Start by marking “Pontoon (Lake Wobegon)” as Want to Read:
Pontoon (Lake Wobegon)

Pontoon (Lake Wobegon)

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  3,076 Ratings  ·  553 Reviews
Garrison Keillor makes his long- awaited return to Lake Wobegon with this "New York Times" bestseller
The first new Lake Wobegon novel in seven years is a cause for celebration. And "Pontoon" is nothing less than a spectacular return to form?replete with a bowling ball-urn, a hot-air balloon, giant duck decoys, a flying Elvis, and, most importantly, Wally's pontoon boat.
Published September 11th 2007 by Viking (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Pontoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pontoon

Paul
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
The author led me through a magical tour of Lake Wobegon with all its colorful townsfolk. It's an enchanting small town where as expected, everyone knows each other. This glorious tale whisked me through the many lives and dramas that had come to play out in amusing fashion. It was an enjoyable ride that left me with a "good feel" in my stomach as only Garrison Keillor could provide. in the end, I was sorry to leave.
Joy H.
This audio-CD of Garrison Keillor's novel, _PONTOON_, is priceless! I'm having such a good time listening to it. Garrison Keillor's dry delivery makes the story so funny that I doubt if reading the book could be more amusing.

Keillor's character development is delightful. His description of each character's outlook on life makes me smile broadly. As I listen, I recognize some of my own ideas about life and that makes it all the more fun.

Although I tend to avoid audio versions because my mind wand
Collin
Dec 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers of light fiction. It's a fast read.
I'm a huge fan of Keillor and his radio show, A Prairie Home Companion. My favorite weekly piece from the show is The News from Lake Wobegon. Keillor has written (I think) a few books on the fictional Minnesota town that lies somewhere between the Twin Cities and St. Cloud.

The stories are reflective, often funny and always very moving. Keillor is a fascinating storyteller, and his voice aches with nostalgia. When my aunt gave me Pontoon, I was excited to read a long story about the town, rather
Andrew
Jun 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A schizophrenic little title, feeling somewhat like it was written by the lovechild of Jack Kerouac and Martha Stewart, Pontoon is a dryly hysterical story from NPR's very own Garrison Keillor. I'd never read anything of his before, only heard his radio show, and was surprised to find how smoothly the transition from one medium to the next went. The writing style is suited to his manner of speech perfectly, and it's easy to hear Garrison filling in for your standard inner narrator without much e ...more
Rachel Bird
Jul 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My dad used to play Garrison Keillor tapes for our family when we went on our car trips. My brother and I loved them--the Living Flag story where everyone in town has to be involved to get it done but then nobody can see it so they have to take turns going up to the top of the hospital to get a look, the over-dramatized story of Jim the Ant, the African safari gone awry. Keillor's voice was soothing and strong. We clung to his deep breaths, not being able to wait for what was next.

I had never re
Tammie McElligott
Dec 07, 2007 rated it it was ok
As a fan of Keillor's radio show I thought I'd give his novel a try. I'm also a Lutheran who always giggles at his references of "Lutheran church life."

The story has one of the best first lines:

How great of a starter is that? The story tells about a daughter coming home and finding her mother has died. She quickly learns her mother had a few secrets and instructions on how to proceed with the funeral.

In add
Kathleen Valentine
There's just nobody like Garrison Keillor! This book has everything we love about Lake Wobegon--a feisty old lady with a secret life who wants her ashes to be buried in a bowling ball; a goofy bride who made a fortune in aromatherapy for pets; a disgruntled daughter with a drinking problem; warring siblings and visiting Danish clergy. What could possibly go wrong? Plenty! When the ridiculously lavish wedding is called off, but not all the participants are informed, and it collides with the inter ...more
Mora
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I love Garrison Keillor so he's getting 5 stars no matter what. So far this book is great, although the humor you get in his radio show doesn't come across the same way. I guess that's bound to happen when you change mediums.

The book is about carpe diem. Living your life to the fullest because life is short. It's based around this woman's funeral and how her family discovers this other life she lived where she was a free spirit. Traveling places with her boyfriend at the age of 70 or something.
Janice
Dec 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
a very dangerous book ... I fell out of bed laughing

a memorial service and wedding gone awry ... the perfect ending brought a group of Lutheran pastors from Denmark

makes me want to go to the video shop and rent the movie ... can't remember the name, but there was Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin (they're mentioned in this book as well)
Irene
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
I simply can not capture the magic and humor conveyed by Keillor as he tells a story whenI am reading those same words on a page.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Pontoon 1 1 Nov 26, 2013 02:54PM
  • Gardenias
  • Miss Darcy Falls in Love
  • The Lighthouse Road (Eide Family, #1)
  • The New Midwestern Table: 200 Heartland Recipes
  • 100 Best-Loved Poems
  • Almost an Evening
  • Black Hawk: AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY
  • The Sacred Stone (The Medieval Murderers, #6)
  • The Trials of Rumpole
  • The Pig Comes to Dinner
  • The Sorcerers and Their Apprentices: How the Digital Magicians of the MIT Media Lab Are Creating the Innovative Technologies That Will Transform Our Lives
  • Young Men and Fire
  • Mulliner Nights
  • Farm: A Year in the Life of an American Farmer
  • Salvation Lake (Leo Waterman, #9)
  • The Terror of St. Trinian's and Other Drawings
  • Doonesbury Deluxe: Selected Glances Askance
  • Oh! to be in England
2014
Garrison Keillor (born Gary Edward Keillor on August 7, 1942 in Anoka, Minnesota) is an American author, storyteller, humorist, columnist, musician, satirist, and radio personality. He is known as host of the Minnesota Public Radio show "A Prairie Home Companion".

Keillor was born in Anoka, Minnesota, the son of Grace Ruth (née Denham) and John Philip Keillor, who was a carpenter and postal worker.
More about Garrison Keillor...

“You get old and you realize there are no answers, just stories.” 278 likes
“Evelyn was an insomniac so when they say she died in her sleep, you have to question that.” 146 likes