Start by marking “The Nightingale and the Rose” as Want to Read:
The Nightingale and the Rose

Read Book

The Nightingale and the Rose

An allegorical fable of love, sacrifice and selfishness. As with all of Wilde's short stories it embodies strong moral values and is told with an effervescence akin to that of the 1001 nights.

It is the tale of a lovestruck student who must provide his lover with a red rose in order to win her heart. A nightingale overhearing his lament from a solitary oak tree is filled w
Published September 15th 2006 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about The Nightingale and the Rose, please sign up.
FioBluStarz
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Nightingale and the Rose
Maureen
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Written in 1888, this is Oscar Wilde’s sweet little fairytale about a young lovestruck student, and it conveys beautifully the true meaning of love. It’s astonishing how much emotion he manages to pack into such a short story, it certainly tugs at the heartstrings!
See what you think, it’s free here http://pinkmonkey.com/dl/library1/ros...
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Nightingale and the Rose, Oscar Wilde
A nightingale overhears a student complaining that his professor's daughter will not dance with him, as he is unable to give her a red rose. The nightingale visits all the rose-trees in the garden, and one of the white roses tell her that there's a way to produce a red rose, but only if the nightingale is prepared to sing the sweetest song for the rose all night, and sacrifice her life to do so. Seeing the student in tears, the nightingale carries out th
Linda
This is the saddest, most tragic story I've ever read. It starts out as a fairytale and you think it will end well. Love is described as the most beautiful thing in the world, by the nightingale outside the student's window.

“Be happy, cried the Nightingale, be happy; you shall have your red rose. I will build it out of music by moonlight, and stain it with my own heart's-blood. All that I ask of you in return is that you will be a true lover, for Love is wiser than Philosophy, though she is wise
Kevin Ansbro
A handsome young student is having what we would nowadays term a 'hissy fit' because there isn't a single red rose in his entire garden; he desperately needs some to present to his crush.
"For want of a red rose is my life made wretched?" he wails.
A nightingale watches from above, heartened that it has at last witnessed a true lover. The bird represents one of the few romantics in this cynical world - unlike the lizard, the butterfly and even the whispering daisies - who all think that the young
Kimber Silver
“Surely Love is a wonderful thing. It is more precious than emeralds, and dearer than fine opals.” —Oscar Wilde

Love is a gift that should never be squandered. The Nightingale and the Rose is a beautifully written short story of love and sacrifice that will tug at the heartstrings.

Thanks, Kevin, for sharing another gem of a tale!

It's free to read online Here
NReads
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wilde's stories are so captivating. I am amazed how he managed to include a rollercoaster of emotions in only 12 pages
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brian
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You got me you little shit.

My review stuck in my mind as I read, short and (to me at least) funny: Dudes, if you're trying to get back your wife or looking for a girl, you need to read this.

Then Oscar started to get to me. I melted. I remembered the times before reality, cynicism and societal manliness invaded my romantic, child-like heart. My eyes burned with the production of moistness.

I opened to Oscar. He said, "Relax. Trust me. Look deep inside. Remember. Don't be afraid of the ideologies o
Laysee
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
“...life is very dear to all. It is pleasant to sit in the green wood, and to watch the sun in his chariot of gold, and the moon in her chariot of pearl...Yet love is better than life and what is the heart of a bird compared to the heart of a man?” - Oscar Wilde

The Nightingale and The Rose by Oscar Wilde is a satirical and heart-breaking story about love - the all-consuming passion of which nightingales sing and the self-serving quest of the heart that some humans choose to make of it.

A nightin
Helga
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ah, on what little things does happiness depend!

A fairy tale with a tragic ending.
A poignant and heartbreaking story about sacrificing oneself for an unrequited love.
True love set against greed and cupidity. Which would triumph? Which would be crushed?

Surely love is a wonderful thing. It is more precious than emerald and dearer than fine opals. Pearls and pomegranates cannot buy it, nor is it set forth in the market place. It may not be purchased of the merchants, nor can it be weighed out in th
Mohsin Maqbool
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
description
A magnificent illustration of "The Nightingale and the Rose" by Del Kathryn Barton and Brendan Fletcher.

OSCAR Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde (October 16, 1854 – November 30, 1900) was an Irish playwright, novelist, poet, and short story writer. He was known for his barbed wit and was one of the most successful playwrights of late Victorian London.

description
A poster for the stage production of "The Nightingale and the Rose" at the Bristol Museum in February 2014.

Wilde’s “The Nightingale and the Rose” i
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another beautiful fairytale!

I really liked the messages on love. I didn't know where it was going in the end and I was worried it was going to promote an idea I wasn't too happy about but it switched up the game. We really do need to be careful to only give love to those who truly appreciate us and care. You need to be careful who you give your love to! I think the fairytale did a good job of repeating the message twice, in a subtle way, so it really drives it home.

Maybe greed is going to be a
Chrissie
Here is a free online link to the story: http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-sto...

The story made me think. This is what I want a story to do. It has a message I agree with, and the message is delivered with a subtle touch of humor rather than in a didactic fashion. The prose is pretty, but a bit too pretty for my taste. It reads as a fairy tale and is thus a bit simplistic. I do like the story, but I cannot give it more than three stars.

