Start by marking “Alhazred: Author of the Necronomicon” as Want to Read:
Alhazred: Author of the Necronomicon

Alhazred: Author of the Necronomicon

H. P. Lovecraft's compelling character, Abdul Alhazred, is brought to life in this epic tale detailing the mad sorcerer's tragic history and magical adventures. Alhazred tells his own life story, beginning with himself as a poor, handsome boy in Yemen who attracts the attention of the king for his divine skill in poetry. As the court poet, young Abdul lives a luxurious lif ...more
Published July 8th 2006 by Llewellyn Publications (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Alhazred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alhazred

Dan Schwent
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, lovecraftian
When Abdul Alhazred gets his lover, the daughter of the king, pregnant, he's forced to eat the roasted fetus, along with his own genitals. Mutilated and near death, he is left to die in the Empty Space, the great desert. But that is only the beginning of his journey to becoming the greatest necromancer in existence...

After reading Tales of Alhazred, I jumped at the chance to read this. Much like the time I drank a twelve pack of Angry Orchard, it was too much of a good thing.

Since I read Tales o
Patrick
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: H.P. Lovecraft fans, Clive Barker fans, Goths, Otherkin
Shelves: fantasy
I'm pretty sure I lost 2d6 sanity points reading this book.

ALHAZRED is the autobiography of a young necromancer who travels the Arabian peninsula circa 1000 A.D., gathering arcane knowledge and trying to keep one step ahead of the various wizards, outlaws, demons and monsters he manages to piss off along the way. This premise could have easily listed sideways into some insipidly awful Daaaaaaark Gawthic Fantasy bullshit territory, yet Tyson's novel is surprisingly light on its feet. ALHAZRED is
Althea Ann
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Donald Tyson – Alhazred: The Author of the Necronomicon

Has any horror reader not heard tell of that tome of blackest occult knowledge, the Necronomicon? Invented by H.P. Lovecraft, and referred to in his ‘Cthulhu mythos’ stories, the fictional grimoire has achieved a mythic status, even acquiring its own rabid fans, self-styled ‘occultists’ who insist that the book, written, according to Lovecraft’s tales, by the ‘mad Arab’ Abdul Alhazred, must truly exist. Indeed, two books entitled ‘Necronomi
Steve Cran
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I totally loved this book and for several reasons. First off the author has done his research on the Middle East. He put Alhazred's story back into it's proper context. The Mad Arab grew up and experienced his adventures in the Middle East so it is only proper that Egyptian Gods, Jinn, Ghoul's , Indian Thuggies and sultans play a part with the ever present spectre of the Old ones hidden in the background just outside of everyone's view.

The story starts off in Yemen when Alhazred, the kings poet
Dexter Morgenstern
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The story is narrated by Abdul Alhazred the Mad Arab. It starts by leading readers through his torture, mutilation, and banishment, condemned to die in the vast desert known as the "Empty Space".

Death doesn't come that easily for Alhazred though, and given incentive by a dark figure known as Nyarlathotep, he carries onto better fortune, and fates that may be considered far worse. He encounters several fictional creatures such as Djinn, ghouls, and many different Lovecraftian horrors.

Donald Tyso
David
Having fallen in love with the Yemeni King Huban's daughter Alhazred gets her pregnant.

When this is discovered he is tortured, forced to eat the grilled body of the miscarried fetus (amongst other things), mutilated and set loose in the desert (the Empty Space) of Yemen to die. He does not do this. Rather, he becomes a cannibal to survive, then becomes a ghoul and finally sets out on a quest to restore his body (deconstructed by the torture and mutilation). The bulk of the book is concerned with
Jade
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For me, Alhazred is one of those life-changing kind of books. It's not going to be that for most people, it just happened to fall into my hands at the exact time I needed a book like that. I also had to be aware that I needed it, for what I took from it, could have made me worse, not better.

But I won't get into details – it's a review, not my life story ;)

This is not a hard read, Tyson is a great writer and the story is very smooth. Abdul Alhazred, author of the Necronomicon, goes 'walkabout' an
Thee_ron_clark
While in a shop filled with crystals and new age goods, I came across this treasure while my girlfriend poked around for whatever it was she was looking for.

