Start by marking “On Writing” as Want to Read:

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  177,456 Ratings  ·  14,013 Reviews
Copy-edited by Esti Ayu Budihabsari

Dia telah melewati masa kecil dalam kemiskinan dan hari-hari melelahkan sebagai pekerja kerah biru, melepaskan diri dari jeratan alkohol dan narkotika, lalu bangkit dari kecelakaan lalu lintas yang hampir merenggut nyawanya. Di tengah semuanya, dia tetap menulis. Dialah Stephen King. Sang raja cerita horor dan thriller dengan puluhan kary
Published September 2005 by Penerbit Qanita (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about On Writing, please sign up.
AJ Elliott There are so many things to take away from this book, but the one that always comes to mind first is "If you don't have time to read, you don't have…moreThere are so many things to take away from this book, but the one that always comes to mind first is "If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time or the tools to write." (less)
Jaime Totally agree about the digital prices being too high, but at the end of the day it is down to the publisher in terms of pricing.

They will maximize…more

They will maximize their profits where they are able.

All things being equal I prefer the physical books but digital makes it a lot easier to carry around a library in your pocket.(less)

Jeffrey Keeten
”Writing isn’t about making money, getting famous, getting dates, getting laid, or making friends. In the end, it’s about enriching the lives of those who will read your work, and enriching your own life, as well. It’s about getting up, getting well, and getting over. Getting happy okay? Getting happy.”

I can’t tell you how many people I’ve talked to over my lifetime who wanted to write a book. Most didn’t know what they wanted to write about, but some of them wanted to write their autobiography
Madeline
Nov 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Let's be honest: Stephen King is not one of the greatest writers of all time. He will never win a Pulitzer or a Nobel (he might win a Newberry though, if he ever decides to tap into the Kids/Young Adult market), and on the few times his books are featured in the New York Times Book Review, the reviewer will treat the book with a sort of haughty disdain, knowing their time could be better spent trashing Joyce Carol Oates.

None of this should suggest, however, that King is not qualified to write a
Ariel
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
There's this magic thing that happens sometimes: I can't wait to reread a book I haven't even finished yet. It's a rare feeling, but one that happens whenever I'm in the midst of a new favourite book. I'm reading these amazing scenes, freaking out over fantastic passages, and already looking forward to the second time I'll read them, when they'll be even clearer and start to feel familiar.

It's a rare occurrence, it only happens a few times a year, but it happened with On Writing. The moment it s
Jayson
(A) 87% | Extraordinary
Notes: The first novel-length book I’d ever finished over the span of one day. Done over two sittings, with a nap in between.
Fabian
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So it's become very clear to me now that very few writers actually write about the craft. The only Latin American writer to do so? Mario Vargas Llosa (who took several years off of his busy novel-writing to write about his now-ex-pal Gabriel Garcia Marquez). But I suddenly forgot who the King was (no, I mean literally: I've not read him in years! High school being the prime time for Stephen King, & all): the guy has useful insight, no shit, because he is not only prolific & uber-successf ...more
Wil Wheaton
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-project
I know it's like saying "puppies are cute," but it bears repeating: everyone who wants to write, whether for a living or not, simply must read this book.

On Writing did more for me as a writer than anything, and any success I've found as a storyteller can be traced to my reading it.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Dec 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any aspiring writer
Shelves: read07, favorites, writing
I read this shortly after finishing NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) this year, actually it would be more accurate to say I devoured it. This is full of great writing advice, and I'll need to get a copy and read it 1-2 times a year. Most helpful? The section on grammar! Seriously, I never really learned grammar.
"Gould said something else that was interesting on the day I turned in my first two pieces: write with the door closed, rewrite with the door open. Your stuff starts out being jus
Riku Sayuj
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is great and if you like writing, it is probably a must read.

I could write a summary of the book, it is easy enough to summarize and there are only a few important points that King presents, but then I dont want you to get it for free. :) Go and read the book yourself, it is worth it.

Rude? As King says, "...if you expect to succeed as a writer, rudeness should be the second-to-least of your concerns. The least of all should be polite society and what it expects. If you intend to write
Joe Valdez
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
January 6, 2018 review

I'm kicking off my fifth year on Goodreads with a re-read of the best book about writing that I've read to date. I've considered that On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft--Stephen King's contribution to the crowded field of How To Write a Novel, published in 2000--might hold this slot due to King being one of my favorite living authors. Ball players can tune out a coach who never made it in the pros quicker than a guy who did and was a superstar to boot, and I'm certainly more
Cecily
description

Like the curate’s egg, this is good in parts. I can see why writers, and budding writers find this book inspirational, and fans of his oeuvre will enjoy learning how certain stories came to be. But it’s several very different books and booklets, within a single set of covers - curious that a book about writing doesn't seem to know what sort of a book it is.

In one of the three forewords, King says “Most books about writing are filled with bullshit”. I found a fair bit here, too. But I also found
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, own, 2018
I haven’t done much writing in the past few years, but reading this book made me want to get back into it. I think Stephen King’s advice will help me be more confident in my writing in the future! Loved this.
Dan Schwent
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf, 2016, 2016-books
Stephen King shares some stories of his past and some writing tips.

This was either my fourth or fifth time reading this. I got it for Christmas around the turn of the century and I've buzz-sawed through it a few times before. The first time, I was just cutting my writing teeth. Now, with seven or eight first drafts of novels lying around, I came to the book with a completely different perspective.

Most books about writing, as I've said before, are by people I've never heard of, and are akin to a
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
There is NO ONE I trust more than Stephen King when it comes to writing
Tom Lewis
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone who’s a Stephen King fan or aspiring writer, this should be a must-have. I listened to the Audible that’s read by King, and I highly recommend it. King’s as good of a storyteller vocally as he is on paper. The breakdown of the book goes like this – the first third is about his background, and what lead him to writing. The middle third is about the mechanics of writing, and for me it was more informative than any college course. He discusses “voice,” and themes, and story, and dialogue ...more
Hannah Greendale
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft offers an illuminating look at Stephen King's life, highlighting moments that shaped him as an author and revealing lessons he gained from decades of practice and publication.

King is unapologetically himself, blending whit and honesty with sophomoric humor and the occasional curse word. For example, when discussing the sin of using passive voice, King provides an example of how not to construct a sentence, followed by the type of commentary one can expect to fi
Lizzy
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's rare to find an author that adventures into writing about his craft, but Stephen King, with On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, is not one of them. Great book: good tips (best one: write something you would want to read!) on how to write along with a nice memoir. Recommended.
J. Kent Messum
There are countless books out there on writing, storytelling, screenwriting, style, etc. A lot of them are too formulaic and more than a bit bloody cliche. To be honest, the majority usually prove to be a waste of time. But there are a few that are great, and 'On Writing' is definitely one of them. Stephen King is a household name, no doubt, but of all Mr. King’s books, this is the one I praise the most. Part biography, part ‘How-to’ manual, this book is a must-read for anyone and everyone.

Ther
فهد الفهد
On Writing

حصلت على هذا الكتاب وقرأته على الكندل، كأول تجربة لي مع هذا الجهاز الرائع والذي صنع بعناية للقراء، أكثر ما أعجبني في الكندل هو أنه يخبرك عن السطور التي أعجبت الكثير من الناس فقاموا بتظليلها، هكذا تتشارك القراءة مع كل من اشترى الكتاب وقرأه على الكندل مثلك.

كتب ستيفن كنج عشرات الروايات والقصص، يكتب بمعدل عالٍ، وتتحول قصصه إلى أفلام شهيرة حال صدورها، في هذا الكتاب يتحدث كنج عن تجربته، عن بداياته مع الكتابة والظروف الصعبة التي مر بها، وكيف كان يعمل في وظيفتين ليعيل زوجة وطفلين، ثم يعود لي
Diane
This book on writing was even better than I expected. I loved that Stephen King shared some memories from childhood and explained how he became a writer.

This book helped me knock off two goals in one: I've been trying to read the best Stephen King books (good grief, the man is prolific) and I'm trying to read more books about writing. King has good advice on ways to improve your writing, but he also has some knockout stories about his life and how they've influenced his novels.

The book ends wi
Jason Koivu
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, favorites
On Writing is for me hands-down the best book I've read about the craft of writing and living the life of a writer by a writer.

This is not a textbook on grammar and sentence structure. No, the subtitle very succinctly describes the contents. This is about Stephen King's journey to become a published author and his experiences in wrestling with words.

To hear stories about how one of the world's most popular authors once upon a time struggled just like the rest of us mortals is refreshing. Those
Helene Jeppesen
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was amazing! Much more than I had hoped for!
As a semi-fan of Stephen King and his writing (I love some of his books, I feel like a lot of the others are dragging), I didn’t really know what to get out of this non-fictional work on writing. I was curious to hear about this craft from one of the most prolific and popular authors out there, but mostly I wanted a behind-the-scenes look on what it’s like to write a book.
I was surprised to find myself immersed from the very beginning, where Ste
Lou
This is a must read for writers, readers and Stephen King fans.
Fully laden with inspiration to walk the walk and start that journey of writing a story of you're own from short story to a full novel. Imagine great writers of the past like Dickens around to give advice to aspiring writers it's a real opportunity to grasp.

