Start by marking “Daja's Book (Circle of Magic, #3)” as Want to Read:
Daja's Book (Circle of Magic, #3)

Daja's Book (Circle of Magic #3)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  25,241 Ratings  ·  367 Reviews
There is an alternate cover edition here.

Outcast Trader Daja, along with her fellow mages-in-training, journeys from Winding Circle to the Gold Ridge Mountains, where drought threatens widespread famine. There, Daja creates an astonishing object: a living metal vine, and Daja's dealings with her former people reawaken a longing for familiar ways.

Daja must choose - should s
Mass Market Paperback, 232 pages
Published June 24th 2006 by Scholastic (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Daja's Book, please sign up.
Emily Hathaway Your local library or Amazon. The Kindle versions pretty cheap if you have a device you can use it on.

Ashley
Daja’s Book is the third in Tamora Pierce’s children’s fantasy book series, Circle of Magic. I was previously classifying this as young adult, but this book has firmly set my mind on the subject. At the end of these books, I keep wanting more from them. More development. More sophistication. More actual content (they’re very short). More time spent (they take place over very short periods of time). And I finally decided, basically just about five minutes ago, that the expectations I was placing ...more
Rachel
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book. The only reason it's four stars instead of five stars is because I didn't connect at all with some of the magic used here- there are times of the kids being magically away from their bodies, and that completely takes me out of the experience of the book.

But that is literally my only complaint. Tamora Pierce does yet another fantastic job of writing young heroines realistically and powerfully. Daja Kisubo shines extremely brightly in this book. It continues the story of
Arielle Walker
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, favourites
Small disclaimer: Daja has always been my favourite.

Not just my favourite in the series, and not just one of my favourite Tamora Piece characters, but a favourite all-time character. As a child I was so, so envious of her ability to work metal, and her skill combined with her toughness and loyalty meant I was torn between wanting to be her friend and wanting to be her.

So this full-cast audio version is simply perfect. I'm getting so addicted to these readings.

Whoever has the Overdrive copy out o
Nidofito
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty standard fare for this series. I continue to have difficulty imagining the magical workings.
Nancy
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling and emotional and wonderful. These books are amazing.
Sophie
I love all the insight we get into Trader culture in this book, and all the new characters! Daja is amazing. Don't fuck with nature. Forest fires are serious business.
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
Ugh, these audiobooks are great but they take so much longer to finish than a physical book, so by the time I'm writing the review the beginning is kinda faded.

Anyway, finally reading this series continues to be a great idea. I love how this book really delves into Daja's feelings about being isolated from her people while keeping the relationship among the four kids as a focus too. You can tell this book has really grabbed my emotional investment because I was just as upset about what might hap
Fuchsia Rascal
While Tris's Book was a little weak and closely followed the pattern of Sandry's Book, Daja's Book mixes things up and it definitely benefits from this. The group is journeying with Sandry's uncle, trying to help areas that have been hit hard by drought and failing crops. The change of scenery is extremely refreshing for this series-- we get a lot of new characters, and our main cast is bumped out of their routines from Winding Circle. The focus, obviously, is on Daja, and it delves deep into he ...more
Kayla Edwards
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Daja, Tris, Briar, and Sandry are traveling Emelan with the Duke to see what they can do about the drought and subsequent famine that is plaguing the area. During this tour, Daja runs into a group of traders - people of the culture that shunned her after her entire family died at sea. But when disaster strikes, will the Traders allow Daja to help or will their pride get in the way?

I am crazy about this entire series, it is one of my constant rereads. Daja is an amazingly courageous individual an
Kathy Davie
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, children
Third in the Circle of Magic fantasy series for young middle-grade readers and revolving around four young friends tied together by magic.

Daja's Book was nominated for the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature in 2000.

Visit KD Did It Takes on Books for a chronological listing of the books in the Circle of Magic series.

