Start by marking “Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia” as Want to Read:
Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia

Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia (Landmark Books #28)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  217 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Benjamin Franklin was one of the busiest men in the American colonies. He was a printer, a postmaster, an inventor, a writer, and a diplomat. When the Revolutionary War began, Ben supported America in the Continental Congress. Like the clever adages from his Poor Richard’s Almanac, Ben Franklin still sets an example for Americans today.
Published January 27th 2004 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia

Vidal Ovando
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book. I learn more of Benjamin Franklin than I ever have. I learn he help draft the Declaration of Independence and help the Continental Congress. I also learned more of his inventions and the way he lived back in the 17th hundreds. I learned some of his influential people and his struggles and challenges that he had to face in his life. I recommend this book to people who like history or just need help on a project about history or Benjamin Franklin.
Rich F
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tween
I picked up this book because the Landmark series were dusty, old hardcovers that a couple of my friends and I loved from our elementary school library when we were in 4th and 5th grade. It gave me a good foundation of figures and events in American history, albeit in a very rosy way. I remember that Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia was one of my favorites, and I decided to give it a try now to see if it stood the test of time. (These were also books that my grandfather read as a child, so they ...more
Andrew Kukulski
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would love to find a copy of this edition of the book (1963 hardcover). This is one of the books that first got me interested in history in elementary school, back in the 1980s. There was a copy of this edition in the our school library. I checked it out several times, along with many similar children's history books. While they may not provide the most complete view of history, I owe my lifelong love of the subject in part to them. I hope I can find one.
Marissa Hughes
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This was very informative book especially when it is a young children's book. I recommend this book to anyone who loves/likes history.
Laura Verret
Benjamin Franklin was born in 1706, the son of a Boston-dwelling candlemaker. One of seventeen children born to Josiah Franklin, Benjamin was never bored – in fact, sometimes he was a little too busy! He would often go swimming with friends down at the wharf and one time even organized his friends to build their own wharf! Even from his earliest days, Benjamin was a planner and a motivator.

When he was 12, Benjamin’s father felt it was time for Benjamin to begin training in a profession. But whic
I read this biography aloud to my children.

Until I read this book, I had no idea how brilliant Ben Franklin was! When I think of Franklin, I think about how he had flown a kite in a thunderstorm with a metal key attached to the string and felt the electric shock in his hand. I knew he invented the lightning rod and proved that electricity and lightning are identical, and I had heard of the Franklin stove, but I did not realize the extent of his inventions! He had only one year of formal educatio
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia by Margaret Cousins was a great book.This book was about Ben Franklin's life.This book talked about how Ben became who we all think of him today. Bens life story is really intersting and this book tells you a lot.However this book also leaves out some important information and extra reasarsh is needed. The author still did a good job on the book and I recommened this book to any one who really likes history
from this book i learned that benjamin franklin started out with nothing. and he became one of the most famous americans in the history of our country. he taught himself many different jobs such as being a printer. he worked for his brother named james and learned a skill from him. from there he went on to thinking about how to improve the lives of people who were living during his time. he invented the franklin stove(home heating), he experimented with lightning, and invented bifocals. eventual ...more
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010-2019
This is a landmark book, and I'm starting to realize why these books are so highly esteemed. I read it with my 10 year old son, who loves to tinker with things. He really started to love Ben Franklin. I learned a lot about Franklin as well as an adult. (My standard for a worthy kids' book is that I enjoy reading it.) I did give it 4 stars because it jumps around a bit, focusing on an aspect of Franklin's life per chapter, instead of a smoother chronological approach.
Raymond Ruiz
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was a really informational book. When I was reading it all the information about Ben Franklin was more than I knew. Every time I read informational I always get bored, but this time I really liked it. If I would read any book I wouldn't really like it so this was really surprising that I enjoyed the book. I recommend this book for people who like to read Informational books or books about Ben Franklin.
The other John
May 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
This one's a simple biography of Benjamin Franklin. Like most juvenile bios, it's pretty simplistic and positive. In the case of Ben Franklin, I think that causes the work to suffer. Franklin was a very accomplished man. Since he did so many things and space in the book is limited, the book occasionally degenerates into a list of his accomplishments, with only the most minimal story to carry it along. That alone makes the story of this most interesting man into mere waiting room material.
May 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought this book was interesting because it told about Ben Fanklin sailing all over the world and visiting lots of countries. He was a very, very smart man. He was a genius! He made lots of really neat inventions, including the Ben Franklin iron stove and the lightning rod. Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia is a book worth reading because you will learn a lot about history and Ben Franklin.

5th grade
Lauren Barton
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book had lots of interesting information about Ben Franklin. My son and I both learned a lot we didn't know before about Franklin's life. The writing is simple and straightforward; it is not great literature. But, we were both very engaged in the book and eager to keep reading it. So, I still gave it 4 stars.
Franklin, always proud of his working class roots, became a successful newspaper editor and printer in Philadelphia, the leading city in the colonies.[6] With two partners he published the Pennsylvania Chronicle, a newspaper that was known for its revolutionary sentiments and criticisms of the British policies. He became wealthy publishing Poor Richard's Almanack and The Pennsylvania Gazette
Vianni Richards
Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia was a great book about Benjamin Franklin, and how he affected the world. It explained his little boy years to the years of him helping the 13 colonies become their own country. I recommend this book to people who like interesting and exciting history.
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love these Landmark History books for kids. We've read several so far and they are all chock full of history but written in an engaging style. The boys and I read these out loud together and frequently stop to say, "No way! That's so cool! I didn't know that!" These are a hit.
Ava Thompson
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-books
A book covering all the details of printer, inventor, and patriot, Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia.
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a short little book for kids, but is there enough here to make MF "come alive" in their imaginations?
This was an okay overveiw of Benjamin Franklin's life but it was not very infomatitive. But it was a nice quick read, I read it in two hours.
Sep 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
A thorough and easy-to-read biography of Benjamin Franklin that traces his entire life from his birth in Boston in 1706 to his death in Philadelphia in 1790.
Christi Guess
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Read this book so many times from my school library that the librarian finally (sweetly) stopped letting me check it out. She'd give me "suggestions" to get me onto other reading. :)
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good juvenile biography of Ben Franklin. Easy to read and gives an excellent overview of his life and accomplishments, considering the age group for whom it is written.
WSL Library
Nov 18, 2013 added it
Shelves: biography
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I think my opinion on this book varied, because I think they skipped through his lifetime a little too fast. I think someone who would like this book would like historical books.
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great overview of Benjamin Franklins life written for young people and interesting for anyone who wants to learn more about him. Surprised at all that he accomplished.
Julia Reffner
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sonlight Core D Readaloud. Good biography, we enjoy the Landmark series. Not quite as much fun as Jean Fritz's What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin? but a thorough kid's biography.
Jan 26, 2016
  • The Story Of Thomas Alva Edison
  • What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin
  • The Journeyman
  • Skippack School
  • Mr. Revere and I: Being an Account of certain Episodes in the Career of Paul Revere,Esq. as Revealed by his Horse
  • George Washington Carver: Man's Slave Becomes God's Scientist (Sower Series)
  • Martha Washington: America's First First Lady
  • Imprisoned in the Golden City
  • Swift Rivers
  • North American Indians
  • A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt

Landmark Books (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • The Voyages of Christopher Columbus
  • The Landing of the Pilgrims
  • Pocahontas and Captain John Smith: The Story of the Virginia Colony
  • Paul Revere and the Minute Men
  • Our Independence and the Constitution
  • The California Gold Rush (Landmark Books, 6)
  • The Pony Express