Start by marking “The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Societies and Hidden History: The Ultimate A-Z of Ancient Mysteries, Lost Civilizations and Forgotten Wisdom” as Want to Read:

(Element Encyclopedia)

Part of the 'Element Encyclopedia' series, this is an A-Z of alternative history. It helps you discover everything you wanted to know about secret societies like the Freemasons, the historical mystery of Atlantis, why King Arthur, Leonardo da Vinci and Hitler are key figures, plus conspiracy theories, forgotten sciences, and ancient wisdom.
Published August 7th 2006 by HarperElement (first published July 1st 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Societies and Hidden History

Start your review of The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Societies and Hidden History: The Ultimate A-Z of Ancient Mysteries, Lost Civilizations and Forgotten Wisdom
Dan Robert
Nov 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Encyclopaedias of whatever size are not usually read through. And it’s not usually done largely for entertainment. Yet that’s exactly what I did with this one, enjoying myself thoroughly in the process in fits and starts over a year and a half. Coherence, accurate information and cross-referencing are not normally associated with books about secret societies, alternative histories and rejected knowledge, yet John Michael Greer deserves a standing ovation for painstakingly researching his ...more
Charlot
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The only encyclopedia I ever read and it was worth it. Great reference!
Bethanie
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Its not very often i get defeated by a book but this one has defeated me. Ive found it so hard to read. I know it says its an encyclopaedia but i didnt expect it to be so vague and text book like. There wasnt much information at all and there was a lot of repetition. I managed to get about 60% of the way through and i cant read anymore which is sad because i was so looking forward to this
Dori Arbter
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative, concise, & interesting! Great quick reference.
nikki
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction
this series is a good starter pack. it contains brief information on a lot of different things, and is a good place to do beginner reference and expand further from there. i'm also a sucker for the format and style of the books - they just look good, and i can't help but think of how good they'd look together on my bookshelf. as a bibliophile, i really like this series.

obviously, don't consult these for in-depth research. but, again, they're a good place to start broad, wide-ranging
Lionkhan-sama
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. What a superbly comprehensive book. I must commend the author for maintaining a purely objective view throughout, despite himself being involved in secret societies.

Honestly, I must say this book was a shock in many regards. A violent slap in the face, giving a more realistic view of secret societies and almost anything that has to do with them. So much information that I previously took for fact was clarified in a new light. The difference between the theories surrounding secret societies
Jasmin
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as wonderful as the others in the series that I own, I find it quiet helpful and yes while your not suppose to read it cover to cover. I did, as I have the others, and I loved it. Hopefully helpful with many stories yet to come.
Kendra
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Really big, tons of information. It's an encyclopedia, so one really more flips through it, then truly reads it, but it will be well-used in the future on my shelf. I really enjoy the "Element Encyclopedia" series as a whole.
William Hrdina
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great, simple resource
June Savoie
Oct 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Some societies are missing. Not an accurate encyclopedia.
Donna Rochow - Poljarevic
Dec 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
What can I say it's an encyclopedia
Charbel
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative to say the least. This heavy book is a great reference to all secret societies. It is well written and well organized.
Michelle
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Another brilliant book in this series!
Very interesting.
Great for reasearch.
Nawal Al Hosani Scorpion DOADA
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-it
Its a reference as the title sugguests.... & Really detailed and informative and some what inspiring....
Dan Clore
Apr 24, 2014
Ría
Apr 20, 2012
Anoop
rated it did not like it
Oct 25, 2015
Shelby
Nov 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Behold a Pale Horse
  • الحلقة المفقودة والدين المختطف التساؤلات المحرّمة في التاريخين العربي والإسلامي
  • Shinto: The Kami Way
  • Incredibly Strange Films
  • Pranks 2
  • Modern Primitives: An Investigation of Contemporary Adornment and Ritual
  • Pranks
  • J.G. Ballard (RE/Search #8/9)
  • Mason & Dixon
  • The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries
  • Beyond Chaos and Beyond: The Best of Trajectories, Vol. II
  • Burroughs and Friends: Lost Interviews
John Michael Greer is an author of over thirty books and the blogger behind The Archdruid Report. He also serves as Grand Archdruid of the Ancient Order of Druids in America. His work addresses a range of subjects, including climate change, peak oil and the future of industrial society. He lives in Rhode Island with his wife.

Element Encyclopedia (10 books)
  • Element Encyclopedia of the Psychic World
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings from Myth and Magic
  • Element Encyclopedia Of Secret Signs And Symbols The Ultimate A Z Guide From Alchemy To The Zodiac
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Vampires
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Birthdays
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Ghosts & Hauntings : The Ultimate A-Z of Spirits, Mysteries and the Paranormal
  • The Element Encyclopedia of 1000 Spells
  • The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts