Start by marking “Tillie: A Mennonite Maid” as Want to Read:
Tillie: A Mennonite Maid

Tillie: A Mennonite Maid

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  275 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In Absalom's two visits Tillie had been sufficiently impressed with the steadiness of purpose and obstinacy of the young man's character to feel appalled at the fearful task of resisting his dogged determination to marry her. So confident he evidently was of ultimately winning her that at times Tillie found herself quite sharing his confidence in the success of his courtin ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about Tillie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tillie

Trae
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I found this book when I was searching for genealogical references to my family history. I have Pennsylvania Dutch in my family as well as a woman named Tillie. I felt like I was reading a diary of a girl from the time period.
I really want my teenage daughter to read it as I think it is a great story to teach her about reaching for her own self confidence. It was a quick read and a wonderful story to give me perspective of the time period. I would read it again, I really enjoyed it.
Barbara
This story was written in 1904, and tells the story of a Mennonite maid and the struggles she has because her interests and views are so different from those of her community, and especially her father. The story is interesting, but its writing style reminds me more of older children's literature than adult literature. It is a quaint tale, and shows the value of reading and education.
Teresa
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another Good Book written in late 1800's.
Rachel Cross
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

A 4 for the courage of the heroine Tillie but a 3 for all the fainting she did. Oppression from any home of any religion can be a mountainous thing to get away from but any kindness shown to the oppressed is a light of hope and love that can cause a person to grow wings and fly away. So this book was ok for the era in which it was written.
jane Hicken
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone can dream &do it!

This book, at first, I thought wasn't going to be that good. As I continue he'd, it became better & better. It was a fight against home and the struggle between right vs. wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed this read.I would recommend to anyone who loves Old Mennonite novels! Wonderful!!!
Angie Fehl
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly powerful story about a young woman simultaneously fighting an oppressive father, single-handedly pursuing a degree (without help or support from family), discovering first love, and trying to decipher her true religious beliefs. Beautiful story about going after what's important to you - despite the obstacles you may have thrown at you!
Mary e George
Tillie

Tillie was always trying to get reading in but her father always expected work from her dawn to dusk. She worked very hard to get her teaching degree & was helped by Miss Margaret, Doc, Auntie Em & Walter Fairchilds.

..*****

Sidney Weber
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific

This book immediately captures and holds the attention and sympathy of the reader for its heroine. The plot moves forward continuously in a seemingly realistic manner despite a setting far from the American mainstream.
Marjorie Sapp
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great characters

Great characters

I loved the characters in this book from the comical doctor to the "teacher" and even the dad. I do think in the writing at times it makes the "Mennonites" to look like ignorant people.
Bonnie Finney
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story line

Held my interest, wanted to keep reading until I was finished reading the book. Good story line no profanity except for one.
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
More Pennsylvania Dutch nonsense from HRM. Thinking about the primitivist aspect.
Julie
Nov 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. Really it is just a novella due to its length. It's an okay story that would have benefitted from being developed into a full novel.
Candy Hodges-george
Good

Very good, wonderful good love story, good story of rags to riches would read again. Would recommend to a friend
Amy Griffith
Sep 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
I didn't care for this book at all. I found it far too critical of religion.
Teri Pre
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
Once you get past the Pennsylvania Dutch dialect, this is a pretty good read. It's the tale of a girl's struggle for education in spite of her over-bearing father. I enjoyed it.
Karen Mayes
It was a romance, between a Mennonite girl and a Harvard-educated teacher. It also gave an idea of how the Mennonite culture was like, in the 19th century. It was lukewarm, almost boring.
Kristina
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
such an inspiring story of a girl who defeated all odds and freed herself from what was expected of her to what was her destiny.
Joann Palmer
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly your this book....you mentioned the Hess name and Donegal and my Hesses came from there in PA...also were Dunkards...I could not put this book down...loved it !!!

I loved this book!!!! You mentioned Hess family of Donegal of which my Hess family came from there in PA...very well written and could not put this book down...the Hesses were Dunkards and very ,very strict with their kids so story rang true...loved it !!!!!
Edith
This is a book that I first read as an adolescent. It was one of the few novels on the family bookshelf. (The other books were mostly religious commentaries or old and heavy history tomes read by my father. If you wanted to know anything about Ohio Indian history, my father had the book and the stories.)

Tillie: A Mennonite Maid, published in 1904, is the story of a young Pennsylvania Dutch girl with a passion for learning coupled with little opportunity for doing so. The setting is Lancaster, P
Jacque Holst
  • The Barbary Pirates
  • The Romance of a Christmas Card
  • Amanda: A Daughter of the Mennonites
  • Wilbur and Orville Wright: Young Fliers
  • Hills of Wheat (Amish of Lancaster #2)
  • A Weed Is a Flower: The Life of George Washington Carver
  • Lady Liberty: A Biography
  • Mary Queen of Scots (Makers of History, #2)
  • Language of Flowers
  • A Shared Dream (Dreams #1-2)
  • Ride a Dark Horse
  • Somewhere Lies the Moon (Victorian Trilogy, #3)
  • Mrs Craddock
  • Three Young Pilgrims
  • Ella Finds Love Again (Little Valley #3)
  • Abigail Adams: Girl of Colonial Days

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
  • The Comfort of Strangers
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Endless Night
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Where She Went (If I Stay #2)
  • Lilac Bus
    $7.99 $1.99
  • If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)
  • God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater