Start by marking “Courting Darkness (Fae Revealed, #1)” as Want to Read:
Courting Darkness (Fae Revealed, #1)

Courting Darkness

(Fae Revealed #1)

My whole life has been characterized by fighting.

Fighting my family.

And fighting for my life.

Trust me—the first one is completely voluntary, and a lot of fun. The second? Not so much.

To say my family dynamic is weird is the understatement of the century. I held my first sword when I was only five years old, and I learned how to dispose of a body before I turned ten.

I
Published September 18th 2021 by Expresso Publishing, LLC

Start your review of Courting Darkness (Fae Revealed, #1)
Marguerite (M)
three-stars
Courting Darkness is enjoyable. It's entertaining, fun to read, with jealous and possessive boys and an adorable heroine who can somewhat stand her ground.
But it also has less plot development than a Ghost bird book.

cue sigh

This is yet another case when a story suffers from the blurb. I am not very familiar with Quinn Arthurs, but when I go into a Katie May book, I pretty much know what to expect: a charming heroine, growly and protective men, and some kind of story.
Which is fine with me. Somet
Hannah Wenna
Oct 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
BadA**ss

Amazing amazing amazing!!
I could not put this down my children wanted attention no nope def not 😂
I seriously love the FMC she is so so Sta****bby-!!
The harem is on point and I’m seriously needing more in this series!!
Heather Gilbert
My Thoughts on Courting Darkness
4.5 rounded up

This author duo, while individually talented, stepped it up even higher as a team, producing a book with all the charm, wit and intrigue you look for in a new series. The only drawback? There’s only one book out so far!!

Sera is a wonderful FMC- pocket-sized yet fierce, even though she suffers from a debilitating and mysterious ailment. Or maybe she is so fierce BECAUSE she has to deal with a disease that strikes out of nowhere. Not to mention an incr
Rachel (Galaxy Girl Reads)
Sep 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Holy cliffhanger. What. On. Earth.

Serafina is such a fun character. She is overly girly and somehow also overly violent which is an oddly satisfying combo.

I love Gage, Devyn, and Xander. The strong, silent, dominating types are just *chef's kiss* to me.

My heart ACHES for Kian. I adore him. He is precious and should be protected at all costs.

Tristan is hilarious. I've never thought of a wolf shifter as a pup in behavior but he's an extremely comical mindset to be in.

Foster kind of fell behind fo
Merri Bright
Oct 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I have feelings. I have to 5 star this book, because I always do that when I get stuck in the event horizon of a great slow burn RH PNR. This book grabbed me and would not let me go. Love Katie's writing, she's an insta buy.
But.
I am starting to get suuuuuuuper annoyed at cliffhangers. I mean, I get it. I really do. And in my own books, I'm planning to have threads that don't tie up too neatly, so sequels are interesting... but the waits between book 1 and 2 (or heaven forbid 2 and 3) have star
Sarz
Oct 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic

Took a chapter or so to really get into, but I ended up gripped enough to read it in one sitting. Great FMC that I can really identify with, despite her age, having also been the very short teen with chronic health issues. And I absolutely love her fire and her determination. The family dynamics are pretty funny. Also love the guys, they're really well written and very distinct from one another. Can't wait to see where this is going, and hoping that the double cliffie will be resolved i
Chelsea Cardenas
OMG!!!!!

I read this book in less than 24 hours, laughed and cried with the characters and the book is so, so great. Y’all put me through so many emotions with all the characters, especially Kian, man I was hit so hard by his part at the end! And then that cliffhanger, OMG I wanted to scream! I loved it and I can’t wait for the next book!!!
Toni ~married to a hunk~
Perks Of Being A Fangirl
As shown by the 2 stars, it was ok - nothing spectacular that really wow'ed me or anything that I can particularly pinpoint.

The blurb sounded something right up my alley, it has all the ingredients of the makings of my favourite type of book. Fierce female character that people underestimates? check. Oblivious to the supernatural world but senses something eerie? check. Mystery? check. A whole lotta hot men? CHECK.

However, it did not live up to my expectations and essentially being forgettable
Ana
Sep 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reverse-harem
Wow, this was so good!!! I loved Sera and the boys, can’t wait for book two, especially after that mean cliffhanger
Katie
Oct 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

I feel so invested in this story and the characters!! And the cliffhanger!?? Holy crap!! I LOVE Sera as a main character!! So cute and kind and kicka$$. I loved her!!
Sep 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great read. I was hooked from the beginning. There are a ton of characters that we are getting to know in this first book as well as trying to figure out what’s wrong with Sera. I loved the relationship building with all the new friends Sera meets and I’m anxious to find out what part she will play in this new fae world.
Book Addict
Oct 08, 2021 rated it did not like it
First of all this book has like zero plot. And the romance is mediocre at best. I’m not reading the next book.