This man, Stephen King, worked hard to make himself into a writer and had sheer determination, from working all hours to pay his college education to writing his first stories i
Johann (jobis89)
"Books are a uniquely portable magic."

This book blew my mind!!! I mean, I knew I loved Stephen King and I already knew a lot of the things you learn in this book, but to read it in his own words is even better!

The biographical part of the book was truly amazing, this man has come through so much, whether it's alcoholism, the drug addiction or the accident which nearly killed him. And he's so humble and honest about all of these things. And it just makes me admire him even more.

As for the actual
Robin
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers in need of encouragement
I'm a fan of Stephen King's earlier works and a lot of the classic movie adaptations. I wouldn't say I'm a superfan, but since I am working on changing my status of aspiring writer to published author, I can use all the help I can get, especially from someone as prolific and universally read as he.

We all know King is a master storyteller. So it's not surprising that for much of this book, he's doing just that. The first big chunk of this book is his "C.V." - a charming memoir of his childhood wh
Elizabeth Sagan
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good read for someone who is either interested in Stephen King’s life or wants to become a writer and needs either tips to do it better or some motivation to keep going. If you don’t find yourself in these categories, skip this book.

I’m the kind of person who would read this guy’s socks label if I could, so yeah, 5 stars.
Andrew Smith
This is very much a book of three parts. In the first section, King provides a series of anecdotes that seem somewhat fractured and random. They loosely cover his early years, the time before he became a successful writer. Some of the tales are a little spooky, to be honest. Others clearly portray what it was like for him, his wife and his children when he was spending long hours writing whilst also holding down a day job. He had a number of jobs, some pretty menial, but he eventually settled in ...more
Becky
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephen King Fans
I love Stephen King. I'm not IN love with him, but I love his writing, his stories, his characters, and now, his advice: "Read a lot." (4-6 hours a day, even!)

Yessir, Mr. King! Finally some advice I want to heed! OK, I should say that this is really only a small fraction of the wisdom he imparts in this book, and I neglectfully left out the "write a lot" part that immediately follows "read a lot".

But I have never actually aspired to be a writer, so the reading part is good enough for me. I adm
Leah Williams
Jul 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this book more than five stars. The first 100 or so pages were highly colored anecdotes from SK's childhood (did you know Stephen King had an obese, negligent babysitter who used to sit on his head and fart? me neither). I thought the whole book was going to be like this--a personal history intertwined with the occasional tip about persistence, and that was OK with me. That's how entertaining the first bit is. It certainly makes the book worth reading even for those uninteres ...more
Maria Clara
No se puede negar que Stephen King sabe muy bien de lo que habla, pero yo no me siento cómoda con él. No sé, es como si al leerlo, estuviera viendo un programa en la tv con interferencias; lo siento, no sintonizo bien su pluma. Así que ni caso de esta reseña...
Stepheny

What better day to post a review for this book than on Stephen King’s birthday?

Happy Birthday, ya crazy bastard. ;)

Anyway- as most of the GR community knows I am the real life Annie Wilkes a huge fan of Stephen King. He has been a major influence in my life since I was about 10 years old. His writing changed my life. His books changed my mind; my way of thinking.

Listen, not everyone knows this but I’m about to out myself. I am an aspiring writer. I don’t flash it, I don’t wave it out there for
Are You A Writer? 48 75 Nov 07, 2018 12:48PM
Recommend other Stephen King books? 14 34 May 25, 2018 04:14PM
UHS Honors Englis...: Book Review 4 10 May 04, 2018 10:50PM
Stephen King Fans: On Writing 173 400 Apr 26, 2018 01:53AM
Books on Writing 8 90 Apr 20, 2018 09:25AM
How long does it take you to write a book? 94 5232 Apr 20, 2018 09:20AM
Around the Year i...: On Writing, by Stephen King 5 62 Mar 21, 2018 10:06AM
  • Writing the Breakout Novel
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
  • The 3 A.M. Epiphany
  • Beginnings, Middles & Ends (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Scene & Structure (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Characters and Viewpoint (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Edit Yourself Into Print
  • The Forest for the Trees
  • Stein on Writing: A Master Editor of Some of the Most Successful Writers of Our Century Shares His Craft Techniques and Strategies
  • Write Away: One Novelist's Approach to Fiction and the Writing Life
  • Steering the Craft: Exercises and Discussions on Story Writing for the Lone Navigator or the Mutinous Crew
  • How Not to Write a Novel: 200 Classic Mistakes and How to Avoid Them—A Misstep-by-Misstep Guide
  • The First Five Pages: A Writer's Guide To Staying Out of the Rejection Pile
  • No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers
  • Zen in the Art of Writing
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
“Books are a uniquely portable magic.” 15350 likes