Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to the World of Harry Potter” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to the World of Harry Potter

The Complete Idiot's Guide to the World of Harry Potter

For fans of all ages!

Here is an entertaining and easily referenced presentation of insider information to the world that J.K. Rowling has created in her spellbinding series of novels. The Complete Idiot's Guide® to the World of Harry Potter explores all aspects of the wizarding world and explains factually in terms of their relationship to historical, literary, religious,
Published October 2nd 2007 by Alpha (first published January 4th 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to the World of Harry Potter

Rachel
Aug 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Harry Potter Neophytes
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a good book for people who haven't read harry potter, perhaps don't really want to, but want to understand what the fuss is all about.

It was also interesting from the linguistic perspective: where did Rowling get all those fantastic words?
Sofia
May 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book of facts is only of any use to you if you're not a Potterhead to begin with. If you're already part of the cult fandom, you'll soon see all the mistakes and errors and feel cheated. Like I did.
Maddie Suhovecky
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I thought it had alot of information, but it seemed very boring. I did not expect to be intrigued, but it would have been nice if it said more than the roots of the words. I was expecting more mentionings of Harry, but that was fine. I would not read this again. SO BORING!!!!!!
Siân
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Mistakes so far: Yorkshire Pudding - unless it's something like toad in the hole it doesn't have anything added to the batter - at least not any of the Yorkshire Puddings I've ever seen.
Turkish Delight - is not ANYTHING like described in this book. Seriously, even a google search would have told you this. Just for a start, it's not English. It's not like taffy. It doesn't usually come with sprinkles.
King's English. Dude. England have a Queen. Have had one for like the last SIXTY years. So it wou
Noninuna
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Now, this is THE book every Potterhead would want to read. Seriously. So why 4 stars? Actually, i would like to give 4 & a half stars because it is very detailed up to where every word originated from but if i have to say it, too much details could bore some of us which is me included in the later part if the book. As the title mentioned, it is about the world of Harry Potter as in the wizarding world that created by the genius J.K. Rowling rather than about the plot & it's characters.
Ve
DJ Johnson
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Honestly I read this before I read Harry Potter (I know, I know, I was really late to the Harry Potter world). It was very helpful in order to talk to my HP friends and not sound like a complete Muggle. Of course I eventually read all the books (and was hooked, thank you.) This reference guide was still very helpful when I hit something in the book I didn't understand. Let's be honest, all those potion names and spell names can be a bit to remember your first time reading.
Hanaa
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Potter fan
Recommended to Hanaa by: a book shelf. haha.
Well, I know for a fact i'm not an idiot, but I think the author is. The author has a lot of facts wrong. And it really turned me off. I finished the book, but it was not an enjoyable read, it was painful.
ah li
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Didn't quite like this book, not complete (very little mention of book 7 except for the horcruxes & hallows). Missed out some stuff from the earlier books too, a disappointment. But as a Harry Potter fan, I couldn't miss out on any Potter related books, official or not.
Invisimort
Dec 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Already being a HUGE potter fan when I read this, I knew most of what was in it.
Aegine
Apr 15, 2009 rated it liked it
They actually have an Idiot's Guide to Harry Potter? I laughed so hard!
Gnawang
it was AMAZIIIIING
Cindy
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm anxious to reread the Potter books and finish the series after all the tidbits of information this book included.
Esther
May 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Really informative and compact about the wizarding world of Harry and his clans! :)
Samantha Raeder
Oct 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Fun read, even with all the spelling errors.
Rachelccameron
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I thought it would provide a lot more extra information to those who had already read the books but a lot of it was really obvious stuff.
Didn't really keep my interest.
Andhyka
thanks
Ellen
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great unauthorized book of everything Harry Potter.
Charmaine
Sep 21, 2011
Habiba Lutfia
Feb 18, 2019
Sylee
rated it did not like it
Apr 14, 2008
YANTA
Dec 14, 2017
Sydney
Feb 23, 2015

• The Wisdom of Harry Potter: What Our Favorite Hero Teaches Us About Moral Choices
  • Field Guide to Harry Potter
  • The Hidden Myths in Harry Potter: Spellbinding Map and Book of Secrets
  • The Ivory Tower and Harry Potter: Perspectives on a Literary Phenomenon
  • Harry Potter and International Relations
  • Reading Harry Potter: Critical Essays
  • Kids' Letters to Harry Potter: From Around the World
  • Gospel According to Harry Potter: Spirituality in the Stories of the World's Most Famous Seeker
  • Fact, Fiction, and Folklore in Harry Potter's World: An Unofficial Guide
  • Harry Potter Smart Talk
  • Harry Potter & Imagination: The Way Between Two Worlds
  • Who Killed Albus Dumbledore?: What Really Happened in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Six Expert Harry Potter Detectives Examine the Evidenc
  • The Plot Thickens... Harry Potter Investigated by Fans for Fans