Start by marking “Clip-Clop” as Want to Read:
Clip-Clop

Clip-Clop

(Mr. Horse)

Every child adores getting twirled and tossed by Mommy and Daddy. Again! Again, they squeal. That’s the rapturous joy Nicola Smee captures, in simple rhythmic text and charming pictures. One after the other, a group of barnyard friends climb aboard Mr. Horse for a ride. Faster, they beg…faster! But will “faster” lead to disaster? No…just a satisfying ending that toddlers w ...more
Board Book, 26 pages
Published August 1st 2007 by Boxer Books (first published 2006)

Alex Sarll
A gaggle of different animals ride a horse together with no respect for species boundaries or traditional behaviours. Really, gay marriage and a female Doctor were always going to lead to this sort of thing - this is the future that liberals want, &c.
Heidi-Marie
Very, very cute. I think it could work for both toddler and preschool. It's right on the line there. The illustrations are simple yet explanatory. (I think the animals are cute, too.) And the story is not complicated, but still keeps you in the flow and wondering what will happen. Some great possibilities with sounds and actions, too.

5/11/10 & 5/13/10 A perfect toddler book. We made animal noises with each new animal. And then we "rode" our horses as Mr. Horse got faster. I think I had a bit
Phil Jensen
Here's a cute story for really little ones. The reading level falls somewhere between Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? and Elephant and Piggie. It doesn't quite have the charm of either, but it's still a good fun with farm animals.

Protip: If you don't bounce a child on your knee for the "Clippity clop" parts, then you're doing it wrong.
Tegan
Really cute story with fun illustrations! The kids in storytime loved it.
I love using this for baby storytime because it allows for tons of bouncing, interactive fun! First Cat, then Dog, then Pig and finally Duck petition Mr. Horse for a ride. Faster and faster the friends all go before they fall off into a soft pile of hay (a perfect time for tossing a child on a bed at home!). Mr. Horse worriedly checks on the friends only to hear a mighty chorus of "Again!"

Very simple illustrations with tons of white space make this suitable for the very young (18 months easily,
Jessica
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've said it in another review, but I have definitely been rating picture books much higher than I would have done before I was actually working with children. There are a also a lot of things that I appreciate now that I wouldn't have noticed before. In the case of Clip-Clop, I appreciate the: repetition, large text, and simple art. I've already read Jingle-Jingle, which is the Christmas/winter version of Clip-Clop, essentially, and it's pretty similar. "Cat and Dog and Pig and Duck" (which the ...more
Maggie KutsBorg
Amazing book. My library only has the board book which is quite tiny; our regular copy got junked up and discarded and I can't re-buy it in standard hardcover. But what a fun book! The kids adored it and I did too. (3-6-14)

Since my first review I actually bought the hardcover used from Amazon and donated it to my library, where it now lives in the J Office collection. I've read this book at least 6 times now, maybe 7 or 8, and in three different formats: the tiny board book, the full size hardco
Merwa1
Oct 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book follows a group of barnyard friends as they embark on an exciting ride on Mr. Horse. Nicola Smee depicts a thorough sense of joy throughout the book as they beg “faster and faster” in clear, understandable rhythmic text and captivating pictures. Children aged 3-5 will love this book due to its stimulating feel and energetic rush. It encourages playful engagement and can develop the sounds of language to independently reading phrase by phrase. This is suitable for guided reading in the ...more
Mary
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Horse asks "Who wants a ride?" and he gets an enthusiastic response from Cat, Dog, Pig, and Duck. Soft, large illustrations and a gentle repetitive text makes this a perfect picture book for a preschool story time. Pair this with Mr. Gumpy's Outing by John Burningham.
Emma
The typography is atrocious. 22mo loves the part where they all fall plip plop into a haystack. Sigh. It's short, anyway.
Ruth Ann
Perfect for an interactive storytime. :)
Emily
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bunch of farm animals beg for a ride on Mr. Horse, first the cat, then the dog....You can imagine how cute the drawings are, with various animals enjoying a ride on Mr. Horse's back, until Mr. Horse starts going faster and faster and faster. Good thing there's a bunch of hay and a soft landing. Satisfyingly thick lines and gentle colors on white background, and large, easy to read print. The clear drawings, the progressive repetition building to a climax, and the rhythmic language --"clip-clop ...more
Westminster Library
A friendly horse and some friends go on a trot around the countryside. This book is great for little ones as they learn the give and take necessary for establishing positive social interactions with their peers.

Find Clip Clop at the Westminster Public Library!
Asho
The girls and I heard this story during baby story time at the library today and we all enjoyed it. F enjoyed being bounced on my lap as we said "Clip-clop". L likes any story that focuses on animals, and this one had bright, bold illustrations. She got a big kick out of the ending; there was a big smile on her face when all of the animals went flying.
Mister David
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very short and delightful adventure story. Great for very young children. Gives the reader the opportunity to use several different voices and encourage children to participate in the "Clippity-clop" refrains.
Little
I think this book would be better for a baby who is starting to understand language more. There are no sounds, and the concept, while simple, needs to be understood to be truly enjoyed. We'll pick it up again in 2019!
Dray
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gave each kid 2 blocks to make clip clop noises. Big hit.
Samantha
good toddler book
Claire
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
The kids and the parents thought this was so funny.
Milton Moon Louie
Let’s take a ride with Mr. Horse! B
Meg
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
animals, rhythm, repetition
Donna Mork
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute story where animals have a scary ride, but want to go again. Also important: saying please and thank you is incorporated into the story.
Richelle Rininger
This book was great. The animals ride the horse, go flying off the horse and then ask to go again. The animal were acting much like children would have.
Mairead
DELIGHTFUL. A fast favorite.
John Yelverton
It is a silly little children's book, but most children will recognize both going to fast, falling down, and somehow wanting to do it again.
Krissy
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-tristan
***Read to my son***
Ruth Ann
Board book version of the very fun picture book by Nicola Smee!
Perfect for an interactive storytime. :)
Gwen Marie
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: babies
Illustrations contrast well on the white background making it easy to see what's going on. Opportunity to use different voices for the different characters. Lots of great action words.
  • Hello, Day!
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Duckie's Rainbow
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • This Little Chick
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • How Do You Make a Baby Smile?
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Barnyard Banter