As a fan of Lovecraft's work, I had to nab it. This was especially true with its low sale price. One can never pass over inexpensive books of interest, can they?

Honestly, I held off a bit due to the length of the book. Once I started, I was pretty well hooked. OK. It did take me a few pages. The start was looking at a yound Alhazred as an a
Dan Mazur
Nov 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
DRIBBLE. I received a free copy of this book and felt that I would spend some spare time over the summer reading it. The more I read, the harder I found it to understand the plot. Interestingly enough, I kept reading the book hoping to actually understand what the plot was more than anything else. I completed the book content with the understanding that there isn't any plot at all! It is simply a collection of disconnected and boring 'events' in the main character's adventures. Thank God this bo ...more
William
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent novel (or is it a biography?) that deserves five stars based on its own merits: well crafted characters in a richly imagined setting.

However, it falls well short of my expectations based on the Lovecraft mythos. And I am not sure that any book could ever fulfill those expectations.

Also interesting to note that the portrayal of Alhazred is substantially different that the portrayal in Tyson's Necronomicon. Many of the details are the same, but the overall result is very different.
Ben
Jul 18, 2007 rated it it was ok
Sword-and-sorcery style pulp fiction with good research on the setting (ancient Iraq, Egypt, and surrounding countries) and a cut-throat protagonist. Set in Lovecraft's universe, but lacking in his style since it reads like more of a straightforward pulp fantasy (think: Conan the Barbarian) with great action but fairly flat characters, and has an ending that dovetails irritatingly in the direction of a sequel with no sign of the Necronomicon in sight! Don't know if I'd buy it, but it was a fun r ...more
Ivan
Nov 05, 2011 rated it liked it
An unfortunate book, in that the first half is uniformly excellent, and the second half is both dull and too sprawling for its own good, with far too many loose ends left by the time to put down the last page. I would recommend the first half to any Lovecraft fan, or even any fan of Arabian Nights-style adventure, with the warning it may be a bit more gory than you're used to. However, the hefty price tag may deter some, especially since the second half of the poor is rather poor. Rated 3 stars ...more
Eric Williamson
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Since I already had 'The Necronomicon,' The Grimoire of the Necronomicon,' and 'The Necronomicon Tarot,' I planned to pass this one up. My friend Big Will talked it up pretty well however, so I sought out a good, used copy. I'm quite glad I did. This essentially covers similar ground to his first work, but instead of dry descriptors, this is a narrative story and quite entertaining. I recommend this to anyone with an interest in the Lovecraftian Mythos.
Rachel
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Dark but poignant, Alhazred is a deeply flawed man and mystic who encounters the most astounding things during his exile. Thematically, this book bears a lot of weight: not immediately judging that which is unknown, acknowledging one's mistakes, and loving despite disfigurement.
Resbot
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Gruesome but very imaginative, I highly enjoyed this book.
Lucy Vega
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Arabian deserts, Bedouins, djinn, ghouls, palaces, monsters, and Nyarlathotep - the dark, mysterious and faceless desert wanderer - haunting your dreams, what's not to love?

Tyson has a vivid, colorful and addictive writing style with a strong atmosphere that pulls you in and keeps you there. The writing flows beautifully, and really makes the scenes come alive on the page. I found myself taking my time reading this so I wouldn't miss the beautiful scenery, not to mention the incredibly colorful
Stanley Gemmell
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing and spine chilling tale of a fictional Lovecraft character that this magician author understands as an actual intelligence functioning upon the astral plane. Very intense adventures combine with deep-narrative intelligence to offer philosophical vistas of unparalleled grace and power!!!
Ali
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book, well written and told. some parts are very dry to read but overall a great read!
John R. Dailey Jr.
A FINE TALE OF OLE ARAB IT IS...

