Start by marking “Empire of Desire (Empire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Empire of Desire (Empire, #1)

Empire of Desire

(Empire #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  8,794 ratings  ·  1,071 reviews
My forbidden husband.

I kissed my father’s best friend and it kind of didn’t go well.
Not only because he’s eighteen years older than me—but he also didn’t like it.
Not one bit.
In my defense, I didn’t mean to fall for him. It just happened.
Nathaniel Weaver is the most attractive man I’ve ever seen with enough charisma to blind the sun.
He’s bigger than the world, owns half of
Published November 4th 2021

To ask other readers questions about Empire of Desire, please sign up.
Ana Flavia it's good to read before or after... I always defend that it's better for understand the character, in this case Nate. But you can read without having…moreit's good to read before or after... I always defend that it's better for understand the character, in this case Nate. But you can read without having read the duology, yes.(less)

·  8,794 ratings  ·  1,071 reviews

Start your review of Empire of Desire (Empire, #1)
 ⚔Irunía⚔
Admit it, you bitches are giving this book low ratings because you're salty that Gwen has Uncle Nate to kiss her goodnight and you don't , aren't you? 💋💋

♡tanaz♡
2.5 stars ⭐⭐

RK go back to writing dark/mafia book challenge because this book... ☝️ you're done. ☝️ you're done.

No one is more shocked than me at the rating I'm giving. I've been dying and gagging for this book for the LONGEST time and when I finally got my grabby hands at the copy my emotions went from 📈 to this 📉.

Thanks to the lovely kitty kat for BR this with me and for hala who watched our reactions and got so excited she joined and re-read too 😂

It's been so long since I sat down and wrote
Rina Kent
Jul 14, 2021 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
EMPIRE OF DESIRE IS A COMPLETE STANDALONE!
Forbidden age gap, father's best friend, marriage of convenience romance.

AMAZON US ➜ https://amzn.to/3qR7ac1
INTERNATIONAL ➜ https://smarturl.it/EODBuy
AUDIOBOOK ➜ https://amzn.to/31D106V

Teaser:

“You should be scared, because…” Nate's thumb slides from behind my ear to the hollow of my throat, to the insane pulse that’s currently self-destructing me. “If you don’t stop flaunting yourself around, if you keep provoking me and don’t stay in your lane, I’ll be
Matilda
2 stars

The best part about this book was when it ended and I got to read the preview for Knox's book 💋

🍌There was zero angst or tension

🍌I got so much secondhand embarrassment, especially at the beginning when the heroine kept throwing herself at the hero—

The moment my lips touch his, I think I've reached another level of existence...I move my mouth against his closed one and even dart my tongue out to lick his lower lip.

→ma'am...he is not kissing you back, please stop assaulting him 😁

🍌There's a
Crystal
Nov 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Sweet baby Jesus, I need an Uncle Nate.

After reading so many mixed reviews, I do what I do best. I went in with an open mind and judged myself. I always love an honest review, negative or positive, unless they are bashing the reader or the author.

At Gwyneth’s eighteenth birthday party, she kissed Nate, her father's best friend. Nate, however, didn’t reciprocate. Now twenty years old, the unthinkable happens, and for convenience, she marries Nate. On paper only.

I didn’t know what to think of G
Bookaddict lass
Nov 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
all the reviews prepared me for the worst😶 idk it's not a romeo and juliette type of thing but it worked just fine for what was worth😅

what i liked:

possessive hero who fell for h pretty quickly
imperfect h who did chase a bit but not in a gross way. i think it's okay she acted impulsively at times like any human being does sometimes😜
good chemistry
banter between her dad and hero

what I found annoying:

basic ott characteristics (too bad when love for vanilla is one of the key personality traits😅)
why
hala
Nov 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
✩ 3.75 stars.

’Once upon a time, I thought I'd gotten over him. turns out, I'm still waiting for him to kiss me back.’

a ‎ ‎ b r i e f ‎ ‎ s u m m a r y:
Since she was fifteen years old, Gwyneth has had a crush on her father’s best friend Nathaniel and it only grew as time went on. On her eighteenth birthday, tired of keeping her feelings bottled up, Gwen makes an impulsive move and kisses Nate, catching him off guard. Being her father’s best friend and business partner, he remains apatheti
Lori [semi-hiatus]
1* for the other characters and 1* for the preview for the next book.

Serious question: Has RK forgotten how to do chemistry between characters?

