Start by marking “Tris's Book (Circle of Magic, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tris's Book (Circle of Magic, #2)

Tris's Book

(Circle of Magic #2)

Earthquake damage leaves Winding Circle vulnerable to pirate attack, so everyone - including the young mages-in-training Tris, Briar, Daja, and Sandry - is working to strengthen the community's defenses. When Tris's cousin Aymery comes to visit, he advises the "weather witch" to return to the family that exiled her, but she doesn't wish to leave her friends to face the thr ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 251 pages
Published June 24th 2006 by Scholastic (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Tris's Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tris's Book

Julie
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm getting fonder of this series as it goes on. I like the characters - I usually do when it comes to Tamora Pierce books. Not only that, but the writing is so smooth that it fades into the background. So many YA books these days have such awkward writing, with awkward sentence structure or poor word choices and it's downright distracting. I never have that problem with this author.

Here's my favorite part of these books, though. Tamora Pierce can create a world where gender equality and racial
Fran
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always love this series. I'd hesitate to say more than the Tortall books, because they're so different, but there's something both beautiful and brutal about these books that both heals and hurts. Reading through this one with the Mark Reads community was especially hard at the moment, because of the family themes that it explores for Tris and the discussions that came up on one particular post about dysfunctional families. Still, the way the relationships that are formed in these books are so ...more
Nidofito
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Still pretty interesting and I love the kids and their teachers. The workings of magic need a little concentration to conceptualize.
Kathy Davie
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, fantasy
Second in the Circle of Magic fantasy series for young middle-grade readers and revolving around the four young mages we met in Sandry's Circle , 1. It's also the second in the overall Emelan series.

It's been two months since Sandry's Circle.

My Take
Trisana learns more about her magic: why she hears voices.

Mmm, I'm uncomfortable with the comment Frostpine makes about black people. It smacks too much of bigotry for me, even if Frostpine is a black person.

Pierce reminds us to not judge a book by i
Andrea
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
Tris's Book picks up after the giant earthquake in Sandry's book. We seen that the four kids have grown in their magical powers and Tris in particularly is still haunted by the earthquake. However, they don't have much time to think about that since new dangers are threatening Winding Circle.

I liked seeing Tris develop a relationship with her cousin. She still has scars from how her family treated her and I think talking to Aymery helped heal some of them. The rest have been healed by finding h
Nancy
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Why wasn't I reading these books when I was a goat kid? Oh, right, because they were published after I was in college and stuff. Still, they're great, and I'm really enjoying them a lot. BRING ON DAJA!
Natalie
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book picked up shortly after the conclusion of the last one, with our four main characters dealing a little with the aftermath (and the nightmares). It's pretty interesting that the children seem to be getting 'wound together', now being able to speak to each other with their minds - potentially a side effect from Sandry's weaving (when they were underground with the earthquake).

I loved that we essentially got a new animal companion in this one, with the addition of a baby starling - thoug
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
I don't know why this book is so hard to review for me. When I think about it I can trace the plot in my mind pretty easily, but when I don't pay extra attention to trying to keep it straight, somehow it all blurs together into one blob. I don't know what about the book makes that happen in my head, but I don't think it reflects well on it.

Tris definitely got more development in this book, but I feel like the attention the other kids got was more superficial. We see a lot of them learning to wor
Shelby
Tris was so great in this book. I love her powers. The quartet are getting closer to each other and growing as friends and into themselves as young adults. With a pirate attack appearing on the coast it throws everyone and everything into chaos.

Each of the kids grows a little bit in this book, finding new parts of their powers. But I've always liked Tris from the beginning. I like that she's a storm mage. I've always been fascinated by thunder and lightning. I love that lightning sparks along on
Got My Book
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Also posted on my blog Got My Book.

This MG Fantasy doesn't shrink from the truth about Pirates.

BOOK DETAILS:
Tris's Book by Tamora Pierce, read & published by Full Cast Audio (2004) / Length: 5 hrs 31 min

SERIES INFO:
This is Book #2 of 4 in the original "Circle of Magic" series, all of which are available on audio. There are also additional books (only some of which are on audio) with the same characters.

**This review may contain spoilers for the previous book.**

SUMMARY:
One of the things I
Gillian Brownlee
A fun, mostly light story. They dealt with harder things in this book, like the consequences of Tris losing control of her powers. But in the end, good always wins, bad always gets what it deserves. Looking forward to continuing the re-read of this series!
Shelly Schulz
I wanted so very badly to like this as much as I like everything else Pierce puts out. It's just that this...felt so much like the latter half of Wild Magic by Pierce, that I couldn't like it. The attack on a safe location by pirates, and the younger generation having to help out more than they should. Tris also reminds me very much of Daine, the heroine of the Wild Magic series.

It's not that this book is a bad book, it's decent. But that's all it is to me. Decent. At the end of this book you on
Ashley
Didn't like this one as much as the first one. It felt a little rushed, and it didn't have the advantage of introducing the world and the characters. Beginning stories are always my favorite. It did have much more of a clear focus on its main character this time (Tris, obviously). Mostly, though, the thing with the pirates felt a little manufactured, and because it was also feeling rushed at the time, I don't think there was enough emphasis on the kids really feeling the consequences of their ac ...more
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, to-sort
Dirty pirates! Filthy jishen! I love the depth of language that Tamora adds into all her books. I've learned quite a few "trader" words.

Tris really grows as a character in this book. I love that the children are starting to realize the danger of their immense power!

