Start by marking “The Nightingale and the Rose” as Want to Read:
The Nightingale and the Rose

Read Book

The Nightingale and the Rose

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  5,032 Ratings  ·  374 Reviews
An allegorical fable of love, sacrifice and selfishness. As with all of Wilde's short stories it embodies strong moral values and is told with an effervescence akin to that of the 1001 nights.

It is the tale of a lovestruck student who must provide his lover with a red rose in order to win her heart. A nightingale overhearing his lament from a solitary oak tree is filled w
Published September 1st 2006 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about The Nightingale and the Rose, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Linda
This is the saddest, most tragic story I've ever read. It starts out as a fairytale and you think it will end well. Love is described as the most beautiful thing in the world, by the nightingale outside the student's window.

Mohsin Maqbool
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
description
A magnificent illustration of "The Nightingale and the Rose" by Del Kathryn Barton and Brendan Fletcher.

OSCAR Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde (October 16, 1854 – November 30, 1900) was an Irish playwright, novelist, poet, and short story writer. He was known for his barbed wit and was one of the most successful playwrights of late Victorian London.

description
A poster for the stage production of "The Nightingale and the Rose" at the Bristol Museum in February 2014.

Wilde’s “The Nightingale and the Rose” is a
Brian
You got me you little shit.

My review stuck in my mind as I read, short and (to me at least) funny: Dudes, if you're trying to get back your wife or looking for a girl, you need to read this.

Then Oscar started to get to me. I melted. I remembered the times before reality, cynicism and societal manliness invaded my romantic, child-like heart. My eyes burned with the production of moistness.

I opened to Oscar. He said, "Relax. Trust me. Look deep inside. Remember. Don't be afraid of the ideologies o
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Nightingale and The Rose is a heartbreaking story about the nature of love and sacrifice. At the beginning of the story, we are given the impression that the love between the student and the girl is a true love. Later, we are struck with the truth. Their love turns out to be a shallow one based on materialistic happiness. At the end the student gives up on his love because it was not true in the first place.

Sumati
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This story should be said orally or even better if presented as a musical. I really liked the way this story was told. A young lad, deeply in love with a girl who promised him a dance only if he brought a red rose for her, is in agony over not having a rose for his love. This agonizing was heard by a Nightingale who then flew around from tree to tree to find a red rose for the boy’s ‘true love’. She did find a rose but had to sacrifice her the blood from her heart to color it red. Her blood, her ...more
Utkarsh
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If I bring her a red rose she will dance with me till dawn. If I bring her a red rose, I shall hold her in my arms, and she will lean her head upon my shoulder, and her hand will be clasped in mine. But there is no red rose in my garden, so I shall sit lonely, and she will pass me by. She will have no heed of me, and my heart will break.
Shoa Khan
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
“What a silly thing Love is. It is not as useful as Logic, for it does not prove anything, and it is always telling one of things that are not going to happen, and making one believe things that are not true. In fact, it is quite unpractical, and, as in this age to be practical is everything, I shall go back to Philosophy and study Metaphysics.”

The Nightingale and the Rose is a short, tragic, cynical take on love by Oscar Wilde.

#CrazyStupidLove
Jared
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romanticly Involved Couples, Teens
A beautiful tragedy turned black by selfishness, lust, and social prejudices.

Starts out beautiful and majestic then you're like, "What the hell just happened!?".

Sure caught me off guard!

It would be almost comical if Wilde had not raised our expectations so high.

jamie
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Possibly my favorite of Wilde's short stories. I thought the nightingale's description of love was quite lovely:

"for Love is wiser than Philosophy, though he is wise, and mightier than Power, though he is might. Flame-coloured are his wings, and coloured like flame is his body. His lips are sweet as honey, and his breath is like frankincense."

Glire
Lo siento, Mr. Wilde. No eres tú, es mi corazón de mi piedra.
Esraa Aljuburi
Apr 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
“Ah, on what little things does happiness depend! I have read all that the wise men have written, and all the secrets of philosophy are mine, yet for want of a red rose is my life made wretched.”

Oh indeed, I couldn’t agree more with this.

Life and happiness are all about those small tiny things that might passed unnoticed , those that we might think are worthless .

It is a short heartbreaking story about love, friendship and sacrifice.

Worth reading

A_Single_Red_Rose
upload image gif

Haifa
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Sometimes as we read, we come across a word/ a sentence / a passage / a story that skillfully carves its way to our heart. That's exactly what this short story did to me. (I'm too overwhelmed to put my thoughts into words)

"...for only a Nightingale's heart's-blood can crimson the heart of a rose."

