Start by marking “Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5)” as Want to Read:
Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5)

Trunk Music

(Harry Bosch #5)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  49,151 ratings  ·  1,474 reviews
Back on the job after an involuntary leave of absence, LAPD homicide detective Harry Bosch is ready for a challenge. But his first case is a little more than he bargained for.

It starts with the body of a Hollywood producer in the trunk of a Rolls-Royce, shot twice in the head at close range - what looks like "trunk music," a Mafia hit. But the LAPD's organized crime unit
Published November 28th 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 28th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Trunk Music, please sign up.
Xe N You could but I wouldn't. There's a lot of backstory worth knowing so that you can understand why Harry Bosch is the way he is.
Zachary At this point in the series, Connelly had just left his job as a journalist. He wrote the first few books when he still had a day job. I doubt he…moreAt this point in the series, Connelly had just left his job as a journalist. He wrote the first few books when he still had a day job. I doubt he could afford a ghostwriter this early into his career as a novelist. He was probably just trying different things with the chapter lengths, etc...(less)

·  49,151 ratings  ·  1,474 reviews

James Thane
Trunk Music is Michael Connelly's sixth novel and the fifth of those books to feature L.A. homicide detective, Harry Bosch. It remains my favorite of Connelly's books and my favorite of all police procedurals--an inspiration to me and, I assume, to a good many other authors who write crime fiction.

Harry has been serving time on an administrative leave, which resulted from actions he took in The Last Coyote. He's just returned to the Homicide Desk when he's called to the scene of an apparent murd
Katie B

When I'm feeling stressed I like to turn to a favorite author or series in order to take my mind off things. Harry Bosch is a dependable character in that you know he's always going to be in the middle of something and will be sure to piss more than a few people off. While this isn't my favorite of the five books I have read so far in the series, any Michael Connelly novel is miles above most others in the genre.

With issues in his professional life resolved, Harr
Jonetta
Harry's back from enforced "stress leave" and anxious to get assigned to a case. When he and his team find Tony Aliso's body in the trunk of his car, Harry fights to hold onto it instead of handing it over to the guys in the Organized Crime Investigation Division. What first appears to be mob "trunk music" turns out to be so much more.

As usual, Harry's solid investigative instincts makes the procedurals so interesting, especially when things get dicey. He's heading up a three-person team, intro
Phrynne
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Number 5 in the Harry Bosch series and still rolling nicely along. I probably found this to be the least exciting of the books to date. It was a little bit too full of procedural detail and there were so many different cons going on at once I was occasionally confused. Nevertheless Bosch used all his smarts and came out on top,as usual. I liked his two off siders and his boss who was able to bend the rules occasionally for him. I found the story line of Eleanor Wish and the marriage to be unnece ...more
Becky
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
You guys! I finished a book! Woot! (Seriously, I went from reading a book a day while the hubs was out of town to reading almost nothing in the month and a half he's been back. Life is cruel.)

Anyway, I finally finished this book, and yet again, it was a solid entry into this series. This book is the basis for the first season of Bosch on Amazon, and so, when I realized that, I think that it kind of added to the slump I was in, because I felt like I knew what was going to happen alrea
Mark Baker
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2017-audio, 2017
Harry Bosch is back working homicide, and his first case involves a body left in a car trunk. It looks like the victim was the victim of a mob hit, and he has connections in Las Vegas. Is the case really going to be that simple?

Bosch’s cases are always fun, and this book is no exception. I was able to spot a couple of the twists coming a little early, but that was a minor complaint. The characters are strong, both returning and new. A face from Bosch’s past comes back into his life h
Jenny
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery
TTrunk Music is book five in the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. First day on back at work after a leave of absence Harry Bosch caught the case of the murder of Tony Alison. At first glance, it looks like a mob hit. However, this was not the case. The readers will continue to follow the twists and turn in Harry Bosch investigation into the death of Tony Aliso. Also, the readers of Trunk Music will be surprised by the ending of this book.

I love reading books in this series, and Trunk Mus
Freda Malone
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
‘Trunk Music’ = Mob Hit, I didn't know that. This is #5 in the Bosch series and Harry is back in full force after being forced into involuntary leave. A producer has been killed and stuffed in a trunk. Harry’s team is on it. We have some new characters to read about.