Edit: added detail!

I hate Amery for hurting Tris! I rarely understand people like him who are willing to hurt others to personal or/and monetary gain.

I'm still impressed with how much the children's powers have grown and potentially
Kelsey Hanson
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Personally, I think that Tris is one of the most believable characters in this series. She has very real and believable insecurities and acts out just like a teenager would do at that age. That being said, she's not my favorite character because she is so prickly. Still the plot of this one was a bit more complex than the previous novel with an actual enemy to fight against. The characters are interesting and well developed and overall it's an enjoyable read.
Beth
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I forgot how quickly these go. But that's a good thing here: Pierce is her best when she's less verbose. In fact, the blunter she is, the better; she can do more with actions and speech than with descriptions.

Tris's Book is good - things are coming together more. The novel is still open-ended and clearly just one part of a series, but there's enough of a complete story in it to make it feel satisfying.
Inoli
This series so far could be a solid 3-1/2 or come in at above a 4. Ms. Pierce's story telling style here could involve some discussion, which of course I'm not going to be able to do at this moment. I found it very different from her Tortall series, which I devoured. I like it. I'll finish the various series.
Connor
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WHOOPS I read this all in one go, literally no one is surprised \_(ツ)_/

(On a more serious note: I love how Tammy makes these four kids face consequences. Also, it's so fun to go back to this "just learning everything" phase of their lives? They're always learning, of course, but it's so NEW to them in this quartet.)
Katie
Loved this book, still love this book, honestly think I enjoy the Circle of Magic books more than the Tortall series. Briar makes me laugh and I adore Sandry + Tris is BAMF (so is Daja for that matter).
Magali
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tris would have had a Livejournal AND a Myspace that auto-played all the emo hits of the 00's. Love her.
Natalie
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I only read the first few chapters and the last few chapters as a teen because I totally called the plot twist and just wanted to confirm that I was right. Now, though, I think teen me was missing the point because the lovely thing about these books is how quiet and slice-of-life-y they are, even when the plot is focused on a pirate attack.

However, I will never stop being annoyed that Nino and Honored Moonstream, whose intended romance (?!) was cut for space, get a cheek kiss, while all Lark and
Michael Campbell
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Well written with solid characters and an interesting world that's very well developed. It's a very solid YA, and this book did improve from the first one which felt a bit disjointed. Now that we have a grasp of the characters and the world, the author is focusing more on the story and character development. It's cute and definitely worth a read!
XPHAIEA.
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1990s, childrens, fantasy
Tris attempts to master her weather-witch skills and saves the circle from invading pirates who threaten the tranquility of the Winding Circle Temple Community, acting as surrogate mother to an orphaned starling along the way. Another charming and engaging book from Pierce, which has a slightly more mature feel than the Alanna or Daine series.
Beth
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great choice for a long car ride. The newcomers to the story had no problem starting with the second book, and we enjoyed the extra audio effects, although road noise made the whispers hard to decipher.
Jamie
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series is growing on me! I really like the characters and how different they are.
Sophie
BIRB. BABBY BIRB.

"I love me." I love you too, Briar. And I love these kids. Like some of Pierce's series, the second book has more of a plot than the first, with an actual Sinister Plan in the works and also the invention of gunpowder. There is much delicious magic. And a birb.
Josie
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, magic, fantasy
I set this series aside a while back...but returned to it. It's good but doesn't shine like my Pierce favorites.
Emy
After the earthquake that forced them to weave their powers together, the four's powers are growing. There is no time for them to explore, however. Pirates have come to Winding Circle, and the four must work together to save their home.

This book, the second in the series, definitely has more plot than the first. Much less time has to be spent on background story and, as such, Tamora Pierce can dive right into the tale. It picks off where the first book left off, and is stronger for it.

Of course,
Dione Basseri
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
The young mages go to war. In the aftermath of a major earthquake, pirates have some to raid Winding Circle, intending to take the mages as valuable slaves. The four children of Discipline Cottage, with a particular focus on Tris, gather their magic together to help in the defenses and eventual battles. Tris gets a chance to face down many demons from her past, including the family who didn't seem to care for her until she showed herself valuable as a mage. Valuable in the worst way.

I think I re
Becky
My actual rating is 3.5 stars.

I was so disappointed with Sandry's Book that I wasn't looking forward to reading this at all, but out of loyalty to Tamora Pierce, I wanted to continue on and give the series another shot. And I'm so glad I did! This book was fun and exciting, and with Tris being one of my favorite characters (along with Briar), I was glad to see so much of the focus on her.

I loved the action of this book. From page one, stuff was happening, and we were just along for the ride. A b

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Wizard's Holiday
  • The Crown of Dalemark (The Dalemark Quartet, #4)
  • Half-Human
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • The Dragon Book: Magical Tales from the Masters of Modern Fantasy
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • The Waterless Sea
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro

Circle of Magic (4 books)
  • Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic, #1)
  • Daja's Book (Circle of Magic, #3)
  • Briar's Book (Circle of Magic, #4)
“Frostpine made a face. Lifting the cup, he dumped its contents down his throat. “Auugghh!” he yelled, his voice stronger than it had been since his return from the harbor. "Are you trying to kill me, woman?"

"If I mean to kill someone, I do it," Rosethorn told him. "I don't try.”
143 likes
“He doesn't need my help coming up with pranks. He's got too many ideas of his own.
- Daja referring to Briar in their first year at Discipline cottage”
39 likes