Start by marking “Night Prey (Lucas Davenport, #6)” as Want to Read:
Night Prey (Lucas Davenport, #6)

Night Prey (Lucas Davenport #6)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  13,879 Ratings  ·  297 Reviews
Porsche-driving Lucas Davenport, who has just returned to duty after recovering from a serious gunshot wound, is charged with saving the political life of Rose Marie Roux, the ambitious police chief who has her eye on a Senate seat. He's given the assignment of tracking to ground the sex-crazed perpetrator of a series of murders of young women. Davenport's unwelcome collea ...more
Audio CD, 12 pages
Published 1995 by Recorded Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Night Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Prey

Kemper
Unlike most of the Prey books, this one starts out with a man in love. Unfortunately, Koop is a cat burglar with severe psycho-sexual problems that cause him to occasionally kidnap a woman and gut her like a fish. So when he sees beautiful Sara Jensen sleeping during one his break-ins, Koop instantly becomes obsessed and begins secretly stalking her while taking out his building frustration on random women.

A Minnesota state investigator named Meagan Connell has picked up on Koop’s pattern. Since
James Thane
As is often the case in this series, Lucas Davenport, the police detective protagonist, is confronted by a particularly clever and chilling antagonist. Here it's a creep named Koop who, over a long period of time, has been kidnapping and savagely killing women in several jurisdictions around the greater Minneapolis area.

Since Koop has operated over a large geographic area, no one has tumbled to the fact that a serial killer is at work. Finally a somewhat abrasive feminist Minnesota State Investi
Tim
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent story featuring Sanford's homicide detective Lucas Davenport on the heels of butchering cat burglar. 9 of 10 stars
Deana M
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Koop was a prison guard. Koop is a muscled machine. Koop is addicted to cocaine. Koop is addicted to Sara Jensen. Koop is a serial killer. Lucas Davenport is called in when a woman is found disemboweled in a dumpster. He teams up with Meagan Connell who is given 6 months maybe to live. She has worked serial cases before and has an awesome closing rate. Her and Davenport do not see eye to eye on the way they should work the case, but somehow they make it work. With Connell dying from cancer, she ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
GR readers, I salute you. I finished 'Night Prey', loved it and the pure GOTH of it, went to GR to add it to my book lists - and got blown away by all of the terrific reviews. I've spent a delicious morning reading them. Wow.

Lucas Davenport is on the police force once again, having been appointed Deputy Chief by Rose Marie Roux, the new police Chief in Minneapolis. Weather Karkinnen, the surgeon he met in the last book, is more than a girlfriend to him at this point, but as usual, Davenport is h
Mike
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another trip for me through the Lucas Davenport universe. Lucas is asked by the Chief to look into a detective's claim that a serial killer is operating in the Minneapolis area. The culprit cruises book store readings and looks for a specific female type: lonely and needy.

Davenport uses his web of contacts to gather facts, and coping with the dysfunction of two team members, one struggling with an illness, and one going through the motions of police work. Throw in a beautiful, flirting TV newswo
Marleen
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m truly enjoying reading the whole Prey series from the beginning. I read some of these in the past - but most not. So I'm (re)-)familiarising myself with Lucas Davenport’s investigations and with his career arch. I also enjoy how he’s has evolved and grown in his personal life.
Night Prey is book nr 6 and we find Lucas returned to the fold of the Minneapolis Police department as deputy chief. Before returning, Lucas had been on hiatus, focusing more on his computer simulations business and al
Monnie
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another excellent addition to Sanford's "Prey" series - but it nearly didn't get read by me. As a writer/editor myself (albeit always nonfiction), I'm hyper-sensitive to analogies; they make my stomach churn faster than a hamster on a wheel at full gallop. And within the first chapter-and-a-half of this book, here's what hit me between the eyes:

Nighthawks...their wing-flashes like the silver bars on new first-lieutenants

...petunias spread across their beds like Mennonite quilts

Hate burne
Maureen DeLuca
Night Prey is the sixth in the Prey series . We are introduced to the killer, Koop, at the opening. Koop is your standard killer who had a horrible childhood and is now taking it out on women. Koop has a few unique characteristics such as picking out victims at used book stores because they are usually timid and shy.

I have to say- this was not one of my favorite reads- and even though I wasn't all that crazy about this one story- I am not crazy about Davenport's newest girlfriend either!

On to n
Eric_W
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is sixth in the series, written by John Camp under the Sandford pseudonym. I prefer the earlier Lucas Davenports to the later ones. Sandford’s other series, I like even better, especially Virgil Flowers, which has a special brand of humor. The Kidd series suffers from being quite dated technically, when read today, but were excellent when I read them several years (decades?) ago.

It’s a good story, although I found Conley’s terminal disease to be implausible in the context of her actions
Yolanda
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucas Davenport is on the hunt for Koop, an exceptionally brutal serial killer. He got the case thanks to Megan Connell, a grating woman that is dying and determined to solve the case sooner than later. Davenport is starting to mature in his romantic relationship (at least for this book!). This was a great addition to the series.
Nancy
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Davenport is settling down somewhat with Weather, and accepts a position working with the Minneapolis police department. He has to work with abrasive colleagues and use all his sly detecting skills to lure and capture a sadistic killer.
Steve
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this one before but could not remember how it ended. With this one, you know exactly who the bad guy is, but you have to wait as Lucas and friends work it out.
Kathy Davie
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Sixth in the Lucas Davenport thriller series set in Minneapolis and revolving around the reinstated Detective Davenport. It’s been two years since Lucas was forced to quit.