Jerry Edgar and Kizman Rider. I like these two so far. Rider seems to be drawn up as a temp detective and might be moving on to bigger and better things but I hope she decides to stay. Edgar is a man, what can I say. Your typical ma
Megan Baxter
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is my first Michael Connelly, and thus, obviously, my first Harry Bosch mystery. And, as always, I throw continuity to the wind and start somewhere in the middle! Who needs beginnings?

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Chris
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bosch is back to work in Hollywood with a new supervisor, a woman lieutenant. He no longer has a partner, he has two now. Not a reflection on him, just a new strategy of teams of three. So he goes with the flow, whatever. Little does he suspect that she will be the boss he has always needed.

On a weekend a body is found in the trunk of a Rolls Royce in view of the Hollywood Bowl. Harry’s team is on it. Looks like a mob hit but the LAPD’s organized crime bureau wants nothing to do with
Obsidian
Well I was up and down about Harry Bosch. I absolutely love the tv series and decided to go back and read these books. The only book I have read out of the series is "City of Bones." At the time I had no idea it was part of an ongoing series. It was in one of my grandpa's Reader's Digest condensed books that included 3 other novels. I recall liking that story and had an idea at one time to see about other books Connelly wrote, but that was years ago and I forgot about it. When the tv series came ...more
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
LAPD Homicide Detective Harry Bosch returns with a bang from another forced leave in Trunk Music. His first day back in homicide, and he's called out to investigate a body found stuffed in a car trunk. The investigation gets off to a bad start and quickly deteriorates when Harry realizes the scene has been compromised by the investigating officer. The murder appears to be an organized crime hit and should be turned over to the Organized Crime Investigation Unit, but Harry is reluctant to do so as he h ...more
Scott Rhee
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
The term "trunk music" (for those who aren't fluent in mob-speak) refers to an execution-style murder that involves two clean shots to the head and a body stuffed in a car's trunk. Tony Alisio, a small-time Hollywood movie producer of notoriously bad low-budget movies, is trunk music, and LAPD homicide detective Harry Bosch has taken the case. Thus begins Michael Connelly's fifth book in the Bosch series, "Trunk Music".

Bosch's investigation leads him to a plethora of potential suspec
Paul
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok I get it, this book series is great, at least it is based on this book. I had never read a Bosch book but saw them all the other night in the bookstore and went with one with an interesting title. Take a realistic cop who is never perfect, and a storyline that even though I figured out at least a quarter of the way in, is very well executed, and you have a great book.
Brenda
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LAPD Detective Harry Bosch arrived on the scene to find the grisly remains of a victim in the boot of a car – two gunshot wounds to the head. Wealth hadn’t helped Tony Aliso in the end – stuffed in the trunk of his Rolls Royce on Mulholland Drive was probably the last place he thought he would end up. On the job, the cops referred to this kind of killing as “Trunk Music” – appropriate Bosch thought, but then he wasn’t totally sure that was what it was…

Teamed with homicide detectives
Banner
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reread, mystery
Continuing with the audio rereads of the Harry Bosch series. Just as good the 2nd time around.

This story is the bases (in part) for the Amazon series.

There were several twist and turns but Harry never takes his eyes off his mission.

Highly recommend the entire series!
Terri
A man is found murdered in his car trunk off Mulholland. Bosch is assigned to the case of the film producer and his investigation takes him to Vegas where money laundering and mobsters come into the picture. Lots of twists and turns make the investigation much different and bigger than they thought. A well plotted maze of a case is very satisfying (if a bit predictable in places - mainly the last bit). It is a fun, enjoyable story and well - I always enjoy Bosch.
3.75 stars. I enjoyed this, but the premise just wasn't as compelling for me as has been the case with all of the other Connelly books I've read. I didn't care about the victim, honestly, and the peripheral characters were just ok.

Connelly's writing is always great and oh, so easy to sink into. The audio performance was also solid. But this one was just ok for me.

