Fun,fun fun!

Rebecca
This is one of my all-time favorite books. I've loved it since I was very young. The silly poems and illustrations were perfect for my slightly twisted personality. I also like to sing along to the poems. It was a frequent check-out from DuVall's school library.

This is a fun read aloud for one on one sharing. The small format makes it difficult to share with a larger group. If you can find a "big book" format, it would be great storytime book.
Gaby Roman
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, numbers, month
I really enjoyed reading this story. I would use it in my classroom to introduce months of the year. My students could make their own calendar and keep it for themselves or give to someone as a gift. I would even use the calendar to talk about what type of pictures we would draw for each month and how our seasons during the year. I could use this book to discuss the amount of days we have in each month as well.
Yessenia
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was really cute. It goes through the twelve months of the year while describing what happens to the chicken soup with rice. The pictures are also very cute and go somewhat along with the words. I would recommend this book for anyone trying to teach the months of the year. The words are all very descriptive and help visualize what is happening to the soup. The soup is affected by the weather in each month. I like how it's a simple book but it can teach students new words.
Slytano
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Maurice Sendak LOVES chicken soup with rice. He eats it every month. I'm not kidding. Every page he pronounces his affection for chicken soup with rice.

This is a FANTASTIC read-aloud. The only problem is that my hands are bigger than this tiny book. I don't know if I just got a really small copy, but it is just too small. I can't read this to more than one person at a time.

I love this book.
Dana Snyder
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
- each rhyme creates great visuals for young readers
- title of each rhyme is the name of the month. Visually seeing the name of the month and having a rhyme to remember that month will aid all young students to learn about the months of the year.
Jim Erekson
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can't say how many times I went back to this book over the years. I know I looked at it a lot even when I was a teen, and then when I was in grad school I read it countless times with Bela and the kids out at Dimondale. Sendak and Gorey are close cousins in terms of psychologically compelling illustrations, ones that stand on their own and tell a thoroughly different story than the words alone could do--not only a complementary match, but also with some stark counterpoint to the words.
Angie Schaefer Ellefson
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, picture-book, poetry
Maurice Sendak's book of monthly poems would make the perfect addition to a daily calendar routine. The poems not only reinforce phonological awareness, but can also build fluency through repeated readings. By revealing only one poem each month, students remain engaged as they anticipate and look forward to reading next month's poem. Students could also make predictions about what next month's poem will be about.
Jen
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
This short little read has a rhythmic flow that takes the reader through all the months of the year. Ultimately, it makes you want to head to the kitchen to make chicken soup with rice! I would have given this book 5 starts, but on th page for Nov, it talks about ghosts and goblins and I really don't want to encourage a discussion on such things with Tate, so perhaps this is for an older reader.

• Days with Frog and Toad (Frog and Toad, #4)
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV
  • Bread and Jam for Frances
  • Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
  • I Was So Mad (A Golden Look-Look Book)
  • Where's Waldo? The Fantastic Journey
  • Good Work, Amelia Bedelia
  • The Five Chinese Brothers
  • Frédéric
  • The Magic School Bus Inside the Earth
  • There's a Nightmare in My Closet
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • Are You My Mother?
  • The Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #1)
  • Little Bear's Visit (Little Bear, #4)
  • Tikki Tikki Tembo
  • Blueberries for Sal
  • Millions of Cats
Maurice Bernard Sendak was an American writer and illustrator of children's literature who is best known for his book Where the Wild Things Are, published in 1963. An elementary school (from kindergarten to grade five) in North Hollywood, California is named in his honor.

Sendak was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Polish-Jewish immigrant parents, and decided to become an illustrator after viewing Wa

Nutshell Library (4 books)
  • Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue