Start by marking “Beyond Eden” as Want to Read:
Beyond Eden

Beyond Eden

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  3,026 Ratings  ·  161 Reviews
Coulter at her romantic suspense best!

First published in 1992, Beyond Eden is the heart-stopping story of a successful New York City model who must face her deadly past when she meets a tough ex-cop turned private investigator.

Linday Foxe is a successful model in New York, a woman who hides behind a new name to protect herself from a past of betrayal and treachery and a p
Mass Market Paperback, 439 pages
Published October 10th 2000 by Berkley Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Eden

Jacqueline
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romantic suspense fans
This was my second reading of this book. I liked it just as well the second time. In my opinion this is one of CC better books. The characterizations of both the hero and the heroine were well developed and in depth. You could really see where each of them was coming from.

The story starts in the present for just a quick glimpse then goes back and tells the whole 11 years story in order. It wasn't told in annoying flashbacks but straight forward hitting the high points mostly from her POV but en
bookjunkie
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
The premise of an abused, unloved girl being raped and betrayed is certainly compelling, but the book devolved to such overblown silliness at the end that I couldn't maintain my suspension of disbelief to buy the story.

(view spoiler)
Sapheron
On a typical day, I'd have run screaming from this book, with it's ghastly cover and not-too-appealing blurb. I still don't know quite what made me pick it. Still, when it just started (up until Paris), I kept thinking to myself, though I knew from the blurb and reviews how it turned out, that this was almost frighteningly the premise of an old school HP. The heroine's family is savage to her, even the ones who love her most seem eager to send her away (there is, of course, no apparent reason fo ...more
Christina Camacho
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book moved me. I myself has trust issues when it comes to relationship. I must say I have come to a point of building myself a wall from the opposite sex. The hard thing is, even people you already new for a long time, especially men, will just slip off your well-trusted circle because of an "event" you never expected and you never wanted to happen. I wasn't raped like the case of "Eden" but we all have this "event" in our lives wherein we tend to withdraw from our daily activities and give ...more
Kim
If your looking for angsty and dark with a super sweet ending this book might be for you. It is not a mystery. It is, a book about a tortured heroine dealing with hateful family members and finding an awesome hero that helps her heal slowly and become the women she was meant to be. Love this hero, love the way he sweetly heals this beautiful woman. Awesome read. One of my favorites! (Warning: it is angsty and it does involve the rape of the heroine NOT by the hero)
Indrani Sen
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: usa
A much needed nice light read. Liked the romance. Definitely liked the main character - Eden. She is very kickass - literally. I enjoyed the mystery much, but was slightly disappointed when the killer was revealed.

ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK, JUNE 2013: 2 STARS

This didn't hold my interest enough to finish it. My audiobook version was from my library and an old one, narrated by a single female narrator, Deborah Hazlett, not the Audible version which is narrated by Renee Raudman, Paul Costanzo.

I recall liking all of Coulter's contemporary romantic suspense except her FBI ones, of which I only read one or two, didn't like and never read another. I'd read BE when it was first published and certainly do not have any
April
Nov 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Free Kindle download. I expected to hate this book as I've read Catherine Coulter once before and didn't like her work, but I was actually surprised to find myself liking the story toward the end. It didn't begin well for me, though. The heroine's family seemed over-the-top mean and abusive, and the heroine herself as a teen was portrayed in such a stereotypically awkward way that makes her unattractive even to the reader, which just makes no sense to me. Also, the head hopping — the forever and ...more
Chana
I think Catherine Coulter is crude in her writing and she uses the words "damn" and "Jesus" a lot, such as "Jesus," Taylor said. He looked at Barry. He sighed. "He's telling the truth, damn him."
I wouldn't spend time with someone who spoke like that, why am I reading this book? On the other hand, you know those book review cliches like "compulsively readable" and "a page-turner"? Those actually apply here. Not only did I read it, I stayed up late to finish it.
I really don't want to discuss the s
Eve
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a story about ugly duckling turning into a beautiful swan. It had some promise but sadly this story had one of those heroines I really hate -- pathetic, no backbone and suffers through abuse without fighting back for far too long. The nastiness Lindsay's "perfect" half-sister and her father showed turned me off pretty quick. It was irritating how long it took for Lindsay/Eden to fight back and show some backbone.
Even though Lindsay was raped by her brother-in-law and her father solely
Noelle
WOW, I loved this book. I hated to put it down, couldn't wait to finish it but didn't want it to end.lol
At first I thought that Catherine Coulter went to far with the evil family theme and how bad Lindsey's (h) family was to her. But then I remembered Dave Pelzer's story,A Child Called It: One Child's Courage to Survive by Dave Pelzer Summary & Study Guide and realized that yes a family can single out a child to torment. Lindsey doesn't suffer physical abuse from her family but the emotional
Deb
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
another re-read for me in my adult age. This was a non stop read. When I first went into my many treasure of books to find an oldie but goodie, I couldn't remember what this book was about. Even as I read it only bits and pieces came back to me. As I started reading, I remembered why Catherine Coulter is one of my favorite authors. Excellent storylines. In this book, the reader is captured on the first page. When I read a book, I want to be so in tune with the book its like I'm there with the ch ...more
Gerry Bartlett
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, mystery
This is an old Coulter that I found in a used bookstore. I don't know how I missed it the first time since I love her books, especially her mysteries. Lindsey Foxe belongs to the family from hell. Her father despises her, her beautiful sister mocks her and her only ally is her grandmother. When her sister marries a prince, Lindsey gets a crush on him with disastrous results. I won't go into the complications, but she is basically traumatized and it changes her life. The time line of this book di ...more
Angela
This potboiler from the prolific Coulter combines a brisk mystery with a spicy romance between a late-blooming beauty and a tough ex-cop." (Publishers Weekly)

I read this several years ago, and re-read it because a friend said the author had updated it. Other than a few pop culture references, the story is as I remember.

