Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems

Selected Poems

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Amy Lowell (1874–1925), American poet and critic, was one of the most influential and best-known writers of her era. Within a thirteen-year period, she produced six volumes of poetry, two volumes of criticism, a two-volume biography of John Keats, and countless articles and reviews that appeared in many popular periodicals. As a herald of the New Poetry, Lowell saw herself ...more
Published September 18th 2002 by Rutgers University Press (first published November 30th 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Deborah Pickstone
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my most favourite poets - and interesting people! Read many times. The following is an oft-taught poem but also one I like. The second is a personal favourite.

Patterns - Poem by Amy Lowell

I walk down the garden-paths,
And all the daffodils
Are blowing, and the bright blue squills.
I walk down the patterned garden-paths
In my stiff, brocaded gown.
With my powdered hair and jeweled fan,
I too am a rare
Pattern. As I wander down
The garden-paths.
My dress is richly figured,
And the train
Mak
Andy

It was quite obvious to me that Amy Lowell certainly had depth and a vibrant flare to her queerness. "New York at Night" is possibly my favourite from her collection of wonderful poems.

She beautifully integrates personification in her writing, bringing New York to life yet not with excitement and energy like one would expect instead she delicately makes us feel pity for the bustling city and it's never ending anguish filled days. Delicately implying that the city was cramped with ugly dirty hou
Rosa Ramôa
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
CRUZAMENTO

Ó Tu,
Que vieste ter comigo um dia
deitada debaixo de macieiras, logo após o banho,
porque não estrangulaste antes de falar
em vez de encher-me do puro mel selvagem das tuas palavras,
para depois me deixar à mercê
das abelhas da floresta?

O TÁXI

Quando me afasto de ti
o mundo bate sem força
como um tambor que enfraquece.
Eu chamo-te entre as estrelas lá no alto
e grito pelas cristas do vento.
As ruas, rapidamente,
uma a seguir à outra,
levam-me para longe de ti,
e os candeeiros da cidade furam-me os o
Kelly
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
DIscovering her was lifechanging. SHe knows how to craft a poem. Quite incredible. While she's not the most clever and not the most revolutionary, she knows how to use rhyme and rhythm well, and how to make you feel things. Serious things. She was a total badass. Love the intro and front notes on this one as well. Very informative and well written and passionate.
Terry
Apr 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Although it did not seem as accessible to me as Ammons’ work, nor as insistently relevant, I was equally impressed with the range of Amy Lowell’s poetry. From her sonnets, rhymed stanzas and blank verse, her adapted Asian forms and translations from the Chinese, what she calls her “cadenced verse” (which I would label cadenced prose, reserving the term “verse” to mean syllabically metered poetry), to her polyphonic prose, she demonstrates virtuosic ability in all registers.

Some of my favorite t
Highjump
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked that it was organized by style because I'm drawn to certain styles that I read closely and was able to skim other sections.
Billy
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
After Ezra Pound's famous dismissal of Lowell's poetry as "Amygism" in jealous response to her influential contribution to Imagism, the publishing industry and Western canon unfortunately followed suit, making her poetry largely unavailable for nearly a century. This collection revives interest in a poet who, though she may now seem overly formal, was wildly popular in her own time. Here we find individual poems using nature imagery that has since become cliche but whose cumulative effect is uni ...more
David
Mar 09, 2009 added it
i was going through a phase
Lisa Greer
Jan 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Is there a more perfect poem than "Patterns?"
Fed
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lowett has a very unique way to write narrative with poetry. This hybrid style of writing is very enjoyable.
Kristen
  • Homage to Mistress Bradstreet
  • Chicago Poems
  • The Blue Estuaries
  • Selected Poems
  • As I Walked Out One Evening: Songs, Ballads, Lullabies, Limericks & Other Light Verse
  • The Selected Poetry
  • North of Boston
  • 1000 Poems from the Manyōshū
  • Fungi from Yuggoth and Other Poems
  • The Collected Poems
Lowell was born into Brookline's prominent Lowell family. One brother, Percival Lowell, was a famous astronomer who predicted the existence of the dwarf planet Pluto; another brother, Abbott Lawrence Lowell, served as President of Harvard University.

She never attended college because it was not deemed proper for a woman by her family, but she compensated for this with her avid reading, which led t
More about Amy Lowell...

“All books are either dreams or swords,
You can cut, or you can drug, with words. ”
59 likes
“I am tired, Beloved, of chafing my heart against
The want of you”