Start by marking “How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightning” as Want to Read:
How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightning

How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightning

Ben Franklin was the most famous American in the entire world during colonial times. No wonder! After all, the man could do just about anything. Why, he was an author and an athlete and a patriot and a scientist and an inventor to boot. He even found a way to steal the lightning right out of the sky.

Is such a thing possible? Is it. Take a look inside and find Ben busy at w
Published December 24th 2002 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightning

Natalie
Fun picture book about all the cool things Ben Franklin invented.
Krysta
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
LOVE THIS BOOK!

I learned so much about Benjamin Franklin. Did you know he was the one that came up with the phrase 'An apple a day keeps the doctor away'? Great to use in a classroom! Informative!
Abby Turner
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, nonfiction
Great fun and very interesting
Eileen W
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting and informative book about Benjamin Franklin. We own it and have read it several times over the years.
Amanda Taylor
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Great book for children to do a report on. Great start of information for the students to research.
Kira Riccio
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
1. (None)
2. Grades 1-3
3. “How Ben Franklin Stole the Lighning” is about Ben Franklin’s life as an inventor with his most famous finding being how to “steal” the lighting from the sky using a kite and a key.
4. I like this historical fiction book because it is very factual and includes a lot of information about Ben Franklin’s many inventions. He is a likeable character.
5. This book can be used when learning about inventions and historical figures in social studies.
Misbah
I remember reading Ben and Me in elementary school and it sparked a deep admiration for Benjamin Franklin that I think anyone who has ever read about him holds.

He accomplished so many things in his lifetime and was truly one of those people who didn't give a shit about anyone else.

This book recounts many of his famous inventions and achievements, focusing on the story that led to his invention of the lightning rod.
Nancy Kotkin
The part about stealing the lightning is good, but the rest of this picture book feels unfocused and not fully fleshed out. There are too many topics included besides the lightning, and they aren't given enough attention.
Michelle
This book was fine, but not as good as some of her other books. It was written on a slightly lower grade and the illustrations were okay. She included fun facts about Benjamin Franklin but did not quote anything that he said or wrote, which is what I really liked in her other books.
Shantel
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: conners-books
battle of the books for Feb 2019
Hannah
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book-I would recommend it ideally for 2-4th, but it is so well written, and has such great vocab- you could take use it in a lesson through sixth grade--if you chose!
Krystle
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very informative book and a great classroom/homeschool resource book. This book will teach you many things you never knew about Ben Franklin and your kids or students will also enjoy this book.
Mickayla
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Grade range: 2-6
Genre: Biography
This is a wonderful, interesting read! I believe this book could be for a student of any age! I found myself very interesting in reading and looking at illustrations of what Ben Franklin did. However, I do believe different ages of students will appreciate it differently.
But overall this is a wonderful informational story and one that I would love to find a way to implement into a future classroom!
James
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Read for Battle of the Books 2018
Cindy Janett
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A captivating biography about Benjamin Franklin. It tells the events of his life in kid-friendly terms and clearly connects all his accomplishments.
Tweller83
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
52 book Challenge: A book about a famous historical figure

Good read with lots of information.
Nathan
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Provides an intriguing glimpse into the life, interests and inventions of Benjamin Franklin.
Rachel
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
While I enjoyed the illustrations, the writing style is lacking. Many of the sentences started with ‘and’. Some sentences were not complete, “And the first clock with a second hand.”
Linsy Carson
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This book was a great historical children's book on Ben Franklin. The illustrations in the book are just as well as the information and writing. I even learned a few new things about him myself!
Lynn
Charming picture book about how Benjamin Franklin proved that lightening was electricity.
Kelley Mitchell
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Franklin story for read-aloud. It has a folksy, tall-tale kind of voice that would be awesome for read aloud. Kind of long, we will see how first grade holds out.
Haley Hoenke
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
History, Science, Ben Franklin
Ally Lybbert
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eled-340
Picture Book, historical, biography
I would have this one in my classroom.
I like the idea of having a lot of biographies and have the students practice summarizing skills by presenting their person to the class. They could make posters etc.

