Start by marking “Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, #2)” as Want to Read:
Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, #2)

Queen of Sorcery

(The Belgariad #2)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  60,387 ratings  ·  1,041 reviews
The Trail of Prophecy...

Legends told of how the evil God Torak had coveted the power of the Orb of Aldur, until defeated in a final battle. But prophecy spoke of a time when he would awake and again seek dominance over the world. Now the Orb has been stolen by a priest of Torak, and that time was at hand.

The master Sorcerer Belgarath and his daughter Polgara the arch-Sorcer
Mass Market Paperback, 326 pages
Published November 1982 by Del Rey (first published October 12th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Queen of Sorcery, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Julia David Eddings wrote five books in the Belgariad series, five in the (parallel) Mallorean series, two prequels (Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the…moreDavid Eddings wrote five books in the Belgariad series, five in the (parallel) Mallorean series, two prequels (Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress), a companion novel The Rivan Codex, as well as three books in the Elenium series, three books in the Tamuli series, four in the Dreamers series, and four stand-alone books.(less)

·  60,387 ratings  ·  1,041 reviews

Olivia
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid second book in this classic epic high fantasy series.

This series is like sipping hot chocolate on a cold winter day. It's straightforward, simple, but the foreshadowing is excellent, and it managed to surprise me a few times. Of course, I should have seen it all coming, but I was so entranced by the story and the characters that I didn't.

It's a relaxing and pleasant read with familiar characters, and a fast-moving plot. Overall, I found it less entertaining than t
Christina
Aug 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Christina by: Ruth Warner
Shelves: library, 2011
For the first half of this book, I was slightly bored and felt that it was an echo of the first one ("they travel, run into enemies and Silk does business, get away, travel, run into enemies and Silk does business, get away..."). I wasn't sure that I would continue reading the series after this book because I thought the book was "just okay." However, something changed about halfway or more into the book and now I look forward to reading the next one. The routine pattern finally changed and the ...more
Markus
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Queen of Sorcery, after another somewhat slow opening, is even more interesting than its predecessor Pawn of Prophecy. The world keeps revealing new and interesting elements, the characters actually develop in realistic and natural ways, and the story keeps maintaining suspense.

Particularly the parts about the succession crisis in the Imperial Court of Tolnedra and the darker conspiracies of the snake-ridden swamp kingdom of Nyissa were fascinating. I am thoroughly impressed by how much Eddings can s
Susan Kennedy
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-epic
This is still such a great story. It has been over 20 years since I had initially read this series. To pick it up again and relive it has been so enjoyable. It is such a masterpiece; so well written with fantastic characters and an epic story.

This picks up right where book one ends. The characters are so great. It's like being a part of this group; immersed into their party as they are on their epic journey. I love learning more about each one of them and how they fit into the story.
Jim
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this reread. Wonderfully fun story that expands the characters of the first book in a masterful way. They're caricatures, but good ones & Eddings doesn't take them too seriously. There's a ragged old sorcerer who gives orders to the drunken king through a pirate, money-grubbing spies, & knights so noble & brainless that they kill each other in droves for reasons they can't recall. I like the humor & the tragedies. This is a simple epic story. No high falutin lang ...more
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Books 1 and 2 really should have been published as one volume. This is the one where their companions are almost complete and we get a lot more info about what exactly is going on. I've always loved the characters in this series :)
Amanda
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
I really really like the David Eddings books, and they were where I properly started out reading in the fantasy genre, back when I was thirteen or so. I adore them and have read them time and again. However, Queen of Sorcery is far from the strongest entry in the Belgariad, and this time during my re-read it was very hard to prevent myself seeing the many faults. I still love the whole series, but struggle with this particular book.

One problem I have is the character of Garion. With
Holly (The Grimdragon)
“As long as I know that my motives are good, however, I’m seldom very concerned with the opinions of others.”

Queen of Sorcery is the second book in The Belgariad series, preceded by Pawn of Prophecy. I began my Belgariad journey almost three years ago and dug it a lot! I didn’t intend to just drop the series for years before continuing on, but alas.. here we are!

