Start by marking “The Tale of Two Bad Mice (Rabbit Ears)” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Two Bad Mice (Rabbit Ears)

The Tale of Two Bad Mice

(The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

To celebrate Peter's birthday, Frederick Warne is publishing new editions of all 23 of Potter's original tales, which take the very first printings of Potter's works as their guide.
The aim of these editions is to be as close as possible to Beatrix Potter's intentions while benefiting from modern printing and design techniques.

The colors and details of the watercolors in t
Published March 7th 2002 by Warne (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Two Bad Mice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Two Bad Mice

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Are the mice really that bad?

Sure, they break into the house of an inanimate object (big crime I know) and smash up her stuff. But who cares? She’s only a porcelain doll. And the two mice are only trying to feed their babies. If anything they’re the victims. They’ve been teased by the fake food in the windows and tempted by falsehood. When they realise they can’t get into it by normal means, they smash it up to try and eat it. I wouldn’t call them bad, opportunistic maybe but not bad.

description

The dolls,
Spencer Orey
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
My kid's grandma bought us a 12 book set of the original Beatrix Potter books. I'll be reviewing them at random and out of order!

I thought I'd start on a high point. This is maybe the best of the bunch and has aged fairly well compared to the other books. No children get beaten by their parents or lose their parents to the farmer or anything awful like that.

The two mice are fun and their adventure has an ok twist to it. One of them has the forgettable name Tom Thumb but the other mouse is named
Paul Bryant
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
DON PETER RABBIT :

Lucinda, we know each other for years, but this is the first time you come to me for help. I don't remember the last time you invited me to your burrow for carrots...

LUCINDA :

Don Peter, I'll give you anything you want... I ask for Justice. Make the two bad mice suffer as we suffer. How much shall we pay you?

DON PETER :

So now you come to me and say Don Peter Rabbit, you must give me justice. And you don't ask in respect or friendship. And you don't think to call me Bunfather; i
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
So I may be overdosing a bit on nostalgia tonight, but I'm feeling oddly sentimental and wanted to share my thoughts.

I had a really rough day today. Christmastime is a time when we all think back on our lives for the past year. What did 2015 bring us? What is it that we remember as we reflect? Good times, bad times, scary times, happy times. We revel in the memories of friends and family, we sadden as we remember loss. We laugh when we think back to times we did stupid things or embarrassing thi
Manny
Celebrity Death Match Special: The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch versus The Tale of Two Bad Mice

"You see them often?" asked Hunca. Her tone was casual, but Tom immediately caught the edge in her voice.

"Who do you mean?" he said, pretending not to understand. It was a strategy that had worked before.

Hunca moved a step closer to the layout. "The Chinese," she breathed, unable to contain her excitement any longer as she gazed at the doll's-house. Her ample breasts rose and fell under the thin s
Annet
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
So I'm getting to know the Beatrix Potter stories. Quite by accident, I found two booklets on my shelves quite unexpectedly. This is my third one, still cute, but a little less cute than The tale of Samuel Whiskers or the Roly-Poly pudding and The tale of the pie and the patty pan, which I found a bit more sparkling and humorous.
Anyway cute, these Beatrix Potter books...
Lisa Vegan
I don't remember this from when I was young but I probably had it read to me. I liked this quite a bit more than I expected. It's actually very funny, the mice are cute, the story is different, in a good way, and it works well from beginning to end. I love dollhouses but the mice feel frustration when they find that the food in the dollhouse isn't real. What happens makes for a good story that holds up well even though it was written over a century ago.
Jordan
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A scathing social commentary on the glossy veneer of consumer culture.

Also, there is a cute mouse in a dress named Hunca Munca!

