Start by marking “Daja's Book (Circle of Magic, #3)” as Want to Read:
Daja's Book (Circle of Magic, #3)

Daja's Book

(Circle of Magic #3)

There is an alternate cover edition here.

Outcast Trader Daja, along with her fellow mages-in-training, journeys from Winding Circle to the Gold Ridge Mountains, where drought threatens widespread famine. There, Daja creates an astonishing object: a living metal vine, and Daja's dealings with her former people reawaken a longing for familiar ways.

Daja must choose - should s
Mass Market Paperback, 232 pages
Published June 24th 2006 by Scholastic (first published October 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Daja's Book, please sign up.
Emily Hathaway Your local library or Amazon. The Kindle versions pretty cheap if you have a device you can use it on.

Start your review of Daja's Book (Circle of Magic, #3)
Ashley
Daja’s Book is the third in Tamora Pierce’s children’s fantasy book series, Circle of Magic. I was previously classifying this as young adult, but this book has firmly set my mind on the subject. At the end of these books, I keep wanting more from them. More development. More sophistication. More actual content (they’re very short). More time spent (they take place over very short periods of time). And I finally decided, basically just about five minutes ago, that the expectations I was placing ...more
Arielle Walker
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, favourites
Small disclaimer: This is possibly the most subjective review I've written. Also Daja has always been my favourite.

Not just my favourite in the series, and not just one of my favourite Tamora Piece characters, but a favourite all-time character. As a child I was so, so envious of her ability to work metal, and her skill combined with her toughness and loyalty meant I was torn between wanting to be her friend and wanting to be her.

So this full-cast audio version is simply perfect. I'm getting so
Rachel
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book. The only reason it's four stars instead of five stars is because I didn't connect at all with some of the magic used here- there are times of the kids being magically away from their bodies, and that completely takes me out of the experience of the book.

But that is literally my only complaint. Tamora Pierce does yet another fantastic job of writing young heroines realistically and powerfully. Daja Kisubo shines extremely brightly in this book. It continues the story of
Andy
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
This book definitely had an emphasis on Daja and I really enjoyed it. I've liked Daja ever since I first met her and I'm glad she finally got the chance to talk to another trader part of a caravan. I think she really grew a lot in this book and the ending made me so happy for her.

This book has the kids out on an adventure trying to help parts of the country with Sandry's Uncle the Duke. They get into a far bit of mischief but they do manage to help some, especially since they have unique gifts a
Nidofito
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty standard fare for this series. I continue to have difficulty imagining the magical workings.
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
2020 Review: Still love how much we learn about the traders in this book! I like that there are really solid differences between trader culture and dominant Emelan culture, it's not just skin-deep. So many books will have a people who lives on the road but completely fail to develop them as their own culture, but this book doesn't do that.

I wish we got to see Daja make more living metal plants in the future, because that's also a really cool part of this book.

2018 Review: Ugh, these audiobooks a
Katie
I always loved the 3rd book of this quarter - in part because I love Daja, but also because I loved the resolution that she reaches with her past in this book. As always, I generally love the entire group and the growth of their relationships with each other (and the way their magic works is so interesting!)
Nancy
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling and emotional and wonderful. These books are amazing.
Sophie
I love all the insight we get into Trader culture in this book, and all the new characters! Daja is amazing. Don't fuck with nature. Forest fires are serious business.
Fuchsia Rascal
While Tris's Book was a little weak and closely followed the pattern of Sandry's Book, Daja's Book mixes things up and it definitely benefits from this. The group is journeying with Sandry's uncle, trying to help areas that have been hit hard by drought and failing crops. The change of scenery is extremely refreshing for this series-- we get a lot of new characters, and our main cast is bumped out of their routines from Winding Circle. The focus, obviously, is on Daja, and it delves deep into he ...more
Kayla Edwards
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Daja, Tris, Briar, and Sandry are traveling Emelan with the Duke to see what they can do about the drought and subsequent famine that is plaguing the area. During this tour, Daja runs into a group of traders - people of the culture that shunned her after her entire family died at sea. But when disaster strikes, will the Traders allow Daja to help or will their pride get in the way?

I am crazy about this entire series, it is one of my constant rereads. Daja is an amazingly courageous individual an
Ceillie Simkiss
Mar 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mcs-of-color
This was my favorite when I was younger, but holy ableism, Batman.
Kathy Davie
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fantasy
Third in the Circle of Magic fantasy series for young middle-grade readers and revolving around four young friends tied together by magic.

Daja's Book was nominated for the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature in 2000.

Visit KD Did It Takes on Books for a chronological listing of the books in the Circle of Magic series.

My Take
After two books of adventure, the kids are amazing together. It's teamwork and friendship as they come to a greater understanding of how the magic bond they sha
Anne
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I'd forgotten how this whole series takes place in such a short period of time. This one is only 4 months after Sandry's Book. And then if I remember correctly, 4 years pass between Briar's Book and the Circle Opens quartet.

Thoughts on relationships: for all Tamora Pierce has said that Lark and Rosethorn were together, there is SCARCE evidence of it here. Lark calls Rosethorn "Rosie" and is able to share her power with her when she won't accept anyone else's. But Rosethorn is still referred to a
Natalie
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so goooooddddd <33

This book picks up with Daja, Briar, Tris and Sandry in a northern area of Emelan, a place that is currently suffering from a three-year drought and some potentially nasty grass fires (which may turn into a forest fire...) and essentially get to learn more about themselves and their magic, while assisting with the area under threat.

The focus on Daja was clear in this one (the book title made sense, yay!) as we got to learn a lot of Daja's history as a trader, and also
Gillian Brownlee
This one had more depth than the others. The characters are maturing, and as a result, the writing is too.
Allie
Sometimes the selection of audiobooks through my library (i.e., free audiobooks) are quite limited.

Case in point.

That said, this is the third --- yes, third book I've read in this series. Why? The reviews sounded great, and I think I like Tamora Pierce. I can't remember why I think that, but I do.

It's quite possible that this is another one of those unfortunate books (as is The Raven Boys series) that lost its stars due to the narrator. I don't think it was a bad book, but when you're listeni
Kogiopsis
Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
Shelves: reviewed
The Circle books are written for a younger audience than many of Tamora Pierce's novels, but they are still excellent. Daja's Book, the third in the series, is almost an environmental message of a book. It is intense, more so than either of the volumes that precede it, and will keep readers on the edge of their seats. It seems to carry a message about forest care, but can also be respected as a good young adult book.
Jameyanne Fuller
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great third book in this series. I loved leaving Winding Circle and discovering more of this world. I also loved learning more about Daja's and also Frostpine's pasts. Daja has a particularly compelling journey, because not only is she confronted with her old people, who banished her, but she is also confronted with the more dangerous side of fire, which she has worked with as part of her magic every day since coming to Winding Circle. An excellent read, again.
Alex Black
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I finally feel like one of the books in this quartet hit what I wanted. This book also has a big disaster the four kids must fight (forest fires), but unlike in the other books, it doesn't take over the whole story. Their teachers aren't saying we don't have time to teach you because of xyz thing. The forest fires are constantly going on, but also don't affect them directly for a lot of the book.

Because we're not focused on that, it actually gives them time to develop their relationships and the
Emmaline Neas
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The third book in a series is always a mystery sometimes the main characters become dull and boring...other times the book series begins to reveal the mysteries of the novel...reading this one changed your prospective on Daja and her beliefs as a Trader...one of the best moments in the book is when she finally is allowed to become one of the Traders again!

The writing style is still as fabulous as book 1 and the characters developed nicely and have become more mature and realistic as they grow..
Kristen
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Daja is such a fierce character I forget how her background is such a factor of her personality. This is truly her story in her magic bringing forward a question of who she was and who she now is. Pierce is a master of crafting deep characters who you will root for and feel for. I loved the full cast audio and can not wait for the next book.
Hope
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love how much and how easy it is to connect with each character in their titular book, even if they are not always the center of attention all the time. Daja absolutely shines in this book, and I really and truly felt connected to her struggles. Loved this installment!
Ciara
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lmao I decided to listen to this at work instead of finishing Tin Man because I knew Tin Man would def make me cry at my desk but GUESS WHO STILL NEEDED TO SIT IN A BATHROOM STALL TO CHILL TF OUT AFTER DAJA WAS RE-ACCEPTED AND POLYAM GOT HER LEG?? THIS WEEPY BITCH
Whitney
Daja, Tris, Briar, Sandry, and their teachers have travelled to the Gold Ridge Mountains to see if they can help with the drought that’s been going on for three years. While there, they meet with a group of Traders. When Daja, once a Trader herself, creates something so amazing that the other Traders are willing to deal with an outcast, she has a tough choice to make. Return to the Traders, her people, or stay with the people who have become like a family to her?

Plot

Just like the previous books,
Rebecca
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
An old favorite.
Natalie
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written. I think I enjoyed it more this time around.
TheCosyDragon
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I originally reviewed this book on my blog - The Cosy Dragon. For more recent reviews by me, please hop over there.

Tris, Daja, Briar and Sandry are still great friends, and their magics are twining together just as well as before. Unfortunately, that means that plant mage Briar is getting sparks of lightning that kill plants, and Daja gets out of control just like Tris. Things are even more complicated by the fires threatening to spark over the region they are travelling in. Will everyone surviv
Kimikimi
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mark-reads
Alright book three. This one contines to bring the four closer but also to seperate them selves into individuals again. This one is also about belonging, but it includes loss, and change and longing for a return of what is forever gone. I guess it's also about acceptance of what's new and good because of that loss.

So this one is about Daja, and she's basically the Other in this story. Daja has a culture that's kind of based on the Romani I think, anyway they travel, and they trade, and they are
Sarah Eagle
Even though this book's structure is very similar to the previous two books - character-heavy all throughout, minimal plot that reappears and intensifies close to the end - I felt this book muddled things a bit. It bit off probably more than it could chew, trying to balance Daja's personal development with Polyam the Trader, the ever-present forest fire, the four main characters (Tris contributed very little in this book, I was a bit disappointed there), the magical imbalance and blending that l ...more

• Artemis Fowl Collection 8 Books Set (Artemis Fowl / Time Paradox / Atlantis Complex / Opal Deception / Arctic Incident / Eternity Code / Lost Colony & The Last Guardian)
  • ワンパンマン 20 [Wanpanman 20] (Onepunch-Man, #20)
  • 달빛 조각사 9 (The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, #9)
  • Home: Habitat, Range, Niche, Territory (The Murderbot Diaries #4.5)
  • King's League: An Epic LitRPG Adventure
  • A Snake's Life
  • Shadowbound (Ghostlight Academy, #1)
  • Starfire Angels (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles, #1)
  • When Angels Cry (Starfire Angels )
  • Once Upon a Fling (Be-Wished, #1)
  • Amber Moon (Moon Trilogy, Part II)
  • Broken Wings (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles, #2)
  • Bloodlust & Initiation (Vampire Beach, #1-2)
  • Sleeping Handsome (Sleeping Handsome, #1)
  • Silver Moon (Moon Trilogy Part III)
  • Vampire Beach: Volume 2 (Vampire Beach, #3-4)
  • Black Moon (Moon Trilogy Part I)
  • Deadly Fall (The 19th Precinct, #1)
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro

Circle of Magic (4 books)
  • Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic, #1)
  • Tris's Book (Circle of Magic, #2)
  • Briar's Book (Circle of Magic, #4)