Start by marking “Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3)” as Want to Read:
Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3)

Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon #3)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  32,286 Ratings  ·  213 Reviews
In this third book of The Malloreon, Garion, Belgarath and their friends follow the quest begun in Guardians of the West and continued in King of the Murgos. It will lead them further into the dark designs of Zandramas and the strange ways of demons...

The company now knows that Garion's baby son has been kidnapped by Zandramas and is to be used in a terrible ritual which w
Published December 1st 1989 by Corgi (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Demon Lord of Karanda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demon Lord of Karanda

MrsJoseph
Another Malloreon [re]read!

I've read this series so many times that writing reviews for it is beyond "difficult."

I've already mentioned that this series (and the Belgariad before it) has sexism issues.

Demon Lord of Karanda has those issues plus a very basic plot concern that flows through to the rest of the series (and some later books): The Belgarath/Rivan King lineage.

Polgara and Belgarion are descended from Belgarath and his wife, Poledra. When reading The Belgariad and The Malloreon the r
Jane Jago
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hitting up nicely now
Brecht Denijs
Another great addition to the series, not much new to report though that isn't necessarily a bad thing! I will say this: it is incredible how Eddings can surprise you with his characters. You finally meet characters they've been talking about since The Belgariad and they turn out to be nothing like you imagined them. A very enjoyable twist. You have this idea of a fairly standard villain in mind and the next thing you know your hypothesis is completely and unexpectedly blown out of the water. A ...more
Amanda
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eddings. Enough said.

Questing, snarking between male and female characters, adequate fight scenes, full to the brim of nostalgia.
Joanne
Feb 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
Originally published on Once Upon a Bookcase.

David Eddings' Malloreon series gets even more exciting in the third book, Demon Lord of Karanda. This book involves a lot more intrigue and manoeuvring in order for Garion and his companions to get away from Zakath. Zakath and Garion have become friends, and although he's not exactly keeping them prisoner, he's adamant that no-one leave Mal Zeth - as he intends to accompany them - until his armies arrive from Cthol Murgos to deal with the troubles in
Jonel Boyko
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-rlftci-2016
This novel is breathtaking, in a dark sort of way. Eddings is a visually and intellectually descriptive author, appealing to readers on many levels. Different plot lines intricately weave together to form an unforgettable whoel. I love how little tidbits of info appear at the most unique of times, feeding into the story as a whole. The intricacy of the plot was phenomenal.

I enjoyed how Eddings lets you get to know each of the separate peoples and cultures of this world. The in depth introductio
Nov 11, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
And then we have the book where Our Heroes tromp all over the (eastern) continent, killing time until book four.

Just enjoy the witty banter along the way.
Susan
I am writing the same review for the entire Malloreon as it is nearly impossible to pick out each book from the series as if it were a stand alone novel; they all tie together and build on one another.

For me, this series was not as good as the Belgariad. In part, I think, the opinion is a function of the fact that I was several years older reading the Malloreon than reading the Belgariad. However, even as I re-read occasionally as an adult I think the first series was better than the second.

Gene
Matt Braymiller
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-reread
This is a wonderful novel. It brings us half way through the Malloreon cycle and Eddings is still bringing in new story elements. In my opinion, it is between this book and The Diamond Throne as the best novel he ever wrote.

This book gives us a lot of exposure to Beldin, another of my favorite Eddings characters. is own self-deprecating manner and the snark with which he treats the others hides a sea of emotion deep as can be, as shown in the relationship between he and Belgarath. The love those
Andrew Leon
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's great to re-visit the characters from The Belgariad and see them in action again; unfortunately, that's the best thing that can be said about the series. It's not that it's bad; it's a completely enjoyable read. However, Eddings fails to move forward with his writing and, instead, gives us what is essentially the same plot from The Belgariad over again. If you've read The Belgariad and loved it, you should certainly read The Mallorean, as well. If you're hoping for something new, though, mo ...more
Sam
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
As the third in the Malloreon series this one is packed with action, from one on one fights to all out battles with an added dose of desperation as Zandramas uses Garion's son to control both him and Ce'nedra making their actions unpredictable and dangerous. If this isn't enough there is of course the bigger story that all the world could be destroyed if the wrong decisions are made and the wrong action taken. But worry not, Polgara, Belgarath and Silk are on hand to lighten the mood with their ...more
Mollie Clarke
The start of this book leads to more shocking changes in characters, however this change appears less genuine. The book then leads away from said character into yet more interesting developments. The ending of this book has to be one the best so far, with a much talked about character making a very exciting entrance. I look forward to reading what is too come with all the new characters firmly met in this book.
Hannah
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, fantasy
Amazing, fast-paced read that you just can't bring yourself to put down. Hands down my favourite in the wonderful Malloreon series. The supporting cast are, as usual, absolutely hilarious, and the rush to save Geran becomes increasingly tense and gripping with the threat posed by the demons and the plague. Zakath, despite his flaws, is irresistably charming, and the grudging respect and friendship developing between him and Garion is one of the biggest highlights of the novel.
Veronica
This book dragged a bit for me -- not sure if it's actually any worse in quality than any other book in the series or I'm just getting a bit tired of the repetition -- but it gets to where it's going in the end. Several of the climactic scenes are very satisfying. (Honestly I love every single Poledra cameo and would forgive a lot for her appearances. And I love Vella.)
Vinay Keerthi
This was rather slow. Or it could be the fact that. I've been busy. I like the fact that I guessed Beldin was in the book. I like guessing things in fantasy novels. That's why they're fun. Yet, this was rather boring.
Dr M
Aug 01, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
For notes and review, see Guardians of the West (The Malloreon, Book 1).
Shannon
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Like all of the other Belgaraid and Mallorean books, this book was fantastic! It's an older series and I will admit that I found this through my mom, but hey older books are just as good as newer ones. I'm not going to spoil anything for you guys but I will one hundred percent give this five stars. I would also recommend it to every one
Elizabeth Streten
A truly wonderful series that is highly addictive. I couldn't put it down until all 10 books were read!
Megan
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book of the Malloreon continues the journey of Garion and his family in hot pursuit of Zandramas and his son, Geran. I absolutely adore the personalities of all of the characters and the humor David Eddings has woven is has me laughing at times.
Jacob Aitken
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's a lot better than some of the critical reviews suggest. True, there are slow parts, but that's just the ebb and flow of literature. Beldin's showdown at Ashaba is worth the whole book.
David Sarkies
Jul 31, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy the series
Recommended to David by: My auntie
Shelves: fantasy
The series is beginning to slow down here
31 July 2012

