Start by marking “Big Blue” as Want to Read:
Big Blue

Big Blue

Big Blue is a cautionary tale for all of us, but especially children who may not realize that their actions can have unexpected consequences. Big Blue is a happy bird, and a member of a large family that spends their winters in the warm south. Big Blue gets lazy though and instead of working, he lies about, eating and sleeping. Soon, the flock leaves ?????? but Blue is too ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Vanita Books

To ask other readers questions about Big Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Blue

Start your review of Big Blue
Anika
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Big Blue is a beautifully illustrated book,there is nothing better than a book with a message .Illustrator has done a fabulous job.It's simple and easy to understand.

In these days of technology children do tend to prefer playing games on their computers ,lazily watching television lying on the couch instead of playing in the park and getting some fresh air .This book is to encourage children to have fun & burn up some calories .

yes, some people tend to find this book offensive but i think
Storywraps
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This adorable little blue bird is just like all the other birds in the flock. He flies around, sings sweetly, and makes up his own nest. All-in-all he is quite a normal little fellow until one day he decides to sleep in all day and doesn't come out to work or play with the others. Little by little his habits change and he starts focusing more and more on eating food. He becomes obsessed with pecking and stuffing himself most of the day. He gets into a lazy cycle of eat, sleep, laze around, eat, ...more
Melissa
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Book Review- Big Blue by Vanita Oeslchlager
Another ebook that I've received through Netgalley. This one left me with very mixed feelings. Big blue is the story of a blue bird who becomes lazy. He just sleeps and eats all day till he becomes so big that he cannot fly when the other birds fly south for the winter. He is left survive for himself over the winter.

First let me son my son enjoyed the book very much. He loved the drawings. They were really pretty. However I don't think he understood
Carol
There once was a young blue bird that decided it was fun to eat all day long and take naps when he should be working and learning. There were a few problems with this type of lifestyle. His nest was shrinking, his friends were calling him names, and he couldn't fly south with the flock when cold winter weather approached. Once he was alone, Big Blue realized how wrong he had been. He had to spend the whole winter working hard to stay warm and alive. Of course the benefit was that he got back in ...more
Jayna
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I received a digital copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I'm a little on the fence about this one.

The positives: The illustrations are gorgeous. Rhyming books are always great with young readers. It has an underlying message and I prefer to share character building books in my classroom. Laziness is a real problem that I frequently deal with, and I would like a book I could use to teach some of the consequences of being lazy.

The negative: The message. I'm not entirely OK with a
Suzanne
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ya-kid-lit
Big Blue is a good story to illustrate why we can't just play and do what we want all the time. It is similar to Aesop's Fable "The Ant and the Grasshopper." When the book begins, Blue sings and flies and does all the things the other birds do. But when Blue decides to spend all his time napping and eating, his singing and nest building and flying are neglected. He eats so much that when he tries to fly, he just rolls along the ground instead. Blue learns the hard way that life isn't all fun and ...more
zapkode
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
{my thoughts} - I love the illustrations in this book. They are so nicely done and captivating for a child. This story is a good one as well because it helps to show children that bad things can happen if all you do is play around and eat and sleep. It helps to show children that there is a time for all those things after the work you need to do is complete. I really enjoyed this book a lot. Also, an added bonus is that it was like one long illustrated poem.

{reason for reading} - This book was a
Melissa
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am all for children's books being written to address childhood obesity, as it is a major problem that parents need to address. However, I took issue with the assumption of this book that all obese children are lazy. Big Blue didn't going to his singing practice, he didn't work on his nest, and he just spent all his time eating. However, I have known plenty of active, yet overweight, children and what message does this book send to them? That they are lazy when they actually aren't? Or that ...more
Alyn
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book warns children about what can happen when you get too lazy. Blue is a bird that decided he didn't want to work like other birds. He got fat and couldn't fly away with everyone once winter came. He learned his lesson though once Spring came around again.

One thing I didn't like was how the other birds called him "Big Blue". It almost felt like they were bullying him by calling him names because of his size but in the book Blue didn't know why they were calling him "Big Blue". I don't
Andréa
I enjoyed the illustrations -- they were painted on wood, which creates an interesting final look -- but other than that, this book didn't do much for me. I don't like it as much as some of the other Vanita Oelschlager books I've read.

Note: I received a digital copy of this book through NetGalley.
Lauren
Jun 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book had beautiful illustrations, but the message was wrong. As another reviewer mentioned, it really comes off as fat shaming. The author generalizes those with weight issues as lazy and lacking self-control. I think their could be a better way to teach children about discipline. It worries me that this story would teach a child that it's normal to be made fun of if you're fat.
Jenni
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jenni by: Netgalley
The blue bird, nicknamed as Big Blue, reminded me of the twitter bird xD This short story was inspirational and meaningful. Find balance between work and leisure! You can't do anything you want without consequences.
BookCupid
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lyrical and witted, Big Blue reminds us why procrastination should be yesterday's news. Blue, abandoned by the rest of his flock due to his inability to work, learns the hard way. The illustrations are beautifully drawn and from varying angles. Nice teamwork.
Miz
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-owned, review
Amazing illustrations and cute story. I would look at buying this for young readers.

I received a free ecopy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Very cute book and had a great moral to the story.
Jay
Feb 07, 2013 rated it liked it
A nice little story to remind children not to sit & eat all day, but to work hard, have fun & play.
a good one to add to the book collection

** thanks to NetGalley & the publishers for this copy!
Vim
Jun 27, 2019
Amber
added it
Nov 21, 2019
Vanita Oelschlager is a wife, mother,grandmother, former teacher, current caregiver and, for almost ten years, author and poet.

She was born and raised near Pittsburgh. She is a graduate of Mt. Union College in Alliance, Ohio, where she currently serves as a Trustee.

She has also supported and helped Jim as he built Oak Associates, ltd. into a successful investment management firm.

Today, as an