Start by marking “A Place Called Here” as Want to Read:
A Place Called Here

A Place Called Here

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  28,869 ratings  ·  1,754 reviews
Als Sandy Shortt zehn Jahre alt ist, verschwindet ein Mädchen aus ihrer Klasse. Seit dieser Zeit sucht sie leidenschaftlich nach allem, was vermisst wird: nach Socken, Schlüsseln und später auch nach Menschen. In ihrer Suchagentur macht sie Angehörigen Mut, denn sie gibt niemals auf. Doch als Sandy den Auftrag bekommt, den Bruder von Jack Ruttle wiederzufinden, verirrt sie ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by HarperCollins (first published October 16th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Place Called Here, please sign up.
Patricia It is a story about where people and things go when they are 'lost'. I found it to be very thought provoking especially for those whose loved ones go…moreIt is a story about where people and things go when they are 'lost'. I found it to be very thought provoking especially for those whose loved ones go missing. While this book is purely fictional, it deals with the pain of loss in whatever form that takes from loosing a loved piece of jewellery to loosing a loved one. I would really love to believe that they 'go' somewhere that keeps them living in a separate environment. I really enjoyed this book and will be reading it again soon.(less)

·  28,869 ratings  ·  1,754 reviews

Aoibhínn
This novel had the potential to be so much more, but I was left frustrated and disappointed with the ending of the book. I think Ahern could have made her ending much more powerful, instead it is left fairly ambiguous with a conclusion hanging in midair. The idea of a place where all missing objects and people go intrigued me, but at times I was left laughing at the naive idea of all these missing people, from all over the world, speaking different languages, living together in peace and harmony ...more
Runa
May 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Runa by: LibraryThing
I regret to say that I received this book two years ago and just now managed to actually read it. It was my first ARC and I put it aside and it sat at the very bottom of my TBR pile for the longest time. Until this time of year, when I've been trying desperately to get everything out of that box and I finally decided to give this seemingly thick, impossible-to-get-through book a shot. Boy, do I hate myself for waiting so long to read such a literary work of genius. Remember in your school days, ...more
Aisyah ♡
I read this years ago, it was actually my first Cecelia Ahern novel. That should have been a big warning for me about how pointless her book can be sometimes, this one included.

I remember it was about random things that just kept disappearing. It was boring, not a lot of action going on. Kinda like a sock missing in the washing machine.

Ooo... mysterious.

°°°·.°·..·°¯°·._.· ʜᴇʟᴇɴ Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος ·._.·°¯°·.·° .·°°° ★·.·´¯`·.·★ Ⓥⓔⓡⓝⓤⓢ Ⓟⓞⓡⓣⓘⓣⓞⓡ Ⓐⓡⓒⓐⓝⓤⓢ Ταμετούρο   Αμ
H Cecelia Ahern έχει ένα ξεχωριστό είδος γραφής και τεχνικής που το διατηρεί αναλλοίωτο σχεδον σε ολα τα βιβλία της.
Καταφέρνει να κρατάει πάντα αμείωτο το ενδιαφέρον,να προκαλεί αγωνία και προσμονή,να χρησιμοποιεί λιτή και απέριττη γλώσσα ώστε να μην κουράζει τον αναγνώστη αλλά και να καταγίνεται πάντα με θέματα πρωτότυπα,επικίνδυνα ίσως αλλά και αιώνια αμφισβητήσιμα.
Στο "θα σε βρω ξανά"το επίκεντρο της ιστορίας ειναι ολα τα χαμένα πρόσωπα-ζώα-πράγματα που εξαφανίζονται μυστηριωδώς και ο προορ
Lee
Feb 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kenzo
Recommended to Lee by: My Bestfriend
The Writer
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Where do all things go when they disappear?

Cecelia Ahern has the answer for that through this book. The Irish chick lit author who previously wrote the international success PS I love you tried to charm her readers again with her fourth book. Funnily, this book has several different titles in English for example: "There's no place like here" and "A place called here". Anyway, the Danish title that I wrote above translates to "A place nearby"

I must admit that Ms. Ahern has a powerful imagination
Sara
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strašno neobična priča, štoviše nerealna. Ne mogu si predočiti to mjesto "Ovdje" odnosno shvatiti događaje u knjizi. Nije mi legla ova knjiga
Zahra Rhm
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
تقدیم به تمامی ناپدید شدگان! باشد که دوستان و آشنایان شان با دیدن این یادبود بر استقامت و امیدشان افزون شود.

