Start by marking “The Many Deaths of Laila Starr” as Want to Read:
The Many Deaths of Laila Starr

The Many Deaths of Laila Starr

(The Many Deaths of Laila Starr #1-5)

Humanity is on the verge of discovering immortality, which means the avatar of Death is out of a job… or is she?

Humanity is on the verge of discovering immortality. As a result, the avatar of Death is cast down to Earth to live a mortal life in Mumbai as twenty-something Laila Starr. Struggling with her newfound mortality, Laila has found a way to be placed in the time and
Published February 1st 2022 by BOOM! Studios

To ask other readers questions about The Many Deaths of Laila Starr, please sign up.
Andy Yes it is, as long as they are comfortable with a few deaths, the art is not particularly graphic.
Andy This was originally released as a comic, so 1-5 are the single issues which are collected as chapters 1-5 in this book.

This does tell the full story, …more

This does tell the full story, and there is nothing else required to be read before or after this story.(less)

Start your review of The Many Deaths of Laila Starr
Sam Quixote
Mar 26, 2022 rated it it was ok
Death is fired after being told a boy called Darius has been born who will grow up to unlock the secret for humans to live forever - no more death, no more Death. Corporate downsizing for the non-corporeal! Until Death is also made mortal, filling the body of a recently-deceased young lady called Laila Starr. Now stuck on Earth with the rest of us schmucks, Death/Laila hatches a plan to get her job back: kill Darius…

The Many Deaths of Laila Starr has a fun premise - a sorta Indian take on a Pra
Chad
Feb 09, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2022, hoopla
Set in Mumbai, Death is fired from her job when a baby is born that will discover immortality. Death becomes mortal and seeks to find this boy and end his life before he cures death. Like Daytripper, it's one of those books that make you revisit your life. I really liked Ram V.'s writing, I did not like Filipe Andrade's art. He draws everyone with distended limbs and large heads with very weak linework. ...more
Sophie
The God of death is out of a job because the boy prophecized to discover the secret to immortality has finally been born. Scorned and jealous, Death goes down to earth, stealing the body of a dead woman named Laila Starr. She attempts to kill the child but finds herself unable to complete the task, instead, obsessing over the boy and re-entering his life intermittently whenever someone close to him dies.

First and foremost, allow me to say that I really liked both the art and the POC representa
Rod Brown
Mar 06, 2022 rated it liked it
Death gets laid off by her pantheon of gods when a child is born who will one day find the cure for mortality. (Seems premature, eh?) Sent to live out her life on Earth, she spends the next decades trying to thwart that development so she can get her job back.

Told with the tone of a fairy tale or fable, this story strikes me as something Neil Gaiman could have written, though he might have side-stepped the chapter narrated by a cigarette. And he probably would not have side-stepped the advanceme
Jess Bragg
Feb 24, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Deeply spiritual and immense fun, this is one of my books of the year. A book that made me stop and think, contemplate life and death and love too?! Uh yeah that’s 5 stars for me! What a hopeful, beautiful and brilliant graphic novel this is. Very cool artwork too!
Subham
Sep 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was..just so good.

It starts with the goddess of death removed from her job and sent down to earth for her to find a man named Darius who finds the cure to death..Immortality. And bonded with a mortal named Laila Starr we follow her journey as she meets this man at various points of his life and I love how each issue she dies and after many years is resurrected by Pranah (God of Life) but meets Darius and how he blames her when they meet in his adult self but right in the end, the convo they
Jessi ❤️ H. Vojsk [if villain, why hot?]
“I need to find a baby…“
“A baby?”
“A real bastard. One day he’ll grow up and invent immortality.”
“Oh, that’s cool!”
“No, Munmun! No, it’s not! Things are meant to die. That was my job and I was very good at it, you see?

Art 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Story 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Heather-Lin
Oooh, I think I like it already! The opening page of Mumbai is gorgeous...

The art is oddly disconcerting, with rubbery bodies and very cool settings. But the colors are SUBLIME. Also, we have an Eastern pantheon of gods? Love!!