This is the same issue I had with the Thorns duet. The chemistry was close to nonexistent. I get that she tried to tread carefully around the I knew you since the day you were born issue so it didn't come across as creepy or predatorial, but it wasn't done well IMO. I didn't feel any connection between them. They also seemed too much of archetypes
ren ♡ (hiatus)
I find it really bizarre when authors assign the most random things as a character’s defining feature, because being the vanilla girl is not a flex. I can give her music tastes and love for white sneakers a pass, but vanilla? Vanilla milkshakes? With breakfast, lunch and dinner??

It's a no from me.

Vanilla milkshake aside, this book could have been so much more! I'm not a big fan of the whole dad's best friend trope but I was really looking forward to the other tropes.

Sadly, the author doesn’t re
D.L. Howe
Nov 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Five stars because uncle Nate said so and that’s final!

God, this girl breaks my fucking heart. The love she has with her dad is a fine line between wonderful and co-dependent. As a parent I know I need to give my kiddo the space to spread his wings so I know he’ll be ok with or without me. (Did you just think of that U2 song? Because I did)

He’s not the knight sweetheart, he’s the dragon.

Jeez, his bedside manner leaves much to be desired. I’m relieved he’s explaining that she’s not a burden but
flor
Shelves: 2021, series
oh my god. she did it. she did it again.

another shitty book 😍

Llakshmi
I need RK to write about a fat guy with nothing but a good personality. Because I cant get over the fact that every single fucking person here has a six pack.

“My dad hasn’t aged much. At thirty-seven going on thirty-eight, he still has a strong build that fills out his suit. He’s tall and broad and has an eight-pack. No kidding. He’s the healthiest man I know. But he also has a few age lines that make him the wisest ever—aside from a certain someone.”

The book was well. We all knew it was over t
Natasha
Nov 04, 2021 rated it it was ok
First i need to say that i hate the model on the cover so Nate in my mind did not look like a rat!😌

*also warning spoilers ahead*

I have love and hate relationship with Rina's books but ever since i've read The thorns duet(which was so bad btw) i anticipated Nate's book bc he was the most intriguing character there.
So when i saw that it's a BIG age gap book i had some doubts.😂
First i really dislike age gaps. That's obv my personal preference and i can get over 10 years, 12 years max but an 18 y
ApoorvaReads
Nov 06, 2021 rated it did not like it
me and rina have such a good relationship going on- I’ve rated all the 3 books I read recently by her 1 star. You guys wish u were me😏😏

but on a serious note, this book was really bland and meh or maybe it’s just cause I have a really bad book hangover.
kat
Nov 04, 2021 rated it did not like it
Neelakshi
Nov 05, 2021 rated it it was ok
The way i waited FOREVER FOR THIS.

Ya'll cmon take a seat we'll need to sit through all this rant.

Okay before I word vomit let us all go over the plot.
Nathaniel Weaver is best of friends with KIngsley Shaw who has a daughter Gwyneth Shaw . Gwen acts on her crush and kisses 'uncle Nate' on her 18th birthday.
After that he avoids her like a plague for the next two years ONLY to marry her after Kingsley gets into an accident and falls into a coma.
He swears to not touch her only to finger her af
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
This series sounds Awesome! I can’t wait.

Ms reads a lot
Feb 10, 2022 rated it liked it
Shelves: age-gap
Such an annoying heroine!

I fell in love with Rina Kent when I read the Deception Trilogy. It’s one of my favourite series. I’ve recommended it to countless people. The writing was top notch, the characters had so much depth, the plot was intricate and engaging, and the smexy scenes were hot AF. So I was expecting more of the same in this book. I thought it ticked all of my boxed:

✔️ age-gap
✔️ taboo relationship (dad’s best friend/uncle figure)
✔️ arranged marriage

Sadly though, I was disappointed.
K
empire :

#1: empire of desire ↠ 1.5 stars!
#2: empire of sin ↠ dnf at 60%.
#3: empire of hate ↠ 2 stars.

for the sake of balance as well as manifesting a modicum of optimism within my very pessimistic self, i'll add “what i liked”:

-ˏˋ king
that would be kingsley, my overbearingly overprotective daddy turned comatose daddy turned overbearingly overprotective, psychotic, and totally unhinged daddy.

what can i say except for; the man who's still low-key comatose when half-ass attempting to drown
Hannah
Let’s get the “baby girl” issue out of the way before I start,
Every time he called her “babygirl” I was like “insert miss juicy grimacing meme*
So a short summary of the book:
Gwen has been obsessed with her dad’s best friend AKA Uncle Nate for years and when she turns 18 she takes a shot at it and kisses him and obviously he rejects her *meh*
Fast forward to when she’s 20, her dad has an accident and ends up in a coma and as the only possible way to keep her assets since she isn’t 21 yet, Uncle Na
Asteria
Jul 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: im-scared
Its Nate, oh my god, I can't wait till November 😭😭
description
Biology Chemistry
Nov 04, 2021 rated it did not like it
It is very disappointing to write this review but honestly, there’s no way I can love this book. It was by far my least favorite book from Rina. I did not feel any love between the main characters. I only felt lust, and that too was mainly from the female’s side.