Buy this title from Powell's Books.
Calista
I think this is a children's version of a frat party. Two mice come into a home that is not there's expecting to be feed and the food is fake so they destroy the doll house and steal stuff. It's ok in the end because they pay for it. A very weird tale indeed.
Prashant
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
Tom Thumb and Hunca and Munca, the two bad mice, repaying for all they have stolen from the doll house.

description

This is good!
Will
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: britain
This is still as funny as when I read it as a boy, when just the name "Hunca Munca" could make me burst out laughing.
Kristine Hansen
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such bad little mice! I could so easily see mice leaving this kind of wreckage everywhere. I think that's one of the things I love about Beatrix Potter is that she never forgets mice are mice even with human qualities. Great story that brings back happy memories as I read this.
momma.hailey
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My 3 year old daughter brings me this book several times a day to read.
Katherine
Anyone who has ever been enthralled with doll's houses and their miniature furnishings would find this story delightful.
Mimi
yes, I've read another Beatrix Potter book... My nieces and nephews are coming to stay for a while, so I'm pre-reading loads of children's books, just to be prepared.
Jonathan
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
When Tom Thumb and his wife Hunca Munca (what were her parents thinking?) break into Lucinda and Jane's delightfully furnished home, they go on a rampage through the house, destroying the fake food, climbing the chimney, and stealing anything that will fit through their own front door. When the 'single' ladies return from an afternoon's perambulation they can only look on in mute horror at the devastation that awaits them. The mice have the gall to return later and leave a token sixpence to pay ...more
GoldGato
Two mice, named Tom Thumb and Hunca Munca (his wife), break into a dollhouse and wreck havoc. They remind me of children who don't get their way and start destructive habits in anger.

Now, the mice do repent in the end, but only after walking away with the goods. Beatrix Potter just did not have a very high opinion of mousies.

Book Season = Year Round
~☆~Autumn♥♥
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My son's favorite book by Beatrix Potter. He would laugh and laugh over this book so I came to love it even more.
Kimberley doruyter
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
just too cute.
Robin Thomas
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Oh no, I've fallen behind in my reading!
This book may be considered cheating.
But I did enjoy it and love the illustrations.
So, now I have one more book to read to meet
my challenge.
Helen (Helena/Nell)
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Warning: this review is very considerably longer than the book under discussion.

I have no idea how old I was when I first read The Tale of Two Bad Mice. I only know it feels as familiar as family photographs. Every detail of it is so familiar that once I must have known it inside out, though I doubt I’ve read it for half a century.

I imagine it would have first been read to me, and then I would have read it myself, and I was an early reader, so maybe at about four years old I learned that mice w
Rahmadiyanti
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, picturebook
Ternyata masih banyak buku Beatrix Potter yang belum saya baca. Yang ini baru beli kemarin dan emang beneran belum baca (soalnya kadang suka beli lagi buku yang sudah pernah dibaca :D).

Ceritanya sih agak aneh... eh nggak aneh banget sih, namanya juga fairy tales. Tentang dua tikus suami istri (Tom Thumb & Hunca Munca) yang bikin "kerusuhan" di rumah Lucinda dan Jane, karena makanan yang mereka curi nggak bisa dimakan. Kenapa makanan tersebut nggak bisa dimakan? Dan apa yang harus mereka tebu
RH Walters
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chrissie
Cute, lovely, little read about a couple of mice who go looking around a doll house.

This is my first Beatrix Potter read, and I'm kicking myself for not reading it as a child. Definitely worth a read.
Jennifer B.
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Poor little mice. Yes they are naughty, but they are also victims.
Jade Evans
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
The two bad mice aren't really bad at all.
Michael Mills
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Lacking in substance (even for Potter) (view spoiler) but that's all made up for when you realise it's basically an episode of The Twilight Zone for kids. (And the illustrations are as beautiful as ever of course)
Melle
Jul 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone considering squatting
Recommended to Melle by: Katie
Squatting mice on a rampage through a dollhouse, or, again, WTF, Beatrix? This was cute and weird. Victorians were weird in general, though, so no surprises there. Zelda wanted to eat this book, but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the mice or the size of the book or Z's terrible habit of chewing on the corners of library books.
Lydia
Jun 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Dad finally finished reading the tale of two bad mice to me.
Biena (The Library Mistress)
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
They aren't bad mice after all. Hahaha

I still hate rodents. >.<
  • The Little Duck
  • The Mousehole Cat
  • The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes
  • Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit (Rabbit Ears)
  • The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin
  • The Tailor of Gloucester (Rabbit Ears)
  • The Tale of Benjamin Bunny
  • The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle
  • The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher (Rabbit Ears)
  • The Story of A Fierce Bad Rabbit