TW: rape, abuse, addiction

Spoilers ahead…

I hate all the guys other than Kian. I don’t know why the author would think we would have any kind of sympathy for them after what they did to Kian. The man was basically being raped for years and no one helped him even when he begged for it. Instead they called him names and isolated him. His own parents forced him into “sessions” where he had
S D W
Oct 02, 2021 rated it liked it
Disappointed - with spoilers (why it's 3 stars)

I'm disappointed in one of the authors. I've read all of her books and I can't believe she wrote part of this book. Well, I can't believe she allowed it to be published. The other author I don't read because I don't like her writing. With good reason.

Pros of this book: Interesting storyline and premise. Interesting characters but...

Cons:

1. Non-consensual relations with a 13 year old boy that's allowed by society and his parents because of his supe
Nessa
Cliffhanger, Fam. I usually wait until two books are out, but I didn’t listen. Sorry, not sorry though! Katie May is a fav of mine and this co-write didn’t disappoint! Love the kick-butt, yet vulnerable heroine and her guys!!!! The guuuuuys!!! My favs of the harem are, of course, Devyn and Gage. I’m a sucker for the big, growly teddy bear types. Definitely looking forward to book two! One heroine with six protective guys, slow-burn.
Jackie
Nov 03, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
I'm really torn on how to rate this. Parts of it deserve 4 stars, but parts of it seem more like 2 stars, so I guess I'll go middle of the road as a 3 on this.

The book starts off slow, I thought about quitting pretty quickly, but decided to give it a little longer, and by about 15%, it picked up enough to hold my attention & not think about quitting again. The world building is a learn as you go, since the FMC, Seraphine/Sera, does not know about the paranormal world existing, she's totally obl
Kels
Dec 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rh-recs
I really enjoyed this book! There were some grammatical/continuity errors (for ex., she was called “Ms. Jenkins” on one page and literally a page later was called “Ms. Jensen”), but there wasn’t anything too distracting or confusing. My only critique outside of that would be that the end felt veryyyy rushed. I understand having cliffhangers, I love them, but it barely felt like the story had picked up before we were hit with not one, but TWO, major things for the cliffhanger. All that being said ...more
Kyla
Sep 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Completely hooked! I read Courting Darkness in less than a day, I’m obsessed! I loved it! Come hop on this crazy train, it's worth the ride!
Serafina the FMC is fantastic, she’s sassy, and feisty but she can put her money where her mouth is. She’s a complete juxtaposition, she’s small but can take on guys twice her size. She’s strong but fragile at the same time. She’s smart but naïve. I loved it, she’s one of my favorite characters I’ve read in a long time.
Her guys are all so different, but they
Annette
Jan 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reverse-harem
NO! NO! NO! I know, I'm usually not the kind of person to start my reviews like this. I mean, mostly I'm trying to seem professional here, but in this case it's just impossible to leave my emotions out of this review. On the contrary: The review is gonna be emotions and emotions only. It's a little bit like the book in that regard. And well, the authors chose to end with the words "it's time for us to talk". YOU CAN'T END A BOOK LIKE THAT!

If you've been reading my reviews for a while already you
Victoria (nocturnalintimacy)
Kristin Usher
Nov 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Strong start to the series

This story was pretty unique. Sera is a 17 year old who's family is very different, in that their way of showing love is fighting each other and learning weapons. While a great fighter, Sera is chronically unwell and nobody knows why.

When they move to a new town, Sera gets to start a new skill and immediately befriends a bunch of guys who are different, even if she isn't aware of that. The fact is though they are all fae and drawn to her despite her being "human".

So I
Laura Witte
Nov 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

This book was awesome! Seraphina and her family have moved to a new town. Her family is a bit... odd. She grew up learning how to protect herself from people who might hurt her. Bloodshed is a daily occurrence with her brothers and parents during their practice sessions, and it’s all fun and games unless you need to hide a body.
Sera’s family is very close, and she’s been homeschooled most of her life. But in this new town she is going to start regular school as a senior at the local high sc
M Keefe
Dec 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Greatly disappointing

Truth be told, I loved this beginning to an end story. Spoilers, so be ware! Sickly young woman trains with super investigative family to fight while her body fights her, so just be ware. After being homeschooled for some years her parents get a new job that requires they move, thus she enters a new school for her final senior year. She meets and makes friends, who all have secrets. The ending is a cliffhanger with an important character dying and secrets surfacing but not t
Kassie
What Is She?!