I don’t know how to put into words how I feel about Nate. He really disappointed me. He seemed content with or without Gwen in his life. It felt like the only reason he decided to let her into his life was because he would be getting to
💜VGreedyReader🖤

⭐️5 empathic stars ⭐️

An addictive age-gap romance. Rina delivers the ultimate treat with this magnificent story. You know when a book is good as you can’t put it down, you can’t tame the compulsion to read, to want more it’s one you can’t control, when said book still keeps you on your toes and gives you shivers just to think back to its magic then there’s no doubt that book is brilliant.

~𝑯𝒆'𝒔 𝒂 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒆𝒇. 𝑩𝒆𝒄𝒂𝒖𝒔𝒆 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒔'𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒔𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕, 𝑰'𝒎 𝒓𝒐𝒃𝒃𝒆𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒃𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒉 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝑰 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒑𝒖𝒕
Carla Bulian
Jan 16, 2022 rated it really liked it
3,5. I thought repetitive and boring sometimes. Unfortunately because I love her books.
Jenn (The Book Refuge)
There was a lot of crazy and over reaction in this one... but it also had some really good parts. The heroine may have drove me up a wall and the hero was a bit too cruel in the way Rina Kent does it...

But.. I liked the anxiety and depression rep. The hero resisting her for dear life. Some Baby Girl calling and some Big Dick Energy.. so I'm gonna give it a

4 Stars
4 on the spice scale.
crazyyummy
Nov 03, 2021 rated it did not like it
alka [hiatus]
May 18, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
3.25 stars :)

pardon me, my whorishness for age gap romances knows no bounds these days; so much so that im willing to let go of the intermittently refrenced vanilla milk shakes (ew, gag) and the atrocious writing and the not so loveable main characters.
☽ mira (hiatus)
2.5⭐️

“Once upon a time, I thought I’d gotten over him.
Turns out, I’m still waiting for him to kiss me back.”

i'm a lil bit disappointed. i was excited for months for this and then when it came out, i saw all those reviews i was skeptical.

it wasn't "bad", it was just so boring. i feel like this trope is so overused that authors need to add something unique or else its a carbon copy of another book.

i loved nate. i hated gwen. i didn't see any chemistry between them and i just felt li
gina
Nov 04, 2021 rated it it was ok
Jesus Christ please someone take away the covers of the men who look like they want to die staring at nothing with an awkward pose.
Fre06 Begum
First book by this author I just could not finish!

• The Don: The Oath Duet (The Valentini Family, #1)
  • Fallen Rose (Beast of Bishop's Landing, #3)
  • The Affair (The Evolution of Sin Trilogy, #1)
  • The Lady : The Oath Duet (The Valentini Family, #2)
  • The Spanish Love Deception
  • Trouble
  • The Monster (Boston Belles, #3)
  • Second Comes War (Promised in Blood, #2)
  • Fake It 'Til You Break It
  • The Legacy (Off-Campus, #5)
  • Waste My Time (North Haven University #4)
  • The Stopover (The Miles High Club, #1)
  • The Unrequited
  • Tease Me Once
  • The Fine Print (Dreamland Billionaires, #1)
  • Making Faces
  • Cruel Prince (Royal Hearts Academy, #1)
  • Petty Rage (Westbrook Blues, #4)
See top shelves…
Rina Kent is an international bestselling author of everything enemies to lovers romance.
Darkness is her playground, suspense is her best friend, and twists are her brain’s food. However, she likes to think she’s a romantic at heart in some way, so don’t kill her hopes just yet.
Her heroes are anti-heroes and villains because she was always the weirdo who fell in love with the guys no one roots f

Empire (4 books)
  • Empire of Sin (Empire, #2)
  • Empire of Hate (Empire, #3)
  • Empire of Lust (Empire, #4)

News & Interviews

Mateo Askaripour is a Brooklyn-based writer whose first novel, Black Buck—which Colson Whitehead calls a “mesmerizing novel, executing a...
“You’re the most colorful fucking thing I’ve ever met, Gwyneth.” 1 likes
“Maybe safe is what I should choose. Because who wants to be ripped apart with no hopes of ever pulling themselves together again?” 1 likes