گم کردن وسایل مون به خاطر فراموش کردن بخشی از خاطرات مون اتفاق می افته. اما گاهی ما چیزهای مهم تری از وسایل مون گم می کنیم. مثل یک نوازش یک عطر یا چهره یک شخص و یا طنین صدای عزیزان مون. مردم از قصد خاطره هاشون رو فراموش نمی کنن. البته گاهی ترجیح می دیم فراموش شون کنیم. اما نگه داشتن همه چیز توی ذهن غیر ممکنه و اصلا مهم نیست که چقدر سعی کنی نگهش داری.
گاهی وقت ها مردم درست جلوی چشم ما ناپدید
Krit
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After hearing an interview with Cecilia Ahern on a radio book show, I was interested to read her work. It's not the kind of book I would ordinarily go for, but as she's such a successful author, I was curious to see what her stories were like. The concept was interesting and at times the story was moving. Losing parts of ourselves and our need to find them and bring them home to our heart, to feel whole again, is what this story is about, in a nutshell. It was a neat fit in keeping with the them ...more
Anh
Xin thành thật cảm ơn chính tôi vì đã vô cùng vô cùng và vô cùng kiên nhẫn để đọc hết hơn 500 trang của cuốn sách này :v

Mở đầu không ấn tượng, tới tận chương 8 vẫn chưa biết tác giả có mục đích gì ko khi xây dựng 1 nhân vật chính tâm lí bất ổn và tính cách thì nhạt nhẽo, dở hơi. Bắt đầu thấy nản rồi mà vẫn ráng đọc, tại tôi ko có thói quen bỏ ngang một thứ gì đó.

Hi vọng mong manh truyện sẽ đỡ nhạt hơn xuất hiện ở chương 15/55 và hi vọng đó chính thức bị dập tắt ở chương 26/55 cho đến tận cuối sá
Naban
Interesting premise, about where missing objects go. The whole thing had lots of potential, but I got so bored halfway through. I finally snapped and decided I didn't really care about Sandy's missing sock or Sandy herself, who goes missing (oh the irony) and began skim-reading. The concept itself that these missing things and people go somewhere where cultures and such coexist and people live in harmony and (lost) food pops up just like that to fill all bellies was SO ridiculous. Sounds more li ...more
Farah
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, novel, reviewed
Sam
Oct 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
I bought this book in 2007, I started reading it immediatly. But I never liked it enough to keep reading. I decided on reading it again last month and I feel like it took me ages to read.
I really liked the concept of someone who hates it when things go missing. Who starts a missing persons agency and then goes missing herself to end up on the place where the missing things and persons go. I was very excited to read this book from Cecilia as I loved ps;i love you. But the beginning really bored
Prisca
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish it....

The premise is promising, about certain place containing missing people and missing things. But I just couldn't get it. I couldn't care the least towards the characters.... Okay, they're missing someone, so?
Okay, they're in the middle of nowhere and waiting to be found, so?

I think this would be a very great book if the characters were multi-dimensional and had some...I don't know, uniqueness? I don't even like the character's name, Sandy Shortt. Okay, that's trivial @_@ I
beloved books by Tine
3,5
nicht so gut, wie ihre sonstigen Bücher
Tina
4,5 *
Cintya Larasinta
Aaahhh!!! Aku suka bgt kisah Sandy shortt. Gila... Tdk kupercaya aku sgt menyukai cerita bahkan aku sgt menikmati membacanya, jd pgn lagi membaca buku Cecelia Ahern

Sandy Shortt begitu terobsesi dengan menemukan sesuatu hal-hal yang hilang, karena saingan masa kecilnya, Jenny-Mei Butler telah hilang. Setelah bekerja untuk Garda, kepolisian Republik Irlandia, dia meninggalkan pekerjaannya untuk memulai agen mencari orang hilang.
Suatu hari, seorang pria bernama Jack Ruttle meminta Sandy untuk bantu
EJay
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahern has mastered a technique to lead people down memory lane. There's No Place Like Here speaks of things that just grow feet, wander off, cross the periphery, and never return for good.

