Start by marking “Ruby The Copycat” as Want to Read:
Ruby The Copycat

Ruby The Copycat

It's the first day of school, and Ruby is new. When her classmate Angela wears a red bow in her hair, Ruby comes back from lunch wearing a red bow, too. When Angela wears a flowered dress, suddenly Ruby's wearing one, too. Fortunately, Ruby's teacher knows a better way to help Ruby fit in--by showing how much fun it is to be herself!
Published July 1st 2006 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Ruby The Copycat, please sign up.

Start your review of Ruby The Copycat
Whitney Strickland
This book was read to me when I was in fifth grade. My mother shared this with me because I would come home from school every day complaining about a girl that was copying me. This really bothered me and I did not want to be her friend. I heard that imitation should be flattering but I did not understand that. This book tells the story of a young girl named Ruby that copied everything another girl did. From hair bows to hand writing Ruby imitated her friend. This made Ruby become a pest to the o ...more
RLL22018 Danielle Razo
I enjoyed this book because it tells the story of learning to fit in. Ruby, the new kid, had trouble adjusting to her new class, so as a coping mechanism, he copied everything her classmate did. All was well until her classmate got tired of the copying and snapped. Later, Ruby learns it is perfectly okay to be herself and she would fit in just fine. I loved the illustrations in this book! The illustrations are bright, colorful, and imaginative.

I think kids would enjoy this book as we
Gretchen
Lauren Jackson
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help-books
I remember reading this story when i was in school. I thought about how sometimes i wanted to come to school and dress and act like everyone else however i had to learn the hard way that acting the way others acted wasnt good. This would be good to read to studnets who are having an identity crisis. This would be a reminder that you must always remain yourself and people will love it or hate it. You can't please everybody.
Amelia
Mar 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hazel
Book of my childhood that I stumbled across at the library only recently. I would imagine someone who buried a time capsule as a young child with all their most treasured possessions and then unearthed it 30 years later would be overcome by nostalgia as I was when rummaging through the children's section.
Ashley Taylor
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, picture-books
I adored this book as a child and am insanely excited to re-read it. I just ordered it from Amazon.
Ebono1
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: being-unique
helps children know they can be themselves and don't always have to "copy" someone.
Lea Triantafillou
Ruby the Copycat is a picture book that reaches the audience of children ages 4-8. I rated this book 4 out of 5 stars because I believe that the story is something that a lot of children experience in real life. This book is about a girl named Ruby who is new to the classroom. Instead of finding her place in the classroom, she decides to copy Angela, the beautiful girl with the big read bow. Angela comes to realize that Ruby is not being her own person and pushes away from her friendship with Ru ...more
Whittney Davis
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: child-lit
“Ruby the Copycat,” tells the story about a little girl named Ruby and how she copies everything another little girl does in her class. Ruby is a new student at school and is sat behind Angela who Ruby immediately likes because of the red bow in her hair. Throughout the book Ruby continuously copies everything Angela does, from the clothes Angela is wearing to the poem Angela recites in class. Ruby’s teacher, Miss Hart, tries to encourage Ruby to become her own person, and through a few more str ...more
Ellis Lewkowicz
This was one of my favorite books to read. This book teaches us a huge life lesson. Peggy Rathmann directs this book to 1st-3rd graders because this is the period of time where each students would build a rapport to each other and find common interests. In this book, Ruby is new to the class and is mesmerized with Angela's bow. From there, she copies everything Angela does, and Angela gets angry and upset. Rathmann teaches the readers a lesson to be themselves and individuality is super importan ...more
Alisha N.
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruby the Copycat is another charming and delightful school children's classic by author Peggy Rathman, who wrote another great children's literature beloved classic, "Officer Buckle and Gloria".
In this book, the main character Ruby copies everything that her classmate Angela says and does in order to gain others' approval and acceptance. Instead, horrifically, she offends and annoys everyone in her class with this obnoxious behavior.
Miss Hart, Ruby's teacher consoles her and encoura
Elizabeth Green
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a girl who is new to school, Ruby, who decides to copy one of the other little girls. She wears the same cloths, says the same things, and even copies her poem! Ruby has to learn how to not copy other people and to be happy with herself.
I liked this book because it reaches out to every age. Very young children are entertained by the movement of the story and bright colored pictures. Older children, who understand "copycatting" learn lessons of individualism as well as respect
Lauren Windey
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruby the Copycat is the story of Ruby, a new student in Miss Hart’s class. As a new student, Ruby seems afraid to start a new class. As a result, she begins to copy fellow student, Angela. What starts out as simple lies soon turns into bigger lies. This continues for numerous days until Angela threatens to tattle.
Fitting in is a problem that new students often face. It can be difficult to be yourself when you don’t even know if they will accept you. This book does a great job of capturing Ruby
Scot
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great welcome back to school reading. The students were so involved and felt empathy for the little girl being copied by Ruby-they understood she may be feeling frustrated or even angry for being copied every single day. The students also noticed that Ruby had her own talent which was hopping, and then responded that "everyone has something special they can do". Great underlying theme of being your own person.
Stephanie Littig
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruby is the new girl at school and quickly finds a new friend who she decides to copy from then on. Clothes copied, hair copied, poem copied. Angela got tired of it and no longer wanted to be her friend and Ruby was sad. Until the teacher had a nice talk with her and guess who Ruby copied next? This was a cute ending, that I was not expecting. I knew it would end happily, but not like this. Super cute book.
Jana
This school-themed picture book has a good message about the importance of being yourself. Ruby is brand new in Miss Hart's class, and it becomes obvious fairly quickly that Ruby has a tendency to copy the people around her, rather than being herself. This would be a nice book to share during the first days of school.
Victoria Irons
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This tells the funny story of a girl who is new to her school and feels like she needs to copy a lot of her classmates in order to fit in. In the end, the story shows how her own traits are special. This is a good book to read aloud to a class and it has a good message which can be emphasized if necessary.
Taylor Volker
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a new student who is trying to make friends. Unfortunately, she does this by copying the style of another student.

