Start by marking “Stolen” as Want to Read:
Stolen

Stolen

11 hours, 29 minutes

You thought she was safe. You were wrong…

Alex knows her daughter would never wander off in a strange place. So when her three-year-old vanishes from an idyllic beach wedding, Alex immediately believes the worast.

Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published August 5th 2021 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Stolen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stolen

Start your review of Stolen
Kat
It’s been awhile since I’ve had so many different “Look over here!” moments whiplashing my brain back and forth. Tess Stimson could open her own fish market with the number of red herrings she packed in this book. Ah, but they were all delicious!

The story sets up brilliantly with a prologue that prepares you for a riveting finale. The sense of dread is palpable from the get-go, and the rest of the story the reader is along for the ride just waiting to get back to that prologue and make sense of
Regina
Aug 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What makes a true page turner?* For me, it’s often when an author absolutely nails the formula of shorter chapters that each end on mini cliff hangers.

Who writes a true page turner? Tess Stimson! In her latest thriller, Stolen, I never shook the urge to read “just one more chapter.”

The plot certainly isn’t groundbreaking. Single mum Alex loses her young daughter and is naturally shamed for her life choices rather than given the sympathy and support she needs to track down her missing child. Sti
Jayme

Go On!

You can join the rest of the World, as sympathy turns to judgment of Alexa Martini.

The story is immediately engaging as a refreshingly imperfect mother, Alex, and her shall we say “willful” three year old daughter, Charlotte Perpetua Martini, are traveling from London to Florida for a destination beach wedding.

Alex is friends with the groom and little “Lottie” is to serve as a bridesmaid-her role-one of the flower girls.

All goes surprisingly well, and the adult guests are enjoying cock
Michael David
Jun 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: widget-received
HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY!

Alex Martini and her 3-year old daughter, Lottie, travel from London to Florida to attend the wedding of Alex’s friend, Marc. Everything is going swimmingly until Lottie disappears during the reception.

The authorities are quickly brought in, and the story of missing Lottie swiftly makes the news. As the media and public are quick to take sides on whether they think Alex is involved in her daughter’s disappearance, or a bad mother regardless, Alex has one thing on her mind:
Charlotte May
Damn this was cray!

Alex never planned on motherhood, but she loves her daughter Lottie with every fibre of her being.
But 3 year old Lottie is a terror, and since the tragic death of her husband Alex is struggling with widowhood and being a single parent.

An invite to a destination wedding in Florida proves extra stressful, with the long flight and difficult people. At the wedding, Alex asks a friend to keep an eye on Lottie. This turns out to be a terrible mistake as at that moment Lottie goes
Kaceey
Sep 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
It takes only a single moment….or in this case four hours. And poof, a child is gone.

Alex has flown half-way around the world, from the UK to Florida to attend a destination wedding of her best friend Marc. Alex’s three year old daughter, Lottie is to be one of the bridesmaids.

It happened in the blink of an eye. All it took was for Alex to look away and Lottie vanished into thin air.

The nightmare begins, the clock is ticking…

No stone left unturned.

Is Alex going to un-cover the mystery of wh
JanB (vacation till Oct 18)
Three-year-old Lottie disappears at a beach wedding, and the worst is feared. Before long the court of public opinion falls on the mother, Alex. What kind of mother is she to lose sight of her daughter? Spoiler alert: normal. Until you find out what Alex was doing and then she loses some sympathy. But still. I’m a mom, and know you can lose sight of your toddler in the blink of an eye.

I appreciated the message that highlights the pressure on women to be the perfect mother, and the commentary on
Carolyn
While you might think that the ‘missing child’ trope has become an overly popular theme in contemporary thrillers, this one puts an original spin on the story making for an interesting and engrossing read.

Lottie, the child who is missing, disappeared at a wedding in Florida. She had flown with her mother, Alex from London to be a flower girl at the beachside wedding of Alex’s good friend Marc. On the day itself Lottie was well behaved, performing her duties carefully in her little pink dress. Af
Ceecee
May 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex and her three year old daughter Lottie fly out to Florida for her best friend Marc’s wedding to Sian. During the post wedding celebrations Lottie goes missing and what ensues is a two year world wide search to find her daughter with Alex never giving up hope. The story is told by Alex and journalist Quinn who becomes obsessed with the story.