I will say this: Harry has a new boss and I just love her. And I love the chemistry between them. So much better than the awful Poun
Gary
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story. Enjoyed the sidekick characters.
Therin Knite
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, mystery
(view spoiler) ...more
Harry
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Time saver tip: if you've read my review of any Harry Bosch book, you've read 'em all. Since I don't reveal plots and reserve my comments to the overall book/author, characterization, style, etc...I just don't feel the need to repeat myself as in most cases series books if any good at all do remain consistent. The star ratings might change, but not my opinion of the series as a whole.

Michael Connelly is a well know and very popular author in the mystery/detective and police procedural genres. Exploding onto the scene in the early nineties with his first six novels, and topping it off just recently with his 18th Bosch novel (The Black Box), Connelly has garnered most awards worth getting. Let's face it, the awards are well deserved, especially for those first novels (more on that later).

Having emerged onto the fictional world after a career as a journalist, culminating with his job as crime reporter for the LA times, and admitting to becoming interested in writing fiction as a result of reading Raymond Chandler early on in his journalistic career, Michael Connelly has since involved himself in several collaborations: notable the television series Level 9, and as co-writer with Val McDermid's Wire In the Blood series (and that spawned the wildly popular grim, noir BBC television series of the same name). If you're into Noir than this TV series is a must see.

Connelly has a knack for writing suspenseful tales that take quite a few twists and turns before being resolved with a stellar Who-Done-It that has most readers guessing till the very end (at least in his earlier books).

Heironymous (Harry) Bosch, the hero in this series, is named after a Renaissance painter who specialized in earthly sins, debauchery, fanciful and gruesome visions of hell, violent consequences from high above if not detailed looks at the tortures reserved for earthly residents. Score 1 for Connelly in choosing a very apropos name for our own tortured detective Harry Bosch.

Bosch is a complicated and conflicted character, a character that slowly develops across this series but whose emotive origin lies in the Viet Cong tunnels where Harry got his education in fear: underground, claustrophic, dark, drenched with blood, gruesome deaths, peopled with a savage enemy crawling within the absence of all light, hunting for the American soldiers like bloodthirsty rats. From these dark tunnels emerges Harry Bosch, LAPD detective, bent on setting the world right. From this darkness where pacific military command has sent Bosch to discover the inevitable conflict between a military order and the reality of carrying out that order, we find a detective in perpetual defiance of LAPD authority.

The Harry Bosch series, for me, are divided into two sets: the first 4 books, and the rest that follow. As mentioned earlier, the classic early 90's novels were better for me. Books starting with The Black Echo on through The Last Coyote all inherit the tortuous origins of Harry's artistic namesake. Reading these books I could actually feel my heart begin to race as I sped towards the inevitable ending, ones that actually kept you guessing to the very end. One reviewer (sorry, can't remember who it was) says the following of these earlier book titles:

[...]Even the titles of the books used to be cleverer. Compare The Drop (a simple reference to Deferred Retirement Option Plan) to The Concrete Blonde (a reference to both lady justice statue on the courthouse and the body of a blonde entombed in concrete. [...]

Compare that to the later books in the series where we find a Harry Bosch notably mellower in his older age, where we find endings easily guessed at, where procedure begins to trump a superb plot. Bosch no longer smokes, doesn't drink and drive, doesn't slap people around anymore, where his defiance of LAPD authority is tempered by retirement, and let's face it, where my heart just doesn't race as often anymore. Let's say that his later novels are beginning to show an author's haste (is it me, or are the novels shorter and shorter?)

Don't get me wrong, I still love reading the latest Bosch novel. Where the earlier novels have a few things that can be improved on (dialogue could have been better) the later novels are polished, almost a little too much so. After 18 Bosch novels, is Connelly tiring? Maybe.

Beginning with the last 90's novel (Angels Flight) in which we are introduced to Bosch's latest romantic interest, Eleanor Wish, with whom Bosch is to have a daughter this mellowing process takes root. Connelly is absolutely right to introduce this notable character shift in Bosch from this book forward because as I can attest to in my own personal life: when you see your child born, a fundamental shift takes place in a man. For me, I was reborn from a devilish bachelor into a man who now bore the responsibility of an innocent life. It completely turned around my life for the better. And so it is with Harry Bosch. It is the presence of his daughter that transforms him from Heironymous to Harry.

Overall, I highly recommend this series.
Mahlon
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Great entry in the Bosch series, Trunk Music was used as one of the major plot lines for season two of the TV series. Although again some of the characters are different and I don't think ending of the book and TV season are exactly the same which is a good thing because it will entice you to read the book!
Jim
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although it took me forever to read this (It's spring time, so even less time for sitting & reading.) I think it might be the best of the series so far. Harry is more upbeat & so is the story - if that can be said of any murder mystery. It was good & twisty. Good characters & well played all the way through.

This should definitely be read in order. From what I've read, that's Connelly's publishing order, not just this particular series since other series & characters interact
Jane Stewart
Definitely above average for a crime mystery police procedural with a happy ending, but 2 stars for the narrator.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
I was interested throughout. A woman comes into Harry’s life which made him more likeable. I loved Harry’s actions when a mobster kidnapped someone he cared about. It surprised me. During this story for some reason I thought of Lt. Columbo from the old TV series? Harry is not exactly like Columbo, but the way he outsmarted other smart people in a v
Anastasia
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Trunk Music by Michael Connelly is the 5th book in the Harry Bosch series. After being demoted to burglary, Harry returns to the homicide division and his first case is the shooting of a small time film producer found dead in the trunk of his rolls royce. He is discovered to have ties to the mob and Las Vegas, where harry comes across his ex-girlfriend who we met in the first book, Elenor Wish. Another great book in this series with just what we have come to expect. Lots of twists and plenty of ...more
Heidi
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, 2018-goal
As always, a well-written novel that’s hard to put down... even when you know where things are going.

Tough to review a book with a super familiar story line that was mostly appropriated by the TV series based on my fave LA detective— Bosch.

It was the same and yet not the same as the TV series liberally borrows its main storylines from the books— but never as written.

That said, still a great Bosch book!!
Carol
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
What might not have caught the attention of someone not receptive to music, caught Bosch's ear. It's these details that keep me coming back to this series. Take this first sentence. I can see and I can hear and I'm hooked.

"AS HE DROVE along Mulholland Drive toward the Cahuenga Pass, Bosch began to hear the music. It came to him in fragments of strings and errant horn sequences, echoing off the brown summer-dried hills and blurred by the white noise of traffic carrying up from the Hollywood Fre
James  Love
This is the 5th Harry Bosch mystery and the main story arc for Season Two of Amazon's Bosch.

I highly recommend reading the book before watching Season 2. The TV series does ruin the book ending with SPOILERS and the TV series does take some liberties with altering the book by having Bosch's daughter in the show while Maddy wasn't even born yet in the book.
Jim
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
Trunk Music is a superb police procedural set in Los Angeles (where else?) and Las Vegas. From the very start, we are in the middle of a gruesome murder: A small-time Hollywood producer named Tony Aliso is found dead and stuffed in the drunk of his Rolls Royce Silver Cloud. Clues lead all over the place, with a number of false leads until it all comes together neatly in the end. Michael Connelly's detective Harry Bosch is in charge.

With Bosch, he is being chased as much as he chases -- by his past, by Interna
Crime, Mysteries ...: Trunk Music (Harry Bosch #5) - March 2019 24 38 Apr 01, 2019 11:32AM
Play Book Tag: Trunk Music by Michael Connelly - 3 Stars [Listopia] 2 9 Dec 31, 2018 11:20AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add details 3 14 Jan 23, 2017 08:05AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add/update book details 2 10 Oct 18, 2016 11:36AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 6 10 Jun 01, 2016 04:53PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 5 6 Jun 01, 2016 04:52PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 11 6 Jun 01, 2016 04:49PM

• The Last Detective (Elvis Cole, #9)
  • A Morning for Flamingos (Dave Robicheaux #4)
  • Naked Prey (Lucas Davenport, #14)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teachers was novel

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10)
  • The Closers (Harry Bosch, #11)
“What is important is not what you hear said, it's what you observe.” 101 likes
“Bosch had never liked Las Vegas, though he came often on cases. It shared a kinship with Los Angeles; both were places desperate people ran to. Often, when they ran from Los Angeles, they came here. It was the only place left.” 7 likes