Start by marking “Horowitz Horror: Nine Nasty Stories To Chill You To The Bone (Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
Horowitz Horror: Nine Nasty Stories To Chill You To The Bone (Volume 1)

Horowitz Horror: Nine Nasty Stories To Chill You To The Bone (Horrowitz Horror Shorts)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  1,628 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
Some mysterious deaths linked to a second hand camera, a boy trapped inside a computer game, a frightening journey on a bus that doesn't seem to exist and a terrifying dream that comes true. These are some of the horror stories in this collection.
Published July 1st 2008 by Orchard (NY) (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Horowitz Horror, please sign up.

Melody Sure you can read it! As an adult reading this book, I found the stories to be a bit simplistic, BUT they were still just creepy enough to make me…moreSure you can read it! As an adult reading this book, I found the stories to be a bit simplistic, BUT they were still just creepy enough to make me enjoy them ... however, I did not see much of what I feel is true horror. It's an enjoyable, interesting and quick read!(less)

Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have read countless short story collections but this collection and its sequel are ones I favour the most. This is because of two reasons;

When I was like 6 or 7, I used to pop around our local library and borrow the smaller collections of these stories - the thin little books with two or three stories in each volume. I've loved them ever since and have since, bought a copy for myself.

Second reason? These stories at the same time, were coldly-humoured, chilling and sort of freaky in a way and s
Arun Divakar
The first horror story I remember reading was Dracula in its English version but truth be told I couldn’t make any sense out of it. Imagine for a moment a ten or eleven year old kid who has not had any exposure to reading other than Enid Blyton and Hardy Boys trying his hand at an unabridged version of Dracula. The conclusion can quite obviously be drawn that the book almost put me to sleep in the first try. It was quite a while later that I read a Malayalam translation of the work which did app ...more
Lady Delacour
Enjoyable, fun, somewhat
creepy short stories.
Some were humorous,
others more mysterious.
Narrator Simon Shepherd's
performance was very good.
His female voices were odd.
Hafsa Sabira
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
When I say that I like horror stories, I mean stories that scare me to the bones for their ominous effect altogether, not stories with horrific activities of a serial killer or a mentally disturbed person.

So far I have realized that short horror stories create the greatest impact on me and even after a long time, when someone asks me to tell a story, I end up remembering a few of those stories which haunted me in the middle of the night. As for this book, this has every single element I look fo
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
Nice YA collection, although the book publication date is shown in the use of old technologies.
May 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young horror fans.
Shelves: teen-fiction
I must admit, I judged this book by its cover. I am a fan of Anthony Horowitz, but I didn't pay attention to the book's author or description; the word "HORROR" boldly emblazoned on the spine and the bloody handprint dominating the cover were all it took for me to conclude I'd like the book. In this case, my first impression was fairly accurate: the book is a collection of horror stories, albeit none too horrible since the target audience is a younger once. Given that demographic, the stories' i ...more
Geert Daelemans
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeugd, horror
Nine ltittle gems

Horowitz Horror was first published in 1999 and contains nine short stories where the protagonist is predominantly a younger person, as such is seems to be written for a preadult audience.

The nine stories:
-When it's Bath Night Isabel has to deal with a rather hostile, old Victorian bath.
-Do not by that Killer Camera, because is has a certain influence on the subjects it photographs.
-The future is no secret anymore in Light Moves, but Ethan Sly should get worried when other peopl
Rocio Pritchett
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read these stories to my students before Halloween. We turned off the lights and I read the part of a story, with voices, per day. Although they didn't mention liking them at the time, they talked about it for a month afterward. "Do you remember that voice you did for that creepy guy in that story? We had a sub who sounded Just like that, and I was creeped out all hour long!" Mission accomplished.
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horowitz, it's been long.... too long! I had almost forgotten how I appreciate his style. From these 9 gems in this collection, the first - "Bath Night", might be the scariest and is still my favourite; The last - "The Monkey's Ear", without doubt the funniest! Such a fun read!
Mark Ayre
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: man-vs-bookshelf
This was an easy read. The pacing was good with nothing unnecessary thrown in.

The problem was there often wasn't much substance. You can say it's down to length but plots often felt rushed, and this isn't the case in all short stories.

My other general problems with the series were that it wasn't frightening, and was often predictable.

Maybe it's not scary because it's for younger readers, but I remember being 12. I would have wanted this book to scare me. As I wanted it to scare me as an adult.

Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nix by: Blasterbot
Shelves: horror
I'm not into horror. Maybe it was a test of willpower or something for me to read this book, but I read it. Maybe I was desperate for reading material. I passed on the other Red Jericho books. Apparently I'd rather be scared than bored.

But, er, I wasn't scared. It wasn't that bad.

In a sick and slightly twisted way (perhaps the way that people enjoy all horror stories), I liked this book. However, I realize that this book is definitely a children's/young teens' horror book. None of the main cha
Mark Soone
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bath Night- 5 stars- Why does the new/old bath tub that her parents bought fill Isabella with fear? Why does no one else feel the panic and terror that she does? Is it just imagination or a wickedly evil device w/ a past to horrifying to imagine??? You will have to read it to find out!

Killer Camera- 3.5 stars- This likely would have been a 4 star read, had I not found the ending extremely unrewarding. A young boy buys his father a camera for a birthday gift. For soe reason the boy has uneasy fe
Patrice Sartor
GENRE: Fiction, short stories, horror, thriller.