***
And now I have finished it and I'm overwhelmed with how truly beautiful this story was. Rubbery alien bodies be damned, this was PERFECT 🖤🖤🖤

***

GR Personal Rating System:
★★★★★ 5 Stars ~ LOVED
★★★★☆ 4 Stars ~ ENJOYED
★★★☆☆ 3 Stars ~ LIKED
★★☆☆☆ 2 Stars ~ MEH
★☆☆☆☆ 1 Star ~
Alexander Peterhans
It's okay. The writing feels a bit aimless at times, feeling around in the dark for a point to make, and at the end the found point is one that has been made a thousand times before, bordering on the trite.

(And I hate the name Laila Starr, the comicbookiest of names.)

The art and colouring are very beautiful. Very, very beautiful.
James
Mar 11, 2022 rated it really liked it
What a sad, tragic, beautiful and introspective book. We have the god of death get fired from her job by who I would guess is god? The reason is that someone is about to be born, Darius, that is going to grow up and invent immortality for humanity. With this, the god of death of course is no longer needed. She is sent to earth as a mortal in the body of Laila Star who just died. Being the god of death since the beginning of time, she is immune to death. Death means nothing to her and she doesn’t ...more
Billy Jepma
Dec 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021, faves, comics
"Each heartbeat, each breath—is a rejection of death."

This leveled me. The first two issues take a clever conceit and have fun with it, exploring it from different thematic angles and using them all to give the character and the idea of death a personality. I was all in, of course, but I also wasn't expecting it to so utterly break my heart and put it back together again. There are moments in this perfectly brief story that take questions and doubts and fears I know intimately well and twist t
Kadi P
Thought-provoking, touching, and bittersweet, this was a worthwhile exploration of life, death, and all that they could mean.

Laila (aka the god of death) was the perfect protagonist for this story. Her character growth aided the the increasing level of emotion as the story progressed and her reflectiveness was poignant. What was most surprising was that, whilst the story was about her, it wasn't just about her. It was also about Darius Shah and the many other people who touched her and his life,
A.J. Anders
Jan 30, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best independent comic published throughout 2021, and the best I have read so far in 2022. I don't want to give anything away as this should just be read going in with a fresh and open mind, so please just go read this book. It is so amazing. Ram V delivers what will probably be his Magnum Opus. ...more
Ina Korsgaard Hervig
Jan 29, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: boom-studios
The story, the setting, the art, and the coloring. ❤
Andre
Jul 18, 2022 rated it really liked it
4/5✨
Such a beautiful story!
Nı§hca
Sep 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
5 Stars!! A very unique and interesting 5 issues comic series that teaches some valuable lessons of life and death. This story is sat in contemporary India (in Mumbai) and features hindu gods. Godess of death is fired from God's office and she is sent to earth for living a mortal life in the body of a girl named Laila Starr. A kid named Darius also borns in Mumbai who is supposed to discover immortality when he grows up. Now Laila wants to find and kill Darius before he discovers immortality s ...more
dovesnook
Jun 10, 2022 rated it it was amazing

Beautiful and thought provoking, both Laila Starr and I learned something from this. Definitely worth the read and it made me appreciate the little things a bit more today.
Adam Stone
Jan 11, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Last year, I fell out of loving graphic novels. I still read many because it's part of my job to stay informed about comic series, but it was mostly Batman titles, X-books, the Valiant Universe, and other series that I read more out of habit than love. What I haven't been doing is picking up indie books or random Image, Boom, or Dark Horse books.

I'm very happy that my first blind grab this year was this title. I don't think I've been as pleasantly surprised by a one volume story since I read Da
Jase
Jan 06, 2022 rated it really liked it
I think when you read a lot of something, lets say a comic series or comics in general, you get to a point where you have to step out of the inertia of it all and start looking for comics that at the very least have a purpose for existing beyond simply continuing the machine of serialized comics, and most I find do not so when the ones that pop up do they should be recognized.

I think a lot of people will have come for the Ram writing, and they won't be disappointed, this is a book, that like mos
Aj Waran
Aug 08, 2022 rated it it was amazing
An exploration of death and life.

The premise is very interesting and unique as it’s about the God of Death being fired as someone who invents immortality is born. I found the writing to be excellent and there is a flex of their strength and confidence in their writing skills in some issues where you’ll have side characters such as; a cigarette box narrating some of the events and for these bits to be massive highlights of the book overall. I also enjoyed the story being told and the themes that
Chris Lemmerman
Jan 08, 2022 rated it it was amazing
The Goddess of Death has been fired. Humanity is about to invent immortality, so she's not particularly necessary any more. Inhabiting the body of a girl named Laila Starr, Death ventures into the human world to exact her revenge on the man responsible. But by following his life along its track, she may just discover life for herself all over again.