In a way it seems that certain series get to a point where they simply have ground to a halt and cannot continue. From what I gathered from reading the reviews of this book it seems that Eddings have reached that point with this book. One of the comments involves them spending something like 200 odd pages simply talking about religion and philosophy and the rest of the book has them fighting, and defeating, a horde of demons. It is funny that
Brian
This book is the third of 'The Mallorean' series, a sequel to Eddings' 'Belgariad' series, and as such includes all the major characters of that previous series albeit several years later, plus several new ones.

The plotline is surpringsly similar to the first series: something important has been stolen and Garion and his friends must traverse the world to recover it lest the world be destroyed.

In this case the important thing is Garion's new-born son, who has been abducted by a Grolim preistess
Nathan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In which Garion and the others are made guests of the Emperor of Mallorea, decide to casually call him by his first name, get caught up in a plague situation and ddeal with an outbreak of demons.

It seems that Eddings is trying to convey a more adult environment in this book. There is a sort of romance (with an adult scene no less!), a fairly well-written prelude to the plague sequence and then some nasty goings on when the demons show up on the stage. The characters are said to be "grim faced" f
Andrew Wilson
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

In an adventurous sequel to THE MALLOREAN, David Eddings tells the story of King Garion's abducted infant son and his efforts to save him. Unfortunately, he and his friends are detained by the friendly, but determined Zakath, who refuses to let them leave. As a horde of demons ravage the Cities and a plague lets loose its terrors, Garion has little time left to reach his destination, or the kidnapper wins by default.

### From Library Journal

The trial of the sorceress Zandramas leads Garion and

Strangerealms
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoy reading these books, they have everything that make a good book: great well characterized characters, great story, good dark humor, great witty dialogues, packed with adventure and travels, great created world with each race, etc. Even though one may be scared of the 5 books to read they actually read too fast for my taste. I've heard some complaining that the books are too "light" but I like it this way. It's a serie I love rereading and being thrown back into with these deliciou ...more
Vendela
The plot holes! The plot holes! But enjoyable nonetheless.
Dark-Draco
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As Garion, Belgarath and assorted companions race across Mallorea looking for Garion's son, they get caught up in the general push for power that is splitting the continent. However, they find friends - and relations - in unlikely places and even being caught in a plague ridden city doesn't stop them for long. But as they get closer, Zandramas starts to fight back, setting traps and trying to delay them. The pull of the Sardion also starts to play a part, as the will of the Orb wavers between it ...more
Eric Moreno
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Werehare
Aug 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantatrash
2/10

[Recensione dell'intera serie]
Non è attivamente demente come tanti altri suoi colleghi, e questa è la fine dei suoi pregi. Solito polpettone rimasticato fino alla nausea, straripante di dei e mostri puzzoni e palle di fuoco ed eroi maschi bianchi etero cis come neanche una partita di D&D, tenuto insieme da una prosa goffa e inforigurgitosa (pur se non mancano momenti ironici), zeppa di virgole tra soggetto e verbo. Garion è il classico Gary Stue che insegna a tutti a fare tutto, Ce'Nedra
Marilag
It's clear that The Mallorean takes a more serious tone when it comes to the subject of religion, but Eddings also seems to drench much of it within philosophy. His characters, at least, represent at least one different set of philosophical ideals (though I have now decided that Silk is largely a quaintly sarcastic misanthrope).

Philosophy and religion take too much out of Demon Lord of Karanda, I think, since most of the time the novel was filled with the characters just sitting there discussing
The Nerd Herd: Demon Lord of Karanda 1 4 Feb 22, 2014 01:50PM
  • Rise of a Merchant Prince (The Serpentwar Saga, #2)
  • Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #5)
  • Storm Rising (Valdemar: Mage Storms, #2)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • Test of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #3)
  • Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #3)
  • The Bishop's Heir (Histories of King Kelson, #1)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he achie
More about David Eddings...

The Malloreon (5 books)
  • Guardians of the West (The Malloreon, #1)
  • King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
  • Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon, #4)
  • The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #5)

“I've looked at the world for quite a few years now and I've found that if I don't laugh, I'll probably end up crying."
- Prince Kheldar of Drasnia”
181 likes