SUMMARY: In a number of different tales, ordinary objects take on creepy characteristics. A Bathtub seems sinister, a camera may be deadly, and dreams might not be dreams.

EVALUATION: Even though I used to enjoy Stephen King (far from literature, I know), I am not a fan of horror these days. I added this because it is popular among tweens, especially tween boys, and I wanted another short story entry and another horror entry. This fulfilled both nee
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another time when I don't remember much. . . . but I do recall what I think was the first story about the girl and the bath tub. Haha right? A girl in a haunted bath tub, how scary can that be- No. It was terrifying (I see you laughing!). I mean a guy that used to take girls home and chop them up with a victorian axe in the bath tub that this girl now has, scary right, but no the ending was the worst part. The son and the mom get in a really bad fight and the son is taking a bath to cool off. Th ...more
Nan Silvernail
9 Spooky Tales

1) Bath Night - A deep, old Victorian claw-foot tub, with a secret.
2) Killer Camera - A rather sinister second-hand bargain.
3) Light Moves - An old computer that wasn't plugged in comes to life.
4) The Night Bus - Take a tour around London on it. You'll never be the same.
5) Harriet's Horrible Dream - It has to be a dream, it just has to be.
6) Scared - Out in the country? Stay on the paths.
7) A Career in Computer Games - This is no Beta Test.
8) The Man with the Yellow Face - Twilight
Jun 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waleed Salam
The hitchhiker is a short story in this book that talks about this family in a storm driving back home from a long drive and the father is nice to everyone they saw this man standing in the rain the father asked the man were you heading the man answered the father said its on our way we will drop you off on our way home. As time passed by the child saw the man take out a knife ready to stab the mother but because the boy saw the knife he kicked the knife out of the mans hand opened the door of t ...more
Matias Talevi
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La adolescencia puede ser una etapa espantosa en la vida de un niño o una niña.
Definitivamente estos pobres adolescentes, como si sus vidas no tuvieran suficientes problemas aún, no la pasan nada bien en los cuentos de Anthony Horowtiz.
Horror juvenil, crudo y con finales sorprendentes, para contar en una fogata de Halloween o leer en la oscuridad.
Mi cuento favorito fue Hora de bañarse .

Natalie Bowers
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-stories
This book of short stories, although aimed at readers about twenty years younger than myself, was both entertaining and educational. Anyone interested in writing horror or short stories (or both) would be well advised to read this collection. The prose is swift and lean, the suspense masterful and the humour/horror balance pitched just right. Horowitz takes everyday objects, people and places and gives them a creepy, unexpected twist.
Jun 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Even bearing in mind this was written for younger audiences, the stories were not at all 'scary,' 'creepy,' or otherwise 'horrific.' The language was perhaps a bit too childish, the stories did not build strong plots, the climaxes were entirely predictable. The characters were not relatable or particularly believable.
Dany Hdz
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El libro está muy divertido. Todos los cuentos te transmiten cierto terror, es casi como si te imaginaras a ti mismo como el personaje del cuento. Mis cuentos favoritos fueron: El hombre de la cara amarilla, El horrible sueño de Harriet y Hora de bañarse. :)
Manbir Gill
Sep 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book is called horowitz horror but ironically i wasn't scred even a tiny bit.Seriously i expected so much from this book but it turned out to be the same old stories in every so-called horror book.
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i liked this book very much! the cover looked very cool also haha. i like reading scary stories like these. i also read the other book, which was like, more stories? but yeah. this book was really good. some of them gave me the creeps haha
It was a fun light read. Some of the stories were stereotypical, some were clever, overall it was not amazing but not bad.
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book! Some of the stories were a little weird, but some of them were really good! I liked this book!
Pindari N.
this book of assorted horror stories was ok. Only the fist story could really be considered scary, the other ones were just 'twilight-zoney'.
Oct 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it- great stories for this time of year!
Apr 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh, these stories are sooo creepy but really good!
Nox Rox
Mar 26, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
totally odd.
  • Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth (Tales of Terror, #3)
  • Fear: 13 Stories of Suspense and Horror
  • Promises to the Dead
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • De katten van Kruisem
  • The Hunting Ground
  • Mr Mumbles (Invisible Fiends, Book 1)
  • Tightrope
  • Evil?
  • The Long Weekend
  • The Small Assassin
  • The Secrets Come Out (Aya, #3)
  • The Boy Who Couldn't Die
  • Half-Minute Horrors
Anthony Horowitz, OBE is ranked alongside Enid Blyton and Mark A. Cooper as "The most original and best spy-kids authors of the century." (New York Times). Anthony has been writing since the age of eight, and professionally since the age of twenty. In addition to the highly successful Alex Rider books, he is also the writer and creator of award winning detective series Foyle’s War, and more recent ...more
More about Anthony Horowitz...

Horrowitz Horror Shorts (6 books)
  • The Phone Goes Dead (Horowitz Horror Shorts)
  • Night Bus (Horrowitz Horror Shorts)
  • Burnt (Horowitz Horror Shorts)
  • Twist Cottage (Horowitz Horror Shorts)
  • Scared (Horowitz Horror Shorts)
  • Killer Camera (Horowitz Graphic Horror)