"Here" is where my small, blue, fragile toy kangaroo has now found shelter in, where those pens I've previously thought just went inside somewhere deep in my pants' pockets have probably nested about, where that Pokemon book I was dying to read when I was eleven had got teleported to, and where my white Conver
Vivone Os
Knjigu sam dobila uz kupljenu Frank kavu. Uzela sam ju jer je imala zanimljivu omotnicu i jer, Bože moj ne treba nikad odbiti besplatnu knjigu kad već svakako kupujem tu kavu. :)
Ali ne mogu reći ni da mi se baš svidjela ni da je ostavila neki super dojam na mene. Svi hvale Cecu, al meni se (pročitavši zasad dvije njene knjige) ne čini kao neka posebno dobra autorica.
Lisa Reyes
Feb 29, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I actually stopped reading this book half way through (something I RARELY do). I don't know if it is because I'm not feeling well, or the book itself, but I just couldn't read any more. I skipped to the final pages, and lo and behold the ending was just what I thought it would be, so I figured why read another 150 pages.
Rosie
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Já li há uns anos e do que me recordo é que foi um desapontamento, o tema era curioso, mas quanto a mim algo falhou. Considerei-o desinteressante.
Lucrug
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una storia con un pizzico di magia....
Jenny Ocana
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things go missing all the time. Even we feel lost most of the time. We're all just trying to navigate our way through life the best way we can, but truth is.. though we seldom admit it, we become lost.

In "There's No Place Like Here" we see an imaginative world where all missing things go. It felt like nowhere but really was somewhere. It was simply called 'Here'. We see the protagonist journeying her way through this world to truly find herself, while helping a few unlikely people on the way.

Rea
Chelsea Barva-kertesz
This book is really hard to get into, but if you do make it through the whole book, the ending is good. I finished this book with a good feeling, and the last 75-100 pages were actually really great. Although this is my least favorite Cecelia Ahern book, she has a knack for writing. I love her style of writing, and her ability to make magic and fairy tales come to life for adults.

This book is about a place called Here, where all missing things and people end up. Sandy Shortt is a 34 year old wom
Nikoleta
Ενα βιβλιο που μιλαει για το κουραγιο κ την υπομονη, την πιστη που πρεπει να εχουμε στους αγαπημενους μας κ πανω απο ολα ποτε να μην ξεχναμε... εξαλλου τιποτα δεν πηγαινει στο πουθενα, ολα καπου καταληγουν αρκει να συνεχισουμε να ψαχνουμε, να μην λησμοναμε.
Cindy
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vlot en heel graag gelezen! Origineel uitgangspunt met spannende en emotionele momenten. Niet alle personages zijn even goed uitgewerkt en het einde wordt plots heel snel afgehandeld, jammer, ik had gerust nog wat langer op de plek van de verloren dingen willen toeven. Aanrader voor iedereen die van wat magie houdt! Niet voor rationalisten...
Sophia
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I think that I'm in Cecelia Ahern mood! ;-)
Magpie67
How would a childhood tragedy affect your growing years? For Sandy Short she became OCD with losing items after a classmate at the age of ten disappears. Things that go missing worry Sandy and her parents are beside themselves with her constant need to find what is missing. Sandy is hooked up with a counselor at school but her need to find never stops and thus her job as a police officer in the missing person department fits her well. Of course, there are a handful of individuals she never finds ...more
Sharon
Sep 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sandy Shortt is an ex-Garda from Leitrim. She now runs a missing persons agency - she has been obsessed with finding missing things since a classmate went missing aged 10. Sandy has devoted her life to finding things and people, but when Sandy herself goes missing, who will find her?

I try to dial my cynicism down a notch when I read Cecelia's books. I go to them when I've had a couple of heavy reads and want something light. But this was not enjoyable. I had the American version, called "There'
Conway Library Gi...: First Impressions 2 15 May 31, 2015 12:45PM
A sensational debut novel that proves true love never dies. 9 86 Mar 09, 2013 02:17PM
  • The Chocolate Run
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lessons in Heartbreak
  • The Godmother
  • The Love of Her Life
  • Celebutantes
  • Young Wives' Tales
Cecelia Ahern was born and grew up in Dublin. She is now published in nearly fifty countries, and has sold over twenty-five million copies of her novels worldwide. Two of her books have been adapted as films and she has created several TV series.
“I can only assume that there’s only one thing more frustrating than not being able to find someone, and that’s not being found. I would want someone to find me, more than anything.” 202 likes
“He tried to tell me week after week to accept things as they were and move on with my life. But if there was one man who had put his life on hold to wait for something or someone, it was him.” 99 likes