Start by marking “Heart of Darkness” as Want to Read:
Heart of Darkness

Read Book* *Different edition

Heart of Darkness

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  323,947 Ratings  ·  10,371 Reviews
Dark allegory describes the narrator's journey up the Congo River and his meeting with, and fascination by, Mr. Kurtz, a mysterious personage who dominates the unruly inhabitants of the region. Masterly blend of adventure, character development, psychological penetration. Considered by many Conrad's finest, most enigmatic story.
Paperback, Second Edition, 258 pages
Published August 16th 1999 by Broadview Press Inc (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Darkness, please sign up.

Abhishek Mishra I'm afraid not. This isn't your usual page-turner. The book is layered, even allegorical in most verses. The experience of the first half of the book…moreI'm afraid not. This isn't your usual page-turner. The book is layered, even allegorical in most verses. The experience of the first half of the book was rather draining, and the second half moved faster.
I recommend not to read this as a story, but as an essay. It might change how you understand it.(less)

Sonanova
Jul 10, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who enjoys a good tenth level of hell
Proving yet again that doing a concept first will get you immortalized, while doing it WELL will make you an unknown and forgotten writer at best, I also learned that in Conrad's time, people could drone on and on with metaphors and it wasn't considered cliched, but "art." I blame this book and others like it for some of the most painful literature created by students and professional writers alike.

It was like raking my fingernails across a chalkboard while breathing in a pail of flaming cat hai
Richard
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone: required reading.
    First of all, get this straight: Heart of Darkness is one of those classics that you have to have read if you want to consider yourself a well-educated adult. That’s the bad news; the good news is that this is a very easy book to read — tremendously shorter than Moby-Dick , for instance. And the prose is easy to swallow, so you don’t really have an excuse.

    Having watched Apocalypse Now doesn’t count — if anything, it ups the ante, since that means you have to think about the similar
Sarah Fisher
May 23, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Never in all my life has 100 little pages made me contemplate suicide...violent suicide. i had to finish it. i had no choice (yay college!). every page was literally painful.

am i supposed to feel sorry for him? because i don't. i feel sorry for all of Africa getting invaded with dumbasses like this guy. oh and in case you didn't get it...the "heart of darkness" is like this super deep megametaphor of all metaphors. and in case it wasn't clear enough, conrad will spend many many useless words cle
Bookdragon Sean
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every reader
Is Joseph Conrad a racist?

Well, that is a question, a question that is extremely difficult to answer. There are certainly racist aspects within Heart of Darkness. However, how far this is Conrad’s own personal opinion is near impossible to tell. Certainly, Marlowe, the protagonist and narrator, has some rather patronising notions as to how the Africans should be treated, and the image of the colonised is one of repression and servitude, but does this reflect Conrad’s own opinions? How far can
Helen Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος   Vernus Portitor Arcanus Ταμετούρο   Αμούν Arnum
«Φρίκη, φρίκη »
«Εξολοθρεύσατε όλα τα κτήνη!»

Στην καρδιά του σκότους και στον αφηγητή της (Μάρλοου),το νόημα της ιστορίας δεν βρίσκεται σε καμία περίπτωση μέσα στον πυρήνα της,αλλά απ’έξω, «θαρρείς και το νόημα περιβάλει την ιστορία...».

Αυτό το βιβλίο είναι μια ασύλληπτη τελετουργία, μια δαιμονική πνευματικά μύηση, μια καταληψία.

Η καρδιά του σκότους μπορεί να έχει πολλές ερμηνείες και είναι πολύ φυσικό αφού βρίθει εικόνων και συναισθημάτων.

Όλη η ουσία του βιβλίου επικεντρώνεται στην εμπειρία ε
Megha
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews

It was a breathtaking read. There are few books which make such a powerful impression as 'Heart of darkness' does. Written more than a century ago, the book and its undying theme hold just as much significance even today. Intense and compelling, it looks into the darkest recesses of human nature. Conrad takes the reader through a horrific tale in a very gripping voice.

I couldn't say enough about Conrad's mastery of prose. Not a single word is out of place. Among several things, I liked Marlow ex
Lyn
“We live in the flicker -- may it last as long as the old earth keeps rolling! But darkness was here yesterday.”

Marlow is not just a narrator or an alter ego of Conrad, but a universal everyman, timeless. And that, to me, is the greatest appeal of this book, it is timeless.

“Like a running blaze on a plain, like a flash of lightning in the clouds. We live in the flicker.”

The scene of Marlow sitting Buddha like as the Thames dreams into slow darkness and his voice takes on a disembodied, spiritua
Riku Sayuj
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tanuj Solanki

Revisiting The Heart of Darkness

After passing past that Castle of Ego,

Laying siege on the very borders of Mind,

We entered the vast and bristling forests,

Of that strange, strange land, that Id,

Which doth divide the knowing, waking,

From the land of dreaming, unknowing.

But this way is much too hard to follow;

And is harder even to describe to you:

We are more likely here to perish,

Here in these vast, dense hinterlands;

For these woods that we see arrayed,

Has never previously been crossed,

By mortal men
Rakhi Dalal
“ Mistah Kurtz. He dead.”
-T.S. Eliot, The Hollow Men

He came, he saw, he conquered – and then he succumbed and died. Mistah Kurtz. An enigma, who ultimately came to signify the gloomy reality of sin, which closely lurks in the minds of mortal beings and keeps ready to pounce upon the heart and to sink it into darkness at the mere hint of viciousness. Which impatiently awaits the weak moments of vanity, false notions and fickleness to take over control and let humanity die a grief death of hopeles
Jr Bacdayan
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picture Review of Heart of Darkness

Visual Key:

White Man named Michael Cera – represents Imperialism

Sunset – shows the impending darkness that is latently inside man

Sea – represents the Congo River

Moustache – represents author Joseph Conrad who also has his own impressive facial hair

Red Bonnet – is a horrible choice of headwear thus might prompt one to remark "the horror! the horror!" which is also Kurtz' last words
Exploration today 3 16 Jan 07, 2018 12:43AM
Will Teach You All You Need To Know About CeluRaid Extreme 1 3 Dec 19, 2017 11:36PM
Why Revoria Cream Is So Famous! 1 3 Dec 18, 2017 10:29PM
Clarifications On Optimal Choice CBD 1 5 Dec 14, 2017 10:23PM
Facts That Nobody Told You About Master Testo Pro 1 4 Dec 13, 2017 03:31AM
Eliminate Your Fears And Doubts About GRS Ultra 1 1 Dec 12, 2017 10:45PM
Unexpected Ways Vitanoria Can Make Your Hair Better 1 1 Dec 12, 2017 03:03AM
  • The Good Soldier
  • A Bend in the River
  • Studs Lonigan
  • A Dance to the Music of Time: 4th Movement (A Dance to the Music of Time, #10-12)
  • The Beast in the Jungle
  • Dubliners
  • Death in Venice and Other Tales
  • Jude the Obscure
  • A High Wind in Jamaica
Joseph Conrad (born Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski ) was a Polish-born English novelist who today is most famous for Heart of Darkness, his fictionalized account of Colonial Africa.

Conrad left his native Poland in his middle teens to avoid conscription into the Russian Army. He joined the French Merchant Marine and briefly employed himself as a wartime gunrunner. He then began to work aboard Br
More about Joseph Conrad...
“We live as we dream--alone....” 2003 likes