The inspiration for this novel comes from the real life case of Madeline McCann and the author mirrors judgements made on Alex’s career, parenting and
Carolyn Walsh
Sorry. I regret this book wasn't for me. I realize my reading experience puts me in the minority. Prospective readers should read the many positive reviews and not be influenced by my difficulties with it. The premise involves a three-year-girl who vanished from a destination wedding party in Florida while her widowed mother, a dedicated lawyer for refugees at their home in Britain, was otherwise occupied. The child, Lottie is described as highly intelligent but I thought she acted and spoke mor ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'You know why you're so frantic to get her back?' Harriet cries, shaking me off. 'It's not because you love her so much, Alex! It's because you didn't love her enough! You feel guilty because you never really wanted her! That's what all this is about!'

I reel as if I've been sucker-punched.

It's because you didn't love her enough.

Seven words that damn me to hell.

ABOUT 'STOLEN': You thought she was safe. You were wrong…

Alex knows her daughter would never wander off in a strange place. So
RoshReviews
Aug 10, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, rounding up. If you are looking for a book that has more twists than a korker ribbon, this could be a great read for you!

Story:
Alex is a career-oriented lawyer who isn’t really fond of motherhood but loves her three year old to whatever extent she can. Her daughter Lottie is a precocious spoilt brat, with her every word and action revealing her stubbornness and wilfulness. But the mother and daughter still have a trusting connect with each other. So when Lottie disappears from a beach
Christina
Apr 30, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sensitive and interesting missing child story that raises timely issues, with a heck of a twist.

If you’ve followed the Madeline McCann case at all, you’ll notice that the premise of this book bears some strong resemblances to that case. Alexa is a mom who never yearned or planned to be a mother. But when her daughter Lottie was born, she loved her fiercely. Similar to the McCann story, Alexa faces judgment and accusations of bad motherhood when her daughter is taken from a posh resort
Louise Wilson
Jul 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex knows her daughter would never wander off in a strange place. So when her three year old vanishes from idyllic beach wedding, Alex immediately believes the worst. The hunt for Lottie quickly becomes a world-wide search, but it's not long before suspicion falls on her mother. Why wasn't she watching Lottie?

Alex is a single mum. Her daughter Lottie had been a flower girl at a wedding being held at the Sandy Beach Hotel when she disappeared at the wedding reception. Alex is also dealing with s
Jayne
Jul 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow! Wow! Wow!

All child abduction novels are not created equal.

This compelling, character-driven novel is expertly crafted, heart-pounding, unputdownable, and gasp-worthy.

The book's first chapter hooks readers instantly: a 3-year old British girl (Lottie) is abducted at a posh destination Florida beach wedding.

Where did Lottie go and who took her? Why was Lottie taken?

As the search for Lottie intensifies, this gripping thriller boasts a whirlwind of twists/turns and many, many red herrings.

It'
Denise
Aug 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This is so not your typical missing child thriller. While waiting for this one to arrive, I read Tess Stimson's "One in Three" so I had a good idea that there would be some wild twists in this one too - and there certainly was!

As a mother, this book touches on your worst nightmare - letting your child out of sight at a "safe" place, and your child disappearing seemingly into thin air. Alex is at a wedding with her daughter, Lottie, who is a flower girl, and when Alex leaves the reception b
Derek
Jun 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Have you ever had so much yard work to do that neighbors were giving you the side-eye? That's where I found myself this weekend. But they'll have to keep giving me the stink eye because I could not pull myself away from this book!

This twisty, riveting story of an abducted young girl breathes new and refreshing life into this crowded troupe. I loved how the author was able to dive deep into the impacts to the mother who lost her child - was she a bad person or just unfortunate?

The author blended
Sherri Thacker
The unthinkable happens - you go to a friends wedding in FL all the way from the UK with your little girl and she is the flower girl in the wedding. Shortly after the marriage takes place, your little girl is GONE! Has she walked off? Did someone take her? This thriller had me on the edge of my seat from the very first page. A few twists towards the end had me guessing till the very last page. Just when I thought I knew how it would end, it threw another loophole in there! Thanks to NetGalley an ...more
Darla
Jul 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Destination wedding, anyone? There have been quite a few fictional ones that end in disaster lately and this one is full of surprises. I don't want to reveal too many details or provide spoilers. Here are some things I particularly loved about this book: 1) The diverse setting choices. 2) The character development of the mother. 3) Decisions made with dollars raised. 4) Surprising twists and turns in the plot. I am a Tess Stimson fan after reading this one. You will be, too. If you want to read ...more
Rose
Jul 30, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have just read Stolen by Author Tess Stimson.