Epic fantasy is like climbing under a comfort blanket for me. I have such a soft spot for (good) old-school SFF! I was cra
Suzanne
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
This was my "gateway" fantasy series, and while I have happily read hundreds of fantasy books since, the Belgariad will always have a special place in my heart.
MrsJoseph *grouchy*

Note: This is one of my favorite series. I read this series, it's sequel The Mallorean, and Belgarath the Sorcerer yearly.

Queen of Sorcery is the second book in The Belgariad series by David Eddings. In comparison to the first book, Queen of Sorcery gives the reader a lot more information and a greater incentive to continue the series. One of the things I liked the most about this book is that the reader starts to get to know the side characters a lot better - and a lot of the things left unexplained in book one are cleared up in/>Queen
Stephen
4.0 stars. Good sequel to Pawn of Prophecy. I find myself liking the supporting cast more than the main character, but this is still a fun read.
Jane Jago
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Going to review the whole series as one...
David Sarkies
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody really
Recommended to David by: My Auntie
Shelves: fantasy
I can think of much better prophecies
22 June 2012

Maybe I should have discussed idea of prophecy under Pawn of Prophecy because the title of that book seems to be more conducive to that discussion than this book, however I wanted my review of the Pawn of Prophecy to be a bit of an introduction to the series as a whole rather than focusing on something specific. I note that the first review here indicates that the first part of the book seems to be a series of 'meet the enemy, escape, Silk d
Wanda
The second installment of the Belgariad—and although this world certainly has some commonalities with Tolkien’s Middle Earth, there are many distinctions as well. Yes, there is a company of travellers on a quest for a powerful jewel, but they are not nearly as noble as LOTR characters. Can you imagine Gandalf getting drunk and having a hangover on the morning of an early departure? Belgarath does. How about producing sweets to attract Dryads to him and stating that Dryads will do almost anything ...more
Paul
Queen of Sorcery is a step up from Pawn of Prophecy in The Belgariad but the story is more concerned about telling each individual kingdom's story more than telling a compelling overall narrative. As much as I like fantasy that requires a band of adventurers to travel to different places, the group in The Belgariad seems to keep getting side tracked on the way. Their goal is to stop a thief with a powerful stone from reaching his home territory but the group of adventurers keeps finding themselv ...more
Andrea
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite an improvement over the first book. While the structure of this installment is rather similar (go to this place, expose some political plot, get on the road, run into trouble, repeat), the action is much more exciting, and how should I put it - magical! Finally Eddings realized that there is more to fantasy novel than just characters that can do magic. There is more interesting lore weaved into the plot, an exciting minor villain is introduced, and some questions about Garion's powers are ...more
H
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The fun continues. I only have two complaints with the series, really. 1. The emotions are pretty nonexistent. Like, Eddings mentions how someone feels, but he only mentions it once, so I forget about how characters are feeling a lot. Like I remember at one point in this book it mentioned Garion feeling consumed with hatred for his parents' murderer, and I was like, "Really? Oh yeah." And 2. Garion is really, really, really oblivious. Maybe I'm just thinking so because I knew who he really is from the ...more
S James Bysouth
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most pleasant read

There is no other series I find more relaxing to read. The prose is so gentle and invisible I can read a hundred pages at a time and it feels like twenty.

Frankly this series should be more popular than it is.

The target audience is probably YA if im honest - which is probably why it's not more popular. Then again, Harry Potter is uber popular with adults, and I rate this much higher than HP so... drawing a blank. This should be more popular. Period.

Better writ
Belinda
5 stars Audiobook - Garrion what did you do? Notting aunt Pol, realy.- whe follow Old Wolf, slik, Barak and the others as they want to get de orbe back from Zeldar. Garrion gets older and gets to know more and more about he hole story also conserning him. The only one who sees him still as a little boy would be aunt Pol. But she is also the one how raised him. So in my oppion that is quit normal. Again draws Eddings a beautiful world where you can step in and enjoy the story. I would say like a ...more
Mindy Reads
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I really was excited to jump back into the Belgariad series and I was not disappointed. At the very beginning of Queen of Sorcery you are reminded of how young and naive Gairon still is and during the course of this book you start to finally see him start to grow up a little, a though not fully. I'm betting this series will be a great journey in order for Gairon to grow up and discover his power. This book was a little slower in the middle than Pawn of Prophecy, but it picked back up an ...more
Diane ~Firefly~
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: fantasy
Garion and his companions continue on their quest for the orb and pick up a Mimbrate Knight and an Imperial Princess. They continue to advise the kings of the areas they pass through and avoid the Murgos. This story ends with a confrontation with Salmissra.

