Start by marking “Time and Tide” as Want to Read:
Time and Tide

Time and Tide

Here is an epic of World War II --- the story of men and passion, of great love and tragic loss, and of two proud military families caught in a crucible of honor and betrayal...

Captain Arthur McKay - Given command of the USS Jefferson City after its desertion at the Battle of Savo --- the worst naval defeat in United States history --- he must choose between loyalty to his
Mass Market Paperback, 626 pages
Published December 1st 1988 by Bantam (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Time and Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time and Tide

Robin Smith
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm not sure how to rate this book. It's historical fiction and involves a navy cruiser during WWII. The weird part is that the author modeled the ship's story after not just one but two real ships, switching from one to the second late in the book.

I found the switch to the story of the second ship (the USS Indianapolis) rather gratuitous given that ship's history. The earlier part of the book centered around another real ship (the USS Chicago) disgraced during the Battle of Savo Island - the US
David
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Large cast of complex characters. An unvarnished portrait of men at war. Lots of action as well. GAME OF THRONES like in the way main characters are killed. A masterpiece.
Ginny
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Great historical fiction of WWII in the Pacific. I learned a lot; there is so much to learn! My main struggle was keeping the characters straight. I actually opened a Word document to help me. If I thought anyone else would ever need it, I'd put it online.
Ben
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discard
Remember the old novel ( and then a movie) " Battle Cry" about young Marines from boot camp to the horrors of the war against the Japanese ? That was a timeless classic compared to this hapless book.

I bought the Kindle version of the book after reading the sample chapters. It seemed right for my interests: a novel of the Navy in WWII. It began with the hero being ordered to relieve the captain of. USN ship that had run from a fight while other ships were taking a beating from the Japanese navy o
Don Halpert
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book tells the story of the fictional USS Jefferson City. The crew are humiliated by the seeming cowardice of their Captain. When he is replaced by Capt. McKay the challenges become more apparent. The interaction of the crew, the constant fighting with both the Japanese and the inflexible Navy traditions provide a complex and fascinating look at the sailors fighting in the Pacific.
Although fiction, the stories ring true and the outcome is not quite what we were led to believe.
Good story, we
Indymoff
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good read, even better if one has a military background but not necessary. At the risk of being sexist, probably more of a guys book than gals. Having said that, both sisters, and wife enjoyed it immensely. Might be a good idea to keep a log of characters as there are quite a few & do become intertwined.
Johnny
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sounds vaguely like all tales I'be heard of the fateful last voyage of the USS indionapolis

Still an interesting story of seamanship, courage, warcraft,and persavance to duty and honor.maybe the names have been changed, maybe just a good tale.
Mike Briggs
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
strikes me as an epic novel along the lines of War and Remembrance. It's very long and detailed. I now feel like I have a good understanding of life around a heavy cruiser in the Navy during World War 2.
Robert M. Roth MD
Excellent read

A well written historical drama which is accurate to the period and an interesting account about life aboard a WW II cruiser in the Pacific. Characters are well developed. Highly recommend if you are a fan of this genre and time period.
Cyndy
Feb 27, 2011 rated it liked it
A page turner. Not my favorite sort of story but interesting.
Sharon
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I gave up, unfinished: got bored with it.
Tom Hooker
Ryland
Nov 27, 2015
Af Wilson
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story. It was very well put together and evenly paced through out. Well worth the time and effort Mr. Fleming put in crafting this tale.
Robert Briskie
Aug 14, 2019
david t webster
Apr 04, 2017
doug dorn
Apr 13, 2017
A. Kevin Raymond, M.D.
Mar 20, 2017

• The Torch Bearers (Nicholas Everard Naval Thrillers #8)
  • Flying Tigers: Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
  • Black Sheep One: The Life of Gregory "Pappy" Boyington
  • Silent Sea (The Silent War, #2)
  • The Burma Road: The Epic Story of the China-Burma-India Theater in World War II
  • Iron Coffins: A Personal Account of the German U-boat Battles of World War II
  • Mosby's Rangers: A Record Of The Operations Of The Forty-Third Battalion Virginia Cavalry, From Its Organization To The Surrender
  • The Nazis: A Warning from History
  • Signal-Close Action! (Richard Bolitho, #14)
  • A Good Clean Fight
  • Celtic Gods, Celtic Goddesses
  • Fast (F.A.S.T. Series, #1)
  • Secret Life: Firsthand, Documented Accounts of Ufo Abductions
  • Satan Is Alive and Well on Planet Earth
  • Nowhere to Call Home
  • Forgotten Holocaust: The Poles Under German Occupation, 1939-1944
  • World War I
  • The Confederacy's Last Hurrah: Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville
Thomas J. Fleming was an historian and historical novelist, with a special interest in the American Revolution. He was born in 1927 in Jersey City, New Jersey, the son of a World War I hero who was a leader in Jersey City politics for three decades. Before her marriage, his mother, Katherine Dolan Fleming, was a teacher in the Jersey City Public School System.

After graduating from St. Peter's Prep