Start by marking “Grandmothers Counsel the World: Women Elders Offer Their Vision for Our Planet” as Want to Read:
Grandmothers Counsel the World: Women Elders Offer Their Vision for Our Planet

Grandmothers Counsel the World: Women Elders Offer Their Vision for Our Planet

We are thirteen indigenous grandmothers. . . . We are deeply concerned with the unprecedented destruction of our Mother Earth, the atrocities of war, the global scourge of poverty, the prevailing culture of materialism, the epidemics that threaten the health of the Earth’s peoples, and with the destruction of indigenous ways of life.

We, the International Council of Thirt
Published November 14th 2006 by Trumpeter

Start your review of Grandmothers Counsel the World: Women Elders Offer Their Vision for Our Planet
Karl Edgar
Mar 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Call the grandmothers! I actually believe that its up to women to save this filthy civilization, and thus and either way, I do too, look up to wise grandmothers!

But the problem with humanistic books, such as this, is that it should be much more articulate and accurate in expression. Saying and repeating “we need to strive toward love, harmony and hope” every 5 pages - does not exactly cut the mustard anymore, does it?
I mean there’s gotta be another level to this - healing your inner self, pray
Natasa Tovornik
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
Amazing theory how the different ethnic groups have more contact to the four elements, and that now is the time to unite the knowledge again. It is a story about how ancient knowledge has been forgotten and is being heard again. I loved to read the stories of the grandmothers and even more their messages. It is also great to get in touch with the feminine side. Lovely read.
Karin Gastreich
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting collection of teachings by women elders from tribes around the world. Their message focuses on environmental protection, peace, and using tribal wisdom to build a better future. While I enjoyed the read, there were times when the rambling nature of the narrative was cumbersome and distracting. Recommended for readers interested in environmental issues, indigenous systems of knowledge, and women's leadership in the contemporary world.
Oz Ortega
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Uno de esos libros que todos deberían leer para tomar consciencia de como estamos destruyendo el mundo y como podemos empezar desde nosotros a generar cambios que nos lleven al Mundo que todos queremos. Trece abuelas indígenas de diversas partes del mundo, desde Brazil hasta el Tíbet, narran su aprendizaje sagrado y lo comparten con la esperanza de que los humanos aprendan a desarrollar su poder y encuentren el lugar que de verdad nos corresponde en este Universo.
Joyce
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiration
Amazing. The thirteen grandmothers who have come together are extraordinary. How they came together, their individual histories, their stories and their sincere desire to help humanity is remarkable. Everyone should know about them, but especially the women of the world. I recall hearing or reading that the Pope said that there will be world peace when the women are in control. This book shares this message and I have been deeply touched.
Celeen
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book read like a term paper rather than a novel. Although the theory behind the book was very good - the elders that were involved in this counsel were independently very interesting and wise. I enjoyed the biography session and the remainder of the book was common sense and written in a very dry and repetitive manner. I would like to have updates on the individual elders. I would not recommend this book other than for research.
Sharon
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
A collection of words pf advice from indigenous "grandmothers" around the world. Most of it entails taking care of the earth which is what climate change advocates are all about.
Diane Scholten
Recently, Beatrice Long Visitor Holy Dance, a Lakota wisewoman died. Her death got me looking into learning more about her and I came across this book. I remembered hearing about this council back when it occurred (2006 I think) but then it got off my radar. I find it truly remarkable that these 13 wisewomen elders from various indigenous cultures came together to share wisdom - that's amazing! I guess I expected the book to be more specifically prophetic or have more unexpected bits of wisdom. ...more
Ingrid
Aug 10, 2008 rated it liked it
This is an amazing book of women elders from differen parts of the World giving their wisdom and vision for our planet. What I learned from this book is that we need to listen to women elders and take their instructions seriously. Most interesting were the similarities of their spiritualty even though their were from different parts of the world. They were from countries like Africa,Brazil,Tibet, Nepal, Mexico and central and western US States.
They formed a"Statment of International Council Of
Janet Tamez
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am currently reading this book and definitely come away with a little piece of wisdom shared by these women elders. The book is broken into chapters with each grandmother's story and message to the world. This is a great read for anyone interested in learning about the sacred teachings of native americans.
Karen Carnabucci
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Thought-provoking comments from elder women from the four corners of the earth, talking about our responsiblities to care for the earth and each other. It would be a good book for a book discussion group.
Pam
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wanted to read something spiritual during the holidays, and this was the perfect book to pick up. So many challenges in my daily life right now. This book helped me to ground myself again. I now feel ready for the New Year. Especially loved the natural healing chapter and the chapter on prayer.
Sue Rowland
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't remember how I actually became introduced to the book. But...meeting the Grandmothers was a sacred gift that changed my life. This book is always near me. My family is in unity with the messages of The 13 Indigenous Grandmothers. I can't wait to see them again. Support Native culture!
Betty
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book one chapter at a time, taking time in between to reflect upon the wisdom of each of the 13 Original Grandmothers. Their writings provide a strong foundation for family, life, healing, and womanhood. Their wisdom is not to be taken lightly is the circle of life...
Dyan
Jun 20, 2011 added it
Accessible, frank, and vitally needed messages! Saw them in person too. They bring indigenous cultures and ancestry with them in their daily lives and the work they are doing.
Alison
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
These grandmothers have a valuable teaching. Their wisdom is a healing for what ails us. I am grateful to have discovered this book and hope to carry this wisdom forward.
Kim
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book with an urgent message everyone needs to hear and act upon.
Threedogs
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Good information from our grandmothers. We must take care of our mother!
Luce Cronin
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very wonderful book, written in a very urgent tone counseling us all to heal the planet and ourselves. This book rings true - definitely not New Age garbage.
Jaina Bee
A vital introduction to the International Council of 13 Indigenous Grandmothers.
Tara
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book filled me with inspiration!
Anne Ward
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thesis
A book I'm currently reading for my thesis...but I would read it anyway. It is full of wisdom and insight.
Jak5
Dec 16, 2012 added it
Loved it . . .
Kait
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wonderful book.
Jeanne
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book. One I'm sure to read again several times!
Apr 24, 2012
dlacroix
rated it did not like it
Jan 16, 2019
Alzbeta
Jan 17, 2016
Julia
Nov 03, 2009
Jessweitz
Aug 06, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Dread Nation (Dread Nation, #1)
  • The Hellfire Club
  • Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore
  • Conversations with God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Book 1
  • Trumpocalypse: Restoring American Democracy
  • Mini-missions for Simplicity: small actions for massive change
  • Surviving Autocracy
  • Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants
  • The Tin Drum
  • Tango
  • The Emigrants
  • The Police
  • Vatzlav; A Play In 77 Scenes
  • Medical Medium: Secrets Behind Chronic and Mystery Illness and How to Finally Heal
  • Scenes from a Marriage
  • The Anti-Christ
  • On Television
  • Neljakuningapäev (Loomingu Raamatukogu, #1/2015)

News & Interviews