Laila Starr's a wonderful snippet of culture that I never expected to get. So far, everything I've read of Ram V's comics work is infused with some p
Brandon
Dec 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It's darkly funny at times, other times quiet and sombre. Not quite a tragedy, not quite a happy ending, but a journey taken and a life lived. About the price of life, the death of death, and learning how nothing is certain in life, even the end of it all. To call it one of the best books of 2021 would be underselling it, this is the sort of book that should last for years. When the decade ends, it will be up there as one of the best comics of the decade. It's an artistic tour de force of stylis ...more
Simon
Sep 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I still remember crying inconsolably while reading John Williams's "Stoner", a novel about the beauty of small things and small lives, their inherent importance. It's a very simple sentiment but one seen all to rarely.

So seeing it here, in Ram V's triumphant ode to life, was miraculous. And this was an amazing read, a poetic story of how much life matters, of how easily we all cheat death every day.
Lukasz
Mar 29, 2022 rated it it was ok
2.5/5

I loved the art and the premise (Death gets fired, then angry, decides to kill a child who will "invent" immortality). Sadly, a lot of it felt like a filler selling cheap truths.
Clint
Oct 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Just incredible. The Hindu goddess of Death is fired after being made obsolete by the birth of a boy who will invent immortality. She’s incarnated on Earth as part of her severance package, but finds it difficult to take a life as a human herself, even from the newborn who got her fired. Her mortal misadventures crossing paths with him result in her namesake Many Deaths and subsequent time jumps that serve as a window into his life.

I love the various POVs presented here; stories are told through
Liam Matthews
Jan 18, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Absolute superb, can't reccomened it enough. ...more
Dakota Morgan
Jul 01, 2022 rated it really liked it
The cover art does no favors to The Many Deaths of Laila Starr. While striking, it offers no hints towards the fantastic fable that makes up the graphic novel. The Goddess of Death has been fired due to a child being born who will invent immortality. Sent to Earth to live a human life, the goddess takes over the body of recently-deceased Laila Starr. Her plan? Kill that kid.

As the years pass and Laila's path repeatedly crosses with the child's, Laila learns more about humanity, life, and death.
Carly
“It’s what happens when things die. They go away, but you don’t realize all the parts of you that they were holding up until after. And then the days that follow, the possibilities of what could’ve been begin to fall away. Leaving you with less, each time – more precious, to be savored.“
Ness (Vynexa)
‘If life’s an exercise in making memories…
No one really goes away as long as they are remembered’

After Death loses her job due to promises of a new life creating immortality, she takes it upon herself to get rid of said child while mortal and things don’t go to plan.

This is a beautiful story that takes place in Mumbai, told through colors and shapes and conversations Death aka Laila Start has with other Gods about life.

I wasn’t sure what I was expecting, but whatever it was, the actual sto
Readingwithnori
Jul 10, 2022 rated it really liked it
A quiet read for sure. It is a contemplative story about the meaning of a life itself. Some may find it boring others will enjoy it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• New Mutants by Jonathan Hickman, Vol. 1
  • The Good Asian, Vol. 1
  • The Nice House on the Lake (2021-) #5
  • Beta Ray Bill: Argent Star
  • The Clone Saga (Miles Morales: Spider-Man, #5)
  • Batman: The World
  • Batman: The Long Halloween Special #1
  • Ghosted in L.A., Vol. 3
  • Folklords
Ram V is an author and comic book writer from Mumbai, India. His comics career began in 2012 with the award-nominated Indian comic series, Aghori. A graduate of the City University of London’s Creative Writing MA, he has since created the critically acclaimed Black Mumba and the fantasy adventure series, Brigands.

The Many Deaths of Laila Starr (6 books)
  • The Many Deaths of Laila Starr #1
  • The Many Deaths of Laila Starr #2
  • The Many Deaths of Laila Starr #3
  • The Many Deaths of Laila Starr #4
  • The Many Deaths of Laila Starr #5

News & Interviews

“Perhaps it is enough to remember at story's end the miracle that it was simply to have lived.” 6 likes
“It’s what happens when things die. They go away, but you don’t realize all the parts of you that they were holding up until after.” 0 likes