What a great thriller of a book. A career mother who is e-nroute to a beach wedding from London to Florida, soon finds herself in a most stressful situation – when her 3-year-old daughter is abducted.

There are lots of twists and turns, which always make for a good book – lots of guessing and stress along the way!

A good read, a book that captures one’s attention from start to finish!

Thank you to NetGalley, Author Tess Stimson , and Avon Books UK for
Vanessa Menezes
Alex knows her daughter would never wander off in a strange place. So when her three-year-old vanishes from an idyllic beach wedding, Alex immediately believes the worst.

The hunt for Lottie quickly becomes a world-wide search, but it’s not long before suspicion falls on her mother. Why wasn’t she watching Lottie?

Alex knows she’s not perfect, but she loves her child. And with all eyes on her, Alex fears they’ll never uncover the truth unless she takes matters into her own hands.

Who took Lottie M
Alayne Emmett
Jul 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read. It me made me think of Madeline McCannn which was a tragedy. This book was twisty and although I didn’t like the characters very much it didn’t spoil my read. I really didn’t guess who took the little girl at all. My thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
Aug 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Your worst nightmare plays out in this book with the abduction of Lottie. Although Stimson’s portrayal of the three-year-old had my back up because she is such a Madam, I was completely onboard the rollercoaster of the hunt for her. True, Lottie’s mother, Alexa, has many faults, but the pain and anguish she experiences makes this a tense, heart-felt and draining read.

The lead-up to Lottie’s disappearance is fraught. The tension is palpable as Alex really does not want to attend the Florida cerem
Michelle
Jun 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Wow Stolen is the first book from Tess Stimson I have read and after this I will be looking at the others that she has written. This is a gripping read, which I was hooked from the start.
Alex is a Criminal rights lawyer and has a year 3-year-old girl called Lottie. She is also a widow. Her husband Luca died in a freak accident in Genoa the previous year when a bridge collapsed. Luca was the main carer for Lottie while Alex went to work. So, when he died, she has struggled to bring her up. Alex d
Jen
Jun 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a wild ride that kept me guessing until the end. It centers on single mom Alex who attends a wedding in Florida with her 3-year-old daughter Lottie when the unthinkable happens; Lottie disappears.

This was one of those books where the author throws red herring after red herring at you- I kept feeling clever for knowing I had figured it out to being thrown by the next twist. The ending was a huge surprise to me, but made total sense after I digested it.

The story was fast-paced and kept m
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
20515174

Oh my gosh, this book...the twisis...the turns...the blurb on NetGalley says "A twisting and emotional thriller that demands to be read in one sitting." Well I am happy to report that NetGalley was 100% correct. I devoured this 343 page book in one sitting, I couldn't stop reading it. I loved One in Three by this author, another five star read for me, so I had high expectations for this one and it did not disappoint.

This isn't your typical child goes missing trope. This was a uniqu
Kalyn✨
May 25, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
I enjoyed this book, though I felt the first half was much stronger than the second.

The first half sees three year old Lottie disappearing from a beach wedding, which plunges single mum and dedicated lawyer Alex into every parent's worst nightmare. It's intriguing and straight to the point.

The second half, however, (or maybe even the last third) was just okay. At one point a previous chapter is repeated almost word for word, presumably to draw parallels between the two situations, and it confus
Andrea Pole
Jun 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Stolen by Tess Stimson is a tour de force of intrigue, and you will want to devour it in a single session. I am always emotionally drawn to a story with a missing child at its centre, and I was completely captivated by this one from the very start.

Alex is a single mother travelling with her three year old daughter Lottie from the UK to Florida to attend a friend's nuptials. Lottie is a difficult child, and that assessment is me being exceptionally kind. When Lottie goes missing from the wedding
M.  Reads Books and Fics
A ripped from the headlines thriller. This is one that will make you think and wonder. You will also be more keen to ensure you always keep an eye on your child. This was definitely a heart stopper with a lot of great twists. I could not put this one down and it would appeal to those who like true crime but may want to turn to fiction instead.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Stalker
  • The Anniversary
  • I Let Him In
  • His Loving Wife
  • Bring Her Home (Boyle & Keneally #1)
  • What She Did
Tess Stimson frequently contributes to newspapers and women's magazines. Born in England, she graduated from Oxford before working as a television news producer. Stimson is also the author of Hard News, Soft Focus, Pole Position, The Adultery Club, The Infidelity Chain (UK)/One Good Affair (US), The Nanny (UK)/Who Loves You Best (US), What's Yours Is Mine, The Wife Who Ran Away, The Lying Game and ...more