I gave this a 4 start rating because I thought it was a good overall story. However, I thought it would of been better if she would of learned her lesson at the end.
Aviecayl Uy
"Ruby the Copycat" by Peggy Rathman had an important message about insecurity (in some way), confidence, and trying to fit in. My only issue with this was that it could've had a better ending that could highlight the message or lesson of the book more. Otherwise, I enjoyed reading it.
Darin Johnston
Shelves: picture-books
This book is about a girl, Ruby, who wants to make friends at a new school. She decides to do this by copying first a classmate, then the teacher. But by the end, Ruby finds her place in the class.

I gave it a 4 out of 5 because while the illustrations were good, the character Ruby was a bit flat, and the story left a bit to be desired.
Megan Billick
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a girl, Ruby, who goes to a new school and she wants to make friends. Unfortunately she decides to do so by copying the style of another student.

I gave Ruby the Copycat 4 out of 5 stars because Ruby is a sassy character that does not learn her lesson at the end of the book.
Ruby loves to copy Angela- what she says, how she dresses. But Ruby soon realizes that copying Angela doesn't make Angela her friend. Ruby learns that being herself is a much better way to make friends.
Kimberly Austin
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a new girl in school who copies a fellow student in order to gain attention. I gave Ruby 4 out of 5 stars because Ruby is a very sassy girl who does not learn her lesson at the end of the book.
Dawn Laws
Shelves: picture-books
This book is about, Ruby, who goes to a new school and wants to make friends. Unfortunately, she decides to copy the style of another student.

I gave this book a 4 out of 5 because Ruby is a sassy character that does not learn her lesson at the end.
Cheryl
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dunno... something seems a bit off to me but I can't pin it down. I think it has something to do with Ruby being small and dark-haired, possibly typed? But overlook that and it's a nice story. Watched on an authorized youtube video.
Pamela Powell
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations help tell the story of Ruby, the new girl at school, who simply wants to be like the others so she can fit in. But she takes it a bit too far and it backfires. Can Ruby learn to be herself?
Jill
Shelves: picture-books
This book is about a young girl named Ruby who attends a new school. While there, she attempts to make friends by copying another young classmate.

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. I think Ruby has such a huge desire to be liked, which is something many young children struggle with.
Erica Gronowski
Shelves: picture-book
This book is about a new student, named Ruby, who wants to make friends. In trying to make new friends, she starts to copy a girl in her class. The way she dresses, acts, etc.

I gave this book a 4 out of 5 because Ruby did not learn her lesson at the end of the book.
Kinley Coplin
I read Ruby the Copycat and can use this story in my classroom to teach how to be yourself. Ruby is a character in the story who continues to copy everything Angela does and she gets annoyed with it.
Natalia Muniz
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a good book. It can be used to help students find their own uniqueness.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Miss Nelson Is Missing!
  • There Is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • One Green Apple
  • A Bad Case of Stripes
  • Purplicious
  • Zathura
  • Enemy Pie (Reading Rainbow Book, Children’s Book about Kindness, Kids Books about Learning)
  • Let the Children March
  • Millions of Cats
  • Square
  • The Incredible Book Eating Boy
  • The Invisible Boy
Caldecott-medalist Margaret Crosby "Peggy" Rathmann was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, and grew up in the suburbs with two brothers and two sisters. Ms. Rathmann studied commercial art at the American Academy in Chicago, fine art at the Atelier Lack in Minneapolis, and children's-book writing and illustration at the Otis Parsons School of Design in Los Angeles. She currently lives and works in Nicas ...more
“I had a cat I could not see,
Because it stayed in back of me.
It was a very loyal pet-
It's sad we never really met.

I had a nice pet
Who I never met,
Remember it always stayed behind me.
And I'm sure it was a cat, too.”
0 likes