My Take
Gotta give Sandford credit for this twist: a detective who’s fired, goes off to build his successful gaming company, and comes back to work. Most people would think (including me) that Davenport would be happy enough creating his games and being a millionaire, but Sandford provides a credible reason --- and one that I s
Bryan
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Night Prey is the sixth in the Prey series, which I am reading in order. This one is a solid read, a good ending helped made the story. On to the next.
wally
May 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sandford
i've read a few from sanford...what number this one is i'd have to look at the shelf. glanced at one review said something about 'koop is a prison guard...' this that the other. heh...i just finished Swan Peak from James Lee Burke and in that one there is a prison guard....troyce nix...i wonder how this story will stack up alongside burke's?

begins:

the night was warm, the twilight inviting: middle-aged couples in pastel shirts, holding hands, strolled the old cracked sidewalks along the mississip
Peter
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-thriller
“Night Prey” is the sixth of John Sandford’s twenty-four novels about Lucas Davenport, an investigator for the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. And it is the best, fastest paced, and most compelling I’ve read in the series.

Lucas is assigned to a murder and Connell, another investigator, is assigned as his partner. Connell is obsessed with the idea that a serial killer is at work killing women in different jurisdictions so as to create a jurisdictional vacuum—nobody will put the dead bo
Piker7977
Lucas Davenport is on the trail of a perverted cat burglar who also moonlights as a Midwestern serial killer ... Be prepared to turn some pages.

Compared the previous books in the series Night Prey is middle of the road. It features the creative dual narrative that bounces from Davenport to the villain. This works very well in some sections but I think it takes away from potential maximum suspense. The creeps from the Prey series would be a lot scarier if the reader wasn't exposed to all of the i
Brent Soderstrum
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 6th book of Sandford's Lucas Davenport series.

In this one Davenport is teamed up with Megan Connell who is convinced that the killer is responsible for many murders of woman over the years throughout the Midwest. Connell is also dying of cancer and is determined to get the killer before she dies.

As in most Sandford novels, we know who the killer is. Koop is s former prison guard turned cat burglar who has a thing about slicing up his victims. He is also now infatuated with Sara Jense
Ed
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: law-enforcement
#6 is a transitional novel in the Lucas Davenport saga (2012 sees #21). He has been bounced from the Minneapolis PD by the old chief but has been brought in as a political appointee - assistant chief - by the new chief Anne Marie Roux to be her hatchet man. Roux is the consummate politicial and Davenport is perfectly suited, tempermentally, to his role. (If Roux were Nixon - he'd still be President)

Lucas Davenport series - Charged with saving the political life of Rose Marie Roux, he's given the
Derek
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd taken a break from the Lucas Davenport series after WINTER PREY, because I was feeling a little burned out by the character. I decided to give the series another try, and, as it turns out, NIGHT PREY is one of the strongest in the series so far.

As usual, Davenport is called on to catch a killer, but this killer is much better developed than several previous ones in the series, and Sandford's attempts to let readers see things through his eyes were more successful than in earlier entries.

Even
Ryk Stanton
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't ever read any of the books in the Prey series, you really should. This is the sixth book and so far is probably my favorite. Start with _Rules of Prey_ and tell me what you think.

In this book, the character of Lucas Davenport finally settles into my head the right way. The killer is properly depraved. There is a locked room mystery that has a satisfying end and runs as a subplot to the main narrative. I like the way Sandford teases me as a reader to try to figure out what's what a
Chuck
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you have finished the thirty-sixth book of one author it seems senseless to say how much you enjoy his writing or even to interject anything new into a review. This book had Sandford's main character, Lucas Davenport at his brashest best and introduced a villain that typified the dark side of humanity. Thus the plot! But Sandford tied this one altogether very well with his cast of characters and a few unusual new faces that filled in very well. Needless to say, I have two more Sandford nove ...more
John Culuris
The sixth Lucas Davenport novel and the first that wasn’t a complete success. The core story was of the quality I have come to expect but there was an offshoot to the investigation that was pure filler. I can forgive it because of Sandford’s other strengths. Davenport is forced to partner with a female investigator who is (view spoiler). How she deals with her problem and how Davenport relates to her throughout the process--while conducting an extremely public inve ...more
Kaye
This was the only prey book that I haven't liked. As a matter of fact, 2/3 of the way through I began skimming. Koop was kind of a dull criminal, and Lucas' wishy-washy thoughts about whether he wanted to stray from Weather were boring and predictable. Hopefully, the next book will be up to usual standards.
Eve Nolon
More like 3 1/2 stars. Very enjoyable with a lot of gender nuance that I rarely see. I continue to love Weather and I hope she gets more time in the next few books. I also really like Meagan Connell; it was extremely refreshing to see Lucas working with a woman whom he wasn't attracted to.
D.B. Reynolds
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this book recently, and discovered I enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time. It had been several years, and while I remembered many of the details, that didn't take away at all from my enjoyment of the book. John Sandford's Prey series is excellent.
ElaineY
Unimpressed with this one and 24 hours later, I can hardly recall what it's about except that the killer is called Koop.
Susan
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stayed up too late to finish it. Super repulsive bad guy, if you're into that sort of thing.
Vaelin
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid part of the Prey series. Good show Mr Sandford!
  • Dead Prey
  • Free Fall (Elvis Cole, #4)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • Copper River (Cork O'Connor, #6)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • The Big Law (Phil Broker, #2)
  • Playmates (Spenser, #16)
  • Live Bait (Monkeewrench, #2)