Start by marking “Sly Moves: My Proven Program to Lose Weight, Build Strength, Gain Will Power, and Live your Dream” as Want to Read:

Are you ready to be a contender? Sylvester Stallone's action–oriented program for getting fit and eating right is also a revealing portrait of one of Hollywood's biggest stars.

Sly Moves is more than just a handbook on fitness and nutrition. It's a provocative and candid inside look at the trials and triumphs of one of Hollywood's most famous stars. Throughout his career, S
Published May 10th 2005 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Sly Moves, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Courtney
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
So there are three different sections to this book, all quite different from each other.

The first section is a short biography, which covers Stallone's life from birth to the time this book was written (around 2005). It's more of an over-view than an in-depth account, but this is easily the most readable part of the book. He's led quite an interesting life, and I found it quite easy to read and become engrossed in despite not being a fan of his work. (Not that I dislike it, I've just never seen
Jessica
Nov 18, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 300 lb weaklings
Shelves: phys-ed
I'm taking a break from running (my acupuncturist told me I have to work on my yin, and running is bad for that), and this lack of exercise has been making me very cranky. I've been casting around for something else to do with myself physically, and when I saw this book at the library, I figured who better than Sly Stallone to provide me with the inspiration I need to follow my dreams and become a muscular, right-wing killing machine?

Really this is a self-help book, with an emphasis on fitness,
Dirk Grobbelaar
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly user-friendly book that covers weight training and nutrition. Stallone seems like a likeable enough fellow too. Not recommended for hardcore bodybuilders though (to the hardcore I'll recommend something like The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding: The Bible of Bodybuilding, Fully Updated and Revised).

This book should appeal to anyone who has at least hefted dumbbells before in their life, and is looking to give it another go. Something I especially appreciated about the book
Melody
Apr 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Leslie
Recommended to Melody by: Myself
I have bought 2 copies of this book. I read it once in 2006, and now again that I had my second baby. I love this book! Sylvester Stallone has designed a 3 hour a week workout routine to tone and shape the body. It is a lot more acheivable than a lot of things out there. He knows what he is talking about. Excellent read!
Paul Kyriazi
I was disapointed Stallone didn't read the audio-book. Still it has some good stories about making 'Rocky' his lifestyle and training tips.
Andy Nieradko
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great read if you love Sly. However, I think the training advice asks a little much of most bodies. Definitely worth reading, though, if just for the cool stories.
Samantha Rizzo
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m a big fan of Sly but I do have some issues with this book.

Overall, it’s mostly just outdated by this point. We have learned more about nutrition and fitness in the time since it was published, so that much of the information he shares is flat out wrong, or entirely opinion.

He does make a lot of important points nutrition-wise, condemning fad diets like Atkins and things like cutting carbohydrates, but in the same paragraph he will say that plant based protein is ineffective and only meat pr
Britt Echols
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed how Sly broke the book into 3 sections. The first was a little bit about him and his background. I really enjoyed how he talked about his different training methods for his different movies. The 2nd section was about exercise which has great workouts for all types of people. The 3rd section was on nutrition, lots of good info. Highly recommend if you are trying to loose some weight.
Jeff Grosser
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved learning about Sly's life and stories about his most famous movies. The book also contains very simple self-help plans for everyone. I enjoyed this book very much.
Fiona
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sly is so positive, upbeat and amazing! He keeps it simple with good advise and basic fundamentals.
Michael Spiro
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good for some biographical info on sly, but the workout is pretty basic, for beginners. It will not get you into Rocky shape.
Luis Martinez
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, biographies
Inspiring!
Pat
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I can't say that I actually read this book. The reality is I studied this book. I devoured this book. I found the information provided by Stallone to be gold. Stallone has some great behind the scenes stories from Rocky, Rambo and other films. He details what he eats every day and has a great breakdown of workouts. I was able to tailor a workout and diet for myself from this book and lose over 100 lbs in two years. I still pick up this book from time to time and go over my workouts and add in so ...more
Tom
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was good for his personal stories and maybe some inspiration if you are looking for some, but the actual diet and exercise information is nothing new for anyone who has read any kind of books on health before.
Jimmy Ferneyhough
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Awesome read 1.1.2010
Trace
Dec 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: health-fitness
pretty good easy to understand food and exercise. I will be referring back to this when needed!
Mckinley
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: health, sport, biography
Nothing new about the workout and nutrition. Interesting about his approach to body for movie roles - ROcky and Rambo in particular.
Brian
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Read it for the personal anecdotes behind his movie career. I enjoyed the stories concerning his career, but had little interest in the rest.
Aleahchurchill
Jan 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Read this on an airplane. Kind of good actually, half work out method, half autobiography. He's a funny guy.
Atchisson
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Neat book, but somehow he fails to mention the fact that HGH was almost as responsible for his look as his challenging workout regimen....
Rob
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved it, but I have been a SLY fan for many years. A very entertaining read.
Lola
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Richard
This guy simply inspires me when it comes to physical health.
Clare Walker
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love him. Skipped over a majority of the exercises section as it’s mostly aimed at men, but it’s overall a simple, logical and inspiring book. Such a hero.
Steff

• Managing Ignatius: The Lunacy of Lucky Dogs and Life in New Orleans
  • Edie Factory Girl
  • Letters from New Orleans
  • Feet on the Street: Rambles Around New Orleans
  • The Peasants: Autumn (Peasants, #1)
  • a
  • Factory Made: Warhol and the Sixties
  • Everything: A Book About Manic Street Preachers
  • The World's Best Street Food: Where to find it and how to make it (General Pictorial)
  • Famous for 15 Minutes: My Years with Andy Warhol
  • Irena Sendler and the Children of the Warsaw Ghetto
  • Swimming Underground: My Years in the Warhol Factory
  • Confessions of an English Opium-Eater & Other Writings
  • Edie: Girl on Fire
  • Evernote for Dummies
  • The Practical Encyclopedia of Feng Shui: Understanding the Ancient Arts of Placement
Sylvester Gardenzio Stallone is an American actor, director, producer and screenwriter. One of the biggest box office draws in the world from the '70s to the '90s, international megastar Sylvester Stallone is a global icon. He has played two characters who have become a part of the American cultural lexicon: Rocky Balboa, the boxer who overcame all odds to fight for love and glory, and John Rambo, ...more
“Consider the source...Don't be a fool by listening to a fool.” 24 likes