It's a tough read at first. The violence in the opening chapters ... whoa. And Eden/Lindsey's family is so vicious as to strain credulity. Still, it's a decent way to spend sever
Terrie
Apr 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
Although I have enjoyed Catherine Coulter's FBI series, I do not read her romance novels. Because the synopsis presented this as a mystery, I thought it might be good. The rape scene in the beginning of the book was so graphic that I could go no further. Not a book I would recommend.
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A bit confusing at the beginning but man was it worth it to stick around for a few chapters! A story of new beginnings in life and love. I really enjoyed Eden and Taylor's story.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This was my mother's ... I read it once and have no interest in reading it again. Graphically described rape of a 15-year-old? No thank you.
Linda
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely wonderful book about a young woman who let a tragedy in her life control her every thought, every movement and every relationship she faced. It is also a story of a young woman who finally overcame her fears and learned to stand up for herself. She triumphed over her family who had always put her down and came out stronger than she ever thought she would. A great romance and suspense rolled up into a great story.
nancy hines
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Consequences, Both Good and Bad

Few things are worse than rape - especially for the female gender. Here is a story of rape and - curiously - romance. What a strange trail that twists and turns from the ugliest of happenings to the sweetest of events. Enjoy one of Coulter's really good tales.
SM
Feb 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Andy
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Can see her skills developing here to what she shows us in her FBI novels, good ending
Deb White
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
2 sisters, both become models, one is raped by her brother in law. What happens after with a man she meets and their relationship.
Herman Fassett
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dropped, unclean
I think I'm scarred for life. DNF.
No really, I'm not kidding. The premise is played out and I couldn't read it.
Hurayrah
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: got-at-home
The story was ok but a bit predictable. The writing style is also something else, can be confusing especially at the beginning.
Margaret
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent overall story. I found it dragged somewhat in the middle. I am glad I finished it, though. The ending was not what I expected.
Ketty López Cervantes
Entretenido
Summer Sharp
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oldie but goodie

This originally came out in the 90s. I still love it. I have no idea how many times I've read this. It is an old standby of a reread for me :)
Enisca L Jones
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story when I first read it and still do everytime I do a reread.
Natalie
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Normally I stay away from romance books that involve a heroine that's been raped. Especially when the author has a descriptive flashback or prologue. I freely confess I skipped the pages in which the heroine is assaulted. I don't have the stomach for it. To then give the book five stars amazes even me, but I loved the characters in it a great deal.

I don't profess to know about the mental state of a woman after a sex assault. I've heard differing opinions on a woman being able to have a sexual re
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
Coulter's Best? Hush Your Mouth! This Isn't Anyone's Best.

I'm not even sure where to start. I'm stunned. Completely stunned. I got pretty darn far into this book before I couldn't take it anymore. If I'd been reading the dead tree version I might have hulked out and ripped it to shreds.

**SPOILERS AHEAD!! CAUTION!!*

Okay, so now we can get into this. Beyond Eden has an interesting setup, I'll give it that. It's so poorly executed though, with stilted dialogue and characters so over the top that t
  • Impulse
  • Triple Exposure
  • Brave Heart
  • The Cruelest Cut (Detective Jack Murphy #1)
  • Never Marry a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #3)
  • Colder than Ice (Mordecai Young, #2)
  • On Fire
  • Touchstone
  • Crush (Karen Vail #2)
  • Dancing In The Lowcountry
  • Watchlist
  • Girl of Vengeance (Rachel's Peril, #3; Thompson Sisters, #7)
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • War Wounded (The War Trilogy #2.5)
  • Crossing the Line
  • Only You (Angel Ridge, #1)
  • Keegan's Lady (Keegan-Paxton #1)
  • Striking Distance (I-Team, #6)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
  • Bittersweet
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Twilight / Life and Death (Twilight, #1, 1.75)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Hard Love (Hacker #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • A Walk to Remember
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Secrets in Death (In Death, #45)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hard Limit (Hacker #4)
    $6.99 $0.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Valorous (Quantum, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tempting Dusty (Temptation Saga, #1)
  • When Never Comes
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures with the Boss (Misadventures, #12)
  • Baby Daddy
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twice Bitten (Argeneau #27)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures of a Good Wife (Misadventures, #6)
  • Calendar Girl: Volume Three
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Storm Warned (Grim, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Real Thing (Sugar Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
“She felt such fury and pain she thought she'd choke on it.” 0 likes