My Take
After two books of adventure, the kids are amazing together. It's teamwork and friendship as they come to a greater understanding of how the magic bond they sha
Anne
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I'd forgotten how this whole series takes place in such a short period of time. This one is only 4 months after Sandry's Book. And then if I remember correctly, 4 years pass between Briar's Book and the Circle Opens quartet.

Thoughts on relationships: for all Tamora Pierce has said that Lark and Rosethorn were together, there is SCARCE evidence of it here. Lark calls Rosethorn "Rosie" and is able to share her power with her when she won't accept anyone else's. But Rosethorn is still referred to a
Gillian Brownlee
This one had more depth than the others. The characters are maturing, and as a result, the writing is too.
Allie
Sometimes the selection of audiobooks through my library (i.e., free audiobooks) are quite limited.

Case in point.

That said, this is the third --- yes, third book I've read in this series. Why? The reviews sounded great, and I think I like Tamora Pierce. I can't remember why I think that, but I do.

It's quite possible that this is another one of those unfortunate books (as is The Raven Boys series) that lost its stars due to the narrator. I don't think it was a bad book, but when you're listeni
Jenny
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2017
:') :') :')
Emmaline Neas
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The third book in a series is always a mystery sometimes the main characters become dull and boring...other times the book series begins to reveal the mysteries of the novel...reading this one changed your prospective on Daja and her beliefs as a Trader...one of the best moments in the book is when she finally is allowed to become one of the Traders again!

The writing style is still as fabulous as book 1 and the characters developed nicely and have become more mature and realistic as they grow..
Christiana
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's a lot to learn about Trader custom and ritual in this book. Daja encounters some Traders, and has to deal with them labeling her as an unclean outcast. It's pretty rough on her, though she does get the upper hand when she accidentally creates a living iron vine that they want to purchase.

The rest of the Circle are dealing with their magics spreading to each other; Briar produces lightning, Sandry produces heat, etc. It's up to Sandry to weave a map of their magics, as she's the one who s
Whitney
Daja, Tris, Briar, Sandry, and their teachers have travelled to the Gold Ridge Mountains to see if they can help with the drought that’s been going on for three years. While there, they meet with a group of Traders. When Daja, once a Trader herself, creates something so amazing that the other Traders are willing to deal with an outcast, she has a tough choice to make. Return to the Traders, her people, or stay with the people who have become like a family to her?

Plot

Just like the previous books,
TheCosyDragon
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I originally reviewed this book on my blog - The Cosy Dragon. For more recent reviews by me, please hop over there.

Tris, Daja, Briar and Sandry are still great friends, and their magics are twining together just as well as before. Unfortunately, that means that plant mage Briar is getting sparks of lightning that kill plants, and Daja gets out of control just like Tris. Things are even more complicated by the fires threatening to spark over the region they are travelling in. Will everyone surviv
Kimikimi
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mark-reads
Alright book three. This one contines to bring the four closer but also to seperate them selves into individuals again. This one is also about belonging, but it includes loss, and change and longing for a return of what is forever gone. I guess it's also about acceptance of what's new and good because of that loss.

So this one is about Daja, and she's basically the Other in this story. Daja has a culture that's kind of based on the Romani I think, anyway they travel, and they trade, and they are
Sarah Eagle
Even though this book's structure is very similar to the previous two books - character-heavy all throughout, minimal plot that reappears and intensifies close to the end - I felt this book muddled things a bit. It bit off probably more than it could chew, trying to balance Daja's personal development with Polyam the Trader, the ever-present forest fire, the four main characters (Tris contributed very little in this book, I was a bit disappointed there), the magical imbalance and blending that l ...more
Pica
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, fiction
Daja, the third member of the Circle of Magic, was born into the Trader culture; nomadic merchants who live according to their own rules and customs. At the beginning of the series, ten-year-old Daja was the only survivor of a shipwreck which killed her entire family. Because of this, the Traders labeled her trangshi -- bad luck -- and exiled her from their culture. Because of her magic with fire and metal, Daja was brought to Winding Circle Temple, where she made new friends and began a new lif ...more
Bookbuyer
Connor
This one's my favorite of the original quartet, and it never disappoints. From the magic the four learn, to the exposure we get to Trader culture... I love EVERYTHING in this book. I love the smithing, the mixing of magics, the weaving of magics, the MAP-WEAVING OF MAGICS, the introduction to Trader culture and the respect its given, even as its shortcomings are also acknowledged--the way the four work together and with their teachers, Duke Vedris's persistent presence? Everything.