Garion starts to realize he is special and has trouble coming to terms with it and what he did to Chamdar. He just wants to be an ordinary boy and isn't going to get his wish.
Penny Taylor-jones
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
These sets of books are my best friends. I have been reading them since I was 15 years old and when I want some comfort I can loose myself in another world, following the adventures and the discoveries that Reveal who Garion truly is.
Nicolo Yu
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Queen of Sorcery continues the Belgariad of David Eddings with this volume, the second of the series. It picks where the first book, Pawn of Prophecy ended, with the group journeying to the southern kingdoms on the trail of the thief of the most important artifact of their world.

The cast here increases as the group travels more characters join them, apparently in fulfillment of the prophecy that is one of the themes of the Belgariad that spans the series. Eddings continues to develop
Jak
Oct 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Endings was my first foray into High Fantasy which would probably explain why none of the clichés riled me. I’ve now read plenty of stories about nameless orphans etc who turn out to be the missing bloodline to the throne who then go on to battle unimaginable (except that of many a fantasy writer) evil to save the world.

Personally I absolutely loved the Belgariad series of books and found them to be enthralling and exciting. In particular I loved the characters and thought them to be some of th
Mollie Clarke
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While thinking of what I would write for a review of this book, I realised that whatever I wrote wouldn't do it justice. The adventures of Garion are continued in this book, with him exploring many new lands and hinting at what is too become of everyone in terms of the prophecy. Its rare that a book, genuinely engages me for long periods of time but this book has certainly done so, I could quite happily spend all day ready this book.
James
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: want-to-buy
Very solid second book in the series. More magic, more surprises. Still a lot of traveling and a good amount of "if you would all just communicate, we wouldn't be having these problems!" But overall even better than book 1 I think. Onto part 3!
Negar Bolboli
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to be updated!
Jesse
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I'm really enjoying rereading this series. This was one of the first fantasy series I had ever read, and it paved the way for a long life of love for the genre. These books are a lot of fun.

I do have to say, for adult readers, I can see how these books could be a bit grulling. For one thing, the plot is cliche. Farm boy is proficised to save the world from a great and growing evil. But first, he has to travel and learn from a group of awesome companions. I'm sure this sounds familiar
Amber
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book really took the series to another level. The first book, Pawn of Prophecy, was good, though predictable and at time childish in my opinion. Queen of Sorcery took you deeper into the magic of the world and gave you more insight into the characters. You also start to get subplots in this novel. The first novel really seemed to have a singular plot that wasn't really clear until half way through the novel, where as this book stays true to that plot, but expands into other side a ...more
Semina
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, 2018
I can't help but love this novel despite its obvious flaws. And does Polgara somehow just keep on being even more annoying than before? OR am I crazy?

Sure, I appreciate the author's effort to keep us on edge about what is going to happen and how Garion is The Chosen One as if everyone is so stupid not to realize it in the first ten pages of the series.

It seems that the author has a certain issue with female characters, even though they aren't exactly completely flat and one

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Rise of a Merchant Prince (The Serpentwar Saga, #2)
  • Saint Camber (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #2)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • A Man Rides Through (Mordant's Need, #2)
  • The Prophet of Akhran (Rose of the Prophet, #3)
  • The Star Scroll (Dragon Prince, #2)
  • Ravenheart (The Rigante, #3)
  • The Elf Queen of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #3)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings , was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which h

The Belgariad (5 books)
  • Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)
  • Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3)
  • Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4)
  • Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5)
“I thought you said you were the one in charge!" Ce'Nedra exclaimed.

I lied." Silk said. "It's a vice I have.”
97 likes
“Exaggerating?" Silk sounded shocked. "You don't mean to say that horses can actually lie, do you?
Hettar shrugged. "Of course. They lie all the time. They're very good at it."
For a moment Silk looked outraged at the thought, and then he suddenly laughed. "Somehow that restores my faith in the order of the universe," he declared.
Wolf looked pained. "Silk," he said pointedly, "you're a very evil man. Did you know that?"
"One does one's best," Silk replied mockingly.”
54 likes