Hello, this is a very interesting story dealing with the author of the Necronomicon. Very well written and entertaining to read. Thanks.
Seph
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of H.P. Lovecraft
An unquestionably addictive page-turner, Alhazred documents the journey of its eponymous antihero—an intriguing ghoul of a man disfigured by the barbarous King of Yemen and left to rot in the Rub' al Khali desert—on a personal mission to probe the deepest reaches of existence and understand the arcane secrets of the universe in an effort to reclaim his stolen manhood, and reveal the nature of his very soul.

Fans of H.P. Lovecraft's work will be delighted by Tyson's use of the Cthulhu Mythos as Al
Michael
Occult nonfiction writer Donald Tyson weaves together the Cthulu Mythos of H. P. Lovecraft with the lore of medieval necromancy to create the saga of Alhazred, author of the oft-referenced Necronomicon. Alhazred--ghoul, necromancer, and assassin--travels from Yemen to Egypt to Eden and, finally, to Damascus on an epic journey, along with his "servant," Martala. There are hair-raising adventures and hair's breadth escapes as they pass through these lands gleaning the arcane knowledge of the peri ...more
Elizabeth .
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like gore, scifi, and horror
This book is supposed to be about what happened to the "Mad Arab" (Alhazred) before he wrote the Necronomicon. It involves disfigurement, ghouls, empty space, Cthulhu and the Old Ones, and all kinds of evil shit. I was a little disappointed with the ending (especially after reading 600+ pages), but overall it was super interesting and hard to put down and made me wish I was a necromancer. Plus Donald Tyson does a lot of research for his books and it totally rules.
Lana Hart
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Horrifying, inspiring, and an epic adventure. I loved every sentence of this book. It was occasionally over-written, but not so much that I felt like I was slogging through. I wished there was more, though. The ending is a little abrupt and leaves us hanging as to Alhazred, Altrus, and Martala's fates. :(

Tl;dr: Write another one, Donald!
Jesse
Jan 02, 2011 rated it liked it
If you like back stories into authors of the sci-fi/horror genre I recommend this one. It tells the tale to the history of the author of the infamous book The Necronomicon hence the title. Wonderful detail into the mental and physical trials that can befall upon one soul and lead him to a new destiny.
Tiberius Bones
Jan 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Attention plot haters! Come all you who despise a cohesive narrative! This is the book for you!

This "book" is simply one boring or nonsensical event after another. There is literally nothing interesting to keep you plodding on, but if you just want to waste some time or have a hard time falling asleep, this for you.
Nathan Noga
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable and entertaining story. Based on H.P. Lovecraft's lore, the ending was iffy due to the god's reaction. Would have like to see some more of the reasons why he is known as "mad" but I understood his actions and thinking. Great adventure story nonetheless.
Tiffany
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was super long, so I was worried it'd get boring. I was wrong! It was a very good read! It definitely gets you rooting for the bad guy!
Lloyd Anthony
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I DIDN'T READ THIS STORY, ACTUALLY I INTEREST
Bethany
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Finally done! Not much point to it~ guess it was just a prequel, showing the background of this particular character. Glad I bought it and glad I'm done with it. :)
Daniel Wesolowski
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
667 pages, and I wished it didn't end. Considering it didn't deal with his death, one can only hope for a sequel.

• The Necronomicon: Selected Stories and Essays Concerning the Blasphemous Tome of the Mad Arab
  • The Taint and Other Novellas
  • Delta Green: Denied to the Enemy
  • The Book of Iod: Ten Tales of the Mythos
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
  • New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Reanimators (Dr. Stuart Hartwell #1)
  • Historical Lovecraft
  • Cthulhu's Reign
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • Nameless Cults: The Complete Cthulhu Mythos Fiction of Robert E. Howard
  • The Complete Pegāna: All the Tales Pertaining to the Fabulous Realm of Pegāna
  • Dead Names: The Dark History of the Necronomicon
  • Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 1: The Fugue
  • A Mountain Walked
Donald Tyson is a Canadian from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Early in life he was drawn to science by an intense fascination with astronomy, building a telescope by hand when he was eight. He began university seeking a science degree, but became disillusioned with the aridity and futility of a mechanistic view of the universe and shifted his major to English. After graduating with honors he has pursued a ...more