I mean, this i
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
3.75/5

So many warm, mushy feelings at the end! I'm enjoying this series more and more, and it's definitely improved a lot from the first book! The only problem I had at times was understanding/picturing the magic. I find Tris and Briar's Magic a lot easier to visualize just because they're both things that I encounter regularly, but I don't have any experience in weaving or in metalwork and that makes it difficult to understand what Sandry and Daja are doing. I also don't want to have to google
Kelsey Hanson
May 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I think Daja is my favorite one of the bunch. Not only was the story interesting, but it also had a pretty dramatic plot. On the external level, the mages need to stop a series of fires. On the internal level, Daja has to come to terms with her role among her people. The characters are well-rounded with their own strengths and weaknesses and I still feel like this series doesn't get enough credit.
Beth
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Here's where the series starts taking the threads it's set out until now and making them into really interesting stories. I liked this a lot. This is Daja's book, but it's not just her story: it really is the story of their interrelated magics, and the strange things that happen as a result. Living metal plants! Replacement limbs! Good stuff. Not particularly well-written, but good stuff nonetheless.
Kogiopsis
Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
Shelves: reviewed
The Circle books are written for a younger audience than many of Tamora Pierce's novels, but they are still excellent. Daja's Book, the third in the series, is almost an environmental message of a book. It is intense, more so than either of the volumes that precede it, and will keep readers on the edge of their seats. It seems to carry a message about forest care, but can also be respected as a good young adult book.
Katie
I always loved the 3rd book of this quarter - in part because I love Daja, but also because I loved the resolution that she reaches with her past in this book. As always, I generally love the entire group and the growth of their relationships with each other (and the way their magic works is sooo interesting!)
Maria Elmvang
Jul 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
From the worst in the series, to the best in the series, this one is definitely my favourite. I think this is better written than the others, probably because Tamora Pierce doesn't try to do as much and keep tract of as many different plot lines in this one. I enjoy reading about Daja's interaction with the traders and her work with metals and fire fascinates me.
Lindsey
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Found families!! Challenging traditions in favor of progression!! KIDS BEING KIDS BEING FAMILY
  • A Wizard Alone (Young Wizards, #6)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Half-Human
  • Wren's War (Wren, #3)
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Year of the Griffin (Derkholm, #2)
  • Song Quest (The Echorium Sequence, #1)
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
  • Forging the Sword (The Farsala Trilogy, #3)
  • The Seven Songs (Merlin Saga, #2)
  • Wolf Wing (Claidi Journals, #4)
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro
More about Tamora Pierce

Circle of Magic (4 books)
  • Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic, #1)
  • Tris's Book (Circle of Magic, #2)
  • Briar's Book (Circle of Magic, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
  • Circe
    $13.99 $4.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
“Rosethorn had gone to her room the moment Niko started to cough. Now she returned with her syrup and a firm look in her eye. "I thought you were having trouble last night. Drink this." She poured some into a cup and held it out to him.

Niko looked at it as if she offered him rotten fish. "I am fine. I am per-" He couldn't even finish the sentence for coughing.

"It's not bad," said Tris, crossing her fingers behind her back. "Really, tastes like-like mangoes."

Niko looked at her, then took the cup and downed its contents. The four watched with interest as his cheeks turned pale, then scarlet. "That's terrible (exclamation point)" he cried, his voice a thin squeak.

"Maybe I was thinking of some other syrup," Tris remarked with a straight face.”
82 likes
“Tris: "What if I don't want to cut up aloe leaves?"
Rosethorn: "Ask me if I care what you want.”
76 likes