Start by marking “Rhode Island Blues” as Want to Read:
Rhode Island Blues

Rhode Island Blues

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  195 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Smart, sexy, and infinitely charming, Rhode Island Blues tells the story of Sophia Moore, a loveless and guarded thirty-four-year-old film editor in London who believes that her only living relative is her stormy and wild grandmother Felicity. Troubled by her mother's long-ago suicide and her father's abandonment, Sophia overworks, incessantly contemplates her past, and co ...more
Published January 7th 2002 by Grove Press (first published September 18th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Rhode Island Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhode Island Blues

Betty
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book has overtones of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as Miss Felicity enters, and then becomes enmeshed in the Retirement village: The Golden Bowls. Nurse Dawn is the villain,assisted with grasping relatives- and I was on the edge of my seat wondering if Miss Felicity would manage to extricate herself!
Reetta Saine
Familiar characters and themes, but still something fresh. I really can't understand how she can be funny, wise, mean and scary - all in one sentence.
Candice
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
There was a 30 year gap between the last book I read (Down Among the Women) and this one, and this time she is dealing with matters of the past, family, aging and how the desires of an 83 year old woman can still be as pertinent and valid as those of a 30 year old.

"She could have explained that it was not an aging brain which made you forgetful – it was the battering upon the doors of knowledge by the hammer of experience."

However, age does not alter the continuing struggle between the sexes:

"Y
Stacy
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book has more errors than any book I can remember reading. The numerous misspellings, awkward sentence structure, and errors of fact litter the pages from beginning to end. Here are just a few:

p. 11: "she had spent $100,000 dollars"; "what was $100,000 dollars" (using both the dollar sign and word "dollars"
p. 117: "He reminded them both of what both would rather forget" (really awkward)
p. 137: "A photograph of Alison . . . showed her with . . . mine and Angel's pale skin" (mine pale skin???
Nelie
Feb 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love Fay Weldon's novels in general. Intelligent, feminist and never taking themselves too seriously--what more can you ask? Well in this case, the more you would find is a tale about falling in love in old age, finding redemption and meaning through the plots of movies and the I Ching, the mixed blessing of having relatives, and the way we create and recreate ourselves throughout our lives ("We are all postmodernists now" writes Weldon in one of her reflections about this).
Ted Cornwell
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I forgot how much I enjoy Fay Weldon's humor. This one, following the later life of a British-born widow, finds her living under more supervision than she'd like in a Rhode Island nursing home. But the powers that be are no match for Felicity.
Karen
Jul 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book started out charming and affectionate, and ended up cynical and affected. I really enjoy satire with a heart, like Richard Russo's Straight Man, but I thought that in this book, Weldon sucked all of the heart out of the characters by the end. As a result, I found the experience of reading this book profoundly disappointing. I also thought there were some strange messages about adoption and LGBT issues, which were hard to make sense of. There were a lot of throwaway lines about gay peop ...more
Granuaille
Mar 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Fine for a light read. The story moves along well, and chops back and forth between differnt characters, which maintains ones interest.
Comments on retirement homes, family, inheritance, neighbours etc amusing and often insightful.
A theme often referred to - in reference to mental attitudes, illness, misfortune etc - is that in previous times there was not a name to certain issues so we did not worry about them. Now that everything is named we concern ourselves more with them - eg senility etc to
Carolyn Mck
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I’d read this before but it was a good book to read while travelling– entertaining and clever. It’s a story about aging, desire , the dependence (and independence) of women and the relationship between fantasy and reality (including the mediation of experience through fiction or film). Witty and satiric, especially about the ‘Golden Bowlers’ of the retirement home where Felicity lives and is visited by her grand-daughter Sophie.
Alice
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've been a fan of Fay Weldon's books for decades. She has not lost her edge or her mordant sense of humor. She's a fierce feminist but compassionate toward everyone and wise in the ways of the world. I loved this book and highly recommend it. I did notice some awkward writing and copyediting errors that should have been caught by her publisher. This is all too common these days and it drives me crazy.
  • Love is a Four Letter Word
  • The Crazyladies of Pearl Street
  • Zwanenzang
  • Giving up America
  • De macht van meneer Miller
Fay Weldon CBE is an English author, essayist and playwright, whose work has been associated with feminism. In her fiction, Weldon typically portrays contemporary women who find themselves trapped in oppressive situations caused by the patriarchal structure of British society.

More about Fay Weldon...