This book drew me in right away. Sera beating the crap out of her brothers like it’s just another day is hilarious. Throw in the sparkles and her less than 5 ft stature and it’s even better. I love how badass she is, even though she’s pint sized.
I suspected from the beginning that she isn’t human, and I don’t feel like it’s a spoiler to reveal that she isn’t. It’s pretty obvious from the way the guys are all drawn to her and her unexplained medical issues. Sera is such a strong ch
Italy
Dec 30, 2021 rated it did not like it

I don’t believe this was put together very well.

The whole book is written with such dramatics it’s not even funny, it would be impossible for a character to go down a flight of stairs without wailing about a near fall.

Along with dramatics, each chapter was filled with too many things trying to be “relatable” it just became a no factor. I’m all for quirky characters but when it comes to basically listing things that are “big” at the moment in the real world in a book, it starts to bug me a bit.
Lauren
Jan 06, 2022 rated it really liked it
Pretty good, easy to get through. A lot of kindle unlimited books are in desperate need of an editor but there were no spelling or grammatical errors, at least none that I didn’t read over.

Okay plot, a little basic but still fun to read. Okay characters, same thing, pretty basic but no less enjoyable. Great interactions between them.

Only criticism was the age thing which I found weird, and not even the teacher student thing, but everybody kept pointing out how childlike she is, she says hersel
Kelsi
Oct 17, 2021 rated it liked it
I liked it…

So I liked this book but also something was…off with it. Since it’s the first book and nothing else is out- I can only theorize on the direction of the series. This first book had characters I liked but it seemed to unfold slowly. Like it should be the first of a 12 book novela series. A little short but a great base. I liked what we were told about the characters but I didn’t feel all that connected in the FMC. Maybe that will develop but she felt a bit hollow. She had qualities that
Alyrica
Nov 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Didn't Love The Ending

I was looking for a paranormal book in a school setting that wasn't a bully book. This one met all of those criteria and for the first 75% of the book I was thinking this might be a 5* read. Unfortunately, the end left me somewhat melancholy and unsatisfied. I don't expect all of the mysteries to be answered and all of the plot issues to be resolved (when a book is part of a series) but this one left almost everything hanging. Add to that the heartbreaking Kian storyline th
Sue
Sep 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
funny and yet an emotional rollercoaster all in one

Ok… let me preface this review by saying there are some absolutely hysterical moments sprinkled like confetti right the way through this book. Then BOOM all the feels come out and take you on a whirlwind trip to what the heck town right near the end, who I thought was my fave and who I thought was an interesting almost side character got flipped and reversed. The drama coming from all different directions at the end of the book had me screaming
Zoe Jordan
Sep 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Looking forward to next book.

This was too short a read and the min it starts to pick up it's cut off on a cliffhanger. Not only that we don't even get to see the title of the next book or when its coming out. Just a very, very, soon acknowledgment.
Besides all of that I was caught up in these characters. I wish they went more in depth of what monsters they have within, what real powers they have or even a real glimpse of their powers, or something more revealing. It's like this whole book was ce
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Spark of Fate
  • Tortured Heart (Willows Pack, #1)
  • By Her Sight (The Unitam Realm, #1)
  • Knight Ascending (Black Veil University, #1)
  • Insurrection (Monarchs of Hell #1)
  • Forbidden Honor (Dragon Royals, #1)
  • Forgotten (Silver Falls University, #2)
  • Silenced (Santa Catalina University, #1)
  • Klutz: Phoenix Heat (But Did You Die? #2)
  • With Her Sight (The Unitam Realm, #2)
  • Summoned by Magic (Drexel Academy #1)
  • Imbalance (Monarchs of Hell, #2)
  • Survival (Knightwood Academy, #1)
  • Entombed by Blood (Daughter of Cain, #1)
  • Find Me (WITSEC #1)
  • Defending Nightmares (I.S.S. , #2)
  • Knight Revelations (Black Veil University, #2)
  • Obsession (The Deadly Seven, #1)
Katie May is a romance writer of numerous genres! She writes everything from horror to fantasy to contemporary. #whychoose

She has a gorgeous tabby cat who she adores, and she’s obsessed with coffee and horror movies.

News & Interviews