The illustrations were cute.
This was by no means a holistic overview of Ben Franklin's life but I think it's okay to edit for the benefit of younger readers.
Britt Guild
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I wasn't sure about this book when I first brought it home from the library. I thought that it was going to portray the history of Ben Franklin's life in a very campy unrealistic way, but I was wrong. The illustrations that walked the reader through Ben Franklin's life were very inventive and intricate, and I was surprised that my daughter wanted to read this book twice. We both learned a lot about Franklin's inventions from swim paddles to bifocals to the lightening rod. The book expanded my kn ...more
Kaycee
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Almost every child is afraid and fascinated of thunderstorms. This story shows how Ben Franklin was also afraid and fascinated by thunderstorms, too; and almost everything else! This book gives a simple, direct biography of some of Benjamin Franklin's great scientific achivements. It goes through the different ways he helped people and invented useful things as a boy all the way to his most famous invention as an adult, the lightning rod. The story is told from an invisibel narrator's first pers ...more
Angela Ricci
"How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightning" is a fact filled informational piece about Ben Franklin and the impact he has made on the United States History. This book contained a lot of information about the different inventions of Benjamin Franklin told in a quick way for kids and ending with his discoveries about lightning. It also contained fun facts like how Ben Franklin was the one to create the saying "An apple a day keeps the doctor away!" That is a fun fact for classrooms. Personally, I learn ...more
Dolly
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We recently read Ben Franklin and the Magic Square, which covered some of the same material that is presented in this book. But while that book focused on his discovery of his 'most magically magical magic squares,' this book centers on his experiments with electricity and his creation of lightning rods.

The narrative in this book is comprehensive enough to give a child a good understanding of many of Ben Franklin's accomplishments, without being overly detailed or boring. I liked the author's n
Nicole
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
We've all heard the story of Ben Franklin flying his kite in the storm, but did you ever wonder how that experiment worked or what inspired him to look at lightning in the first place? This easy read answers those questions as it tells about Ben Franklin the inventor.

In addition to the text in the main body, the author notes at the end which list some of Franklin's scientific work, are also fascinating. Franklin once wrote, "If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, eith
Becky B
Rosalyn Schanzer introduces kids to some of the amazing and crazy accomplishments of Benjamin Franklin, focusing on his scientific endeavours.

This is a very engaging picture book biography of Benjamin Franklin. A cartoonish, fun-looking Franklin is found on each of the pages to guide readers through. Schanzer shares why the invention of the lightning rod was so important to people of the time, that's her main focus, but she does a great introduction to all Franklin's other various interests as
Angel
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Title: How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightening

Author: Rosalyn Schanzer

Publication date: Dec 2002

Annotation:
This book is written for young readers and tells of the many inventions created by Ben Franklin. The book also depicts his influences on society such as coining the phrase, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away".

Themes: historical fiction, biography, colonial times, inventions

Ways to use the book with children:

Read aloud

Children could create a booktrailer or electronic presentation on Ben Fr
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Hershey's Fractions
  • Sandy's Circus: A Story About Alexander Calder
  • You Forgot Your Skirt, Amelia Bloomer!
  • Ruby Bridges Goes To School: My True Story
  • Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin
  • Astronaut Handbook
  • Mighty Jackie: The Strike-Out Queen
  • So You Want to Be an Inventor?
  • Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave
  • A Drop Of Water: A Book of Science and Wonder
  • Fourth Down and Inches: Concussions and Football's Make-Or-Break Moment
  • One Beetle Too Many: The Extraordinary Adventures of Charles Darwin
  • How Do You Lift a Lion?
  • Only Passing Through
  • Barnum's Bones: How Barnum Brown Discovered the Most Famous Dinosaur in the World
  • Penguin Chick