tyranus
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oscar Wilde'ın nerdeyse tüm masallarında hayatı pahasına fedakarlık vardır; üstelik karşılık bulamayan bir fedakarlık. Bu masalında da canını bir kırmızı gül için feda eden bülbülün öyküsü var. İyi okumalar...
Fer
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Hace poco que leí la recopilación de los cuentos de Oscar Wilde para mi clase de Literatura y recuerdo que de entre todos los cuentos este fue mi favorito.
Shira
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
מתחיל כאגדה לילדים (וגם הספר נראה כמו ספר ילדים), אך מהר מאד מקבל תפנית אפלה וסופו טראגי.
שתי הדמויות האנושיות היחידות מוצגות כאנוכיות ושטחיות. לעומתם, הזמיר הוא הדמות היחידה בעלת הלב הטהור. הוא נכון להקריב את עצמו למען האהבה ואף עושה זאת, אך ההקרבה שלו נעשית לחינם ואפילו לא מקבלת הכרה. מאף אחד.
אם הסטודנט מוצג באופן נלעג, הרי ש"אהובתו" מוצגת באופן גרוע אף יותר (אני לא חושבת שקיימת דמות נשית הגונה באף אחת מיצירותיו של ויילד). כשהיא דוחה את השושנה של הסטודנט לטובת אבני החן שקיבלה ממחזר אחר, היא בעצ
Subhojit
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the saddest and most touching short stories I ever read. I had this in my class 8 text and my respect for Wilde grew exponentially thereafter. A master storyteller he subtlety delivers the final blow... a good bird's supreme sacrifice comes to naught... . The nightingale is a dear. She somehow manages to understand the subtle nuances of love when we humans fail miserably. She is doubtless one of my favourite non-human characters in any piece I've ever read. Period.
Lyra  Goga
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It deeply touched my heart. I got all teary reading it. I adored it!! From now on this is my all time favorite short story.

"I will build it out of music by moonlight, and stain it with my own heart's-blood. All that I ask of you in return is that you will be a true lover, for Love is wiser than Philosophy, though she is wise, and mightier than Power, though he is mighty."
Tracey
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
So eloquent and heartfelt, I couldn’t help but have a tear in my eye
Oscar Wilde can truly write. And this confirms it.

How shallow we are.

Yasir Shaw
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
"All that I ask of you in return is that you will be a true lover , for love is wiser than philosophy"
Carlo
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: irish
Beautiful story about vanity, love and sacrifice. I can see parallels with Wilde's personal life in his writing here.
Cami
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think I'm noticing a trend with Oscar Wilde's short stories...they are beautiful and meaningful, yes, and they pull me into the story, into a kind of rhythm with the words, but then they end abruptly and it's somewhat jarring. If I'm reading the story only as it's written, the ending doesn't feel quite as satisfying. But when I look deeper into the meaning and metaphors, I think I understand the lesson Wilde has hidden in the story. This one is a little heart-breaking.
Maricarmen Estrada M
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story, so tender, but heart-breaking. The writing is pure art!

"So the Nightingale pressed closer against the thorn, and the thorn touched her heart, and a fierce pang of pain shot through her. Bitter, bitter was the pain, and wilder and wilder grew her song, for she sang of the Love that is perfected by Death, of the Love that dies not in the tomb."
Steph
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This one at beautiful writing and oh so tragic and
Jojo (The Reading Bee)

Kinda reminded me of The Little Prince.
Naveed Nawaz
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
An Oscar Wilde Classic. Reminded me of The Happy Prince. Just as sad and beautiful.
Rose
May 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Hated this story. I don't care how clever and satirical it's supposed to be, it's ugly and brutal and horrible. Ugly, selfish humans deserve no such sacrifice. We don't know love when we see it and we trample it in the streets every day. This goes with The Giving Tree on the shelf of stories I wish I'd never read.
Haloomi Omar
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Love is bitter "
What a sad story ☹💔
Valentina Sandoval
(nota: 3,5 / 5)
Un libro rápido, triste y real. Uno de mis favoritos cuando pequeña, sin embargo mi modo de ver el mundo ha cambiado desde entonces por lo tanto el modo de leerle ha cambiado a su vez. Pensé que me encantaría tanto como lo hizo hace años, lamentablemente, no fue así, sin embargo no por eso dejó de gustarme.
Crudo y sin miramientos es como le veo, una buena segunda lectura del año.
Jairzinho
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’m not even sure about how many times I’ve had read this book… definitely one of my favorite fairytales I guess this is the one that made me a sucker for beautiful sad stories.
“Be happy, cried the Nightingale, be happy; you shall have your red rose. I will build it out of music by moonlight, and stain it with my own heart's-blood.”
how extra-ordinary and uncommon can true love be? 1 4 Feb 01, 2015 09:49AM
  • The Bet and Other Stories
  • Signs and Symbols (Stories of Vladimir Nabokov)
  • Право на поединок (Волкодав, #2)
  • Annabel Lee
  • Man from the South
  • The Ice Palace
  • Markheim
  • Сказка о рыбаке и рыбке. Сказка о Золотом петушке
  • The Adventure of the Resident Patient (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Fly
  • Burnt Sugar (Firebug, #0.5)
  • God Sees the Truth, but Waits
  • The Child's Story
  • Clifford Gets a Job
  • The Judge's House
  • The Boy Who Cried Wolf
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...

“Be happy, cried the Nightingale, be happy; you shall have your red rose. I will build it out of music by moonlight, and stain it with my own heart's-blood. All that I ask of you in return is that you will be a true lover, for Love is wiser than Philosophy, though she is wise, and mightier than Power, though he is mighty. Flame-coloured are his wings, and coloured like flame is his body. His lips are sweet as honey, and his breath is like frankincense.” 79 likes
“The moon in her chariot of pearl” 75 likes