This is what I think the story says:
(view spoiler)
Krystal
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Krystal by: Jsaa
UM?!

WHY DID I READ THIS.

Humans are STUPID.

So beautiful and elegant. I wasn't sure about it at first but, man, did I end up getting invested in this lil nightingale. Such a sweet soul.

What a heart-wrenching story.
Sara
If anyone knew the risks of loving, it was no doubt Oscar Wilde. He served time in prison for his love,
and his time in prison precipitated his death. The Nightingale and the Rose is one of his fairy tales, of which he wrote a collection.

A story about love and sacrifice and the risk that that sacrifice will be undeserved and unappreciated. The only one in this story who understands love is the nightingale. The bird says, "Yet Love is better than Life, and what is the heart of a bird compared to
Sumati
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This story should be said orally or even better if presented as a musical. I really liked the way this story was told. A young lad, deeply in love with a girl who promised him a dance only if he brought a red rose for her, is in agony over not having a rose for his love. This agonizing was heard by a Nightingale who then flew around from tree to tree to find a red rose for the boy’s ‘true love’. She did find a rose but had to sacrifice her the blood from her heart to color it red. Her blood, her ...more
PattyMacDotComma
This is a little fable, parable, fairytale, what-have-you written by a man who's famous for his wit and wild ways. The writer often quoted as saying: "I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train."

This little story is not that. It's a very short love story where a young student pines for a girl who has said she will dance with him if he gives her a red rose. He dreams that if he dances with her, she will fall in love with him and so on unti
Utkarsh
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If I bring her a red rose she will dance with me till dawn. If I bring her a red rose, I shall hold her in my arms, and she will lean her head upon my shoulder, and her hand will be clasped in mine. But there is no red rose in my garden, so I shall sit lonely, and she will pass me by. She will have no heed of me, and my heart will break.
Shoa Khan
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
“What a silly thing Love is. It is not as useful as Logic, for it does not prove anything, and it is always telling one of things that are not going to happen, and making one believe things that are not true. In fact, it is quite unpractical, and, as in this age to be practical is everything, I shall go back to Philosophy and study Metaphysics.”

The Nightingale and the Rose is a short, tragic, cynical take on love by Oscar Wilde.

#CrazyStupidLove
Asma
Tragic yet beautiful!
Oh the poor nightingale and the wretched, ungrateful humans..

I don't get along with short stories very well but this one was fantastic, I'll give it 5 stars.
Therese
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written short story about the true meaning of love, and those who fail to recognize the gift. A tear jerker, for sure.
Kathrin
I read this short story because it was recommended by a friend and because it still amazes me how few works I read by Oscar Wilde.

'The Nightingale and the Rose' is a fable that comes with a very clear and strong message. I actually read the story once before but wasn't aware of the fact that it is written by Wilde. However, I noticed the familiarity almost right away although it has been years which means the story stayed with me.
I also like the way it was written and believe the prose suits t
- Jared - ₪ Book Nerd ₪
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romanticly Involved Couples, Teens
A beautiful tragedy turned black by selfishness, lust, and social prejudices.

Starts out beautiful and majestic then you're like, "What the hell just happened!?".

Sure caught me off guard!

It would be almost comical if Wilde had not raised our expectations so high.

Vaishali
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: european-fiction
Magnificent and magical, with a horrifying end. Nature's gift - a pure dream given birth through sacrifice - is discarded by human mistrust. Masterfully woven by Mr. Wilde.
lucie
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, in-czech
[audiobook]

Books that rip my heart out are my favorite.
jamie
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Possibly my favorite of Wilde's short stories. I thought the nightingale's description of love was quite lovely:

"for Love is wiser than Philosophy, though he is wise, and mightier than Power, though he is might. Flame-coloured are his wings, and coloured like flame is his body. His lips are sweet as honey, and his breath is like frankincense."

Amy
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fairy-tale
I actually had the entire book of Oscar Wilde Fairy Tales, as I really wanted to read this one. But I didn't care for it. Falls in line with deep discontent if no insight is gained by the end of a story. Disappointed my expectations. That's okay. The book I am reading is fabulous!
Yasir Shaw
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
"All that I ask of you in return is that you will be a true lover , for love is wiser than philosophy"
Haifa Grar / Mercurielle_
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Sometimes as we read, we come across a word/ a sentence / a passage / a story that skillfully carves its way to our heart. That's exactly what this short story did to me. (I'm too overwhelmed to put my thoughts into words)

"...for only a Nightingale's heart's-blood can crimson the heart of a rose."

Zoha
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow.
It was a mixture of beauty and nasty.
I am shooketh.
Play Book Tag: The Nightingale and the Rose 7 17 Jul 13, 2018 06:53PM
how extra-ordinary and uncommon can true love be? 1 6 Feb 01, 2015 09:49AM

• The Birthday of the Infanta (Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde)
  • The Looking Glass
  • A Clean Well Lighted Place
  • Happy Endings
  • The Little Match Girl
  • The Masque of the Red Death
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet, and author of numerous short stories, and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being ...more